Grand Californian Super Thread

Perhaps you should look at renting points for a 2 bedroom villa (can sleep 9). Then you can bring your sister too... You can probably rent a villa for not much more than the cost of a standard room. Check out www.dvcrequest.com.
An important limitation of renting points is the strict cancellation policy. If your dates are firm and you plan far enough in advance, renting can be a great option.

Sept 4 - Oct 6 have the lowest rates: 342 points/week
Points rent for $13, so that's $4,446/week for a 2 bedroom villa.
This might seem expensive, but it is less than 2 standard hotel rooms or a 1 bedroom suite at the Grand.
If you are going to push your budget, this is the way to do it.

We visited the GC last week as we were having dinner at Napa Rose. What an amazing experience at their chef's counter! For anyone considering dinner here, I did a review here.

Next time we are in DL I'll do some better planning and hopefully land a room at GC Villas...

Thanks for a great review, makes me want to go back again! There is a thread on this board where people post pictures from their NR Chef's counter experiences. No one has posted there in a while, you might consider breathing some new life into the thread.

Perhaps you should look at renting points for a 2 bedroom villa (can sleep 9). Then you can bring your sister too... You can probably rent a villa for not much more than the cost of a standard room. Check out www.dvcrequest.com.

i would suggest this as well. A 2 br Villa will have three bathrooms. Your parents can have the master, if you had a dedicated, the kids could have the second bedroom and they would not have their own door to sneak out. Your sister could even come too. You could sleep in the living room and each set of folks will have their own bathroom. Even if you don't cook meals you will find the full kitchen a blessing!

Excellent responses everybody. I couldn't get a straight answer out anyone until I visited this site.

Here's a couple questions about renting a DVC unit through that website. I'm not a Vacation Club member, so I'm wholly unfamiliar with the process. How far in advance do I need to reserve one of these rooms. Other people have posted that they sought a week at a room, but could only snag 3 or 4 days. That website says to place a reservation at least 10 months early, but I guess demand differs season-to-season. We're looking at one of the two weeks after Labor Day (I hear it's one of the least crowded times of the year as the locals are back in school). Do you think it will be just as difficult to get a villa if I wait a little bit? I'm saving the money right now, and hope to have everything paid for by May.

How far in advance do I need to reserve one of these rooms. Other people have posted that they sought a week at a room, but could only snag 3 or 4 days. That website says to place a reservation at least 10 months early, but I guess demand differs season-to-season. We're looking at one of the two weeks after Labor Day (I hear it's one of the least crowded times of the year as the locals are back in school). Do you think it will be just as difficult to get a villa if I wait a little bit? I'm saving the money right now, and hope to have everything paid for by May.
You need to book as soon a possible.
The rates (points/night) changes seasonally to balance demand. This means that although you want to travel in a low demand week, the lower points rate increases demand.

Only owners at VGC can book 11 months in advance, so you would be renting points from a VGC owner. Any DVC owner may book at 7 months in advance, which will greatly reduce your ability to book.

On a positive note, a 2-bedroom is generally easier to book than a studio :thumbsup2

Excellent responses everybody. I couldn't get a straight answer out anyone until I visited this site.

Here's a couple questions about renting a DVC unit through that website. I'm not a Vacation Club member, so I'm wholly unfamiliar with the process. How far in advance do I need to reserve one of these rooms. Other people have posted that they sought a week at a room, but could only snag 3 or 4 days. That website says to place a reservation at least 10 months early, but I guess demand differs season-to-season. We're looking at one of the two weeks after Labor Day (I hear it's one of the least crowded times of the year as the locals are back in school). Do you think it will be just as difficult to get a villa if I wait a little bit? I'm saving the money right now, and hope to have everything paid for by May.

Personally when I rent points my policy is 50% payment at the time of booking and the remainder at least 45 days in advance. I would start looking for some one to rent from before the 7 month window opens. After that it will become more difficult to get the days that you want.

Well, I'll have to risk it when it comes to the Villa's availability. I'm at least 3 months away from having this vacation paid for. My original plan was to hold off spending any money until June. I figured the late summer/early fall travel deals would be available by then. (All of the currently available discounts expire in February.)

The main reason I'm shooting for September is because I hear that the Disney Parks are pretty dead post-Labor day. Locals are back in school, the majority of out-of-state vacationers (at least those with kids) are pooped, and I assume that a result of those low-crowds will make hotel rooms cheaper and easier to come by. I've put a pin in the wall for September 11 thru September 17. I know that a couple rides are guaranteed to go down for overlays during that time, but will open back up before we head home. I also know that late September gets a little busy. Has anyone visited the parks around those weeks?

Here's my chief concern with those dates: refurbs. I hear that a lot of rides go down for extended refurbs during September. We had a disappointing trip about ten years ago, when nearly every big E-ticket in every land was closed: Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and a pair of Fantasyland dark rides. What wasn't closed had +/-45 minute waits. That trip was just a major bummer for our family, and we've been extra careful about picking the right dates ever since. That's another big reason why I'm reluctant to plunk down money for a trip that's 8 months away. I'm totally willing to part with the money; I just want to make sure I get my money's worth.

So I'm going to wait until the summer to make my reservations. I'll try and get a DVC 2 bedroom Villa, and if that doesn't work out, I'll have to dip into my savings and just reserve two conjoined rooms the old fashioned way.

Here's my chief concern with those dates: refurbs. I hear that a lot of rides go down for extended refurbs during September. We had a disappointing trip about ten years ago, when nearly every big E-ticket in every land was closed: Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and a pair of Fantasyland dark rides. What wasn't closed had +/-45 minute waits. That trip was just a major bummer for our family, and we've been extra careful about picking the right dates ever since. That's another big reason why I'm reluctant to plunk down money for a trip that's 8 months away. I'm totally willing to part with the money; I just want to make sure I get my money's worth.

I'm sure someone can give you a more accurate guess, but I would recommend closer to October than to the beginning of September if you are worried about refurbs. Halloweentime has become super popular at DL (I've been twice myself), and I think they are trying to limit refurbs during that time. HM will undergo a refurb in September and so will Space, Space's is pretty short to put the Ghost Galaxy overlay on, but HM's is pretty long. I am not sure when it generally gets finished by though. When we've gone in October (usually beginning weekend--for 5 days or so), pretty much everything has been open. We missed Casey Jr & Alice one year, and TSMM & Star Tours the next time, Indiana was closed part of that visit, but did open in time for us to ride it.

Does the GCV provide free internet access to DVC members? If so, is it wireless access or wired?
WiFi and wired internet is available to all guests, hotel and villas :thumbsup2
The speed has generally been good, but WiFi was very slow on my visit a few weeks ago :headache:
The hotel WiFi would connect with a strong signal, but was too slow to be useful. I did not bother to report the issue, since I carry a Sprint 4G MiFi :goodvibes

We are excited to make our first visit to Disneyland on 2/23 through 2/26 and plan to stay at the Grand Californian, and then will take our first Disney Cruise on the Wonder.

I've found a package from a travel agent that includes 3 nights at GCH and a 2 day park hopper. This is the same price as booking directly through Disney (either separate hotel and tickets or purchased together as a package.) The travel agent deal also includes 2 premium character meals and a $20 Disney gift card. Does anyone think it's likely that the price could drop, and I should wait to book the package? It seems like GCH has plenty of availability for these dates, as the website shows all room categories from standard through concierge theme park view available.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Doug

We are excited to make our first visit to Disneyland on 2/23 through 2/26 and plan to stay at the Grand Californian, and then will take our first Disney Cruise on the Wonder.

I've found a package from a travel agent that includes 3 nights at GCH and a 2 day park hopper. This is the same price as booking directly through Disney (either separate hotel and tickets or purchased together as a package.) The travel agent deal also includes 2 premium character meals and a $20 Disney gift card. Does anyone think it's likely that the price could drop, and I should wait to book the package? It seems like GCH has plenty of availability for these dates, as the website shows all room categories from standard through concierge theme park view available.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Doug

Sounds like a AAA or Costco deal.

Jack

I swear I read that this was true but I wanted to confirm with the experts:

We're staying at VGC and we're having our groceries delivered from Vons. Is it true that bell services has a refridgerated area for the perishables? There aren't any delivery times after 4:00 when we will hopefully be able to get into our room and I would prefer not to wait until the next day.

TIA
Niki

I swear I read that this was true but I wanted to confirm with the experts:

We're staying at VGC and we're having our groceries delivered from Vons. Is it true that bell services has a refridgerated area for the perishables? There aren't any delivery times after 4:00 when we will hopefully be able to get into our room and I would prefer not to wait until the next day.

TIA
Niki

Yes - they have both a refrigerated area and a freezer area. But don't order alcohol unless you will be there to sign for it. Bell services can't/won't sign for the order if there is alcohol in it. Otherwise, they sign for it and store it for you. Once you are in your room just call and they bring it up.

Thanks for the super speedy reply. We will be there to sign for it as there is quite a bit of booze :) I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be running around trying to assemble a makeshift cooler for the the pork and chicken.

As I glance out my window and see piles and piles of snow. Its hard to believe that in just a few days we'll be in sunny Disneyland! I've been dreaming of a Disneyland DVC stay since before it was ever announced and now our trip is almost here! I'll be sipping chapmpagne on my balcony on Wednesday evening. YEAH!!

Thanks for the super speedy reply. We will be there to sign for it as there is quite a bit of booze :) I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be running around trying to assemble a makeshift cooler for the the pork and chicken.

As I glance out my window and see piles and piles of snow. Its hard to believe that in just a few days we'll be in sunny Disneyland! I've been dreaming of a Disneyland DVC stay since before it was ever announced and now our trip is almost here! I'll be sipping chapmpagne on my balcony on Wednesday evening. YEAH!!

Have a great time! We'll be there one week after you! I'm really looking forward to it too! As a local we have never stayed more than a night or two, we've got three nights in a one bedroom! We won't be sipping champagne, but certainly a glass of wine or a Margarita!

I have evolved (yes, it took some time, believe it or not!) into a dedicated GCH lover! What a fabulous hotel and totally worth the money IMO.

Just wanted to post that when I was there in December, I wrote down the taxi rates (flat rate) from GCH to the various airports and attractions if you use the taxi voucher from the hotel. The taxi vouchers can be obtained at the Guest Services desk. Here are the rates from GCH to:

SNA - $32
LGB - $40
LAX - $80
Universal - $100
Hollywood - $91
Huntington Beach - $40
Newport - $40
Knotts - $20

They have vans, so large parties can go together (and save money!).

taxi vouchers:confused3may just be what I need!

i'm still trying to decide on shuttle or towncar from SNA, had ruled out a taxi. I hesitate to take a cab in strange city, get stuck in traffic & sit captive watching the meter keep ticking (been there, done that, not fun).

So, is it a standard flat rate from SNA to/from DL or do i need to buy vouchers?popcorn::

For anyone staying or anyone who has stayed...do you know where the Artisan suites are, and the room number associated with them?

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter