Free Parking with Handicap Placard?

at Disney you can park for Free and get valet parking free
I’m saying that the law about free handicapped parking doesn’t apply to Disney, and I’m not sure why they offer free surface parking st the hotels for the handicapped. I see the logic behind offering free valet, but not free regular parking.

don't doubt that was part of what was first intended, but that is not the general feeling for it now.
Understood, but it doesn't actually matter at all how people see it, or interpret it, or what's assumed. What matters is what the regulations state. A phrase I used to hear a lot is, "ignorance of the law is no defense."

Part of the email received from Disability Services Disney Parks last week regarding my inquiry about disability parking, particularly if visiting from Canada …

• I’m thrilled your family has decided to visit and appreciate you reaching out to us about the available services at our Theme Parks. Please be assured we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive atmosphere as well as accessible experiences for everyone.

Resort parking is complimentary for any Guest with a valid disability parking permit and a current room or dining reservation at that particular resort. Designated parking areas are available for Guests with disabilities at all Disney Resort hotels. A valid disability-parking permit is required. Please show the Front Desk your disability placard upon check in.

Theme Park parking is complimentary for Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort. Please have the parking attendants scan your MagicBand upon arrival.
So will be bringing along the appropriate documentation and placard …

So I emailed Disability Services Disney with the question on Free Parking with Handicap Placard and here is the reply I got:
Uma Siegel (Disney)

Mar 8, 6:26 PM EST

Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

You may be happy to learn that parking is complimentary for Guests with a disability. You are also correct that a valid disability parking permit must be presented to parking attendants upon arrival.

We hope this information is helpful!

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website (only available on the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Uma Siegel
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

So I have been paying for Free Parking for the last 8 years.

After receiving the first email, I emailed them back:
Ken
Mar 8, 6:42 PM EST

And that includes the theme parks also?
Ken

They replied:
Ethel Hodapp (Disney)

Mar 8, 10:58 PM EST

Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! Yes, it does include the Theme Parks.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website (only available on the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Ethel Hodapp
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

I wonder if the answer to this answer is that the OP has a reservation at a WDW hotel.

When someone writes an email,the CM can look at the writer’s profile. That WOULD include a future reservation.
If that is the case, the answer in the second email reply would be because of the resort stay, not because of the handicapped parking permit.

May I ask why?
Yes, although admittedly I have no skin in this game as we stay on-site and I don't have a placard anyway.

But the bottom line is the parking structure is very far away from various points in Disney Springs and if wallet or preferred parking will assist those that are disabled, they should have the option to use them free of charge, of course for this same reason I think there should be at least three sets if bus stops at Disney ey Springs.

Yes, although admittedly I have no skin in this game as we stay on-site and I don't have a placard anyway.

But the bottom line is the parking structure is very far away from various points in Disney Springs and if wallet or preferred parking will assist those that are disabled, they should have the option to use them free of charge, of course for this same reason I think there should be at least three sets if bus stops at Disney ey Springs.

I’m assuming they have handicapped parking free of charge, correct?

I’m assuming they have handicapped parking free of charge, correct?
As far as I am aware, Disney Springs is free parking, if something has changed there, then they should get Vallet/Preferred parking at no additional cost above self parking.

As far as I am aware, Disney Springs is free parking, if something has changed there, then they should get Vallet/Preferred parking at no additional cost above self parking.

So long as Disney has the required handicapped spaces, I see no reason why they should offer free valet or preferred at Disney Springs. If a handicapped person wants to park closer or use valet, why shouldn’t they pay?

So long as Disney has the required handicapped spaces, I see no reason why they should offer free valet or preferred at Disney Springs. If a handicapped person wants to park closer or use valet, why shouldn’t they pay?
Because one could rightfully argue that the old parking lots provided closer parking and Disney chose to build the structures instead, which makes it more difficult on those that are disabled and thus Disney would be required to provide free valet or preferred parking to those that are disabled.

This is the same reason that valet parking is now available at no additional cost for those who are disabled at all three of the Disneyland resort hotels.

Because one could rightfully argue that the old parking lots provided closer parking and Disney chose to build the structures instead, which makes it more difficult on those that are disabled and thus Disney would be required to provide free valet or preferred parking to those that are disabled.

This is the same reason that valet parking is now available at no additional cost for those who are disabled at all three of the Disneyland resort hotels.

There is no rational legal argument to be made that Disney would be required to provide free valet or preferred parking. If they were breaking the law by putting up the new structure, you can bet they would have already been sued over it.

Is there a law that says that handicapped spots need to be a certain distance from the "entrance". I put entrance in quotes because we are talking about a mall and the store someone wants to go to could be all the way on the other side anyway. I would imagine that those who need assistance with walking any kind of distance already have their own mobility device. If you have concerns about the distance and can not make it from the HA spot to where you need to go, I am sure that if you contacted Disney then they can give you more options.

I tried to find the law that says that places can not charge for handicapped spots or that they should get free valet, and I could not find it. Everything comes up that Disney is one of the few places that does not charge for those with the placard. The law varies from place to place but most say that even though the cities allow you to park for free in metered areas, private businesses are allowed to charge you to park in a HA spot. Disney is being very nice to not charge you at the resorts or parks.

But the bottom line is the parking structure is very far away from various points in Disney Springs
Because one could rightfully argue that the old parking lots provided closer parking
This. Doesn't. Matter. The complete and entire purpose of disabled parking is to get the person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible. Period. Stop. End of story. While HP spots are most frequently closest to the door of entrance, that is by design - not by regulation.

Is there a law that says that handicapped spots need to be a certain distance from the "entrance".
No. None.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter