FOP compared to Star Tours and Soaring

Pamela M

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to decided if Flight of passage is something I can go on without getting sick.

So is FOP more like Star Tours or Soaring? Or is there another ride that would be similar?

I don't do Star tours anymore as it makes me really nauseous But I can do Soaring with no issues. I can do roller coasters no problem it's the watching a screen while moving that gets me.

So is FOP more like Star Tours or Soaring? Or is there another ride that would be similar?
Combination of both.

Physical motion and "swooping" of the "vehicle" on FoP is far greater than on Soarin'.
Plus, nearly total immersion in the 3D image. Much more encompassing than on Star Tours.
Addition physical effects (aromas, water spray, effects that touch/interact with the rider's body)
are more involving on FoP than on the other attractions mentioned.

Last edited:
Not sure I can give you concrete info. My wife has a tough time with FOP(but loves it) as it will make her feel sick. Soarin' is one of her favorites, and doesn't cause the same issues. Star Tours on the other hand does. So from my wife's end FOP is more like star tours.

She does feel that she knows what gets her not to feel well on FOP now, and has closed her eyes in certain parts, and that has made a big difference as to whether it makes her feel ill or not.

I would say it is more like ST than Soarin, however, it is less "jerky" in its movements. Also, if you do try it, keep your eyes on the Na'vi "guide" you will see on the screen as it provides a stable focal point.

My husband gets sick on most simulator rides, for whatever reason FoP didn't do him in...my FIL on the other hand has to take Dramamine to ride it.

I get pretty sick on Star Tours. I can do Soarin with no problem. FOP was closer to Soarin for me. It’s way more intense than Soarin, but it’s really smooth like Soarin. There was a small section where you go backwards for a little bit, and that made me a tiny bit sick. It was totally worth it, though, and I got over the sensation quickly. I’d say take some motion sickness meds, and give it a shot.

I also get motion sickness on simulator rides, like Star Tours, but not on Soarin. I took the All day-non Drowsy Dramamine when we did it just two weeks ago. There were one or two times when I thought, Uh-oh, but then the scene changes, or they spray water on your face, or the wind blows on your face and then I'd be fine. I was super nervous about it before I rode it, though. I even put a little bag in my pocket, in case I had to throw up! But I didn't need it, whew! Everyone should try it at least once. Even my 76 year old parents loved it and they are not very adventurous.

Like everyone else said, it's kind of in between. I absolutely cannot do Star Tours or most simulator rides. But I love Soarin and have no issues on it at all. I have a small bottle called Motion Eaze that I carry with me and use for FOP. It's a blend of essential oils that you put right behind your ear. I do it while we are in the pre-show and it helps with any sort of temporary motion sickness. I used to always take a Bonine on our AK day, but I've found that even though it's a "less drowsy" formula, I get awfully sleep with it! If I do start to feel a little queasy, I shut my eyes for a brief second to kind of center myself again. The rest that the Banshee takes in the middle of the right helps, along with the sprays of water and the wind.

ST was always my favourite but nowadays I tend to suffer a bit with motion sickness when riding it (in my 70's now!) so approached FOP with some trepidation - loved it! Much smoother than ST so more like Soarin' but much more adventurous. I think that the ride position "on the back of a Banshee" sort of gives you more of a feeling of control as you can move your body to co-ordinate with the motions being experienced - like riding a motorbike.

like riding a motorbike.

I was going to say, imagine being on one of those motorcycle arcade games and then being immersed in a virtual reality world. Obviously the "banshee" has more free movement than the motorcycle arcade game does.

For me, it was between the two. Soarin causes me no trouble, Star Tours makes me want to puke. I usually end up closing my eyes for a lot of the ride on Star Tours with my family, although I may skip it entirely next time. The first time we rode FOP, I was fine with just a few brief eye closings or turning to the side to see the room not moving. We ended up riding twice in a row - as in the cast member had us sit back down and ride again (first thing in the morning, maybe the ready rooms hadn't filled yet?). That second ride was a mistake on my part, but it still wasn't as bad as I feel after Star Tours and I was recovered quickly enough to enjoy EE right after.

Great thank you!! Sounds like I"ll be ok. I've noticed that as I get older motion and watching a screen gets me. For instance I'm fine on Space mountain in DL but when they do the overlay (hyperspace mountain) for star wars the screens have more movement and I walk off feeling queasy.

i would agree that it is a combination of Soarin' and ST. Closer to ST, but not the quick, jerky movements. More swooping and smooth movements.
Far more immersive than either of the other 2 rides.

Combo. I get sicker than a dog on ST (in the head); but Soarin' i have no issues on at all. With that said, 97% of FOP i can handle - there is one sequence a little more than halfway through before the slowdown part that gets me, but it's five seconds where i just close my eyes. i think you should try it.

Really in the middle. While I think everyone's first instinct is to say Star Tours because it's a much more exhilarating ride with swoops and dives, the larger surround screen and the physical sensations of the wind in your face REALLY helps counteract many of the things that cause the motion sickness on Star Tours.

The ride makes it worth it to try. It is amazing. Soarin does not bother me at all. Star Tours only bothers me if I ride it two or three times in a row. FOP did make me a little dizzy, but it was absolutely worth it. I rode it again not too long after the first time, and two was definitely my limit for the day--- but I will get on it again the next trip.

I absolutely can't ride Star Tours, while Soarin' gives me a twinge of nausea/headache....I was nervous about FOP but it was well worth the time and the dose of Bonine 8-).
I used some techniques that had helped me in other situations (like picking visual points in the distance to focus on). Even though some of my brain was occupied with not getting sick, i Ioved it. I walked away feeling a little off....but a night blossom quickly fixed that. Next time I am going to try and relax and I will have some ginger with me....advice I read in another thread.

What really made the difference for me compared to other simulation rides (OMG, Universal Simpsons flashback :crazy2: ), is the motion of the vehicle truly being in sync with what you see (I guess being on an individual vehicle is a big part of it....not sure how to explain it) and the air that was blowing.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decided if Flight of passage is something I can go on without getting sick.

I don't do Star tours anymore as it makes me really nauseous But I can do Soaring with no issues. I can do roller coasters no problem it's the watching a screen while moving that gets me.

It really helps if you just give into it and let your body move the way it would if you were really doing it. Also looking around and just feeling like it is actually happening and not getting stiff and fighting the feeling as not real. It’s hard to describe but I was nervous the first time and got a little rigid and got woozy once I got off and the second time I wasn’t nervous and just went with it and didn’t get sick at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter