For those of you that stay deluxe - what do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've started planning our honeymoon
Congratulations! And you picked the perfect resort for it - we loved the GF the 2 times we stayed there and usually find our way there no matter where we stay.

Narcoossee's is a favorite "expensive" dinner or lunch for us. We've rented a pontoon a few times as well. And this time we're doing the Mary Poppins breakfast, like we did when our kids were little. (Going with 2 pre-school granddaughters this time, one of which loves the movie and thinks it's cool that I can sing all the songs)

It really matters where you live also to say that $300K year is a lot of money. Probably anywhere in the US, $300K is a comfortable salary, HOWEVER, if you live where we do where the expenses are a lot higher, the $300K does not go as far. Our property taxes are considered cheap here in northern NJ $12K a year, my sister who lives 15 minutes from me pays $22K a year. An average house in our town is $700K. Our car insurance is very high also.
Greetings from Long Island! Real estate costs and taxes eat up our income too.

Wow, what a hot topic, who knew?? I agree with many of the PP, regardless of how much money you make, it's truly how you spend that money that will dictate how you vacation and what's important to you. While Deluxe accommodations are nice, they aren't what everyone wants on their trip.

And for that matter, travel isn't important to everyone so some people don't allocate money in the budget for trips nor do they care to travel. For our family, it's critical and money from each of our paychecks goes to our vacation fund. Also, what someone does for living is not indicative of how much money they may make since there are so many variables.

We’ve stayed deluxe on almost every trip since we first took our son in 2001. I am a teacher and my husband is an IT consultant. We have stayed at most deluxes, but we started with the GF. We loved the theming and thought that for our first trip as a family, it was the perfect place. The CMs treated us like gold all week—-upgrade to Club level, super friendly and efficient service, lots of attention paid to accommodating our son, who has autism, great character meals...everything was perfect. We felt our first trip was so special that it became hard to imagine doing Disney any other way. When we can’t afford the GF, we book less expensive deluxes, but the GF is our favorite and their excellent customer service has never failed us. Also, I feel that DH works his butt off most of the year, he should have as much vacation magic as possible.

However, there are some characteristics to our trips that have made them a little more affordable. Typically, we don’t stay more than five days and one of them may be pool or water park only. That’s plenty for us. We also travel during August to celebrate our anniversary. You can usually find a room only discount in August. We used to buy the maximum length non-expiring park hopper plus passes from AAA. By purchasing these, the cost per day was lower and, since our trips are shorter, we would always have leftover, cheaper park passes for our next trip. Unfortunately, Disney no longer has the no expiration option, but we still have some park days left from these purchases plus something like seven water park admissions each. When DS was little, we did do some character breakfasts, but now we eat a counter service breakfast and two of us will split the biggest platter since we are not that hungry in the morning anyway. We eat counter service for lunch and save the splurges for dinner. We also have the Disney Chase Visa and use the points for at least some meals. (If you want to finance a trip to WDW, the Disney Visa has 0% financing for six months on Disney vacation packages. We used this for a Disney cruise once.)

As for transportation, we usually combine a Disney trip with a visit to family in Clearwater, so we need to rent a car, but frequently use Hertz or Avis points earned from my husband’s travel for work instead of paying cash. Airfare from where we live in NY to MCO isn’t terribly expensive,so I usually won’t use airline points because I can get better value for them going farther away. However, because we visit family first, we often fly into the Tampa airport which is usually cheaper than MCO. If you plan on renting a car no matter what, the drive from that area to WDW isn’t bad and may save you a couple hundred dollars . Flying to JAX is even cheaper, but it is a much longer drive.

Those are the little things we do to save money, but I have to say that we have been very lucky and blessed to be able to visit as often as we have. We’ve missed the last four years because I have been extremely ill, but I’m healthy now and looking forward to our next visit.

For our family, staying deluxe is all about the discount when not staying on DVC points or in the camper at FW. I watch and wait till the discount I want becomes available, then I book. It also takes a considerable amount of time to save for a deluxe stay, which is why we don't do it very often.

True, I was going to mention living area but didn't want to go too long. However the numbers and percentages I gave are regardless of living area... but yes if you make $100K in TN it is MUCH different than making $100K in the D.C. metro area.. you would defiantly have much more disposable income in TN.

I live outside the latter, so even though I make a comfortable living, no way I would drop $10-20K on a vacation unless it was a 3 month tour of Europe.
So true. Where you live makes a HUGE difference. We live in Atlanta, and I've been itching to move somewhere else. I'm not a homebody. DH got offered a job in San Francisco with a salary of 130K. Here that'd be awesome, we'd be rich haha! :banana: But we did some googling and found out that is just way too low for us to live the same (we own a condo, two cars, two dogs, like to go out to eat a few times a week, nothing special) that we have here in Atlanta. I was offered a job in Washington DC - same thing. It was more money on paper but actually a 20% pay cut, and that was if we lived way out in the suburbs. I've resigned myself to the fact that we're staying here for the foreseeable future but it's sort of okay because I'm still close to Disney!

We usually go to Disney every other year, sometimes onsite and sometimes offsite. My husband is a chemistry professor and until this year, I have been an education paraprofessional. If it gives you some insight into our income, we've never earned 6 figures, combined.

The only time we've stayed deluxe is when I've been able to hit a super deal, usually through DVC, and it's been a special occasion. One year I hit a stupidly-cheap offer to stay in an OKW villa; $100 a night, all in, through Ebay. Usually we pay about $200-$225 a night through renting DVC points, at BWV (4 nights for DD's 21st birthday) and AKV (2 nights for my 61st b-day, with AKV being my dream resort). This summer's trip will be about $195 a night, standard view at AKL, through a travel agency deal, to celebrate DD's 25th birthday.

I love the deluxe resorts but cannot justify spending the money when we are doing a parks-intensive vacation. USUALLY when we stay onsite, it's ASMu or POP all the way, usually through Orbitz when both WDW and Orbitz are having good deals on rooms. I also have a Disney VISA which builds up about $300 in rewards value every year and we have SW rapid rewards points for free airfare, both of which defray the vacation cost.

prefer four seasons :-)

Yes, we know. You tell us every other post.

OP - I'm not sure that telling you that I'm an epidemiologist is much help :)

But, I would rather shorter/fewer trips with nicer hotels etc. I see why others may feel differently, but that's what works for me. Admittedly, the last trip to WDW (with my cousin, her husband, and their boys) was the Four Seasons, actually :). Which was their choice (they planned a trip and asked if I'd like to join them) and they covered a pretty significant portion of it.

Greetings from Long Island! Real estate costs and taxes eat up our income too.
born and raised on long island....left at 24 and havent looked back. This was one of the main reasons :)

In terms of the question of this thread, for our age, my wife and I do well, so when we go to disney with our 15 year old daughter, we want comfort and convenience. We will be at the Poly again later this month. I so love that resort.

I will add we go every 2-3 years so we do splurge when we go. It’s not an every year thing for us. We can get deluxe accommodations that are true deluxes for much cheaper than Disney almost anywhere else in the world. I feel that i get way more bang for my buck elsewhere but i still love Disney. Disney is our splurge vacation.

We sometimes stay Deluxe (and sometimes Club level at the Deluxe) and sometimes moderate.

Dh is a retired military officer and current government employee. I am a stay at home parent. We've really only stayed Deluxe when we've been able to get a great rate, usually through the military discount program.
Also, we typically do very short trips, like a long weekend.

Disney vacations are wonderful no matter what resort you choose! With that said, we only stay deluxe, mostly because I like to have inside corridors when I leave the room. We normally spend around 21 nights a year at Disney. I am a stay at home mom, my husband is a nuclear engineer. We live in southeast Georgia, so cost of living is fairly low. I also save a set amount for travel every month. I don't often buy myself clothes, never go to have my hair or nails done, don't buy coffee out, and pretty much always cook at home. I spend on my children, and my husband spends on tech gadgets he ' has to have' , but I'd rather not spend on myself......I'd rather go to Disney ;)

Disney vacations are wonderful no matter what resort you choose! With that said, we only stay deluxe, mostly because I like to have inside corridors when I leave the room. We normally spend around 21 nights a year at Disney. I am a stay at home mom, my husband is a nuclear engineer. We live in southeast Georgia, so cost of living is fairly low. I also save a set amount for travel every month. I don't often buy myself clothes, never go to have my hair or nails done, don't buy coffee out, and pretty much always cook at home. I spend on my children, and my husband spends on tech gadgets he ' has to have' , but I'd rather not spend on myself......I'd rather go to Disney ;)
We prefer interior corridors as well.

DH was always in construction..I was a SAHM.......He has been retired over 10yrs....New car or truck maybe every 8 yrs...no pedicures , no hair salons, if it's not on sale or clearance we dont buy.....No smoking , no drinking.....he or my dad always did all repairs.....if we could do the labor we did......we take our kids and grand kids to WDW usually once a year...
In 2000 we bought DVC/BWV....it has afforded us great vacations.........

We have high salaries but do not often choose deluxe hotels UNLESS we are attending a work conference. I have been very lucky to have work events at Disney hotels and to be able to extend my vacations to ten nights, with rooms at the Contemporary or Yacht Club for $220-250/night for an extended vacation, many nights paid by my employer. I highly recommend this tactic if it works for your profession. :)

Yes, this is what we do (though I SAH, DH is a VP of a mid-size tech company). The irony is that the higher he moves up, the more freebies we get when traveling, between miles/points, use of private beach/lake homes, complimentary trips, etc. We are staying at BC in October for a week during DH's conference and only paying for a few nights ourselves, taking advantage of the conference rate. The only downside is that he will be at work for a few days of the trip but he is perfectly okay with missing the princess extravaganza DD (6) and I will be embarking on ;) while he's working and then joining us for the other stuff.

ETA: Sorry, meant to quote UnderTheRialto :)

I am a respiratory therapist and DH is a manufacturing program manager. We are DVC members. For many years, we deposited a set amount of money per month into a vacation fund for Disney. We realized that, with the number of points we wanted to buy with DVC, we would actually save about $50 per month vs our monthly vacation fund contribution. It works for us.

Regardless of your vocation or income, saving for the vacation you want is important if vacationing is important for you. Set a goal and make a plan! Happy planning!

We will be at GF this Christmas, I am a physician assistant & hubby is stay at home dad. When my kids were little it was important to us to stay on a monorail for ease with stroller, but, we rarely paid normal rates. I always tried to find a conference to go to which offers decreased rates. As the kids got older, we usually stayed at AoA if all 5 of us went or POR if 2 or 3 of us went to save a few bucks. This year back to monorail, we will be there Dec 24- Jan 4 but, again, I am going to medical conference at GF for 3 mornings. This drastically reduces cost, I think rack that time of year is $800+ and we were able to get 12 nights for $310/night; not a substantial difference between that and most Hampton Inns we stay at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter