FOP compared to Star Tours and Soaring

I've imagined it being similar to Harry Potter - The Forbidden Journey at Universal (we'll be riding it for the first time soon). Can anyone comment on that, that has been on both FOP and HP?
I'm prone to motion sickness and almost threw up on HP, felt sick the rest of day. FOP didn't bother me at all. Could be wrong but I think the car on HP moves a lot more in 3 dimensions than FOP.

I'm prone to motion sickness and almost threw up on HP, felt sick the rest of day. FOP didn't bother me at all. Could be wrong but I think the car on HP moves a lot more in 3 dimensions than FOP.

Thanks! That's good to know! My husband didn't love Forbidden Journey due to motion sickness so maybe he'll be ok on FOP.

I absolutely can't ride Star Tours, while Soarin' gives me a twinge of nausea/headache....I was nervous about FOP but it was well worth the time and the dose of Bonine 8-).
I used some techniques that had helped me in other situations (like picking visual points in the distance to focus on). Even though some of my brain was occupied with not getting sick, i Ioved it. I walked away feeling a little off....but a night blossom quickly fixed that. Next time I am going to try and relax and I will have some ginger with me....advice I read in another thread.

What really made the difference for me compared to other simulation rides (OMG, Universal Simpsons flashback :crazy2: ), is the motion of the vehicle truly being in sync with what you see (I guess being on an individual vehicle is a big part of it....not sure how to explain it) and the air that was blowing.

I have not been on FOP but the simpsons ride is why I am terrified of it. 2 seconds into that ride I was completely pale/green-faced and sweating. I am planning on trying FOP this year's trip with some Bonine so I am crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

FOP is very smooth, but there's a lot of movement. I've gone on it many times. Most of the rides, I was fine. But going after eating, it got my stomach. And once I was secured too tight and didn't say anything, and had trouble breathing. If that happens again, I will be sure to say something. My son had the same thing happen to him that time as well.

I love FOP, but it does make me feel dizzier than Soarin. I feel queasy on most of the walk after the ride and then I'm ok once I get some fresh air.

Soarin' doesn't bother me. Nor does FOP - though it's definitely more intense than Soarin'. But Star Tours? Oh boy. Hard pass.

FoP is a lot smoother than Star Tours so I seem to be able to ride it without issue. I always regret riding Star Tours because I feel sick for an hour after.

I have vertigo, an inner ear imbalance and just don’t do well with most motion simulator rides. The problem I have is the motion does not exactly match up with the screen. One is a second or two behind. Because I am super sensitive to motion, I notice this and it makes me feel queasy. I get a headache, sick to my stomach, dizzy, and completely lose my appetite. If I ignore this and push, I would most likely have a full blown attack which would leave me in bed, unable to turn my head without the room spinning, for days. I am very leary of motion simulator rides!

I have mild trouble (Headache, mildly dizzy) on star tours. I did not have ANY issues on FOP or soarin’.

(On the flip side, Simpson’s ride in Universal made me want to :crazy2: after 10 seconds. I did the ride with my eyes closed or staring at the wall.)

Hate to say it but FOP was the worst experience I have ever had with motion sickness. I’d have a tough time with ST but can do Soarin just fine. This was really tough to get through for me - if i could have made them stop the ride I would have! Ended up having to close my eyes just to get through it. And with the seat moving that caused motion sickness as well. Don’t want to be a downer but be aware for some folks it is more than unpleasant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!