GoPro'ing around the World: a ten day split stay report - VIDEO ADDED - update 10/20

What great pictures!! You were there a month before us, and I don't think it got much cooler! 7 times on Kali!? I have never been even once. I wonder if years later Kali will be what your DD remembers the most from the trip.

What a great idea to do split stays based on which parks you will be going to! We usually stay at MK resorts and therefore go to MK the most. Might have to branch out eventually.

Can't wait to follow along with your updates!

First - the good news - the trip video is finished!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: I love making these but man, do they become a big undertaking. As soon as it is done 'processing' and uploading I will link to it here.

Alright, so I left off on the morning of Saturday, August 23. The date was important on this day because we had planned for months to spend the day at Hollywood Studios, and the announcement of the Villains Unleashed hard ticket event that night kind of put a damper on things. My first reaction was to want to spend the day at Epcot instead because I thought the park might be swarmed with people who otherwise would go elsewhere that day. And I was bummed about this, because we already had FP+ and ADRs booked. In fact, it turned out the opposite way. HS became a recommended park during the first part of the day because the crowds without hard tickets were going elsewhere.

I debated buying Villains tickets for about 0.02 seconds. I think we already give the Mouse enough of our money, we're not super huge fans of any of the Villains, and my kids can't stay up that late. We were out.

We did stay with our HS plan for the day, though. The only real bummer about it was that they took away the morning EMH that had been scheduled. Oh well… we got to sleep in a bit. Also, I was pretty excited about going to see the Frozen stuff, so I wanted to do a HS day early on in our Crescent Lake stay so that if we absolutely loved any part of it, we could make a point of going back again.

15124681390_e2cc9a398c.jpg

Breakfast came from the Boardwalk Bakery. Great place!!

We walked over to HS and were there for rope drop. The lines were pretty long. We headed right up Hollywood Blvd and toward Toy Story Mania. I guess we were still thinking in our old pre-Frozen mindset. We got there and there was a 50 minute wait. What!!!! No thanks, we had a FP+ window opening at 9:30 anyway; we'd just hoped to fit in a second ride. Instead, we poked around in Wandering Oaken's until our window opened. I hadn't realized that it was right next door to TSMM.

We got this shot taken outside on the street...

15311375975_cc83b29ed5.jpg

And this one once we were inside…

15124804837_4214cdd8cd.jpg

We also did all the Aurasma magic shots that you can take yourself, but I wasn't that impressed with them. They were finicky to make work and are too low of a resolution to print anyway.

15311240002_a48fd9aff4.jpg

15124882730_42231af856.jpg

15311606525_454d6ab256.jpg

I felt badly for the CMs who were wearing multiple layers of woollen sweaters and turtlenecks, but the AC was blasting. When our FP+ window opened we went over to TSMM and rode that.

15124891807_f8c1df9384.jpg

Liam made a friend out on the street:

15124676399_bb061456fb.jpg

Then we split up for a bit. Liam wanted to use a FP+ for Rockn Roller Coaster, another first for him. Mallory of course wanted no part of that. Chad went with Liam and I think the ride photo speaks for itself:

15311348205_0e7d5d0a61.jpg

Another one-and-done for Liam.

I took Mallory over to meet Sofia, since she is a big fan:

15124734660_66246ddaf1.jpg

We also fit in the Voyage of the Little Mermaid - walked up right as the theatre doors were closing.

By then it was nearly 11 a.m., and my biggest must-do of the day was to watch the Royal Welcome. We staked out a spot across from the American Idol steps. It was a great place to watch from, but there was no shade. There were people sitting at the tables nearby, which had umbrellas, but they were several feet back from the lines on the ground that indicate the parade routes. I was not about to trust that someone would not jump in front of me at the last minute if I sat there. I put the kids in the shade for a few minutes and staked out the spot in the sun. It was broiling, stinking hot, what would be the hottest day of the trip. There would not be a stage show as part of the Royal Welcome, because the stage was done up with the Villains set rather than the normal Frozen set, but one of the CMs on the parade route commented that even if that hadn't been the case, they would not have stopped to perform the welcome because it was too hot for the CMs in the fur and winter costumes to be out in the sun for that long.

The parade was really quick, less than ten minutes for sure.

15124738180_439c39a833.jpg

The CMs at Wandering Oaken's suddenly seemed to have it pretty good.

15311098332_df041b65df.jpg

Fur!

15311100952_835f7558d5.jpg

In August!

15124696219_8475712c14.jpg

In Florida!

15288346056_4b94254d88.jpg

15124827787_635ca748c8.jpg

We got to see the Frozen princesses for the first time though, so it was worth it in the end. I guess. ;)

The boys had found us right before the parade started and watched it with us, and then with the four of us together again, we did Muppet Vision and Star Tours - Mallory was not impressed with this one, but not deathly afraid of it, either.

15124710949_473717cf19.jpg

We stopped back in at Wandering Oaken's again, and bought a Christmas tree ornament and a few snacks from this case to enjoy later on that afternoon:

15311106902_6090ec58b3.jpg

And then it was time for our lunch ADR at 50s Prime Time Diner. I just love this place - the decor, the waitstaff shenanigans, the meat loaf - all of it.

Whoops, I've hit the photo limit. Have I really been rambling on for that long? To be continued...

15124753560_cda632786d.jpg

So when I left off, we were at 50s Prime Time for lunch.

15288431046_a10dfc3618.jpg

We had the best interaction with our waitress here that we have ever had. She gave the kids a rundown of the rules and told them to mind their manners and finish their vegetables. I think Mallory was actually quite frightened of her at first. She really warmed up to her though. After we finished eating, she had the whole restaurant give Liam a round of applause for cleaning his plate. He laughed until he cried. It was awesome.

15124704799_be71af6176.jpg

Because it was so unbearably hot outside, Chad sucked back his first drink pretty quickly, and requested a second. She brought him half a dozen refills and a park map marked "Bed Wetter's Guide to Hollywood Studios" - with all the restroom facilities circled.

15220426455_3cd857a0f6.jpg

You can kind of see here just how many glasses are on our table! She was a real hoot.

15311504065_b767ba245c.jpg

It was hot and we were beat. I made a quick run over to the Writer's Stop to grab one of their fabled Carrot Cake Cookies to take back to our room, and then we headed back to the front of the park and walked back to the Boardwalk along the water. At least there was some breeze there to help make it cooler.

15220044812_e2288b4de5.jpg

Back in our room, we threw in another load of laundry :banana: and then got to work on our treats.

15311383065_1a54cf1c53.jpg

The Frozen stuff looks like a ton of fun at HS but you have to feel for those poor CMs. It seems much more suited to winter. Imagine what that would all look like with the Osborne Lights!

Following along as promised! We were at AKL the same few days, we arrived there on the 20th and stayed through 23rd when we moved to Saratoga Springs, but we have no overlapping park days yet...

It WAS ridiculously hot! We hardly have any pictures because everytime I asked my family to stop, they said "NO" they wanted to get in AC. And I agree with you about the pools, way too warm! They almost felt like hot tubs.

It's good that you don't have thrill riders if you and DH don't like them...my DD(10) LOVE them! We are with you on the water parks rides though, neither of us like the steep plunges.

In for the GoPro shots. :thumbsup2 I would love to get one, just don't know if I would ever have time to edit the footage. We were there around the same time, Aug 23-30.

Congrats on the room upgrade, amazing!

Glad to hear a Garden Grill fan, we are planning on that ADR. I have yet to hear many mention it.

All those Frozen pics, oh my! So jealous!

Bedwetter's Guide....LOL :rotfl2: I am dying!

Liam and his Olaf treat, such a fabulous photo!

OMG....Loved Loved Loved your video, so incredible:thumbsup2! You're seriously making me want a GoPro even more now. Awesome footage, your kids and their personalities are awesome. They sure looked like they had a blast. It was neat reading about Liam's ride on Everest and then actually seeing him ride it was really neat. I liked Mallory on Barnstormer and the comment about get your hands up, both of them, you have to have them both up in the front. Seriously great!

After 3 weeks of tinkering, I've finished the video reel from our latest Disney trip. These things always start out as a labour of love and finish up as just a lot of labour! But man, do we enjoy watching them for years to come. Hope that you all like it, too. Watch it in HD for best resolution.

Disney World 2014 Family Trip Video GoPro Hero 3+ HD

And now I'm regretting not booking a trip this year, :sad2:, looks like you all had an amazing time.

I get to go to Disneyland every month or two but WDW has so much more to see with all the hotels, restaurants, and different shows I can't wait to go back.

In for the GoPro shots. :thumbsup2 I would love to get one, just don't know if I would ever have time to edit the footage. We were there around the same time, Aug 23-30.

The editing does take some time. I mean, it doesn't have to; it's one of those things you can put as much effort into it as you want to. I guess I like to put in a lot of effort! If you're going to sync it up to music, that's what takes the longest, trimming the footage down accurately.

I find if I don't do it quickly, within a few weeks of coming home from a trip, then I tend to lose interest!

Glad to hear a Garden Grill fan, we are planning on that ADR. I have yet to hear many mention it.

I adore this meal. It's one of the fresher and healthier options at Disney I think. I have never been disappointed by it. We eat there every trip!

Following along as promised! We were at AKL the same few days, we arrived there on the 20th and stayed through 23rd when we moved to Saratoga Springs, but we have no overlapping park days yet...

Another split stayer! Glad to hear that it works for you, too!

I am subscribing! We are going to Disney in just a few short weeks! This will be our first split stay so I am excited to read your report!

Thank you for all of the video love! Very much appreciated!
15124764870_b5a91ffb15.jpg

So when I left off, we had just left Hollywood Studios for the infamous Midday Break.
15311123622_f613a056bf.jpg

We went back to our room to cool off for a bit, throw in some laundry and enjoy our Frozen-themed treats (which, thankfully, did not melt on the walk back from Hollywood Studios, but they certainly sweated a bit!)
15288442616_a231c5f918.jpg

Our next order of business was to get outside to enjoy that pool, which we did for quite some time. More than an hour, I would say. The kids really enjoyed the water slide, which I would guess must be the longest resort water slide on Disney property.
15342675045_fbbd843c1f.jpg

I may have taken a couple of trips down, too.

Eventually there was lightning in the area, which is not all that uncommon at 4 p.m. on an August day in the Orlando area, and so we were chased out of the pool. We went out onto the Boardwalk to browse in a couple of shops and while we were there, the sky opened up and it absolutely poured for a while. It looked like there was no way we were getting back into the pool anytime soon so we went up to our room to clean up and head back out to the parks.

I think this is the point at which I stopped even trying to wear makeup on the trip. It was all just melting off my face anyway, and leaving me with big ole' raccoon eyes. Enough of that!!

The rain had passed by the time we were ready, and we walked over to International Gateway.
15342731145_2468085a90.jpg

This picture must have been taken later that night, because I am pretty sure we went into World Showcase, not Future World. We ambled around for a bit. This was a pretty low-key night. We did eventually wind up in Norway and we crossed another culinary must-try off our list:
15155967489_b1d2da0b4b.jpg

School bread! And I liked it every bit as much as I hoped I would.

A little further along, we bumped into Mexican Donald in the late-afternoon light.
15342424762_1e9f326079.jpg

It was still hot, so we took in a few refreshments to cool off.
15339561401_dd79a81761.jpg

My notes on this day are spectacularly bad. I am not quite sure how we whiled our time away. I do know that Chad and Liam rode Mission: Space and after much debate, they tried the Orange side. Liam had never been on it before and he reported back that he did not enjoy it. Poor kid - at least he kept trying!!

I took Mallory over to the Character Spot. She requested an autograph book a few days into our trip and was quite keen on getting all the signatures from that point onward. We already had Goofy, Pluto and Mickey by then, but she was eager to get Minnie to sign, too.
15155977519_657e5b759e.jpg

We shopped a bit - the kids enjoyed checking out the pins. We bought Liam this "I conquered Everest" pin that he totally deserved.
15156092528_cd51b62d26.jpg

And I think we did Nemo/Living Seas. But that was pretty much it... just a lot of very slow paced meandering around the park that night.

We eventually left before the fireworks started, grabbed some sandwiches from the Boardwalk Bakery, and took them back to our room. Oh, and we also picked up the peanut butter-bacon brownie. It was good, but not spectacular.
15156090508_9956fb74ae.jpg

Eventually we got the kids into bed, and ourselves into bed, too. I set my alarm for 12:30 a.m. though (which by then was only an hour or so away). Why?... because when we had checked into the Boardwalk, we found a note in our room apologizing in advance for the disturbance that might be caused on the night of August 23 on account of the Villains Unleashed event. It specifically cited the Villainy in the Sky fireworks show that was slated to start at 12:45 a.m.
15319637906_08c0a2a21d.jpg

I had my tripod set up on the balcony and was ready to go! And it was a great show - definitely worth getting up for.
And with THAT... I called it a night, for good.
15156088798_a503005ba0.jpg

That water slide looks super AWESOME! Bummer that the lightening shortened your swimming time though.

Ah, school bread...I cannot wait to taste this!

Love your photo of Donald in his Mexico attire.

Fantastic pictures of Villainy in the sky firework pictures!

Took me a few seconds to realize the weather report on your phone must be in Celsius! I saw 30s and thought Brrrrr!!

I love 50s PTC too! I am with Mallory, the waitstaff kind of scares me, and I hope for a "dud" that is not interested in any antics!

Can't wait to check out the video!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter