FOP Motion Sickness

rmkfan1

Earning My Ears
Just to help others who have issues with motion sickness on motion simulators:

Rode FOP today. Got very very sick from the motion. Same for me as Mission Space: Orange and Simpsons at Universal. Cool ride, but never again for me. Kids loved it...the one who has never been motion sick was fine (and in fact said it was her favorite ride of the day even counting Everest, which is her favorite ride at all of DW, so very high praise) and the one who gets slightly sensitive from time to time said he felt it drop his stomach a little but not bad at all.

Just for context I'm fine on soarin' and mission space: green, and once is usually enough (although I don't get too bad) on star tours and the Harry Potter simulators. After about 30 seconds on FOP I was praying for it to be over so I wouldn't vomit over the handlebars!

YMMV, but I wish I had seen this type of warning from someone who has had similarly bad experiences on FOP (truth be told I probably would've been tempted enough to ride it anyway, but knowing what I know now...never again for me). Thankfully it was the last ride the day.

Thank you for sharing. I can't even ride soarin without feeling a little queasy so I guess this ride is out for me.

Thanks. I had read other people say they were fine even though they tend to get motion sick. I don't get motion sick but my husband does. Now I'm wondering if he should chance it. Our FP is first thing in the morning so it might put him out of commission for most of the day.

He's fine on Soarin', but can't do Star Tours.

I can do Soarin with no problems, Star Tours makes me uncomfortable but not throw up all over the world. FOP also make me uncomfortable, I can ride it but I don't enjoy it as much as others. I won't ride it again unless I'm with my son, who loved it. Part of my problems were I couldn't keep the glasses on my head so had to hold them the entire ride. The front part of the ride pushes against my sternum, which causes my reflux to act up. I got off it a little quesy but not about to throw up on everyone.

I had the same experience as rmkfan1. I was so glad the ride paused twice to admire the view! I was focusing on the horizon and breathing! I'm very surprised there were no warnings or barf bags (like Mission Space). I thought the ride was amazing but I don't think I'll ride again. I was nauseated for an hour. I remember taking several hours to recover from Mission Space and the old Body Wars (never tried Star Tours).

Does closing your eyes help at all when the nausea starts?

It did for me - but I can handle multiple rides on Star Tours, on a good day. I did get horribly sick a long time ago when riding Aladdin's carpet thing at Disney Quest. FoP had enough non-motion parts to keep me balanced, and I closed my eyes as soon as I felt myself getting a bit off. Sad that I missed probably a quarter of the ride, but glad I tried it once. Not sure if I will try it again. I'm actually surprised I was able to ride, as this past trip had me at urgent care and the ER. I've never been so sick on vacation! Thought I wouldn't be able to handle the ride, but it was gentle enough not to cause me any extra pain. I even thought I felt a bit better after the ride.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for the heads-up! I myself suffer from vertigo, so that one is totally out for me. But my son gets queasy on Soarin' and Star Tours, so he'll obviously need to forego FoP as well.

The ride vehicle moves too. Your brain is processing input from your eyes and what your body feels (movement) on the banshee. For me, I don't think closing my eyes would work. It could have something to do with head position too.

I did not enjoy FOP, either. I love Soarin', can handle Mission Space Green, but can't do Star Tours and have never tried Mission Space Orange. Part of the problem on FOP for me was the breeze and mist blowing in my face, that's what I don't like. Even on POTC, at the part when the fog is coming down, I have a minor anxiety issue. It takes my breath away for some reason - that's what happened on FOP and it caused me to panic.

Does closing your eyes help at all when the nausea starts?

I just looked away from the screen. The movement still bothered me when I closed my eyes, but looking away from the screen I could see exactly how we were moving and it helped immensely.

I have to try it once, but I do get motion sick. Will take meclizine the night before and hope it helps.
I can do Soarin, Mission Space Green.....the breeze in those helps.
Can't do Star Tours, Forbidden Journey.

I felt very nauseous on FoP, too. I was surprised how sick I felt. I was very grateful for the air they blow at you (to simulate wind and speed) and for the couple of times my Banshee landed. From the beginning of the ride, I tried anticipating the direction "we" would be heading, and then about half-way through I tried focusing on the "horizon." Neither strategy helped, and I was relieved when the ride stopped. With that said, I'm really glad I rode it because the ride is incredible. One and done for me, though.

How
I have to try it once, but I do get motion sick. Will take meclizine the night before and hope it helps.
I can do Soarin, Mission Space Green.....the breeze in those helps.
Can't do Star Tours, Forbidden Journey.
How far in advance do you take something, and what do you take? Do you think it helps your motion sickness? (Anyone else who can weigh in on this also?)

How

How far in advance do you take something, and what do you take? Do you think it helps your motion sickness? (Anyone else who can weigh in on this also?)

Meclizine is our choice wherever motion sickness comes into play. For sure take one the night before bed. Take another in the morning on waking up. It needs time to work and build up.

Meclizine is our choice wherever motion sickness comes into play. For sure take one the night before bed. Take another in the morning on waking up. It needs time to work and build up.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into it. I thought your previous post with Meclizine was a typo for medicine - lol.

I rode Soarin' today for the first time (ever, or maybe since I was a little kiddo, but for the sake of motion sickness discussion that doesn't count). I was totally fine, BUT if I felt that I had a chance to get dizzy, I looked at someone's legs in the row in front of me or at the edge of the theater screen.

I rode FOP tonight, and same deal. If I thought I might get the spins, I'd just quickly look to the motorcycle to my right or edge of the screen, which happened maybe once or twice. To my surprise I felt great after both rides (had been feeling queasy since the morning). I guess I'm not as prone to motion sickness as I thought, but I do think the quick looks to the side helped. Although maybe it's my eyes constantly roaming around the screen that helps, too.

(Also, they were both really fun -- very much enjoyed FOP! I'm glad I tried them both, but waiting in line felt like a gamble)

Some poor teen in my group got really nauseous after FOP. Legit stumbling out of the theater like he was an octopus getting his land legs in order.

Yes, meclizine before bed, it makes you a bit sleepy and lasts 24 hours. It is a generic and quite inexpensive. I always carry it.

We always use the BONINE brand. If the pharmacy doesn't have it, they can order it. It is OTC.

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682548.html

We use Bonine when diving, it's the only thing I've found that doesn't make me sleepy. We take it the night before, then the morning of. I'm going on a solo trip in Sept. and thinking of taking it my entire time I'm there and experimenting on riding rides I can't normally ride. Now if I can just get a pair of glasses for FOP that actually fit my small little head. Do they have kids glasses? I didn't think to ask last trip.

Thank you! Hard to say if I'll feel queasy on this as I can do Star Tours, but a few of the motion simulators at Universal make me feel sick.
DH will definitely need to sit this one out, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter