GoPro'ing around the World: a ten day split stay report - VIDEO ADDED - update 10/20

Your GoPro video is AWESOME!!! I've been lurking since you started this trip report and I've loved every bit so far. You're kids seem like they have great personalities!! I was sitting here getting ready for bed but now I'm super excited all over again for my little weekend trip that I get to take THIS WEEKEND (!!) for my birthday/my friend's very first visit to WDW. Can't wait to read the rest of your TR as it comes!

Your GoPro video is AWESOME!!! I've been lurking since you started this trip report and I've loved every bit so far. You're kids seem like they have great personalities!! I was sitting here getting ready for bed but now I'm super excited all over again for my little weekend trip that I get to take THIS WEEKEND (!!) for my birthday/my friend's very first visit to WDW. Can't wait to read the rest of your TR as it comes!

Have a wonderful time and happy birthday! :banana:

15220434885_a2c215a0c6.jpg

Day 6 saw us get up bright and early to head over to Epcot. We came in International Gateway and marvelled at how empty the place was.
15364480062_2532050f9e.jpg

I think we had FP for Turtle Talk. Or at least, there was a Turtle Talk show that we were trying to get to. But, on the way there, we passed Soarin', and there was a really short wait. Liam wanted to go on Soarin' and since it was my favourite ride, I gladly accompanied him. We knew we'd be cutting it close to get to Turtle Talk but we chanced it.
15178207398_c77c180b08.jpg

We ran like mad when we got out of Soarin', but we missed Turtle Talk by about a minute. Phooey. So we wandered around the aquariums while we waited for Chad and Mallory.
15364794465_31145e3698.jpg

Liam wanted to film some footage on the GoPro. It was turtle feeding time. We also picked out a Hidden Mickey and a Hidden Goofy.
15341781196_a6aa81e82c.jpg

We didn't have much time to spare after Turtle Talk finished before we cut back across Epcot to Norway. It was time for breakfast at Akershus. I was particularly happy that for the first time, we didn't get put in a room that's as dark as a cave. This room was actually pretty bright.
15364798185_5891bb2f66.jpg

Mallory was quite excited to have the opportunity to add several autographs to her autograph book.
15178038469_e808b028ff.jpg

We enjoyed our breakfast here a lot - they have pretty good food, and the character interaction was nice, too.

We were in Norway, so we figured we should all ride Maelstrom, as it was a walk-on. Rumours were already flying that it would close to make way for a Frozen ride and sure enough, that's since been announced. RIP, Maelstrom. I think it's high time you were made over, anyway.
15364801365_a1524366b8.jpg

From there, we went to a FP at Test Track, and rode it all together. A guy in the car with us had both his hands and his feet up and completely blocked Mallory from the shot. Boo. That's the first and also the last time I think we will get her on the ride, so I wish we had a shot from it. Memory Maker was proving to be useful mostly for the ride photos, and because Mallory isn't a thrill ride fan, we weren't getting a lot of shots of her.
15178281667_2883b2302e.jpg

After Test Track, Liam wanted to ride Mission Space again, and despite what he'd said the night before about not wanting to do Orange again… that's exactly what he wanted to do this morning! He wanted me to do it with him since Chad had done it the night before. To tell the truth, I was scared to death. I'd heard all the stories about people being sick all day after riding it. While I was on it I stared straight ahead and didn't close my eyes since I'd heard the horror stories about what happens if you don't follow the rules. As with most things, it was not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Just when it started to get uncomfortable, the pressure eased up. At the end of the day it was actually pretty cool.

Chad had taken Mallory over to Imagination so we wandered in that direction to meet up with them again. I kept trying to get a shot of the monorail in front of a landmark, and I kept missing. It was actually pretty comical. I would wait long enough that I knew one had to be passing by at any minute, and then it never failed that I got distracted for exactly long enough that I wasn't ready with the camera when the monorail was in a prime location. At the end of the day, this was the best I could do.
15033647689_1b8e3cab86.jpg

We headed up to the front of the park to ride Spaceship Earth. Mallory was pretty adamant that she didn't want to try it. We reminded her that she went on it when she was two and was just fine. Her concern was that we would have to go upside down/backwards in order to take a ride in 'the big ball'.
15341973496_8ac519be87.jpg

15178467517_ecaa09768a.jpg

We got her on it, but she didn't go willingly!

As a reward for riding it without putting up *too much* fuss, we let her decide what to do next. She wanted to get a few more princess autographs, which led us back over to World Showcase. We passed the Outpost…
15033850838_8d801c3814.jpg

…and wandered around the world…
15364804505_9a525968ea.jpg

We got to China before Mulan came out, but the line was already fairly long. Luckily, it was mostly in the shade and beside some doors that were blasting air conditioning. By the time we got from Spaceship Earth to China, I was parched. It was another hot and steamy day. We grabbed some drinks while we waited to see Mulan.
15178116090_ba73cf731e.jpg

And then, to complete the princess roster, we saw that Jasmine was coming out in Morocco soon, so we headed in that direction. We stopped along the way to watch a performer in Italy.
15178221838_cab3d41040.jpg

Mallory was adamant that she only wanted the princesses' autographs, not Aladdin's. However we didn't tell them this until after Jasmine had already signed, and it turned out that Jasmine signed "Jasmine <3's" so that Aladdin could write his name underneath. She was really apologetic about it. She suggested putting some stickers over top of Aladdin's name. I think Mallory eventually forgave her, but the fact that it even registered on her annoyance scale meant that we'd had enough of the parks for a while and it was time to take a break.
15178288357_cc7ca974e1.jpg

P.S. - we wound up getting all of the princesses' autographs, except for Pocahontas', because by the time Mallory bought her autograph book, we had already finished off our Animal Kingdom days and you can't find her anywhere else. She has yet to clue in that she's missing one, and I hope she never does!

Subscribing!

Fantastic video, think I need to run out and get a GoPro!

Also thanks for the tip of seeing Wishes from the TTC - fantastic pictures from there. Do they have the music there?

Thanks again for such an entertaining trip report.

Loving your report! I just bought a GoPro a couple months ago and am excited to take it on our trip next month!
Your photos are all Gorgeous!

Subscribing!

Fantastic video, think I need to run out and get a GoPro!

Also thanks for the tip of seeing Wishes from the TTC - fantastic pictures from there. Do they have the music there?

Thanks again for such an entertaining trip report.

Yes, they do! It's awesome!

Loving your report! I just bought a GoPro a couple months ago and am excited to take it on our trip next month!
Your photos are all Gorgeous!

Thanks! The GoPro is really a lot of fun. I don't use it much in day to day life but now that we have one, it always comes on trips with us.

I'm back with another instalment. Work and kids activities and everything else get in the way of me reliving my Disney memories!
15033867147_be25ae607d.jpg

So we had left Epcot, and headed back to the Boardwalk and down to the pool. We were there for quite a while and while we were there, we ran into our friends, who had moved over to the Boardwalk as well. We had planned to spend the night together at the resort. We were probably in the pool until about 5 p.m. It started raining during that time, but the thunder/lightning held off for most of it. Finally we were ordered out of the pool so we parted ways for an hour and agreed to hook back up on the Boardwalk.
15178050609_a9a1df56f4.jpg

When we did, we considered getting dinner at the brew pub on the Boardwalk, but the wait was longer than we cared to spend, so we wound up getting pizza at the takeaway window and eating it outside. This was perfect for the kids and a nice low key way to spend the night. While we were eating, the Boardwalk performers started to come out, and so the kids took off to go watch the show.
15364812735_9284036552.jpg

It took me a bit to figure out that they had been asked to be in the show they were watching, so eventually I wandered down to join them. Three of the four kids participated in some way and the best part of it all was Liam. He was asked to be in three separate parts of the show, despite the fact that a large crowd had built toward the end of the show and the performer could have picked from lots of kids! I think his name was Max, and he was fabulous. He looked really familiar to me so when we got home, I checked out our home movie from the last trip we took. Yup - I filmed the same guy on the Boardwalk three years ago! (We were not part of his show back then though!)
15364502662_14b6db0fab.jpg

The other performer that the kids in particular adored was Coney Island Chris. We watched him perform multiple times over the next two nights and despite the fact that his shows were repeats of each other, the kids just loved him. We checked him out on YouTube when we came home and found out that he was on America's Got Talent several years ago.
15033745650_88b78e5db1.jpg

Before we left home on our trip, I had in my mind this image of a family photo I wanted to get while we were on the Boardwalk. I figured that this night when I could hand off the camera to a friend was my best bet. But we got sucked into watching one Boardwalk performer after another, and the kids were having a great time, and I was reluctant to interfere and drag them away for a family photo. I could just hear the complaining in my head. :rotfl2: Daylight was quickly slipping away though, so as soon as Coney Island Chris finished his show, I rounded up the troops, cranked up the ISO on the camera, and we got this shot. I think it's my favourite one of the whole trip. I'm going to print it big to hang up at home but will probably crop it square to get rid of at least a few of the people on the left hand side!
15197411466_d6d69e3c11.jpg

After we had watched enough performers, the kids ate some giant ice creams…
15178294227_0f018d11d8.jpg

(I may have helped her out with this one…)
15217363441_e912ca08e2.jpg
and we headed back to our room. We invited our friends back with us. I was super excited to see the Frozen fireworks but of course, Mallory was still insisting she did not want to see the fireworks because the noise in particular was still scaring her. We had brought earplugs, but they weren't enough to quell her fears. So we compromised by watching the fireworks from the balconies of our room (the rest of the party) and through the balcony doors of our room (Mallory), and we had found a YouTube video of the Frozen fireworks that we synced up to start at the same time so that we could hear the soundtrack. We missed the stage show but overall it was still a great way to enjoy the show.
15033875447_acab04a650.jpg

15033660179_6cce81f5dd.jpg

15220450585_7e9b28212e.jpg

15033879257_917b27e274.jpg

15220070522_1b1877d732.jpg

After the fireworks we spent some more time hanging out together checking out the photos we'd accumulated to date on Memory Maker. Our friends could log into their account and see all the photos of themselves since we were linked, but because the MM was in DH's name, we could only see the ride photos through our account. So we had some fun looking through all of their ride photos. Their kids are older (teens) and they did some great, coordinated poses on a lot of the rides that cracked us all up.
15361645531_6339881021.jpg

When the kids were ready for bed and our friends went back to their room, I was tired, but ran outside to grab a few night shots around the property. The ground was soaked so I figured it must have recently poured rain again. Luckily, we missed it. We were pretty lucky with the weather on our trip; it only interfered with our plans a couple of times.

This was probably my favourite night of the trip. The company was fun and although I'm obviously influenced by the fact that my kids were picked to be in the shows, the entertainers were really great. Plus, Frozen fireworks! - what's not to like about that??:lmao:

The only downside of our night was the first frustrating event in a series of frustrating events that all pertained to me trying to get caricatures drawn of the kids. I had wanted to do this on our last trip and never made it happen, so this time I was determined. The Boardwalk seemed like the perfect place to do it. So since we were just hanging out on the Boardwalk on this night, I went to check out the caricaturist. The samples that were on display looked awesome, but when I checked out the guy who was actually working that night, I was not really a fan of his style. So I begrudgingly passed on getting the caricatures drawn that night, and figured maybe I'd have an opportunity the following day. Of course… that would prove to be easier said that done! Stay tuned...

I have got to spend some time on the Boardwalk! You make it look really fun!

I love that I have seen your awesome trip video, so when I read your updates I feel like I was actually there before!

Looks like a great night! I love spending time at the resort. So many people commando the parks and forget to enjoy all the resorts have to offer!!

I love the family photo!

Were all these taken with the GoPro. I'm very interested in getting one for out trip in Feb. What model do you have? Is it mainly point and shoot or do you have to focus? Thank you so much in advance.

Were all these taken with the GoPro. I'm very interested in getting one for out trip in Feb. What model do you have? Is it mainly point and shoot or do you have to focus? Thank you so much in advance.

No! Sorry, I hope I haven't been misleading. I may have posted one or two water park photos that were taken with the gopro, but everything else is a DSLR shot. The gopro takes good point and shoot photos (autofocus) but not nearly as nice as a DSLR.

I use a gopro hero 3+. I think gopro just announced the gopro 4 this week so it might be a great time to pick one up on sale!

I have got to spend some time on the Boardwalk! You make it look really fun!

I love that I have seen your awesome trip video, so when I read your updates I feel like I was actually there before!

It's definitely worth à couple hours, and only à few minutes walk from Epcot. (I'm trying to enable you... :thumbsup2)

Looks like a great night! I love spending time at the resort. So many people commando the parks and forget to enjoy all the resorts have to offer!!

I love the family photo!

Thanks! I always try to get one great family shot on each trip. Super happy with this one... The striped awnings and lights are so fun.

No! Sorry, I hope I haven't been misleading. I may have posted one or two water park photos that were taken with the gopro, but everything else is a DSLR shot. The gopro takes good point and shoot photos (autofocus) but not nearly as nice as a DSLR.

I use a gopro hero 3+. I think gopro just announced the gopro 4 this week so it might be a great time to pick one up on sale!

Thank you so much for replying. What type of DSLR and lens? I have a Nikon D5100 with just the stock lens. I'm new-ish to learning and want a new lens but have no idea whcih one. Basically I just know how I want my pics to look and you're pics are exactly that. Those are the results i would like out of my camera. I've even googled how to find a camera lens by looking at the photo's they take. :) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for replying. What type of DSLR and lens? I have a Nikon D5100 with just the stock lens. I'm new-ish to learning and want a new lens but have no idea whcih one. Basically I just know how I want my pics to look and you're pics are exactly that. Those are the results i would like out of my camera. I've even googled how to find a camera lens by looking at the photo's they take. :) Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm a Canon girl so the camera was a 40D (ancient now - 7 years old - I think I am due for an upgrade!) and the lens was a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens that I rented from Kingdom Camera Rentals (who I highly recommend by the way - I found the cost very reasonable, and service was outstanding).

Looking at photos taken with the lens you have your eye on is a great idea... I think on the Kingdom Camera site they have photo galleries of shots taken with their lenses.

Have you tried the Disboards photography section? There's lots of great info there about good lenses for Disney. Unfortunately I don't know anything about Nikons!

After our late night with our friends the night before, the kids had a hard time getting up in the morning. We were starting to get more and more lax with bedtimes and while I was OK with that because we were on vacation and it was the first time we were able to do things with the kids at Disney after dark... I was also worried about running them ragged. Anyway, we got a bit of a late start, but eventually got breakfast at the Boardwalk Bakery and headed off to Hollywood Studios.
15237300560_80226edbd2.jpg

Luckily, we walked there. Halfway along the path, we realized that Liam was not wearing his Magic Band. He had taken it off and put it in the safe in our room the night before! Good thing he remembered that because otherwise, we would never have found it! Chad ran back to the room to get it while the kids and I continued on to HS. We met up again at the entrance.
15424072795_3587dbcedc.jpg

We were at HS for rope drop and thought we would give TSMM a try. Foolish, foolish us. We were held back for the welcome show and by the time we got to TSMM, I think the wait time was posted at about 50 minutes. We hoped for the best and got in line. When all was said and done though, it took us 80 minutes to wait and ride - so the wait was about 75 minutes. Just goes to show that rope drop is truly dead at HS, or at least it was while the Frozen Summer Fun event was on.
15401027456_3a3c9b1d8d.jpg

Liam and Chad took off to do Star Tours again and I have a gap in my notes - I am not sure what Mallory and I did! We met back up at Muppet Vision 3D. After that, Chad and Liam had a FP+ for Tower of Terror. Again... Liam is glad he tried it... but not likely to go back! Here is the ride photo - unfortunately they got stuck in the back corner...
15237380698_ab9caa90c5.jpg

...and we were lucky that the ToT ride videos had just been added to Memory Maker, so we got the video, too. I incorporated a few seconds of it into the trip video that I put together and was glad to have it!

While the boys were on ToT, I took Mallory to get a pressed penny at Wandering Oakens. She was thrilled with this penny, really loved it. And the day after we got it home, she dropped it down the overflow hole in the bathroom sink while she was trying to scrub it clean. Chad took apart the plumbing under the sink and never was able to retrieve it. So much for the pressed penny!

Anyway, we met up again and had tickets for the Frozen Singalong. I was really looking forward to this event and it did not disappoint. Mallory sang along to everything and it was a fun show. Yes, the Frozen stuff at HS was put together pretty quickly and didn't have the attention to detail that most Disney attractions have, but I think they did a great job with the limited time and resources they had available. I am not much of a HS fan so I was glad to have so much new stuff to try there.
15237524597_6e5d34fdcc.jpg

We got some pretzels from a cart to munch on, and then the boys set off for the Indiana Jones stunt show while Mallory and I went to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid again and the figure skating demo. By now the kids were tired and Mallory was most definitely grumpy (see photo for proof). Despite the fact that she figure skates, she had no interest in seeing the ice skating show and sat pouting the whole time. It was time to leave the park and take a break. I think we actually got a nap out of her back at the room, so that was a big help. We went for a swim and then got cleaned up for dinner.
15424071035_44e06b47fb.jpg

Liam posing in front of his nemesis - the Hollywood Tower Hotel!
15237532217_e29d1d4463.jpg

Dinner was the Clam Bake at Cape May Buffet. We'd been reading heated threads on the Dis all summer about whether or not the crab legs were still on the menu and we were prepared for the worst, I think. We all really enjoyed the meal though, crab legs and all!
15423978295_d531a0d05d.jpg

I am also happy to report that the night we were there, they had corn on the cob rather than corn niblets, which I'd heard was another recent downgrade. The flan dessert was incredible. I thought it was a great buffet and there was lots for Mallory (who doesn't like seafood) to pick from. I would definitely book it again on a future trip.

Liam sketched some iconic Disney designs on the table while we ate:
15420903661_db04aea54c.jpg

After dinner, we took the boat back to HS.
15237487458_ea67d45aba.jpg

The purpose of the visit was to catch Fantasmic, though there were some evening Frozen Summer Fun activities happening, too.
15237487958_32cc5f470d.jpg

15237489098_bccd280554.jpg

This was the first time any of us had seen Fantasmic. We had a FP+ for it and I don't think our seating was any better than the other seating in the theatre, so probably not a wise use of FP+.
15400930796_9d3854c83f.jpg

We had Mallory's earplugs again because I knew there would be some amount of pyrotechnics. Luckily she was not bothered by it at all, and she really enjoyed the show. I'm glad to finally have crossed that off my Disney bucket list after five trips!!
15237324769_2c13a7a4e2.jpg

The Frozen fireworks were right after Fantasmic, and I'd hoped that after watching them from our balcony the night before, Mallory would be interested in watching them in the park. Alas, 'twas not to be. The kids were tired and not all that interested in the show. So Chad took them back to the hotel while I set up my camera outside the HS front gate and shot a few more pictures of the show. I've gotta say, I *loved* the Frozen fireworks!
15420800881_a088940e0f.jpg

15420801921_e2a0bf14ac.jpg

And that was enough for one day, for me, anyway. The kids came across Coney Island Chris again when they got back to the Boardwalk, so they watched one more show of his before coming up to the room. I thought about going out to see which caricaturist was at work on the Boardwalk that night, but truthfully, I was too tired, and didn't want to keep the kids out any later. So with that... we called it a day.

Catching up...

Love the hidden Mickey and Goofy pictures in the aquarium, very neat!

How sad that you couldn't see Mallory in the Test Track ride photo, that would make me upset.

Haha that Jasmine and Aladdin story cracked me up. Jasmine should have just wrote Mallory's name under.

Your Boardwalk photos are incredible!

How cool that Liam was picked 3 times!

Amazing fireworks photos too!

Yay 2 more places (Akershus Breakfast and Cape May Cafe Dinner) we are planning on that you enjoyed :thumbsup2

Aw, the Olaf of the ground...AWESOME!

LOL that picture of Mallory at the skating rink cracked me up. I have one of those pictures of my daughter at DL. They are priceless pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter