GOOD MORNING DIS! Whoopsidoodle Hangers On and Friends Meet Here Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, cool! It doesn't surprise me about the scores -- only the cream of the crop for our Muhlenberg! :)

Say, that reminds me -- I just read an article in which they referred to the 3 sections of the SAT, but in my day, roughly contemporary with the time of the pterodactyl, there were only 2 sections, math and verbal. Does anyone know what the 3rd section is and when it was added? :confused3
Added 2 years ago...a writing section. They have RUINED the SAT!!! You can get a rough estimate by taking 2/3 of the current scores.

I know all about it, having taken it in all of its annoying 3.5 hour glory. :rolleyes: As of 2005 they changed it to 3 sections: Critical Reading (verbal) Math, and Grammar/Writing. Each is worth 800, and a perfect score is would be 2400. Only 20 in 100,000 people get that eah year.
Grammar is the newest, and it comprises an essay (scored 2-12) and a set of grammar questions. Essay scores of 9 and up increase your score, 8 keeps it the same, and 7s and below lower it.

Okay, that really annoys me!! Why couldn't they have done it that way in my time?? I kick heiney in grammar, and math is not my friend. Although I did all right on my SAT, so I shouldn't complain. Still!

(And thanks for the info -- I was really puzzled!)

The grammar questions are really easy. It's like "Should it be "inconsistent WITH or inconsistent AGAINST?" Hmmmm. Toughie..

My DS (college freshman) got perfect 800s on the math and on the writing and a 760 on the other English part. He also took the "old" SATs (don't ask me why anyone would want to take these tests more than once!) and got a 1530 or something like that. I was very proud of him...

I don't know anything about SATs, except for going through it with him--in the midwest we only took ACTs and those are scored completely differently.

Then there are all of the SAT subject tests they take. I still haven't figured out WHY????:confused3

Add to that the AP tests, and we were shelling out money left and right for his junior and senior year of high school!:sad2:

I found this online. It's a score converter.
http://www.wilton.k12.ct.us/whs/gui/SAT_ACT_Comparison.pdf
The average score nowadays is about 1500, meaning 500s in each section. It seems so low, but there you have it.

Great, thanks for that! :goodvibes That gives me a better idea of how things compare!

My DS (college freshman) got perfect 800s on the math and on the writing and a 760 on the other English part. He also took the "old" SATs (don't ask me why anyone would want to take these tests more than once!) and got a 1530 or something like that. I was very proud of him...

I don't know anything about SATs, except for going through it with him--in the midwest we only took ACTs and those are scored completely differently.

Whoa, faboo scores!! Good for your DS!! :thumbsup2

What is the ACT? (Besides the obvious, that it's another college placement test.)

Oh, and can I just mention another great feature of being 40? No more placement tests ever ever again!! :goodvibes :cool1:

What is the ACT? (Besides the obvious, that it's another college placement test.)

It stands for American College Testing program.
www.act.org/aap

And you are RIGHT!!! (ding, ding, ding, ding!) It IS another college placement test! Most midwestern colleges prefer it for acceptance. The scoring is lower numbers (I believe 38 is a perfect score, if I remember right--or was it 36???)

I'm back after retrieving dinner.:rotfl: Anyway, Muhlenberg has a special place in my heart. I went there, DBIL went there (didn't know him until Sophomore year), my neice went there, and the reason I met DH was because of Muhlenberg. :love: We've been happily married for 30 years.

AP Exams are really pricey! 85 dollars apiece!

Yeah, I was kinda shocked by that! Although I guess it's cheaper than taking the class at a college.

I think the College Board is just raking in the bucks, laughing all the way to the bank!:mad:

I'm back after retrieving dinner.:rotfl: Anyway, Muhlenberg has a special place in my heart. I went there, DBIL went there (didn't know him until Sophomore year), my neice went there, and the reason I met DH was because of Muhlenberg. :love: We've been happily married for 30 years.

Awwwwww! :love:

That's sweet!! :goodvibes

It stands for American College Testing program.
www.act.org/aap

And you are RIGHT!!! (ding, ding, ding, ding!) It IS another college placement test! Most midwestern colleges prefer it for acceptance. The scoring is lower numbers (I believe 38 is a perfect score, if I remember right--or was it 36???)
When I worked in UD admissions here, they converted all the ACT scores to SAT values in order to give them one big group. I don't know what formula they used.
Yeah, I was kinda shocked by that! Although I guess it's cheaper than taking the class at a college.

I think the College Board is just raking in the bucks, laughing all the way to the bank!:mad:
The sad part is that the college only accepts scores of 3 or better out of a possible 5. That's the only way to get out of taking the course at college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter