• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

I just saw on Instagram that someone posted the Christmas tree in the Grand hasn’t gone up yet. This surprised me as I thought all the Christmas decorations resort wide would be up by Nov 12th.

Does anyone know when the hotel’s tree goes up? If anyone sees the tree going up could you report back on this thread?

Big big thank you!

I just saw on Instagram that someone posted the Christmas tree in the Grand hasn’t gone up yet. This surprised me as I thought all the Christmas decorations resort wide would be up by Nov 12th.

Does anyone know when the hotel’s tree goes up? If anyone sees the tree going up could you report back on this thread?

Big big thank you!
I’m here now. I was told that they will begin on the 14th

and they just started on the gingerbread house. But that takes about 2 weeks to complete

You can get robes, you just need to ask the front desk and they can bring them up with slippers. Same with extra toiletries. Don’t get me wrong- I got totally hosed on the Merriest Nights though. Waited in line for an hour and a half to just get into the party with my lights. As I got to the front of the line finally….that moment of feeling like a champion deflated fast when they told me I know had to sign up for the virtual queue to get Merriest Nights merchandise. Thankfully, even after a 3 long wait to get the text, they still had things available- one item of each for every party member.

I as told by a friend who goes to Walt Disney Land often who told me they give free hot cocoa and cookies, in Disneyland that is not the case. There isn’t anything for free. It’s something that is good to go to….but maybe only once. 😁

Thank you so much!!
Tree was not yet up when we left on the 14th but perhaps the Castmember that I spoke to meant the week of the 14th
The Gingerbread house continues to evolve.
The did have the holiday treat stand

Last edited:

Does anyone know if they will be offering photos with Santa in the lobby? If so, will we be required to keep our mask on?

Has anyone visited Hearthstone recently? I'm wondering how easy it is to get a seat these days. We arrive in the evening on my birthday and I'm trying to decide where to go for dessert, and I like the options at Hearthstone. Doesn't seem like there's too many good dessert choices in the hotels and downtown disney and reservations aren't lining up well with our arrival time. Anyone have any experiences there lately?

Is mobile checkin new? Stayed at GCH a few times and never noticed it before. Going in 2 weeks and planned on calling for a room location request. Can I do that during mobile check in or should I still call ahead?

Mobile checkin is simple stuff; saves time at checkin, but still need to go up to desk for everything to complete

Is mobile checkin new? Stayed at GCH a few times and never noticed it before. Going in 2 weeks and planned on calling for a room location request. Can I do that during mobile check in or should I still call ahead?
Unable to do request through the mobile check in. I would call prior to arrival. Mobile check-in is basically getting your name/address/card.

We did it for DLH in Sept. Had our room number ready before arrival. Bell hop walked with us straight to our room. We had a digital key on the app. But only works for one person/App. Still had to get a physical key for my husband. Prefer a physical key.
For our recent stay at GCH, with Dapper Day rates, it really helped to do mobile check-in. They don't have any of your information in the system. This is also the case with any third party bookings. We arrived early (9am) so the line wasn't long (but still a 10-15 minute wait). But still needed keys and I actually needed to speak to the front desk. I called 3 days ahead to make a room request. Which was honored.

It is kind of throwback style checkin with GCH. Only thing missing is those old punch cards that hotels used at checkin (we saw that at Harris Ranch this summer!)

Well we just got back from our first stay at GCH yesterday. Super happy that the tree went up while we were there otherwise I would’ve been very disappointed! The gingerbread house was underwhelming in my opinion but I guess it’s not finished yet… Seems very strange to me that it wouldn’t be done by the time the holidays officially started. Overall we had a great stay but my cousin who also came had quite a few issues. It took hours for her bags to be delivered to her room from bell service and took over 45 minutes to get room keys. They are definitely understaffed!

Has anyone visited Hearthstone recently? I'm wondering how easy it is to get a seat these days. We arrive in the evening on my birthday and I'm trying to decide where to go for dessert, and I like the options at Hearthstone. Doesn't seem like there's too many good dessert choices in the hotels and downtown disney and reservations aren't lining up well with our arrival time. Anyone have any experiences there lately?
It's been about 8 weeks since I've been there, but it was easy to find a table in the evening. I think it was around 6 or 7pm.

I agree that the desserts are best there. Just wanted to throw out that you can also get to go type stuff in DTD (Sprinkles, Salt and Straw, the place with the over the top shakes) and find an outdoor seat somewhere there or take back to the hotel lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter