Gaps in the bathroom

- The first thread was likely closed because it really didn't have anything to do with Theme Park Planning and it appeared to have no where to go but down.
- The second thread was closed (as stated) because it violates the terms of the board to start a new thread to pick up another thread that was closed.
- Obviously it was decided to leave them both open (for now) but move to threads where they fit. One fits more with WDW Tips and this one fits with community discussion because it's only about opinions on bathroom stall design.

- The article that started this media frenzy (many that turned to joke mode) was based on REDDIT. A completely unfiltered, unsourced discussion board. :rolleyes:

- There are going to be lots of reasons for the slight difference in US toilet designs but all must adhere to codes and standards. The metal constructed stalls would likely be the least expensive to install and maintain, and the kind most likely to be kept clean. Imagine cleaning wood doors and real walls.
- Some high end places spend the money for the closet style, but they are not common.
- The shorter doors, and "gaps" are likely due to safety concerns. As a PP stated their child might be climbing under ... well kids go in stalls and lock themselves in, sometimes folks are sick and have medical emergencies. These spaces allow help to enter should need be, the gap may be to assist in unlocking a door.

- The gap is not large enough to see much of anything unless you place your face on the actual stall and take a one eye Willie lookie-loo. Who does that?
- You can do that to me because ... maybe I'm strange .. but I stay dressed when I go to the bathroom. I uncover what is needed in a way that I am never flashing the door or crack area. I make an effort to be discreet because it is a public bathroom.

- I am really surprised that our bathrooms are considered exposing since many places around the world are much more open, are much more exposing and have often heard Americans described as prude and uptight.
- At least we have no open urinals on the sidewalks, we don't charge to use the bathroom, we don't have a singular bathroom for both sexes to use simutaneously .............. overall I think our bathrooms are very private compared to other places.
- If it is something that truly is bothersome, don't visit, because that is going to be 99% of public bathrooms.

It truly is a non-issue, particularly since our bathrooms are Men and Women apart. If they were together I could see the concern but seriously, I don't want to look at you any more than you want to look at me.

If you want to see some uncomfortable bathrooms check these out ...................

https://chanelchauvet.com/2017/03/31/european-bathroom-observations/

Disney has Companion Bathrooms (when an adult needs assistance from another adult of the opposite sex and therefore can not enter the regular bathroom to assist). They do not have Family Bathrooms. Most of these have high toilets, supports in place and no changing table. [I have no issue with a Dad traveling alone with a young daughter using these because they don't need to see urinals.]

This is 2 Adults, Male & Female, one "Disabled" or needing assistance. You will see no children on these signs.

830b1e7b-34ef-4831-9262-4f9a112f92f5.png

Last edited:
I was in a bar one time and went into the bathroom, it looked like there was only one stall. I opened the door to it and there were 2 toilets. I went in and started to pull pants down and heard someone come in, I said 'are you shy?', she said 'no' so I opened the door and we both went and laughed the whole time. I've never seen anything like it!

I was in a bar one time and went into the bathroom, it looked like there was only one stall. I opened the door to it and there were 2 toilets. I went in and started to pull pants down and heard someone come in, I said 'are you shy?', she said 'no' so I opened the door and we both went and laughed the whole time. I've never seen anything like it!

Was that here? in the US? :D

Was that here? in the US? :D
yes it was! Im from Michigan and we drove to Lexington KY for a concert. The concert was cancelled so I was bar hopping, drowning my sorrows and found this bar. I cant remember the name, but it was quite funny.

yes it was! Im from Michigan and we drove to Lexington KY for a concert. The concert was cancelled so I was bar hopping, drowning my sorrows and found this bar. I cant remember the name, but it was quite funny.

Well that is the definition of a "family restroom" ............ but then again you said "kentucky" :D enough jokes to back that up. DD is in KY, gonna have to ask her if she's seen this.

Last edited:
Our toilets beat the ones in Shanghai. The squatty potties...where you literally squat over a hole and the wall next to you is only high enough so that when you are squatting, your head and shoulders are above the wall and you can look right at whoever is in the next stall.

A few weeks ago, I was at a safari park with my DH and DS. I was kind of shocked when I went into the women's restroom. The gaps on both sides of the stall doors were incredibly wide. I was the only one in there at the time. As I walked by the row of stalls, I could literally see each entire toilet in full view. I wasn't even stopping or trying to look inside. The gaps were just that wide. I went all the way to the end and used the accessible stall. The gaps were still wide, but I was hoping no one would walk down there. While I was washing my hands, other women came in and remarked on the poorly designed doors. This wasn't an old restroom. It looked like it had been remodeled fairly recently. I asked DH and DS if the men's room was the same, but they said they didn't use the stalls so didn't notice. I don't usually even notice bathroom stall doors, but those gaps were just so wide that I immediately felt uncomfortable using them.

I find older restrooms to have sizable gaps here, those that have been renovated in recent years have much smaller ones. Up until a few years ago, a ladies room in the HS looked exactly the same as when I went there, 35 or so years ago, and it was old then. Huge gaps.

I’ve seen a wide (pun intended) variety of door gaps at various businesses. Usually the wider gaps are at the seedier and older places- a good 3/4 inch wide. Sometimes the line is in front of the stalls. No, no one has ever pressed their eye to the gap, but sometimes uncomfortable eye contact is made. At these kinds of places I take a strip of tp to block the gap. I learned this from one such place where the person in front of me had done it. Maybe we’re all doing pretty much the same thing, but I’d just rather not have an audience for my bodily functions.

There are plenty of stores that minimize or cover the gap -stores put in strips that cover them.

I’m not an engineer but unless you make individual bathrooms this is how stalls are. I don’t remember what I saw in Europe but to be honest any place that I can think of with large bathrooms use this configuration, and I have never felt like people were creeping on me.

The media makes things seem worse then they
The gaps in the bathroom stalls are pretty different for us Brits. Our public toilets have no gaps at all at the sides and a lot don't have any at the bottom - they are full doors.

We are used to it now after multiple visits - but we still remark on it occasionally.
It is the same here in germany. Some have gaps at the bottom and top. Modern restrooms have full doors with no gaps at all. You cannot see other people (not even their shoes or anything and you cannot hear them etc)
Wow, the things people people find to worry/complain about is truly mind boggling!
:rolleyes1
We travel to the US frequently. I don't worry about it (anymore), but maybe you cannot imagine, but when you are used to absolutely privacy it feels really weird. I still don't understand why anybody builds like that.

I don't like the gaps. If I have a hoodie or coat along I will hang it over the gap. Otherwise I don't worry about it that much. What I hate is if I use the first stall, and the people waiting in line for a stall are right there. Always feel like they are looking at me.

Btw, our mall has nice solid walls. No gaps around the door at all. It can be done.

This isn't something I worry about in the slightest. Most of the gaps are small enough that it would take some effort to see in and get a view of anything, those that aren't I just don't believe there are that many people trying to see in to make it a concern, and if people are looking in, I am just not that concerned about what they would actually see.

That's funny. I'm from Danville, KY, which is about 30 minutes outside of Lexington and I've never heard of this bar. They must have needed to squeeze one more potty in there :-)

We have had the pleasure of hosting several foreign exchange students. They, too, expressed how "odd" the gaps in public restroom stalls were. When questioning them further, I found out that they were actually talking about the size of the stall doors, meaning you can look underneath and see over top (if you are really, really tall). They actually discussed this very poll on the Today show last year.

https://www.today.com/money/5-things-foreign-travelers-find-strange-about-us-t111662

That's funny. I'm from Danville, KY, which is about 30 minutes outside of Lexington and I've never heard of this bar. They must have needed to squeeze one more potty in there :-)
I looked it up and if memory serves (I was a little impaired) it was called Cheapside bar and grill, but looks like it just changed name and ownership to the ruddy duck grille. Yes, it was quite funny to us. There were a lot of us that came a long way for a concert that was cancelled, so we needed a good laugh for sure!!

I looked it up and if memory serves (I was a little impaired) it was called Cheapside bar and grill, but looks like it just changed name and ownership to the ruddy duck grille. Yes, it was quite funny to us. There were a lot of us that came a long way for a concert that was cancelled, so we needed a good laugh for sure!!

I have heard of Cheapside, but never been there. I didn't realize they had a 2 seater potty. I imagine seeing that probably fit some of the stereotypes of you may have had about Kentucky :-)

I have heard of Cheapside, but never been there. I didn't realize they had a 2 seater potty. I imagine seeing that probably fit some of the stereotypes of you may have had about Kentucky :-)
haha, only thing I was thinking about KY is I wanted to find some fried chicken, but when I woke up drunk the next day, I didn't think it was a good idea anymore. we are heading back in May to catch the concert we missed, so now I know what I'm walking into if we hit that bar again, and maybe I can find some good chicken this time as well!

Non-issue. Whatever I am doing in there is the same thing every other human on the planet does...or, at least 50% of them once a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter