For those of you that stay deluxe - what do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think every kid deserves to go to WDW. Disneys a business that wants to make a profit not a welfare program.

I guess that's true, it would probably become really unmanageable if they did it for everyone. It would be nice if they even just selected 364 kids per year or something, though. No one would even notice one extra family per day, and think of the joy it would bring those kids. I know it's a business, but it's supposed to be about magic and wishes coming true, too.

As for your suggestion, I've done that! I just didn't forgo my own trips. I have an annual pass, so it wouldn't save me any money to do so, lol. :)
Disney is not a RIGHT, it is a privilege. Earn it, like we did. And Disney is not about magic and making wishes come true. It is about pleasing shareholders.

It is funny, but about maybe 7 years ago something broke for me when I saw some parents negotiating with and then begging their approximately 8 year old son to take a picture (in the Epcot British kidcot area. lol). It was horrible how bratty he was, how catered too, and how pathetic and ridiculous the parents seemed. Then I just started to see it everywhere at different levels (I have found it very bad on DCL btw), kids acting unreasonably and parents acting like it was normal. In my own kids too. I just did a parenting 180 and started to say tough when they complained about something. I definitely am of the mindset now that I do not want things to be perfect on vacation, that kids face so little real adversity today that they crumble when they face minor adversity in the real world. I am not saying I wouldn't ever stay deluxe again but my entire perspectiive has changed on what is necessary to have fun.
This resonates with me. We are of the “tough” parenting stripe. I believe kids need to learn that everything costs and that these experiences are a privilege. We are dvc so we spend roughly forty nights a year onsite. I’ve been going to Disney since I was nine. Forty six almost now. Once I was a teen, I started paying my own way. Started in the values. I remember how thrilled I was with my first week long stay at POFQ when I started working full time. I’ve had to earn every trip. My kids, not so much, as they accompany me. One day though, not too long from now, they’ll be welcome to the dvc room, but passes and air will be on them. It’s so important that they learn to save, spend carefully. In our daily life, we are pretty tough on them. It’s very important to us that they understand that they are not the centre of the universe and that what they want in life must be earned.

Wow, I can't believe how much callousness I'm hearing about the idea of giving a few underprivileged kids a chance to have an experience their parents can't afford.

These are children. They don't have jobs. It's not their fault if their parents don't have money. I was given everything as a child, and it wasn't earned. I wasn't a better child than anyone else, I was born into a nice life.

If you feel differently, that's fine -- but I feel very sad for the people who don't believe that Disney is about magic or that poor kids don't deserve the same experiences because they haven't "earned it". We're not better than the people who make our food or stock our grocery store shelves. Society needs all of us to run. Be kind.

Wow, I can't believe how much callousness I'm hearing about the idea of giving a few underprivileged kids a chance to have an experience their parents can't afford.

These are children. They don't have jobs. It's not their fault if their parents don't have money. I was given everything as a child, and it wasn't earned. I wasn't a better child than anyone else, I was born into a nice life.

If you feel differently, that's fine -- but I feel very sad for the people who don't believe that Disney is about magic or that poor kids don't deserve the same experiences because they haven't "earned it". We're not better than the people who make our food or stock our grocery store shelves. Society needs all of us to run. Be kind.
I feel sad for people that think that kids need to go to Disney to have a happy childhood.

I think your thought process may just be skewed because of your upbringing if you will. I think you're thinking with your heart.

Just about no one I knew growing up cared about Disney nor do anyone else outside of those I've met on this Board I know has been to Disney recently except my neighbor a few years ago (and he's not clamoring back).

It does come off a bit strange to say poor kids this and that. Disney is just not everyone's destination nor could they care any minute difference if they went to Disney or not.

I think you place way more importance on the destination rather than the means to vacation anywhere. Vacationing is not required either in life. Some people never really want to vacation and I'm sure they are still ok in life; as are their kids. Maybe they even do day trips to places, maybe they don't. Maybe they do staycations, maybe they don't.

I go with my mother and sister. My sister and I have solidly middle (probably more lower middle) class incomes; and my mother's lean's toward upper middle class.

We probably spend about %25 more than we should by staying deluxe. However, we love AKL, go every year, and absolutely love it. Therefore it is worth every penny.

Also, when we started going to Disney, it was very much a save every penny type of experience; so it is nice to go now where we can spend the money a little more comfortably.

We could easily cut the cost of the trip in half by staying at values, not doing park-hopper, and doing other cuts, but enjoy a more luxurious experience. I work in Insurance Claims and should probably go the moderate route, but the experience AKL provides is %1,000.00 worth it!

I agree with PP. Ibelieve your view is skewed by your upbringing and status in life. I see on another thread you are going to V & A’s on Thursday, a meal that will likely cost around $750 for2 including tax and gratuity. I can not afford that. But I also don’t think I am entitled to that experience.
It has nothing to do with being kind. A vacation-to anywhere - is earned, not a right

As a decidedly lower middle class person who can’t even conceive of buying a home at my pay scale, who comes from a family defined as “poor”. We and I are are far from “lazy” and my parents busted their behinds for decades. We are far from entitled and the middle class and upper class and those born into it wouldn’t begin to fathom the challenges and constant grinding stress and disrespect people I grew up with went through.

I........ don’t really feel like I belong. And I am starting to feel like that is where Disney is going. The costs of a deluxe resort make my jaw drop and my sister and I felt....... out of place using Saratoga springs to take a bus or in an elevator at the Contemporary

I am starting to understand why.

We don't go unless we can get a conference rate - those make a huge difference!

I do understand the feeling of feeling confused about how people make finances happen for Disney related stuff. Disney World is a splurge for us but pretty manageable. But then, since I like Disney so much, I looked into their Iceland vacation and realized the cost would be over $30,000 for two adults and two kids... I certainly don't begrudge anyone their vacation if they can swing that, but sometimes I'm like "Wait, am I doing something really wrong with my finances?". I mean, I've been blessed enough to do pretty well (like 'upper middle class' well, not fabulously wealthy well,) I don't waste money on designer purses or other things - would most people in my position be able to afford $30K for a family trip? Am I way behind the curve in investing, or are those trips only meant for truly wealthy families, or what? I'm not sure if I should be doing better with my finances or those trips are just geared towards people in a different income bracket or what.

You have to be literally throwing money out the window of your rental car to spend that much money in Iceland. I don’t even take home that much after taxes and I’ve been there three times.

One thing I’ve learned. Generational wealth is a real thing, an incredibly powerful thing, and something most people with can’t imagin life without. You aren’t doing anything wrong financially. Unless you are in the top brackets wages are stagnant

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, i wasn't really sure where to put it. I'm also sorry if this is an uncouth thing to discuss, but I thought it would be interesting!

I've always dreamed of taking future kids (getting married next spring) to Disney and staying at GF every time (it's my favorite!). However, I know it's incredibly expensive and can't fathom how people afford to take their kids and stay deluxe all the time! So I'm curious, if you love to stay deluxe with the kiddos, what do you do for a living? Or do you have any other secrets to how you afford to stay deluxe?

I've never stayed deluxe with children so I can't comment on that aspect of your question, but I've been able to afford my deluxe stays in the past in one of two ways:
- using my DVC points (Poly is my home resort)
- using my CM discount (I'm an NBA editor for ESPN, which is 80% owned by Disney)

One year during our holiday season, they were offering incredible CM discounts on club level rooms at Grand Floridian, which spoiled me like crazy. Now I desperately want to do that again, but I've never gotten anything remotely close to that offer since.

I haven’t read this entire thread but I’ve bounced in some to see what people are saying.

First, the thread title. o_O Perhaps it was my southern upbringing but that thread title made me gasp. Gee whiz, why not just ask ladies their weight & age?! Like WOW. But, reading the OPs first post I see where they’re coming from.

I grew up in a lower middle class blended family in Central Florida in the 80s. 5 kids in the house. We had 3-Season Salute passes that my parents were able to afford one year when their tax return was more than expected. Even then, we could only drink from water fountains. Occasionally a splurge for a Coke (only 1!) and a popcorn (only 1!) happened and all of us split them. Mostly we drove offsite to The Ponderosa buffet which was $.99 for kids.

When my brother & I were visiting our dad twice a year (he was in the Navy) he took us places like Disney, Six Flags, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, etc. Dad lived on the ship or in barracks and saved his money year-round to enjoy when he had us with him.

I married young. I had a lot of problems as a teenager....quit high school, got my GED, and went to college a year or so. My hubby has some college in his education but mostly his knowledge is from experience. We started out a couple kids with a beat-down old truck, each other, and a whole lot of dreams. We worked hard. Hubby got into a profession he was able to utilize his pipe fitting/construction knowledge & advance. Everything we have we worked for. Nothing came easy. If we wanted something we committed to that goal and made it happen.

The first trip we took our kids we stayed at Pop in the first month it was open. The room was pretty affordable. Hubby & I sold a lot of our things that had value. He sold off his fishing gear. I sold off my doll collection. We picked up extra hours and worked odd jobs. We made it happen. The first trip was so amazing we decided we wante to try to do that every year. Mostly that’s what we did. Pop for a couple years there I know we got for like $55/night. It was crazy! Then, 11 years ago hubby had an opportunity to make a big move in jobs. Overnight our income shot up. He was suddenly making his previous wage + my wage + a very large increase. That’s when we started staying deluxe. We still watched our spending all year and made our trips our priority.

As we’ve gotten older and our sons are grown we travel more without them than with. That certainly facilitates additional or more expensive trips. He also has worked so many years with the company he is with he gets a full 4 weeks of PTO a year + holidays off so that also makes the traveling much more doable.

Honestly, I think what it boils down to is where people place priority. There are some who spend big $$$ every year for hunting leases, ATVs, etc. That’s fine. It’s whats important to them. Some people live in big houses. Some people are season ticket holders to local professional sports teams. It’s all what people place priority on. We lived for that escape with our boys so we all worked towards it all year. Life has a way of evolving and circumstances can also add a boost.

I don’t think Disney is an entitlement or something that is required for happiness. No way. I figured it out a loooong time ago that the part I loved most about our trips was the uninterrupted, dedicated time with just us. It’s about the time with my little family. I forget where we were on one of our cruises, some island or port somewhere, we were driving along past homes that were little more than tin sheds. People were sitting outside together smiling, visibly enjoying one another. Those people had very little in the way of financial means or luxuries. I’m sure they probably had never been anywhere off their own island. Yet there they were smiling and happy. Looking back, when hubby & I first started out when we had so little other than each other and certainly couldn’t afford to go out to supper much less travel, we were perfectly happy, too. We look at that time in our lives, the simplicity of it, and know even without anything at all we were truly happy. Happiness is a state of mind. It’s one thing Disney can’t brand or shell out a billion dollars to buy.

You have to be literally throwing money out the window of your rental car to spend that much money in Iceland. I don’t even take home that much after taxes and I’ve been there three times.

One thing I’ve learned. Generational wealth is a real thing, an incredibly powerful thing, and something most people with can’t imagin life without. You aren’t doing anything wrong financially. Unless you are in the top brackets wages are stagnant
That's what I was thinking. My brother and his son spent 2 weeks in Iceland, rented a car drove around the island, used airbnb to book rooms for the night. I'm sure they spent under 5k including airfare. Heck our Iceland cruise on DCL was under 10k. I think pp is talking about vacations by Disney which is basically for the super wealthy and their prices don't include airfare. I could see going to China or Africa with ABD if you have the money, but Iceland? Having been there and having several friends and family that have been there...no way would I spend that kind of money to visit Iceland. It's has to be the easiest and safest country in the world to explore on your own.

Thanks OP Ive also wondered the same and am grateful to all those who shared their lives.

We are planning a Bar Mitzvah WDW trip next year and since we're not US citizens (or residents), I cant really use 99% of the discounts or saving tips. So Im really overwhelmed by the costs. The flights alone are over 1000$ pp...

Btw our only WDW trip was on Sept 04 or 05. Stayed at the Pop and enjoyed the brand new free dining promo. Boy have the prices skyrocketed since...

As a decidedly lower middle class person who can’t even conceive of buying a home at my pay scale, who comes from a family defined as “poor”. We and I are are far from “lazy” and my parents busted their behinds for decades. We are far from entitled and the middle class and upper class and those born into it wouldn’t begin to fathom the challenges and constant grinding stress and disrespect people I grew up with went through.

I........ don’t really feel like I belong. And I am starting to feel like that is where Disney is going. The costs of a deluxe resort make my jaw drop and my sister and I felt....... out of place using Saratoga springs to take a bus or in an elevator at the Contemporary

I am starting to understand why.

Depending on where you live, you should look into first time home buyers programs. Owning your own home will give you the foundation and control of your future monthly expenses. Being poor has nothing to do with money, it’s more a state of mind. Never let anyone else control your emotions. In our household, we love Edna Mode. You fight ... you Win !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter