For those of you that stay deluxe - what do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize the mods will find this off topic (I've had posts deleted for that and gotten a violation warning) but hopefully they will let it go (see what I did there?)

Without getting into details - which I will research on my own - simple question:
Can you rent DVC points (that is, rent a DVC room) WITHOUT being a member?

Please - no long discussion - that belongs elsewhere. And please mods - don't lock this very popular thread because of an off topic post of mine. If necessary, just delete my post.

Me and the wife go about 3 times a year we have been married for 5 years and friends for 14. We do not have kids but we both have professional jobs. My wife is a Librarian at a well known University and I am one of those IT Engineers, we live in the mid-west which is cheaper then where I grew up in NY and like I said we do not have kids. The reason we stay in Deluxe is primarily for the Convenience, We both love Epcot and MK. If its food and Wine fest then we tend to stay at the Yacht or the Boardwalk. If its other times then we stay at the GF or Poly, we love the Poly because we also Love Traders Sams and its nice not to have to walk far after a Night in the Grotto. We love GF because of the Restaurants and themeing. We sometimes rent DVC points we sometimes just pay whatever Disneys AP discount is at the time. We usually go for a week each time but not the whole time is spent at Disney. My wife is a beach bunny so we normally do a split stay. Arrive at MCO, magic express to one of our preferred resorts, spend a day or two then grab a rental drive to Clearwater, stay a couple more days there and then drive back to Disney and finish the trip for another couple of Days. We spend alot of time in the parks and have been known to walk 20 plus miles a day while at Disney just bouncing back and forth, in saying that we love the beach days in the middle because it gives us time to rest our feet and enjoy some coastal food. We know we could go to Disney cheaper and save a significant amount if we didnt do deluxe and didnt do signature restaurants but it comes down to the fact that we work very hard and alot of hours most of the rest of the year and Disney and the Beach are our respective breaks and gives us the release of stress that our jobs entail. Eventually we may buy DVC but due to the the fact of it becoming more and more harder to book non home resorts with rooms more along the size of just being for two people, we kinda dont feel the need. IF we have kids in the future we may decide to take that plunge or if there are some better DVC options in the future that are full of Bungalows or Cabins that cost alot of points but have little demand thus flooding the market with more points but less number of size appropriate accommodations, then we might change our mind. Yet right now paying for Deluxe with our AP discounts tends to be the best option for us and allows us the most flexibility.

I realize the mods will find this off topic (I've had posts deleted for that and gotten a violation warning) but hopefully they will let it go (see what I did there?)

Without getting into details - which I will research on my own - simple question:

Please - no long discussion - that belongs elsewhere. And please mods - don't lock this very popular thread because of an off topic post of mine. If necessary, just delete my post.

Yes you can rent points without being a DVC member, there are a couple sites out there that broker these transactions for you or you can find a DVC Member and rent directly from them, there is a spot on the disboards for you to find those members in the DVC section and they will post any points they are willing to rent. Normally you can get a Deluxe room for the Price of a Moderate. For example when I went last month our DVC rooms were just a bit over 230 dollars a night but we got a great deal on the points. Your average seller sells points for anywhere between 15 and 17 dollars a point . The online brokers all charge 17 a point from there websites but they only pay the DVC members about 14. So alot of DVC members just rent directly to people to make a couple extra bucks

Last edited:
Neat thread. :)

I am a Masters level mental health clinician (read therapist) and DH is a retired 20+ year career firefighter. We own DVC and thats how we stay Deluxe. Best vacation investment ever! We have been members since 2009.

Greetings from Long Island! Real estate costs and taxes eat up our income too.

I agree. I don't people across the country realize the cost of living around the NYC area. The real estate taxes, car insurance, cost of living is sooo much higher. My cousins in Ohio pay $1500/year in real estate taxes and my family members pay $12K-23K a YEAR. It is a different world!!!

I know a lot of people on here go to deluxe and pay high prices but MOST of us are not independently wealthy, HOWEVER, I think a lot of people work hard for a living and love a nice vacation and love a week where they feel relaxed and non-stressed. When we stay deluxe, it is a lot more non-stressful. We stay at the BW area for 4 nights and then the GF for 4 nights. No buses, relax at the resorts, eat at nice restaurants. We probably spend around $6K for 8 nights, 9 days for tickets, resorts and food (including a nice sit down dinner every night) and we have a great vacation. Everyone is happy and for my husband and I, it is some great down time and soooo relaxing. We don't do Disney commando because we go yearly. Love our time at the resorts, great meals and walk around at night and take in the beautiful relaxing/beautiful area. We try to skip Disney but find it hard to.

I agree. I don't people across the country realize the cost of living around the NYC area. The real estate taxes, car insurance, cost of living is sooo much higher. My cousins in Ohio pay $1500/year in real estate taxes and my family members pay $12K-23K a YEAR. It is a different world!!!
Ohioan here and we pay $10k a year in property taxes for our $300k home. Not sure where your family is but around Cleveland are taxes are not cheap at all. Cleveland itself however, is. In AZ however taxes on my $280k home were $1200/year. Crazy how it all works.

Ohioan here and we pay $10k a year in property taxes for our $300k home. Not sure where your family is but around Cleveland are taxes are not cheap at all. Cleveland itself however, is. In AZ however taxes on my $280k home were $1200/year. Crazy how it all works.

They are in the Akron area. I know taxes are crazy, we have high taxes but also have a great school system. Also, our police get paid around $120K a year and police chiefs in small towns get around $200K/year. Too much money being spent.

I work in accounting. I don’t always stay deluxe. In fact last year and this year have all been at Pop so I can build my savings back up after buying a car last year. I get six weeks vacation and usually spend three or four at Disney and the balance elsewhere. I work out a budget for the year and then figure out where I can stay based on the budget. A more common mix for me is one value trip, two mods and one deluxe. Sometimes it’s two deluxe and one mod. It also depends on where I am going for my non Disney trips. I like all levels of resort, but WL is probably my favorite.

We are both nurses though I don't do direct patient care any longer. We have no consumer debt (only a very reasonable mortgage) and save and pay cash for all our travel (Disney or otherwise). We didn't travel much, if any, while we were getting out our consumer debt. Now, what would be a car payment each month goes into a savings account and we travel when and where we like. We stay deluxe with a terrific travel agency exclusive that has been mentioned by others. In fact, our deluxe stay and 8d park hoppers is a few dollars less than Disney's sale price for POR for the exact same times. I don't feel that Disney's deluxe resorts are worth full rack rate, but with the discount they fall right into our value equation. We stopped cruising DCL when they raised prices so high that we no longer felt like we got value for the money spent. If we couldn't get the agency deal, we'd likely be right back at POR, which we also LOVE!

I actually stay at all levels of resorts (and this year will have stayed in all of them at least once, I am even renting DVC points so I get all 4 categories across the board, it's like resort bingo lol). I am actually a stay-at-home mom and a full time student, but my husband works in commercial real estate and development, and is a part time college professor. The only time I go all out on anything is with Disney vacations, even if we can afford stuff I still hate spending money, but maybe that's how we can afford to stay deluxe so much. I also love a good deal so I'm always looking for great room discounts, I follow a very simple rule in my life: never pay full price for anything (except for my AP and food at Disney, I'll splurge ;) ).

I get it, I live in Vancouver BC and it's insane. 20 years ago, it wasn't, but now... yikes. Honestly, I never find Disney TS or CS prices crazy because it's quite comparable to what I pay at home.

That's how it was when we lived in Colorado Springs 10 years ago, 1000-1200/year. Now we live in the Seattle area and our property taxes went up 1200 just this year lol I wont even start with how much they are @@

I haven't actually stayed Deluxe yet, but I'm hoping to do a split stay with four nights at AKL on my next WDW trip and funding-wise it looks feasible. I work in a mid-size museum in a small city with low cost of living; I'm not rich by any means but I live comfortably. I'm not going to sit here and say that anyone can afford Deluxe if they just try hard enough; I personally know people who would struggle to afford a stay in a WDW Value. There is definitely a baseline income you have to have before it's feasible; I don't know exactly where that is. As for how I afford it on the salary of an employee of a nonprofit....

I have a very clear budget and vacation savings are a big priority with every paycheck. I use You Need a Budget to track everything; I spent a year just tracking what was coming in and what was going out so I would understand where my money was going, and then built a budget based on that. The big things it does for me is that a.) I always have money set aside for recurring expenses and emergencies, so those don't wipe out my discretionary funds; b.) I'm able to cap my spending on indulgent categories that don't matter as much to me in the long term view, like fast food (I have a really bad fast food habit, but I'm improving!); and c.) I'm able to budget enough for the things I do want to have available to me that I don't feel deprived.

That last one was a big one that kind of surprised me. In that year of self-observation, I learned that I'm much more likely to break the rules I've set out for myself if I feel deprived. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I found that by increasing my budget in a few categories (entertainment, clothing, and home goods were the big ones) I decreased my overall spending in those categories. What was happening was that I'd hit my spending limit, get frustrated, ignore my budget, and go way over. Now that my budget is more generous in those areas, I always feel like I have enough and often don't bother to spend it all. So if I had $15 per paycheck in one category before but would routinely break the rules and spend $50 from it that I had to scramble to cover with other funds, budgeting $35 is actually cheaper in the long run when that's an amount I can stick to.

I was also very fortunate in that I got a substantial raise about a month after "finalizing" my budget (it's never really final; I constantly tweak it). When the raise started coming in I simply did not increase my spending in any of my regular categories. All of that money got routed straight into my vacation fund, and continues to go there. That helped a lot. By never giving myself a chance to grow accustomed to spending all of my new, higher salary on day to day life, I've never had cause to miss that money.

Then there's just various ways of saving money. I own a house, but I co-own it with a friend. I walk to work every other day partly for my health and partly because it means I can fill my car's gas tank just once a month, sometimes even less frequently than that. I deduct all of my donations; we've been KonMari'ing the house and it's shocking how much of a deduction I've been able to get off of my state taxes just by reporting the things I was already going to donate. The KonMari approach means I'm also much more stingy about buying new things; I only buy things that perfectly suit my needs and whenever it's practical I wait for sales instead of buying things right away.

And then when it comes to vacation, I build thorough and honest budgets for each one before I go. I skew the numbers high on everything so that I'm more likely to underspend than overspend based on my expectations. I figure out what I can afford, and I spend just that--no more coming home from vacation to two months' worth of credit card debt.

And finally...others have said it, but I'll reiterate: I've just started to be able to do this kind of vacation now that I'm in my early thirties, and tbqh the only reason I can afford to do it so early in life is that I don't have kids.

IMO if a family can afford any longer WDW trip ( a week or 4 nigjt) they are at the threshold where thru saving for that once in a life trip or cutting back on other non-essentials ( eating out) they can pay the difference of offsite to deluxe. Example let’s take 80 a night ballpark offiste vs 400 ballpark deluxe. That 320 per night difference is doable by saving either a few months or years depending on income. A family barely able to make monthly rent of 400/500, have no savings and cc debt can’t even afford a wdw offsite, brownbagging vacation. A friend is lower income. She visited family about 1.5 from WDW. They was her one family vacation in years. A roadtrip south. They could only afford one day MK. And that was for them an expensive day spending 500. And for some families that is a standard cost for a character TS.

We afford WDW as my mom basically pays. But here’s the funny thing. On paper she is low income. She brings in about 1500 a month in SS. But her living expenses are really low. She owns a studio condo (1.5 rooms). But spends about 2 nigjts a week with us as she lives 15 min away. Her monthly living expenses are about 400. She barely goes out to eat, has no car, doesn’t “shop” really. Groceries for her about 40 a month. She shops at aldi etc.
She has a mutual fund that is play money. 2000 a year for vacation. On top of saving ( which she can save about 1000 a month for play money). She is able to put aside about 7-8 grand a year for WDW. Usually she, me and the 2 kids. DH stays home. This year we are doing 7 nights split POP free dining and 4 nights Beach club. Then 4 night disney dream. Around 7000-8000 About 80% paid by grandma.

Ironically DH and I bring home almost 6000 net a month. Our house is paid off but we have soooo many more expenses ( kids cars, ski vacations, huge house, huge costs. or other savings ( retirement) there is no way we could afford these trips yearly nor really save for them.

So in a nut shell. Income has really nothing to do with it. But what are your expenses and how much play money one has. My mom basically lives for her WDW trips. It makes her happy. She would never go alone( couldnt either at her age). So it’s a win win. She pays and we all have a great time with her.

IMO if a family can afford any longer WDW trip ( a week or 4 nigjt) they are at the threshold where thru saving for that once in a life trip or cutting back on other non-essentials ( eating out) they can pay the difference of offsite to deluxe. Example let’s take 80 a night ballpark offiste vs 400 ballpark deluxe. That 320 per night difference is doable by saving either a few months or years depending on income. A family barely able to make monthly rent of 400/500, have no savings and cc debt can’t even afford a wdw offsite, brownbagging vacation. A friend is lower income. She visited family about 1.5 from WDW. They was her one family vacation in years. A roadtrip south. They could only afford one day MK. And that was for them an expensive day spending 500. And for some families that is a standard cost for a character TS.

The few people I knew growing up that did go to Disney that's how they did it. Offsite motel or a family members house and MK for one day. I grew up in a neighborhood where 80% of the people lived below the poverty line.

Honestly I only know 2-3 people in real life who go to Disney and stay onsite for a week. Only one has ever stayed deluxe. Everyone else does offsite condo trips and 1 MAYBE 2 (always MK at least) Disney parks for the week. The rest are Orlando attractions.

And for most people I know Disney is an obligatory trip for their children. They do it once and they are done. So if they do offsite they make sure to fit MK in there for one day and that's it. They have no desire to ever go back.

I work with docs and all do one obligatory trip for their kids. They really don't want to go so they make sure they go as comfortable as possible. They stay in a deluxe suite or 2-3 bedroom villa, go for a week, signature dining, etc and then they never go back and have no desire to ever go back.

I certainly wouldn't close a thread because of one OT question, but you'll get a lot more answers to your question if you create a new thread for it. :)

Honestly I only know 2-3 people in real life who go to Disney and stay onsite for a week.

And for most people I know Disney is an obligatory trip for their children. They do it once and they are done.

That's why these boards skew "reality"; EVERYONE is a Disney fanatic and after a while it seems like that's common. Confirmation bias or whatever.

Yes, there are MANY people in this country who could not responsibly afford a Disney vacation more than once in their life. And many of them may not even WANT to. Those of us who can (though income alone or through motivated saving and budgeting) I hope recognize we do not represent the majority of the country.

I'll be going to a wedding about 2 hours drive - with a couple who at times literally mocks our decision to go to Disney "so often" (eight times in 30 years might seem like "hardly ever" to some people on the boards!). They also mock our decision to spend long weekends at a lakeside resort in a neighboring state as frivolous. I dread the car ride with them if our vacation next week comes up. Frankly, I don't understand where they get the idea they have any business commenting on how we spend our money (that I often work long hours to earn.)

I really don't think what you do for a living is accurate for staying at a deluxe. If you plan ahead, which if I'm going to stay deluxe, like getting reservations a year or a little less than a year and pay monthly you don't have a problem. This is what I do for all trips even staying at moderate. Makes it a lot easier on the money and stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter