Free Parking with Handicap Placard?

Yes to everything SueM said.

Even though you got that answer, I would not count on it being correct.
I’ve never heard reports of anyone not being charged for parking at the parks by showing a handicapped parking permit.
I have seen reports of people who showed their handicapped parking permit, asked at the parking kiosk if they got free parking and were told no.
And, we have our daughter’s handicapped parking permit clearly visible when we pull up to the kiosk and are always asked for our Magicband or other way to pay (because we are staying on site, we get free parking at the parks).

Parking is free at the parks for anyone staying at one of the Disney owned resorts or with an annual pass (I don’t know if all types of annual pass qualify - at one point, it was just certain levels of AP).
There is a daily resort parking fee for guests to park at their resort hotel. Apparently, Disney chose to waive that for guests who show a handicapped parking permit. I do not know why.
The usual valet parking charge is waived for guests with a handicapped parking permit, although tips are still appreciated. That is actually fairly common at other places that offer valet parking.
The reasons are that most usually do not have enough close by handicapped parking spaces and safety; since the entrançe area is very busy with cars pulling in and out, it’s safer to offer valet parking to get guests out of the traffic if their disabilities affect navigating/moving quickly.

I'm going to be more direct than @RaySharpton and say tips are appropriate.
They say appreciated on the official literature, as the free valet parking at some locations is how they remain ADA compliant since many locations do not have the required number of disabled parking spaces, but ADA allows them to use wallet parking to get around this as long as wallet parking costs no more than what other guests would pay and since there is free self parking avaialable for those with handicap placards, they can't suggest that tips are required or expected in any way and still be compliant with the clause in the ADA law, but they can say they are appreciated. So in other words in all comes down to legalities, but yes, tipping would be appropriate, especially since there is no cost for parking at WDW resorts with a placard.

I'm going to be more direct than @RaySharpton and say tips are appropriate.

They say appreciated on the official literature, as the free valet parking at some locations is how they remain ADA compliant since many locations do not have the required number of disabled parking spaces, but ADA allows them to use wallet parking to get around this as long as wallet parking costs no more than what other guests would pay and since there is free self parking avaialable for those with handicap placards, they can't suggest that tips are required or expected in any way and still be compliant with the clause in the ADA law, but they can say they are appreciated. So in other words in all comes down to legalities, but yes, tipping would be appropriate, especially since there is no cost for parking at WDW resorts with a placard.

The primary reason in my mind that tipping is more than appropriate when I am using Valet Services at WDW is simply because my car is used/moved more than the average Valet Guest. If I parked my car, and didn't move it for 10 days to 2 weeks... (aside from being covered in sap from the all of the trees LOL) I would offer the returning Valet CM a small gratuity - the same amount I tip regularly now - and I would go on down the road, literally. But because we tend to use our car quite a bit (to go to other Resorts to visit, out for shopping, or for ADRs at other Resorts) I wind up bringing a generous amount of cash earmarked just for Valet Services every trip. (In addition to the Mousekeeping daily tips + Bell Services in and out, and of course, CMs that work as waiters, waitresses, and barkeeps) We typically get to know the Valet Staff pretty well at our favorite Resorts, and we haven't had a stinker yet. But then again... we tip - when they take the car out to the lot, and when they bring it back to us. Every time. :) And just to make it *very* clear - I would tip the same amount regardless of whether Disney charged me a daily fee for Valet Services.

Valet Services are only available at Deluxe Resorts, so when we stay Moderate (and you all know me, that's typically POFQ) then my biggest concern is simply trying to find a parking spot when we return... and remembering where we parked :)

I truly don't know - and honestly don't believe - that Disney is giving away parking to folks with HA tags/placards because it frees up space on the buses. If that were the case, I think we would see more "active" encouragement by CMs when we were onsite to drive our cars ("Are you driving to the theme parks today? Wonderful! Remember you get free parking!" or "Why take the boat, when you can drive your own car, and park for free?"). The last thing WDW actually needs is *more* passenger cars on the roads. There is a reason why they started bus service to/from the theme parks all those years ago - they don't want passenger cars clogging up the road (and then imagine the traffic jams just getting back into the Resort parking lots every night... )

It is a kindness, a courtesy, a small bit of pixie dust - that's all. I choose to celebrate Disney for doing this, because it shows that they still have a wee tiny amount of humanity in their collective Corporate soul. The beancounters don't win every time. ;)

Yeah, I don't get it either. Pretty much anyone over a certain age can get a placard. My dad got one and he is physically fit but "older". And he can more then afford to pay for parking. I think that they should pay at the resorts too. If you can afford a trip to WDW, you can afford to pay all of the charges that everyone else does. Other then for those with wheelchair vans, having handicapped parking at a theme park is kind of funny anyway. You are walking all day at the parks but you cant walk to the entrance. From what I heard, the handicapped parking spots are actually farther to walk then if you rode the tram.
I'm not saying all but some people who use handicapped parking use scooters so we do not walk around the park all day. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 21 years and if you saw me on my scooter you would not think anything is the matter with me but some days I can only walk for about 5 minutes before I have to sit down. Parking is closer at most parks with a handicapped tag. Believe me I would love to be able to walk all day in a park like I used to do. If I had to pay that would be fine with me, but I think that it is great that Disney gives a break to people with disabilities just as they give discounts to military.

I'm not saying all but some people who use handicapped parking use scooters so we do not walk around the park all day. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 21 years and if you saw me on my scooter you would not think anything is the matter with me but some days I can only walk for about 5 minutes before I have to sit down. Parking is closer at most parks with a handicapped tag. Believe me I would love to be able to walk all day in a park like I used to do. If I had to pay that would be fine with me, but I think that it is great that Disney gives a break to people with disabilities just as they give discounts to military.

I know what you are saying, but I was more commenting on the irony of how handicapped spots are supposed to be the "closest" so a person does not have to travel far. But then, at a theme park, you are travelling much more during your time there that it makes the distance from the parking spot to the "door" negligible. But everyone wants one of these coveted handicapped parking spots and get angry if they are all gone. I think that they should have a separate area for those who have wheelchairs, and ECVs that need to be unloaded and so they actually have a spot if needed. And then have an area for the other tagged cars. Basically make sure priority is given to those with a device for them to be able to unload them safely without the chance that the spaces are all taken by just anyone who has a placard. I also think that in the placard area should be close to the trams so people don't have that far to walk. It is just too easy for people to get the handicapped placards and the handicapped lots get filled with maybe those who could actually park a bit further out and still be fine, leaving the spots for those who truly need them. To be clear, I am talking about amusement parks that you are going to be mobile for hours. Also, I don't think that just because someone has a placard that they should receive free parking, only because these really are no indication of someone truly having any kind of disability. You can go to your doctor and tell them that your knee is hurting and would love on of those placards so you don't have to walk far and you can get one. That does not make a person "disabled" just because you have knee pain. I mean, I can do that. I am on my feet all day at work and am in pain daily. My knee cap has actually popped out of place before, that was shocking. But that does not make me "disabled" just in pain. I am saying that if a person does not have a mobility device and plan on walking all day in the park anyway, do they truly need the handicapped spot, or could they leave those who truly do and take the tram? Obviously, I am not talking about you personally.

I actually know many people that use wheelchairs and ECVs they feel that there needs to be some disable spaces further away, maybe not at the theme parks, but about handicap parking in general. While they understand that many need the closer parking, many would prefer parking spaces further out. One person in a wheelchair actually commented that the only exercise they get is when pushing their chair, but they need the wider space to get their chair in and out of the vehicle, so they would love to have some disabled spaces further away from many businesses to allow them the opportunity to get more exercise.

They also feel that they would be able to leave the closer spaces for those that truly need them and there would be less abuse of the parking spaces further out.

As for people who don't have a mobility device and are walking around the parks all day, the answer is yes, they may need the space, not at the beginning of the day, but by the end of the day when they are limping along and barely able to make it to the handicap row and can't even manage the step up onto the tram.

As for what qualifies you as disabled, that varies from state to state, in my state the constant knee pain and knee cap popping out of socket would most likely qualify you as disabled if you wanted to go for it, but to me that has to be a decision you make, if you feel you can deal with it, then that is your call to make. I personally can handle the pain I deal with on a daily basis at this point, even though technically it would qualify me for a placard, I am not going to get one because I don't feel I need it. Now there are days where I am the one limping back to the car in massive pain at the end of a theme park day, but that is not a daily thing for me (although I need to make more use of my Disneyland pass) and to me that is the key, does the pain cause issues in your day to day life?

Is the current system perfect? No, but no system will be, this one has been refined by lawmakers and others to be as good as it can be at this point aside from the idea of having some disabled spaces further out.

Last edited:
I actually know many people that use wheelchairs and ECVs they feel that there needs to be some disable spaces further away, maybe not at the theme parks, but about handicap parking in general. While they understand that many need the closer parking, many would prefer parking spaces further out. One person in a wheelchair actually commented that the only exercise they get is when pushing their chair, but they need the wider space to get their chair in and out of the vehicle, so they would love to have some disabled spaces further away from many businesses to allow them the opportunity to get more exercise.

They also feel that they would be able to leave the closer spaces for those that truly need them and there would be less abuse of the parking spaces further out.

As for people who don't have a mobility device and are walking around the parks all day, the answer is yes, they may need the space, not at the beginning of the day, but by the end of the day when they are limping along and barely able to make it to the handicap row and can't even manage the step up onto the tram.

As for what qualifies you as disabled, that varies from state to state, in my state the constant knee pain and knee cap popping out of socket would most likely qualify you as disabled if you wanted to go for it, but to me that has to be a decision you make, if you feel you can deal with it, then that is your call to make. I personally can handle the pain I deal with on a daily basis at this point, even though technically it would qualify me for a placard, I am not going to get one because I don't feel I need it. Now there are days where I am the one limping back to the car in massive pain at the end of a theme park day, but that is not a daily thing for me (although I need to make more use of my Disneyland pass) and to me that is the key, does the pain cause issues in your day to day life?

Is the current system perfect? No, but no system will be, this one has been refined by lawmakers and others to be as good as it can be at this point aside from the idea of having some disabled spaces further out.

That's a good point about maybe having some spaces further out and given a wider space. I have never even considered getting a handicapped placard because I believe that I am far from being handicapped, even with the pain. I just manage my time wisely and know that I need more breaks and know that I need to leave the parks sooner.

That's a good point about maybe having some spaces further out and given a wider space. I have never even considered getting a handicapped placard because I believe that I am far from being handicapped, even with the pain. I just manage my time wisely and know that I need more breaks and know that I need to leave the parks sooner.
I tend to do the same, but others have different opinions than I and that is ok too. What is not ok is for a no disabled person to use someone else's disabled placard unless they are picking them up or dropping them off, that is where I see most abuse happening. You know a mom sends their kid to a grocery store and the kid using the handicap space because there is a placard or plate, that is just wrong.

I tend to do the same, but others have different opinions than I and that is ok too. What is not ok is for a no disabled person to use someone else's disabled placard unless they are picking them up or dropping them off, that is where I see most abuse happening. You know a mom sends their kid to a grocery store and the kid using the handicap space because there is a placard or plate, that is just wrong.

Me, too. I haven't owned a car in years and until recently, I have only rented a car once. But I take it with me just in case the situation arises where I may not have a choice because of the particular situation that I might be in.

we're pass-holders so I don't know about the free parking, however I use a wheelchair and the parking for handicap at Magic Kingdom is crazy! Sometimes we don't have room to get the wheelchair out of the car truck! One time they did have park in the prefer parking at Magic Kingdom. Because they didn't have any more room in the handicap parking. We go to the parks in the late afternoons because I can't be in the heat all

The point of handicapped parking is not really a shorter walk; it is getting the handicapped person out of the flow of traffic.
Because they may be slower, less able to respond to hazards, etc. they are more at risk of getting hit. In places with snow, the ability to actually get thru the snow and crud in the parking lot is also an issue.

For WDW, if a guest is able to step up/down to get into and out of the parking lot tram, that will actually be the shortest walk. Guests with ECVs and wheelchairs need to use the handicapped/medical parking because they can’t tske the tram.

The point of handicapped parking is not really a shorter walk; it is getting the handicapped person out of the flow of traffic.
Because they may be slower, less able to respond to hazards, etc. they are more at risk of getting hit. In places with snow, the ability to actually get thru the snow and crud in the parking lot is also an issue.

For WDW, if a guest is able to step up/down to get into and out of the parking lot tram, that will actually be the shortest walk. Guests with ECVs and wheelchairs need to use the handicapped/medical parking because they can’t tske the tram.

I don't think that is how most people see it. If that where the case, at the grocery store they would just have 1 row just for handicapped, instead of all of the front spots for it. There is just as much traffic in the front of the rows as the middle or back, after all the cars need to drive down the aisles. It is definitely all about being closer to the entrance.

we're pass-holders so I don't know about the free parking, however I use a wheelchair and the parking for handicap at Magic Kingdom is crazy! Sometimes we don't have room to get the wheelchair out of the car truck! One time they did have park in the prefer parking at Magic Kingdom. Because they didn't have any more room in the handicap parking. We go to the parks in the late afternoons because I can't be in the heat all

I think that this is why they need to have a separate area with wider spots for JUST those with mobility devices. Being able to remove your wheelchair should be a priority.

I don't think that is how most people see it. If that where the case, at the grocery store they would just have 1 row just for handicapped, instead of all of the front spots for it. There is just as much traffic in the front of the rows as the middle or back, after all the cars need to drive down the aisles. It is definitely all about being closer to the entrance.
if you go back to the law, it is about getting out of the flow of traffic, not closeness.

Everyone has to cross the front lanes, the way most parking lots are laid out. Putting the handicapped parking spots across the front puts people in the traffic lane for a much shorter distance than they would potentially be if one long row was dedicated

if you go back to the law, it is about getting out of the flow of traffic, not closeness.

Everyone has to cross the front lanes, the way most parking lots are laid out. Putting the handicapped parking spots across the front puts people in the traffic lane for a much shorter distance than they would potentially be if one long row was dedicated

I don't doubt that was part of what was first intended, but that is not the general feeling for it now. People want the placard so that they can be closer to the door. Plus that only works for parking lots where the parking is at the front curb. Not for the parking lots that you have a street in front of the entrance.

I found on the Sun Sentinel

What are the guidelines for charging a person to park whose vehicle displays a disabled parking permit under the new law?

The law allows municipalities to remove free parking in the following settings: government lots that are used for entertainment, such as convention centers, cruise port terminals, sports stadiums, sports arenas, coliseums and auditoriums along with airports and city or municipal garages.

When free parking is removed as described above, the law requires the free parking be maintained only for those vehicles with ramps, lifts, hand controls or State of Florida toll exemption permits.

Total Parking Req’d. Handicapped
Spaces in Lot Parking Spaces

1 to 25 1

26 to 50 2

51 to 75 3

76 to 100 4

101 to 150 5

151 to 200 6

201 to 300 7

301 to 400 8

401 to 500 9

500 to 1,000 2 percent of total

1.001 and over 20 plus 1 for each 100 over 1,000

What are the guidelines for charging a person to park whose vehicle displays a disabled parking permit under the new law?

The law allows municipalities to remove free parking in the following settings: government lots that are used for entertainment, such as convention centers, cruise port terminals, sports stadiums, sports arenas, coliseums and auditoriums along with airports and city or municipal garages.

When free parking is removed as described above, the law requires the free parking be maintained only for those vehicles with ramps, lifts, hand controls or State of Florida toll exemption permits.

This applies to municipalities, not businesses line

This doesn’t apply to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts