Grand Californian Super Thread

So just got home from our stay at GCH. Was anyone else there this week?
Does anyone know why the fire alarm went off at 3:15 am Sat morning? Was there actually a fire or just a prank?
Not a great way to start our 7 am MM day. :( But now we can say we were in DCA after hours in our pjs.
What is it about this time of year? When we go to disneyland between Nov 2 and Nov 13th, an alarm always goes off and we end up outside in our PJs. :)

What is it about this time of year? When we go to disneyland between Nov 2 and Nov 13th, an alarm always goes off and we end up outside in our PJs. :)
It's just the Grand preparing for Christmas :rotfl:
gch_fire.jpg

It's just the Grand preparing for Christmas :rotfl:
gch_fire.jpg

LOL..I remember that year...when we checked in last time the gal said the fire alarms also go off if someone smokes in their room..dunno if that is true or just a scare tactic..

LOL..I remember that year...when we checked in last time the gal said the fire alarms also go off if someone smokes in their room..dunno if that is true or just a scare tactic..

That's probably true. Say for example, a full blown fire breaks out in one room with no one in it, the hotel fire alarm should (i hope) go off.

Our last 2 trips at the GC around this time of year, we have also been outside in our PJ's in the middle of the night! Was very hard to get DS who was 6 months old back to bed after 40 minutes outside:headache:

Our last 2 trips at the GC around this time of year, we have also been outside in our PJ's in the middle of the night! Was very hard to get DS who was 6 months old back to bed after 40 minutes outside:headache:
lol. That was our situation the first time... but with an 18 mo old who refused to go back down.

My boys didn't want to go down either after the fire alarm, so we put on the princess storytelling channel. After Cinderella finished her story, we turned off the tv & they fell right to sleep.

Do they let you take the pool towels up to your room? Just wondering as we are going in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out how to keep DD4 warm from the pool to the room.

Thanks!

Do they let you take the pool towels up to your room? Just wondering as we are going in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out how to keep DD4 warm from the pool to the room.

Thanks!

Yes. We have brought them up to our room before and then just put them in the basket under the sink. There is no one checking towels out (you just grab what you need) and there is no one "guarding" the gate so there is no problem taking them to the room.

Finally getting around to posting pics from our Oct trip...
We were amazed to receive an upgrade to an amazing room overlooking the pool. We were in room 3010. Great location! Overlooking the lobby - wide hallways - quick access to the main elevators & park/DTD entrance. I'm permanently spoiled!

Our room 3010
IMG_0950.jpg

View into room from balcony
IMG_0960.jpg

Bunkbed room
IMG_0961.jpg

To give you an idea of bunkbed size - my 7 year old daughter on the trundle (she is just above average height - but not much - probably is 50"-51" tall)
IMG_0962.jpg

Bathroom area
IMG_0952.jpg

Bathroom vanity
IMG_0953.jpg

Amenity products
IMG_0955.jpg

Closet - Robe, Playpen, Safe
IMG_0963.jpg

Safe size (iPad 2 inside)
IMG_0971.jpg

Fridge
IMG_0974.jpg

View
IMG_0957.jpg

Left View
IMG_0958.jpg

Vacation Planning - I arranged for special "baskets" to be made for my girls. They were cellobagged - not in a basket. The girls loved finding their treats!
IMG_0949.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

We were amazed to receive an upgrade to an amazing room overlooking the pool. We were in room 3010. Great location!

View
IMG_0957.jpg
2 years ago, we were upgraded to a similar room on the 5th floor, looking across the pool at the newly completed VGC :goodvibes
That turned out to be a very expensive upgrade, since it motivated us to buy at VGC :rotfl:

Thanks for the pictures and information on the rooms. We leave in 10 days (yeah!) and requested, hope to have a bunkbed room -- DD 5 was just asking if she could sleep on the top bunk and it looks like she will be able to. Also, thank you for the picture of the refrigerator -- it is helpful to see the actual size.

We are checking in on Sunday 11/27 and I just checked the weather and it is calling for a pretty warm day, in the 70's. We are there for 6 days so we wanted to do at least a partial day at the pool and that might be the best day to do it. My question is, if we use the pool and our room isn't ready yet, is there anywhere we can change, shower off, etc.? I know some hotels have a special room available to use. Not sure if GCH does. Thanks!

There are 5 people allowed per room right? DH, DD4 and I are checking in Sunday for 5 nights. My sister in law and nephew are joining us for a day of disney fun (they live in OC), not sure which day yet. I was just thinking if possible, maybe they could stay with us that night or the night before so they don't have to drive in.

Would I totally confuse our reservation to add them for one night only?

And more importantly, I don't care about bed specs for our room, our first request is location. Most of the rooms are double's right? I'm scared that if I offer them the option to stay one night with us that it might make us get a room not where we requested.

Are you allowed to have 2 cars to a room? We are going to have a rental with us.

I haven't mentioned anything to them yet, I'm still trying to work it all out to see if doable. And of course, I want to be honest with disney and let them know if they do stay with us that one night.

Thanks!

Would I totally confuse our reservation to add them for one night only?
You could add the names after you check in, so there will be no chance the 5 names would change your location. Most of the rooms have 2 queen beds.

Are you allowed to have 2 cars to a room?
All your room keys will have "self-parking" printed on them. There is no tracking of how many cars you park.

My question is, if we use the pool and our room isn't ready yet, is there anywhere we can change, shower off, etc.?
There is a bathroom within the pool area and the fitness center is just outside the pool area.

I've never used the pools or fitness center, so I can't give more details :laughing:

Just got back from 3 nights at the GCV and I can say, it did not disappoint. Amazing! :cloud9: I will post pics of our view and a few of the room in my trip report, link below. :goodvibes

Finally getting around to posting pics from our Oct trip...
We were amazed to receive an upgrade to an amazing room overlooking the pool. We were in room 3010. Great location! Overlooking the lobby - wide hallways - quick access to the main elevators & park/DTD entrance. I'm permanently spoiled!

Our room 3010
IMG_0950.jpg

View into room from balcony
IMG_0960.jpg

Bunkbed room
IMG_0961.jpg

To give you an idea of bunkbed size - my 7 year old daughter on the trundle (she is just above average height - but not much - probably is 50"-51" tall)
IMG_0962.jpg

Bathroom area
IMG_0952.jpg

Bathroom vanity
IMG_0953.jpg

Amenity products
IMG_0955.jpg

Closet - Robe, Playpen, Safe
IMG_0963.jpg

Safe size (iPad 2 inside)
IMG_0971.jpg

Fridge
IMG_0974.jpg

View
IMG_0957.jpg

Left View
IMG_0958.jpg

Vacation Planning - I arranged for special "baskets" to be made for my girls. They were cellobagged - not in a basket. The girls loved finding their treats!
IMG_0949.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the pics!
Added the views to the "Various Room Views" portion of the superthread.

Apologies for not keeping up, harvest at the farm has kept me extremely busy!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter