FOP compared to Star Tours and Soaring

I think everyone is describing it very well!...I went on twice in January, and first time felt pretty bad after-being very tired (late in the day,) scent of citronella, and not wearing my glasses were contributing factors. Second time, rode in the morning (remembered my glasses,) I did not feel unwell after.

I do think the better you feel before, the more managable it is. For reference; I dislike space mountain, but ride it with my DD, I can do RnR once in a day, I can do ToT over and over, as long as I "go with it" I am fine with Star Tours, and I find Soarin easy to ride. FOP is intense, but really special to experience.

I’ll add my two cents. I’d put it more in the ST category. I don’t get motion sickness often at all, ST can make me feel slightly off after riding, I’ve never once had an issue with Soarin. But, I felt absolutely awful after Flight of Passage. About halfway through I legit thought about trying to find a way to bail out. I don’t know what it was but something about it messed me up and I felt dizzy and nauseous for a good hour after.

My only guess is I was seated next to the wall and I think the combo of the screen moving, my seat moving, but the wall next to me being stationary threw me way off. Not a fan.

I think the trick is to focus your eyes on the screen, don't look at walls/ceilings/seats/other people. The screen needs to cover your whole vision.

I think the trick is to focus your eyes on the screen, don't look at walls/ceilings/seats/other people. The screen needs to cover your whole vision.

Yea I usually don’t have any problems but it seemed like no matter which way I looked I always had a view of something stationary in my peripheral.

It’s a wonderful ride. Truly!

BUT, if you suffer from motion sickness issues on any ride, I would never ride this unless you are willing to feel unwell for however long it normally takes you to recover. I personally can’t stand the feeling of prolonged nausea so I wouldn’t try it.

DH absolutely can’t do similator rides or dark coasters like Space or RnRC. I know he will be miserable on this so I would never recommend trying it.

A gentle reminder, please don’t force anyone (young or old) to ride this. We rode last year with a preteen who wanted NOTHING to do with it, but her parents made her anyway after the long wait. She absolutely did not enjoy it and honestly, neither did most people in the room with them.

I get pretty sick on Star Tours. I can do Soarin with no problem. FOP was closer to Soarin for me. It’s way more intense than Soarin, but it’s really smooth like Soarin. There was a small section where you go backwards for a little bit, and that made me a tiny bit sick. It was totally worth it, though, and I got over the sensation quickly. I’d say take some motion sickness meds, and give it a shot.

This ! I have horrible motion sickness ! I can't even move my head fast without feeling a bit off - I do ST for my kids, but it makes me queasy - soarin - not a problem, and same with FoP - would not miss it for the world '

For what it's worth, I tend to get motion sick on rides that spin or on some simulator rides. I cannot do Star Tours without feeling very nauseous unless I keep my eyes closed for the entire thing. I have no problem at all on Soarin'. Flight of Passage I was mostly good. The first time I rode I closed my eyes on the parts that you feel like you're doing a steep/fast dive, the following times I rode I kept my eyes open and only had a mild moment or two of nausea, not enough to be a problem.

Add me to the chorus of people who get sick on ST but not on Soarin or FoP. I agree keeping your attention on the guide in front of you helps on FoP.

I absolutely can't ride Star Tours, while Soarin' gives me a twinge of nausea/headache....I was nervous about FOP but it was well worth the time and the dose of Bonine 8-).
I used some techniques that had helped me in other situations (like picking visual points in the distance to focus on). Even though some of my brain was occupied with not getting sick, i Ioved it. I walked away feeling a little off....but a night blossom quickly fixed that. Next time I am going to try and relax and I will have some ginger with me....advice I read in another thread.

What really made the difference for me compared to other simulation rides (OMG, Universal Simpsons flashback :crazy2: ), is the motion of the vehicle truly being in sync with what you see (I guess being on an individual vehicle is a big part of it....not sure how to explain it) and the air that was blowing.

Ugh, the Simpsons ride. A few years ago I got on this and I could tell I was starting to get nausea. Luckily it was over before it got worse. We went to Universal last year and I got on again. Half way through I wanted off that ride. Started breaking out in a sweat and had to close my eyes. I came to the conclusion that US and it's numerous motion simulator rides like Transformers and Spider Man ride just aren't for me. It's just Universal rides. Star Tours, FOP, Soarin have no effect on me.

I have pretty terrible motion sickness, and used the motion sickness patch during my entire vacation. Soarin' was the least intense for me. I'm pretty sensitive to smells, too, so that was the only part that was a little difficult. The way the ride is designed meant those smells didn't linger, though.

I got a little dizzy in Star Tours, but it was manageable.

FOP was fine for me. I'm not sure if it was the way the ride was designed, because it feels like more natural movement vs Star Tours where you've got that "I'm looking at a screen and moving in a different way than I should" feeling.

I love Soarin', but I can't ride it more than 3 times in a row without feeling woozy. I cannot ride Star Tours at all any more. The first time I rode FoP, I knew nothing more than people referring to it as "Soarin' on speed". I did not watch videos, I did not read anything else about it. That was a huge mistake. I rode it first thing in the morning, and I did not feel well the entire rest of the day. It is beautiful, I'll give them that, but it was too much for me. And a lot of people say the wind and water mist in their faces helped calm them down, not me, it did the opposite. I started freaking out. I had to completely look away from the screen and try to avoid the wind/mist.
I decided our next trip to take Dramamine and suck it up, try again. Bad idea. It wasn't as bad as the first time, but I still did not feel good the entire rest of the day, couldn't even eat dinner (that's a big deal for me lol). Looking away didn't help either, I had to completely turn my neck and look behind me so I couldn't see the screen. That was cool, but you do see exactly how much you're actually moving when you do that!

Thanks I think I'll try and book fastpasses for all 4 of us. I'll play it by ear if I'm not feeling 100% ( I don't do well in the heat) I won't go. I'll let my friend who doesn't like roller coasters decide if it will be too intense for her. She was really good at researching the rides on youtube and deciding what she was comfortable with going on. She did Radior Springs Racers at DL and that was probably about as intense as she wanted to go. I'm trying to talk her into doing 7DMT but if she really doesn't want to do it I won't push her. She doesn't like roller coasters cause she was forced on them when she was little so it scared her.

Not sure it's been mentioned but they have non-drowsy Dramamine if you really didn't want to miss out on FoP, regardless of the potential for motion sickness. It's made with ginger instead of whatever other drowsy meds are used in normal Dramamine! I haven't used it yet but it's got rave reviews and plan on using it on our next trip. Just being on the airplane can get me sick so I'm looking forward to not be sick and also not be tired. :thumbsup2

Not sure it's been mentioned but they have non-drowsy Dramamine if you really didn't want to miss out on FoP, regardless of the potential for motion sickness. It's made with ginger instead of whatever other drowsy meds are used in normal Dramamine! I haven't used it yet but it's got rave reviews and plan on using it on our next trip. Just being on the airplane can get me sick so I'm looking forward to not be sick and also not be tired. :thumbsup2
I can get a little quesy in an airplane too if there is too much turbulence but I do just fine in rollercoasters as long as they don’t have video screens to look at. I do fine in a car unless I’m trying to read.

I can’t do Star Tours anymore. Soaring gives me no issues. I had to glance away from the screen in one quick part of FOP. But that was it. Also let her know that she can look at y’all anytime she gets queasy. It’s so much fun to watch the faces of your loved ones on that ride.

What is weird is that I have serious motion sickness issues plus vertigo, and my DH has never had a problem with such issues. I can ride Soarin', but I can't ride ST. In 1017, we rode FoP for the first time. I was on meclizine plus used peppermint oil extract behind my ears. I never had a problem. He just about threw up. He said never again. So in 2018, I wasn't planning on riding it because I knew he didn't want to, but I was able to get a single FP for it by refreshing the day of. I decided to ride it solo WITHOUT any meds. I never had a problem even though I was worried. I had the same experience as before. I think it helps that the screen is so large that you feel like you are a part of the action. I know it helps to have the wind blowing. I do close my eyes a couple times through it, too.

It is intense - but I think it's smoother than ST and do ya'll remember Body Wars? That made me so sick...... it was bad! I love FOP, amazing attraction.

I've imagined it being similar to Harry Potter - The Forbidden Journey at Universal (we'll be riding it for the first time soon). Can anyone comment on that, that has been on both FOP and HP?

You won't know til you try. Honestly. I can't do simulator rides, ride in an airplane or the back seat of a car, but a silly silo? NO PROBLEM! I think it has to to with why you suffer from motion sickness. For me, in a situation where my ears and eyes are not in sync with how much/how fast I am moving I am miserable. When they are, I'm good. So roller coasters (and silly silos) where my ears and eyes are both telling my brain that we're moving this much/this fast are fine. Airplanes? Nope. Back seats? Nope. Simulator rides, oh heck no. But FOP was surprising ok. I was scared I would shut down a bay due to vomit, but I was all right. Personally, I think it was the immersiveness of the experience that helped. Both my ears and eyes were tricked (or neither was). Still at the end of the 4 minute journey, I was right at the edge, and glad it didn't go on for even 30 more seconds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter