Gaps in the bathroom

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
The other thread was closed however this is the article circulating right now, and probably where the question came from. Number 15 http://www.businessinsider.com/weird-things-about-america-reddit-2016-3

I don’t find business insider to be a completely unreliable news source so I don’t think the question was completely crazy. However I think this article completely exaggerates the issues. Sometimes the first or last stall does have a bit of a gap where the stall meets the wall but honestly it’s a nonissue.

@Experiment 629 have a great trip and don’t worry about this non-issue.

I hope you're right because people I know have commented about it and find it disturbing as well as many different places on the internet adres this issue in North America.

Pic as example.
bathroom-stalls-picture-commercial-in-revit-stall-dimensions-adas-canada-painting-stallsbathroom.jpg

bathroom-stall.html

I just really dislike the idea that others could have a peek.

I hope you're right because people I know have commented about it and find it disturbing as well as many different places on the internet adres this issue in North America.

Pic as example.
bathroom-stalls-picture-commercial-in-revit-stall-dimensions-adas-canada-painting-stallsbathroom.jpg

bathroom-stall.html

I just really dislike the idea that others could have a peek.

I’m not an engineer but unless you make individual bathrooms this is how stalls are. I don’t remember what I saw in Europe but to be honest any place that I can think of with large bathrooms use this configuration, and I have never felt like people were creeping on me.

The media makes things seem worse then they are. That’s my honest take.

So tell me what you can actually see in that picture. I can't see anybody in there. I suppose if you put your face right up to the gap in the door....

Those are pretty standard here. That's what you're going to see...pardon the pun. :D
Agree with this, and still say it’s a non issue. The article totally exaggerates the issue. IMO

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/why-d...-have-wide-gaps-around-the-doors-507480643562

I just wonder if there are certain toilets around disney where this eye contact(or worse) talked about cant happen.

I think you're making a FAR bigger deal out of this than it really is. Media hype.

To answer the question about certain toilets where this can't happen...yes, the toilet in your hotel room. Beyond that, every public bathroom I can think of in WDW looks very similar to the picture above.

I’ve never used them, but the companion/family bathrooms might be private.

Honestly, I’d be more worried about my kid crawling under the stall, visiting/viewing someone else than that tiny crack in the door...lol.

The women's restrooms usually have a waiting line off to the side and out of the sight line of the stalls. No one is standing near enough to see through the crack nor are there mirrors over the sinks across from the stalls. There's usually an attendant in the restroom keeping it clean and supplied, and I think she'd call security pretty quick if she saw any peepers.

We had a case here where law enforcement suggested that Macy's remove the doors from the stalls at one store due to repeated inappropriate behavior in the stalls. I have not served in the military, but I think many who did are used to the lack of privacy in the bathrooms at military installations. For me while traveling in England I was caught off guard by PAY toilets. Maybe because pay toilets were banned here in California in 1974 ...44 years ago

Attachments

• PHOTO.jpg
    PHOTO.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 30
I’m not an engineer but unless you make individual bathrooms this is how stalls are. I don’t remember what I saw in Europe but to be honest any place that I can think of with large bathrooms use this configuration, and I have never felt like people were creeping on me.
IMO

gaps in bathroom stalls never really bother me---I just don't care that much if someone were to get a glimpse of me dong my bussiness, though you CAN see a lot through those cracks; I have realized I was looking through while half asleep and not paying attention to my gaze on a couple of occasions and felt terrible about it after---BUT the US style stalls are not common world wide.
Here is a photo I found online that is very typical of bathroom stalls in Germany

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 150
The gaps in the bathroom stalls are pretty different for us Brits. Our public toilets have no gaps at all at the sides and a lot don't have any at the bottom - they are full doors.

We are used to it now after multiple visits - but we still remark on it occasionally.

The stalls in Disney bathrooms are pretty much exactly the same as any I've encountered anywhere in the US and Canada (where I'm from). Yes, there can be tiny gaps. They are sometimes big enough to see through if you try (I had to the other day when my 7 year old was having trouble with the toilet paper, and she was trying to talk to me, so I "peeked" so I could make eye contact with her.) But we've been in Disney World for the past 6 days and believe me, people in the bathrooms are not lingering to see what other people are doing in there. To me personally, it's a complete non-issue.

This is an absolute and complete non-issue. Like many people on these boards, I've lived in the US my entire life. These are the types of stalls you will find in our airports, movie theaters, malls, WDW, etc. I have been to WDW over 40 times. No one is standing around peeking in at people going to the bathroom. If it makes you that uncomfortable, perhaps find a stall near the end of a row where there is less foot traffic from people going in and out of the stalls. If you are coming to the US, this is what you will find everywhere. When I visited Egypt, the public bathroom at the train station was a hole in the ground. As they say, "When in Rome . . . "

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter