Grand Californian Super Thread

We're booked in a 2 bedroom suite in March, and I'd love help in trying to figure out first/second/third choices to request. We've got 6 adults, a 3yr old and 9 month old (DH, DS and girlfriend, DD, her hubby, and their two little ones).
The red areas show the one-bedroom suites; add an adjacent room to make it a two or three bedroom.
Would love to see fireworks, so I was leaning towards *452 on the 4th or 5th floors (upper right corner, lower of the two suites at that end), which adjoins with *454 to make it a 2 bedroom, and I believe overlooks DTD/DL, and DCA. I know it's far from elevators, but really would love to see DL/fireworks, if possible. I think our second choice is *329 or *331, which are across from Napa Rose elevators and overlook DCA/Grizzly Peak. People have raved about the locations of rooms in this area, due to convenience to elevators. But I don't think there's a view of fireworks/DL.
Any chance anyone has stayed in these and has any photos to share? I did find a video of I believe *452, but it was shot at night, so it was hard to see the view. From a Google Earth photo, it looks like this suite might overlook the alley behind Soarin. Thank you very much for any intel! This is our first time at GC; very excited about staying there. :)
2 BR suites map.jpg

We're booked in a 2 bedroom suite in March, and I'd love help in trying to figure out first/second/third choices to request. We've got 6 adults, a 3yr old and 9 month old (DH, DS and girlfriend, DD, her hubby, and their two little ones).
The red areas show the one-bedroom suites; add an adjacent room to make it a two or three bedroom.
Would love to see fireworks, so I was leaning towards *452 on the 4th or 5th floors (upper right corner, lower of the two suites at that end), which adjoins with *454 to make it a 2 bedroom, and I believe overlooks DTD/DL, and DCA. I know it's far from elevators, but really would love to see DL/fireworks, if possible. I think our second choice is *329 or *331, which are across from Napa Rose elevators and overlook DCA/Grizzly Peak. People have raved about the locations of rooms in this area, due to convenience to elevators. But I don't think there's a view of fireworks/DL.
Any chance anyone has stayed in these and has any photos to share? I did find a video of I believe *452, but it was shot at night, so it was hard to see the view. From a Google Earth photo, it looks like this suite might overlook the alley behind Soarin. Thank you very much for any intel! This is our first time at GC; very excited about staying there. :)
View attachment 832099
I received one at the front desk on check in!
I believe we stayed in 452/352 a lot of years ago (maybe 20), i remember loving the view of DTD but hating the walk to the room. it took forever. there was an emergency exit staircase that you could go out but could not get back in that way. i don't remember if we could see the fireworks.

I believe we stayed in 452/352 a lot of years ago (maybe 20), i remember loving the view of DTD but hating the walk to the room. it took forever. there was an emergency exit staircase that you could go out but could not get back in that way. i don't remember if we could see the fireworks.
Thank you for your input! I've been told that the trees have grown quite a bit, so that the views that might have been available in the past (from lower floors, at least) might now be blocked by trees.

View attachment 832358
This is the view from 3452 taken July 2023. Soarin' building and restrooms across from it.
Thanks very much for the photo - that gives a great idea of how the trees might be affecting the view. Do you remember if you could see Grizzly Peak/any fireworks? And was the distance from the elevators ok for you, or did it feel too far? Thanks again - really appreciate the photo.

Does it make sense to request a room by the Napa rose elevators when we have a standard view? Is there even standard views in the area? do they ever accommodate the request if not?

I've always reserved Standard view and always request near the Napa Rose elevators. My rooms have been on the 2nd floor, with a partial view (due to trees/vegetation) of DCA or the pool. I'm fairly sure they have been giving me Woods/Courtyard room though?

Does it make sense to request a room by the Napa rose elevators when we have a standard view? Is there even standard views in the area? do they ever accommodate the request if not?
Yes, I have done it many times. They'll note your request when you make the reservation and sometimes you'll get. But I go to the front desk when I arrive, even if I've already checked in online. They may say "Good news! Your room is ready!" and I have them show me on a map where they plan to put me. If I arrive in the morning and my room is ready, it's very likely not an ideal location so I mention my request and if they say they don't have anything ready (which is also quite likely), I say I'm happy to wait for it.

There are rooms in most parts of the hotel that are standard, usually because they don't meet the specs of the view category. I am much more interested in the location than the view, but the views are usually pretty nice anyway.

Is the business center open? I'll be staying for four days next week and have some work to do. All I could find with Google searches was that into 2022 it was still closed due to Covid.

Is there a resort map that shows where the different views are located. Interested in the woods/courtyard views.

TIA

I have a question about room discounts. If I book now for November, will I be able to get a price adjustment if Disney announces a fall sale? It's usually 20%, I think, so would save me alot. If I wait to book until Sept or Oct the standard rooms might be gone.

I have a question about room discounts. If I book now for November, will I be able to get a price adjustment if Disney announces a fall sale? It's usually 20%, I think, so would save me alot. If I wait to book until Sept or Oct the standard rooms might be gone.
Yes, I do this for my annual Dec trip. I always book early and then call and adjust once the sale comes out, which isn't usually until Sept or something.

Sometimes the sale doesn't include a standard room, but the sale on the next level up is still less than the rack rate standard.

Edited to add that you can still book a standard room now and just upgrade when the sale comes along if standard isn't included. At least you'll know you have a room. This is what I do.

Yes, I do this for my annual Dec trip. I always book early and then call and adjust once the sale comes out, which isn't usually until Sept or something.

Sometimes the sale doesn't include a standard room, but the sale on the next level up is still less than the rack rate standard.

Edited to add that you can still book a standard room now and just upgrade when the sale comes along if standard isn't included. At least you'll know you have a room. This is what I do.
Thanks, DizMe! That's a good idea. I was thinking of changing to a courtyard view instead now, but I'll just keep the standard and hope courtyard is available later.

Thanks, DizMe! That's a good idea. I was thinking of changing to a courtyard view instead now, but I'll just keep the standard and hope courtyard is available later.
I did the same exact thing for our August trip. We booked standard at GCH but if a discount comes out and a better room is cheaper, even better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter