Free Parking with Handicap Placard?

Yeah, no distance per the ADA. At the main office for my credit union, the door is at the left front corner while the accessible parking space and curb cut are at the far right corner. This complies 100% with the ADA goal to get the person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible.

So it looks like there is no minimum or maximum distance from the door. I guess that would be to hard to do since every place is set up different. It is always a good idea for a person to research where the HA parking is when they go somewhere and plan accordingly.

DH said that there are statutes set with the ADA. States/Counties/Cities can have statutes that exceed those minimums, but they cannot go lower. So, one county can set a standard of 1:100 spaces, but not 1:200. Also, the statutes I quoted don't have the statutes listed for commercial properties for a ratio of handicapped/non.

For those, we can check with the ADA. https://adata.org/factsheet/parking I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but the numbers are close to what DH uses at work, so there you go. (it's listed with 2010 standards, take with a grain of salt).

Yeah, no distance per the ADA. At the main office for my credit union, the door is at the left front corner while the accessible parking space and curb cut are at the far right corner. This complies 100% with the ADA goal to get the person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible.
Our Courthouse has twenty four parking spots in front of the four entrance doors and another fifty either side of those.
The four handicapped spots are 1/2 block away from the doors and at busy intersections.
That won't change until we get a few handicapped lawyers.

My workplace puts the handicap spots more than a block away and it is uphill going home. They are in the employee parking garages. There is a garage connected to the building but they don’t let employees park there. It is a challenge just getting into work. I never bothered to get a hang tag because I never have to park so far away in a regular spot anywhere else in my life. The handicap tag would only save me an insignificant amount of distance at work. It is nuts how far away the parking is.

Just to be clear:
Placard/plate gives free overnight parking at your resort.
Placard/plate gives free Valet parking where offered. Please tip generously based on the $33 or $33 per night this saves.
Being an onsite resort guest gives free parking at the parks. A placard or plate does not.

Also, as always, the person to whom the placard was issued must be entering/exiting the vehicle.

So, did having a handicap placard give you free Disney World parks parking?

No it does not at the parks.

The (state-issued) handicapped placard/tag does NOT get you free parking at the theme parks (as my friend @kaytieeldr so clearly explained just above your post) BUT
being a WDW Resort Hotel guest *does* get you free parking at the parks, regardless of your status as handicapped/non-handicapped.

WDW only waives the parking fee at resorts. HA parking at the theme parks is charged the same as everyone else. There is fee parking at Disney Springs for anyone - HA or not; it’s only the “preferred lots” and valet that charge (anyone).
So is there any non-fee parking at Disney Springs? In January last year there was a garage that was free for everyone to park in but it may have been set up to eventually take payment, I cant remember.

That's a typo. I know @lanejudy was typing "There is free parking... "
Oops, yep, typo. I’ve corrected it.

So is there any non-fee parking at Disney Springs? In January last year there was a garage that was free for everyone to park in but it may have been set up to eventually take payment, I cant remember.
Yes, parking at Disney Springs is free (no pay).

Enjoy your vavation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter