Grand Californian Super Thread

They are very successful business people that work six to seven days a week, every week. That is why they are successful. They live well within their means, waiting for sales to purchase things like clothing, furniture, etc. But, when they go on vacation, they splurge and spend some money on things like Disneyland, Disney Cruises, etc
Waving over here... I spent the evening servicing the AC unit at my rental property vs. calling an AC tech. I can build or fix anything. At my salary I shouldn't do anything manual that I do, but given I can build or fix anything (electrician, plumber, mason, mechanic, carpenter, roofer, landscaper, etc...I even resewed the leather sole on one of my boots the other day....). I scrimp and save in my personal life, live debt free, but when I vacation, I VACATION.

Waving over here... I spent the evening servicing the AC unit at my rental property vs. calling an AC tech. I can build or fix anything. At my salary I shouldn't do anything manual that I do, but given I can build or fix anything (electrician, plumber, mason, mechanic, carpenter, roofer, landscaper, etc...I even resewed the leather sole on one of my boots the other day....). I scrimp and save in my personal life, live debt free, but when I vacation, I VACATION.

:chat: Were not the only ones, lots of people do it! The wife and I have spent over thirty years to get where we are. But, scimp on lots of things like cars, home furniture, etc so, we can afford things like DL stays at the DLH or the Grand for a few days. We enjoy it when we get the chance. While I was in Washington, we had a security officer that worked an extra job for eighteen months so he could take his wife and five children to DL for three days. When he returned from his DL vacation I asked him if it was worth working the extra hours? He smiled and said it was worth every single minute. pixiedust:
Traveling for work is completely different than for pleasure. Getting recognized going through O'Hare and having people ask your opinion is part of the business adventure. Getting recognized at DL and being asked if I have been to the character breakfast at Goofy's yet, is kinda FUN!(Yes, the wife and I have both been spotted at DL by people in our fields). Gotta enjoy it while you can!:hyper2:

Has anyone used the gym at the Grand since it was refurbished (it was, right?) I'm pretty sure they have free weights (dumbbells) - has anyone happened to notice what weight they go up to?

I booked a 3 bedroom suite today at the GC for June 2019. It will be for my husband, me ,my son ,his wife and my 4 grandchildren. I am very lucky to be a retired cast member and to have gotten a 50% off discount. We are all very excited to stay there. Can anyone give me any help on what to expect? I have been reading this thread and finding all the information very helpful.

Can anyone give me any help on what to expect? I have been reading this thread and finding all the information very helpful.

The three one, two and three bedroom suites are just like connected standard rooms with a common area. Not anything more special than a standard room. The signature suites are where the cool factor starts coming into play!

The three one, two and three bedroom suites are just like connected standard rooms with a common area. Not anything more special than a standard room. The signature suites are where the cool factor starts coming into play!
That is what the reservation cm explained to me. I wish I got my cast discount on those signature suites! The 3 bedroom suite was cheaper to book than 3 rooms at club level. I will be adding club level to the room when we check in.

Has anyone used the gym at the Grand since it was refurbished (it was, right?) I'm pretty sure they have free weights (dumbbells) - has anyone happened to notice what weight they go up to?

Yes the new gym is where Pinocchio's Workshop used to be. It is very nice and new and large and has complementary cool towels, water and energy type bars. I didn't notice the exact free weights available but I did notice a fairly large dumbbell being lifted if that helps any.

Does anyone know if I could connect an Apple TV to the tvs in the GCV rooms? I NEED noise when I sleep and usually put Netflix on my laptop but I end up sleeping funny trying to watch it on the nightstand and often hurt my back over the course of a trip. I'm hoping I could bring one of my Apple TV boxes and hook that up to the tv instead so that it's in the usual place and for once I won't hurt my back.

TIA

Yes... our suite had 2 very large samsung tvs with about 5 hdmi inputs. We hooked our apple tv up but honestly we never watched it. After all day in the park we immediately slept each of the six days we were there.

I booked a 3 bedroom suite today at the GC for June 2019. It will be for my husband, me ,my son ,his wife and my 4 grandchildren. I am very lucky to be a retired cast member and to have gotten a 50% off discount. We are all very excited to stay there. Can anyone give me any help on what to expect? I have been reading this thread and finding all the information very helpful.

I can tell you we just stayed in a 1 bedroom suite it had a separate bedroom area (connected by double/french doors) the living room area had a very large sectional couch that converted into a queen size bed. Also there was a mini refrigerator and a keurig. There were two bathrooms both had showers and one had a full size tub
I can try and post pictures later if interested
We added the concierge to ours at check in ($250 per night) well worth the money imo. We returned to the hotel alot since it was so close and there was always a well stocked assortment of food and drinks included and the five of us took advantage. Viewing fireworks from the veranda is ok. And it was a nice place to stay when housekeeping wasnt done with your room just yet

Yes... our suite had 2 very large samsung tvs with about 5 hdmi inputs. We hooked our apple tv up but honestly we never watched it. After all day in the park we immediately slept each of the six days we were there.

Excellent thanks! I pass out quickly after park days but can be woken easily without something to cover random noises... plus I work overnights so even though technically the time difference is only an hour from here to there going from getting up at 3pm for work and getting up at 530am for park days is a big difference!

Does anyone know if I could connect an Apple TV to the tvs in the GCV rooms?...
Short answer: Get an Amazon Fire TV

Long answer: GCH (and most hotels) utilizes a captive portal which requires accepting terms on a web page. Apple TV lacks a web browser, so there is no way view the web page to accept. When hardwired ethernet was available (prior to the renovation) I used an Apple Airport to create my own wifi network for an Apple TV. It might be possible to contact the hotel IT department to authorize an Apple TV (by the ethernet address), or spoof the ethernet address on another device -- either option is too much like work for my vacation.

I tried the Roku Stick (at GCH) which uses another device (your phone or tablet) to view the captive portal page, but this was not reliable. While the Roku worked for several nights, it required several restarts and eventually stopped working.

The Amazon Fire TV 4K (lower priced Fire TV Stick should also work) worked without issue in both a VGC room and a pool cabana during a visit this past June. Fire connects to a HDMI port on the back of the TV and power can be supplied by a USB port on the TV (or a power adapter). Try Fire TV at home, to load required apps and authorize streaming services. iTunes is not supported, but purchased iTunes movies (not TV shows) can be viewed on using Movies Anywhere (aptly named).

Important Note: Depending on the specific TV model (or configuration) it can be confusing to select the HDMI input. The INPUT button on the TV remote will work on some TVs. On other TVs, scroll through the channels to find the HDMI input (channel 92 or close). One of these methods should work on any tv at GCH

Short answer: Get an Amazon Fire TV

Long answer: GCH (and most hotels) utilizes a captive portal which requires accepting terms on a web page. Apple TV lacks a web browser, so there is no way view the web page to accept. When hardwired ethernet was available (prior to the renovation) I used an Apple Airport to create my own wifi network for an Apple TV. It might be possible to contact the hotel IT department to authorize an Apple TV (by the ethernet address), or spoof the ethernet address on another device -- either option is too much like work for my vacation.

I tried the Roku Stick (at GCH) which uses another device (your phone or tablet) to view the captive portal page, but this was not reliable. While the Roku worked for several nights, it required several restarts and eventually stopped working.

The Amazon Fire TV 4K (lower priced Fire TV Stick should also work) worked without issue in both a VGC room and a pool cabana during a visit this past June. Fire connects to a HDMI port on the back of the TV and power can be supplied by a USB port on the TV (or a power adapter). Try Fire TV at home, to load required apps and authorize streaming services. iTunes is not supported, but purchased iTunes movies (not TV shows) can be viewed on using Movies Anywhere (aptly named).

Important Note: Depending on the specific TV model (or configuration) it can be confusing to select the HDMI input. The INPUT button on the TV remote will work on some TVs. On other TVs, scroll through the channels to find the HDMI input (channel 92 or close). One of these methods should work on any tv at GCH

Darn... Amazon Fire isn't available in Canada so I can't see me getting a stick just for my US trips... I do have some TV saved on various USB drives but some TVs they work on when plugged in directly and others they don't. I'll probably end up just streaming on my laptop as usual I guess...

ETA I did some looking around and I guess Amazon Fire is finally a thing here. I hadn't looked in over a year and a half.

I am the same way as far as sleep, and usually just put it on the Fireworks station and get Disney music all night, or put it on Cozi TV. We do use a Fire Stick also.

Staying in January at VGC 2 bedroom dedicated villa. Is it worth it to request anything? First time at DL! ... Just go with whatever they give?

I can tell you we just stayed in a 1 bedroom suite it had a separate bedroom area (connected by double/french doors) the living room area had a very large sectional couch that converted into a queen size bed. Also there was a mini refrigerator and a keurig. There were two bathrooms both had showers and one had a full size tub
I can try and post pictures later if interested
We added the concierge to ours at check in ($250 per night) well worth the money imo. We returned to the hotel alot since it was so close and there was always a well stocked assortment of food and drinks included and the five of us took advantage. Viewing fireworks from the veranda is ok. And it was a nice place to stay when housekeeping wasnt done with your room just yet
Thank you for replying. If you can post a picture of the living space I would appreciate it!

I can try and post pictures later if interested...
I'm also interested in photos.

All the pre-renovation 1-bedroom suite floorplans only showed 1 bathroom, so perhaps the second bathroom is new. If you don't mind, please provide the room number.

All the pre-renovation 1-bedroom suite floorplans only showed 1 bathroom, so perhaps the second bathroom is new. If you don't mind, please provide the room number.

I have had pre renovation 1BR w/2 full baths. Was basically two connect standard rooms with a bigger pass through door and second room was a living room rather than beds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter