FOP Motion Sickness

I will start by saying I took Bonine (meclizine) each night of our trip, starting with the night before our flight down. I had never done this before, but thought I'd give it a try to ward off potential travel/motion sickness. I find the older I get (almost 50), the more prone I am. I never do Mission Space (either one), Star Tours or Everest (one and done for that one - backwards in the dark is no good for me). I scored a coveted FOP FP+ for my party of 5, but was not sure about riding myself. Even while in line I was questioning it. My family talked me in to trying it (reasoning that I'm fine with Soarin), and I did want to see what all the fuss is about. Well, I must say, I am so happy I did it. It is an amazing ride, I didn't want it to end! I didn't experience even a hint of motion sickness. I'm sure the Bonine helped - at this point I had taken them every night for 3 nights. We've now been home for a week and the family is still talking about this ride.
I know everyone is different, and YMMV - just wanted to share my experience.

I have to take Bonine daily on my trip- as there is always something that sets off my sensitive motion sickness (Everest, Rock n Roller, Space mt. , carpet scene of Philharmagic, and Crush part of finding Nemo Ride( can't do Star Tours even with meds). I was nervous about FOP.. but it was amazing- and glad I risked it. I did need to look down at my ride vehicle a couple times just to "gather myself"- but I did ok with the ride using the Bonine. I would not want to risk riding it a second time- the same day- even with the meds.. but once was ok. My daughter who is also prone to motion sickness felt ill after the ride and had to sit down in the AC for an hour or so after getting off (even with taking the Bonine). My suggestion is to make your FP's for late in the day- that way if you do not feel well, it does not ruin your day and you can go and sleep off the motion sickness.

How

How far in advance do you take something, and what do you take? Do you think it helps your motion sickness? (Anyone else who can weigh in on this also?)

I take my motion sickness medicine first thing in the morning (with breakfast). If I'm doing Everest or something I know is going to push my limits in the evening- I'll take a second Bonine an hour before the ride.

Does the Bonine make you drowsy at all?

My husband can get some motion sickness, Dramamine helps but totally knocks him out.

I get motion sickness... rode FOP Monday. I definitely had to close my eyes for at least half of the ride. There were parts that I could watch, but if I'd kept my eyes open throughout, barf city.

Now if I can just get a pair of glasses for FOP that actually fit my small little head. Do they have kids glasses? I didn't think to ask last trip.

This. I had to lean over and hold the glasses to my 6 year old's face. She refused to let go of the handlebars but wanted the glasses on!

I use Scopolamine patches for motion sickness. They're prescription, high copay, and much better than any OTC med or sea bands. They're also not always effective. My oldest and I simply will not try FOP, not worth the risk.

I took Dramamine 1 hour before the ride (as directed) and wore the sea bands. I get very bad motion sickness. I did not feel well on the ride. The wind saved me but I won't be riding it again anytime soon.

Has anyone tried sea bands to help with their motion sickness on FOP?

My husband just got prescription motion sickness patches to take as well as a pack of sea bands... we go in 3 days, I'll report back how he does...

Well, I had no idea this ride would do that. Thanks for the heads up. Minions & Simpsons were horrible for me & I had my eyes closed most of the rides. Forbidden Journey was fine til the Quidditch part. I skipped Transformers due to Simpsons. I have yet to do Mission Space or Star Tours due to how sick I usually get. I just can't handle rides where screen and I am moving. I love roller coasters though.
I am one to get motion sick on bus rides. I have learned on my trip to Costa Rica that when I am feeling nauseous, to rub peppermint oil on my hands and just breathe that in with my eyes closed or looking up at the ceiling. It helped from needing a barf bag. So I will be packing my peppermint oil for our next WDW trip.

Oh man, this is making me nervous. I'm going next month with ODS and he definitely wants to ride. When we go with the whole family DH usually rides with him on the things that I can't handle. I do take a Bonine, but it's effects are limited. My boss just rode it for the first time and said she was pretty dizzy coming off of it. Fingers crossed if it gets to be too much I can just close my eyes. It doesn't always work for me but I can't let him miss it.

Well, I had no idea this ride would do that. Thanks for the heads up. Minions & Simpsons were horrible for me & I had my eyes closed most of the rides. Forbidden Journey was fine til the Quidditch part. I skipped Transformers due to Simpsons. I have yet to do Mission Space or Star Tours due to how sick I usually get. I just can't handle rides where screen and I am moving. I love roller coasters though.
I am one to get motion sick on bus rides. I have learned on my trip to Costa Rica that when I am feeling nauseous, to rub peppermint oil on my hands and just breathe that in with my eyes closed or looking up at the ceiling. It helped from needing a barf bag. So I will be packing my peppermint oil for our next WDW trip.

Peppermint helps me too! I actually have these peppermint beadlets that I pop in my mouth before a ride if needed. I know ginger helps too so I thought to bring that along for our next trip. I really want to ride FoP so I might even go the Bonnie route also.

I took my elderly mother on FoP (mid 70's) and she got on the seat and was locked in. The ride started and she immediately looked away towards my "bike" the entire ride. So my first experience (I've been on it 2X since) was one eye on her out of concern and the other on the screen.

I will say that the 2nd and 3rd rides for me (solo), not only didn't I take any medication, but had no issues. In fact, I did release my hands during certain sections of the ride to experience a better sense of "free falling".

But, I can't do orange at MS, I don't enjoy Minions, Star Tours.

I had to close my eyes a lot during FOP, except during the moments it paused. It was a beautiful ride, but I realize now that I'm no good with the computer simulated rides - Star Tours, Harry Potter Forbidden Journey. It's not that I get dizzy, my brain just can't handle the intensity of the movement. I can handle roller coasters or other thrill rides just fine, just not anything with a screen. So, I would say try FOP once and look away or close your eyes if you need to. I'm glad I tried all these rides and would do them again for my kids, but probably won't look at the screens. Actually I enjoyed Forbidden Journey the most during the non-Quidditch parts because of the other elements of the ride.

This is why I'm glad I was not able to get a FP for FOP. I plan to ride it right at closing, so if it makes me sick, I was planning on going back to the resort and going to bed anyway. As far as meclizine, it doesn't make me sleepy, but once I go to sleep, I can't get up. It makes me extremely groggy hours later. I can take only half of one, or else I'll be miserable. I also find I do better if I start it about one or two weeks before my trip. The side effects diminish quite a bit after it builds up in my body. I'm flying out in three weeks and plan on starting it next weekend.

Any advice for dramamine/bonine for kids? DS is 6 1/2. He sometimes gets motion sickness in the car, especially watching a movie. He can only handle watching something that is firmly attached to the seat in front of him. I am wary for him on this ride and we haven't tried motion sickness meds for him. He handles all spinning rides fine, including tilt a whirls/scramblers/himalayas. but i'm worried about the screen + motion.

I don't ever get car or air sick. I do get motion sickness when at sea.

I don't get sick on rides, but I was close to vomiting on FOP. If it were 30 seconds longer, I would have.

I don't get the comparison between FOP and Soarin. The two rides have the scents and a screen, but that's it. The motion on Soarin is like being on a porch swing. The movement on FOP is a lot rougher--I mean A LOT--like 900 times more.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter