Golo for Weight Loss

you stay on a maintenance dose like once a month for awhile and see how that goes- will go from there- if it is a lifelong thing then so be it- if you have high blood pressure you continue to take the medication to control your blood pressure so is basically the same thing. MANY MANY people are not overweight due to overeating, bodies process food differently- my daughter (who is 24 and 95 pounds!) could never understand how I gain weight, she eats worse and way morethan me and stays thin- I smell the food and a pound pops on me LOL.
I hope this is not untoward to ask, but how much per month do you pay for it if you don't mind sharing? I was curious about it and was going to schedule an appt with my doctor, but have heard it is $1,000 per month as it appears my insurance (United Healthcare) does not cover it for weight loss.

The small print in the ads for it on TV talk about diet and exercise to go along with the pills. If you diet and exercise, I would think that the pills aren't necessary. I thought about trying it as well. My doctor advised me that in his opinion diet pills are a scam.
This is IMPORTANT to understand.

I can personally recommend keto (& other low carb diets) can work wonders without pills. But eating clean real food, & exercise is going to help anyone, anywhere, on any diet.

Isn't it unethical/illegal for doctors to prescribe medication for something it wasn't intended?

Please no! Diabetics like me and my coworkers can’t get their medication because idiots are using it for weight loss! Many pharmacies in my city can’t get it in stock.
I've heard this is a problem. Surely the prescribing doctors are aware of this unintended effect? Of all the people I know on Ozempic, and all the on-line buzz, not a single one of them is using it for diabetes.
Isn't it unethical/illegal for doctors to prescribe medication for something it wasn't intended?
:confused3 IDK, but about 18 months ago, prior to a weight-loss I achieved by other means, I was 25lbs overweight and it was considered a contributing factor to my high cholesterol. A doctor I saw who was subbing in for my regular endocrinologist very, very casually asked me if I wanted to try it. She was more than ready to prescribe it.

I agree that it is easy to go the processed food route on WW. You can eat whole foods, though. I see a lot of posts in Connect about people who do it. I think you use more points that way (which is counterintuitive to me) but you do have weeklies that you can use. I think there are groups on the Connect app dedicated to eating whole foods and sharing recipes and ideas.

I was pre-diabetic so continued using sugar-free creamer and sugar-free jelly, though. What they call "zero point" foods include whole grains, beans, veggies, fruit (there is a diabetic plan that limits fruit), and protein. I will still have a slice or two if we order pizza delivery, but have made different choices. For breads, there are delicious options that are low in points. Some people use 6-4-7 but a healthier bread is Dave's Killer Bread, or you can make your own.

I think these programs are common sense and many don't need them, but I do. When I go to log my meals before I eat, simply seeing the point total helps me adjust and make better choices. A low-carb wrap with 3 oz of grilled chicken and veggies and an apple is a point. I can choose a processed low-carb wrap for one point or a healthier one for three points, but it is a filling meal. I can add a homemade dressing for a point and it tastes even better. Or I could eat a cheeseburger and fries and use up all my points in one day. When I used Myfitnesspal I was starving. On WW I am not hungry.
Thank you this is really helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will look into it again.

A lot has been written about this.

The short answer, is no. (Even though my first inclination was that it was, as well.)

What I have seen argued/written is that obesity can be harmful to health, as diabetes can.

The thing about diabetes, though, is that it puts a person at much higher risk for certain heart conditions, and stroke. Ozempic and similar meds have been shown to significantly decrease the risk of those, so diabetics are prescribed this medication for that, and the side benefit is weight loss.

This, opposed to someone maybe mostly healthy who simply wants to use it to lose weight.

I think that, although there wasn’t FDA approval for weight loss, it is in the works.

I also think that @CdnCarrie makes a good point saying that sometimes the medication isn’t available to diabetics because so many non-diabetics are using it for weight loss.

One is a need and one is a want, but there’s plenty of room for disagreement.

I *thought* the Ozempic shortage had evened out but I don't know. It is not illegal to prescribe a med for off-label use and it's done often. I do think that since Wegovy is out there, it then becomes an issue for a doctor to prescribe Ozempic instead. They are the same medication but Ozempic should be prescribed solely for diabetics and Wegovy for the purpose of weight loss only. This is probably helped to level the field so to speak.

As for Mounjaro (and I forget the other one), the manufacturer of this had a PSA on the news just 2 days ago that Mounjaro and XXX (I forget) should *not* be prescribed for weight loss. Granted it has that effect if you're taking it for diabetes. I don't know why that was put out there and how it would differ from Ozempic/Wegovy.

I agree that it is easy to go the processed food route on WW. You can eat whole foods, though. I see a lot of posts in Connect about people who do it. I think you use more points that way (which is counterintuitive to me) but you do have weeklies that you can use. I think there are groups on the Connect app dedicated to eating whole foods and sharing recipes and ideas.

I was pre-diabetic so continued using sugar-free creamer and sugar-free jelly, though. What they call "zero point" foods include whole grains, beans, veggies, fruit (there is a diabetic plan that limits fruit), and protein. I will still have a slice or two if we order pizza delivery, but have made different choices. For breads, there are delicious options that are low in points. Some people use 6-4-7 but a healthier bread is Dave's Killer Bread, or you can make your own.

I think these programs are common sense and many don't need them, but I do. When I go to log my meals before I eat, simply seeing the point total helps me adjust and make better choices. A low-carb wrap with 3 oz of grilled chicken and veggies and an apple is a point. I can choose a processed low-carb wrap for one point or a healthier one for three points, but it is a filling meal. I can add a homemade dressing for a point and it tastes even better. Or I could eat a cheeseburger and fries and use up all my points in one day. When I used Myfitnesspal I was starving. On WW I am not hungry.
I agree 100%. I have been on WW since mid-February, 2023. So, almost a year. I’ve lost 25 pounds so far. I am 72 years old, retired and not getting much exercise. It’s been slow, but not nearly as slow as when I did My Fitness Pal a few years ago. On MFP, it took me 2.5 years to lose 30 pounds. So, WW is working better for me. I would like to lose another ten pounds or so and rejoined WW for another year. I do not attend meetings. Online only.

I have no experience with GOLO. It just seems like a gimmick to me. But, of course, I could be totally wrong.

OP - Good Luck. Weight loss is never easy.

I *thought* the Ozempic shortage had evened out but I don't know. It is not illegal to prescribe a med for off-label use and it's done often. I do think that since Wegovy is out there, it then becomes an issue for a doctor to prescribe Ozempic instead. They are the same medication but Ozempic should be prescribed solely for diabetics and Wegovy for the purpose of weight loss only. This is probably helped to level the field so to speak.

As for Mounjaro (and I forget the other one), the manufacturer of this had a PSA on the news just 2 days ago that Mounjaro and XXX (I forget) should *not* be prescribed for weight loss. Granted it has that effect if you're taking it for diabetes. I don't know why that was put out there and how it would differ from Ozempic/Wegovy.
Thursday my coworker was told the pharmacy couldn’t stock Ozempic. So no the shortage is not over.
My coworker is diabetic.

Even if you take some pill to lose weight, the problem of being overweight due to improper eating habits or an unhealthy lifestyle won't go away.
No it wont but the mounjaro injection has helped me change my entire lifestyle- no longer feel hunger all the time and obsess over food- no snacking at all- eating healthier foods along with the meds has helped me immensely and also going to the gym every day- before just a diet and gym would not produce many results due to whatever issue my body has but with the added meds its a life changer.

I hope this is not untoward to ask, but how much per month do you pay for it if you don't mind sharing? I was curious about it and was going to schedule an appt with my doctor, but have heard it is $1,000 per month as it appears my insurance (United Healthcare) does not cover it for weight loss.

My insurance is covering it now so it is 20.00 a month but for a few months at the beginning they were not and with the manufacturers coupon it was costing me about 450.00 a month- which to me is a no brainer for my health- if they stop covering it and I have to pay the 1,000 I certainly will. I can drive for uber eats on the weekends and make that money up to cover it.

Zepbound has been approved for weight loss. It is the same medicine as Mounjaro. Mounjaro is the first thing that has ever quieted my obsessive food thoughts. It's strange to me that some people don't have those thoughts. I've always constantly thought about food. My A1C is much improved and the weight is coming off. I'm using an app that is like Weight Watchers. It has many of the past plans on it, which is good because I don't like any of the recent plans. My insurance covers my Mounjaro at $25 per month, or if I get a 3 month supply its also $25. Ever since I found that out, I've been doing the 3 month supply.

I do believe we will see commercials in ten years saying, “if you’ve ever taken …. And are experiencing…. Call the law team of ….” regarding these drugs.

As a woman well into her 50s who lost 75 pounds, I can tell you it amounts to consistency. Sign up for MFP, log your calories, and MOVE. Everyday. It works. Weight is mostly about what you eat. But if it’s a healthy life you’re looking for, you need to move your body.

Zepbound has been approved for weight loss. It is the same medicine as Mounjaro. Mounjaro is the first thing that has ever quieted my obsessive food thoughts. It's strange to me that some people don't have those thoughts. I've always constantly thought about food. My A1C is much improved and the weight is coming off. I'm using an app that is like Weight Watchers. It has many of the past plans on it, which is good because I don't like any of the recent plans. My insurance covers my Mounjaro at $25 per month, or if I get a 3 month supply its also $25. Ever since I found that out, I've been doing the 3 month supply.
I have those thoughts to as do most of my female friends. Males, not so much. Odd. Anyway my food thoughts are always there. Always thinking of my next meal or snack.

I do believe we will see commercials in ten years saying, “if you’ve ever taken …. And are experiencing…. Call the law team of ….” regarding these drugs.

As a woman well into her 50s who lost 75 pounds, I can tell you it amounts to consistency. Sign up for MFP, log your calories, and MOVE. Everyday. It works. Weight is mostly about what you eat. But if it’s a healthy life you’re looking for, you need to move your body.
Yep! Wouldn't touch these drugs with a 10-ft pole. There are already problems emerging (stomach, kidney, thyroid).

I'm firmly in the camp of what you eat is a major factor. By all means tall to your doctor, but I eliminated sugar almost completely from my diet and it's made a huge difference. My GI is all for it too. Look up a youtube channel by a lady named Amanda...called carnivorous me. She's lost a lot of weight, went from using a walker to biking, long walks etc. Off most of her meds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter