Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

My DH is 6’6, 270 lbs, size 14 shoe and was able to ride with no problems. He has pretty large thighs and his height is all in his legs (average length torso). He’s not able to ride Space Mountain at DL (with the 2 person cars) so we were a little nervous. Hope that’s helpful for someone!

My DH is 6’6, 270 lbs, size 14 shoe and was able to ride with no problems. He has pretty large thighs and his height is all in his legs (average length torso). He’s not able to ride Space Mountain at DL (with the 2 person cars) so we were a little nervous. Hope that’s helpful for someone!

This is interesting. My DH is a little shorter but otherwise of similar size. He was not able to ride but he carries his height in his torso and not his legs.

I did DLR with my DH's family. I am by far the smallest of the extended family, and I'm not that small, but they are big. I am 5'5" 135. The smallest sister he has is 5'5" 195. And then jumps to 5'8" 220 all the way to 6'7 270. My family is rather small so i never really noticed some of the problems bigger people in general have at some of the DLR rides. My husband is 6'3" and I noticed him struggle into rides like Space Mountain, but he fit. It never occured to me, or anyone else in teh party, that his 6'7" brother wouldn't fit. Or latches on some of the shoulder restraints for some of the bigger girls.
I never mocked anyone who has had trouble with restraints, but I also just didn't realize how small some of them are. It's all about perspective.
I have trouble on BTMRR. Like I said, my husband is a taller guy,and when we sit together, there is a large amount of room between me and the lap bar. I never previously paid attention to this. But on our last trip we hit one of the parts of the track where it drops down suddenly, and i almost came out of my seat. My rear end came up to the back of the seat and DH grabbed me and had to hold on for the rest of the ride.
My SIL was behind us and screamed, thinking I was going to fly out. We have to mix up our seating on that ride or I just might disappear one ride.

Hey everyone! Me and my mom are going to DisneyWorld in a couple of weeks and she is soooo excited to ride Flight of Passage, it's all she talks about. Because she has never had an issue on any of the rides at Disney, I don't think it has even occurred to her that she might have a problem with this ride. I don't know her exact measurements, but she is 5'11'' and wears a size 22 pants and generally a 2X t-shirt. She fit on Forbidden Journey, Dueling Dragons, and Gringotts (all in modified seating) so I'm hoping she will not have too much of an issue with this ride. Can anyone with similar measurements or who knows someone with similar measurements let me know about their experience with Flight of Passage? Thank you in advance! :)

Hey everyone! Me and my mom are going to DisneyWorld in a couple of weeks and she is soooo excited to ride Flight of Passage, it's all she talks about. Because she has never had an issue on any of the rides at Disney, I don't think it has even occurred to her that she might have a problem with this ride. I don't know her exact measurements, but she is 5'11'' and wears a size 22 pants and generally a 2X t-shirt. She fit on Forbidden Journey, Dueling Dragons, and Gringotts (all in modified seating) so I'm hoping she will not have too much of an issue with this ride. Can anyone with similar measurements or who knows someone with similar measurements let me know about their experience with Flight of Passage? Thank you in advance! :)

Gringotts, even in the back row, is more lower-body-restrictive than FOP. She should be fine.

I had been obsessing about this for weeks! I fit!

I'm a size 22 (5'10") they didn't have to smush me either (I really scooted up in there) . If anyone has questions please let me know.
Hi! I am going to visit the parks in a couple of weeks with my mom. She is 5'11" and wears a size 22 from Lane Bryant. I was worried she might have issues, but your body types sound very similar. She was fine of Forbidden Journey, Dueling Dragons, and Gringotts at Universal (all in modified seating) and has absolutely no issues with any other ride at Disney. Do you think she will be okay?

I a (relatively) young and spry woman sized 22/24 5ft8. After months of obsessing over this (and other rides) for fear of being kicked off due to my size, and of obsessively checking this post for glimmers of hope that someone with my shape would confirm they were able to ride, I just wanted to put my two cents in.

Flight of Passage was my most serious concern given the discussion on the restrictive seat. I was terrified while waiting for the restraints to click in. I scooted as absolutely far forward into the bike as I could and used the handle bars to pull myself up against it tightly. I sat up as pin straight as possible and waited in fear. To my absolute shock the restraints came up and clicked on their own without any hesitation. The cast member did not come near us. I was floored. I had prepared for and expected that I’d be able to ride only if I got lucky and a cast member was able to push the restraints into a locked position.

It was so exhilarating (and relieving!) that we rode it again as soon as it was over. The second time around, I must not have scooted forward as much, because the leg restraint did not lock right away. I just moved my leg in, and it clicked on its own, no cast member needed.

I felt that there was (some) room to spare. My weight is fairly evenly distributed, probably with larger hips than anywhere. I did not find the back restraint to be an issue at all. The leg restraint is definitely the culprit for people not being able to fit.

This ride, I think, would be worse for men than women, just based on the shape of the seat. I think a larger woman would be able to squeeze herself into this ride more easily than a man slightly smaller than her.

As an aside, I did absolutely every single other thrill ride at Disney and did not find anything tight. Even the 7 Dwarves Mine Train, which I had heard concerns about, was no issue. The trick there is to only pull the lap bar down ever so slightly rather than pulling it all the way to your body. That way, your thighs are not crushed in between the u bar. Don’t pull until you hear a click, because there is none. It will lock with even the slightest pull towards you.

Every other ride, from rockin roller coaster, tower of terror, Kali, Everest, space mountain, splash mountain, big thunder, soarin, test track... all had lots of room and very large seat belts or restraints. There was no question at all of fitting on any ride. I was nervous in the first few cues, but I quickly forgot to be worried once it became clear that everything was more than roomy enough.

If you are around my size I hope you take some comfort in this post like i did in the others that I obsessively read prior to my trip. Have a magical day!

Jane
Washington

I have a friend with the same measurements, and he fit just fine. No issues at all. Just remember to sit up straight...it might sound strange, but its important for those worried they might not fit. I told a guy who was in the test seat to sit up, and he went from not fitting to fitting just fine. Weird, but it works. Also if your calves are an issue, go on your "tippy toes" (lift your heal) as they put the back part in place. This also helps.

I have a friend with the same measurements, and he fit just fine. No issues at all. Just remember to sit up straight...it might sound strange, but its important for those worried they might not fit. I told a guy who was in the test seat to sit up, and he went from not fitting to fitting just fine. Weird, but it works. Also if your calves are an issue, go on your "tippy toes" (lift your heal) as they put the back part in place. This also helps.

Thank you.

Hello, wanted to take a few minutes to register and reply to this thread. I just visited the park on 5/8/2018 and was excited to ride FoP for the first time. Getting in line we came into the attraction from the "left" side of the queue. We did not see any seats because of this... and we didn't speak to the attendant at the front. It was an 80 minute wait (which made us excited!).

When we were in line for 20 minutes, I noticed that everyone in the line had a "link pass" card in their hands. I asked to borrow it and my heart sank when I read that there were size limitations. Me? I am a big guy. I've dropped 36 pounds since mid-January, but I am still 334 lb. I stand 5' 11", have a 29" inseam and run a 44-46" waist. Shoes are 12 Wides. My calves are big, but not sure exactly how big. I carry most of my weight in my belly and chest.

Needless to say, after I read the card in line I got on the internet and began reading lots of info about plus sized riders. My heart sank. I was proud of my weight I have lost so far, but know that I have a long way to go. This was the first thread I read. After reading this and many others I was 99.999% sure I would not fit.

I read all the tips and tricks about fitting, so I thought what the heck... 80 minutes in line, at least my wife will get to ride.

To my great happiness, I FIT. I didn't even have to take off my shoes. I scooted into the chair, pulled myself completely into the seat, drew my legs up and in, and made sure I didn't squat; I pulled the small of my back as close as I could into the seat. The seat back and leg restraints closed without any issues or shoving. I was very snug in the top "seal" of the seat, but breathed and felt fine.

Those are my measurements and my experience. Hope that helps anyone else who is worried about fitting.

And the Ride? OMG, that was an amazing ride! I would probably wait 180 minutes for that.

A simple reminder to try the FOP seat in front of the ride...CM’s are happy to lend a hand. I saw a woman who ask unable to ride and was so disappointed. Her friend did ride and met up with her afterwards, but that took a lot of prompting from Thor around her, not to miss the ride
The CM gave them both a fastpass to ride the other Pandora ride, which was nice... but no comparison inthe ride dept.
she never tried the test seat, such a shame.
I believe the issue was her calf size, not the other restraint. ...
It’s a nice amazing ride.. enjoy!

Welcome to the Disboards, slpybeartx. What a wonderful post. And I'd be remiss if I didn't congratulate you on your weight loss. Woot...woot! I have not been to WDW in several years, but I am really looking forward to riding the FOP. I have a FP+ already for this June 2018.

I wanted to ask you or others some questions based on your report.

I am shorter than you, and I have a bigger waist, but I am hoping that I can use your tips and anyone else's tips to help me before I arrive to WDW.

I must say that I feel exactly like you did, and I probably won't fit on the FOP.

...My calves are big, but not sure exactly how big. I carry most of my weight in my belly and chest...
My calves, belly and chest are big, too. But you are much slimmer waist size and taller than me.

...I scooted into the chair, pulled myself completely into the seat...
I was wondering what this means since I can't visualize what the seat looks like with me in it. I am assuming that I should pull my belly, chest and knees as far forward as I can when I sit on the seat, and to sit up straight. I am assuming the front of the ride is also considered the seat.

... I drew my legs up and in, and made sure I didn't squat...
So you pull your legs or knees up as far as you can to my belly and then I can and squish them together. That sort of sounds like squatting to me. But then I don't know what it looks or feels like in person.

...I pulled the small of my back as close as I could into the seat...
So I pull my belly as far as I can so the small of my back is pushed forward as far as I can.

I guess the seat has a front part to lean my chest, belly into as far as I can while still sitting. And that I have to lift my knees up as high as I can and then push my legs together. And do I leave my feet flat?

And thank you again slpybeartx.

I know that I will try the demo seat when I get there, but I would like to be prepared like slpybeartx.

Thank you in advance. And hi, Dan. Ray :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I edited my post because I saw the photos on page one of this thread.

Pandora-Test-Seat-Collage.jpg

Test-Seat-2-600x338.jpg

images

Looking at the photos, I can't really tell how far the knees goes in.

Flight-of-Passage-Seats-1600x1200.jpg

49a2119ae7dfb747b81fd72226c2c268.jpg

Avatar-Flight-of-Passage-Seat-Explained.jpg

images
Test-Seat-fitting-600x338.jpg

Well, I found another photo. It looks like in this photo your arms fit over the top and front of the wing looking piece. I presume the chest fits against this. It looks like a sunken space below that for my belly.

It looks like a space to put your knee on top a cushion. This is when I need to raise my knees high and close together.

I found this Youtube.

Last edited:
Hello, wanted to take a few minutes to register and reply to this thread. I just visited the park on 5/8/2018 and was excited to ride FoP for the first time. Getting in line we came into the attraction from the "left" side of the queue. We did not see any seats because of this... and we didn't speak to the attendant at the front. It was an 80 minute wait (which made us excited!).

When we were in line for 20 minutes, I noticed that everyone in the line had a "link pass" card in their hands. I asked to borrow it and my heart sank when I read that there were size limitations. Me? I am a big guy. I've dropped 36 pounds since mid-January, but I am still 334 lb. I stand 5' 11", have a 29" inseam and run a 44-46" waist. Shoes are 12 Wides. My calves are big, but not sure exactly how big. I carry most of my weight in my belly and chest.

Needless to say, after I read the card in line I got on the internet and began reading lots of info about plus sized riders. My heart sank. I was proud of my weight I have lost so far, but know that I have a long way to go. This was the first thread I read. After reading this and many others I was 99.999% sure I would not fit.

I read all the tips and tricks about fitting, so I thought what the heck... 80 minutes in line, at least my wife will get to ride.

To my great happiness, I FIT. I didn't even have to take off my shoes. I scooted into the chair, pulled myself completely into the seat, drew my legs up and in, and made sure I didn't squat; I pulled the small of my back as close as I could into the seat. The seat back and leg restraints closed without any issues or shoving. I was very snug in the top "seal" of the seat, but breathed and felt fine.

Those are my measurements and my experience. Hope that helps anyone else who is worried about fitting.

And the Ride? OMG, that was an amazing ride! I would probably wait 180 minutes for that.

You just gave me some hope. We are going during Memorial Day weekend and my wife is on a mission to ride FOP twice. We are getting up at 5:30 am to do a 7 am Early Entry and have a FP for 4:30 in the afternoon. I am hopeful that I can join her as I heard the ride is amazing. I am a little bit shorter than you are with a similar weight and have also lost some as you have. Thanks for the encouraging post.

Welcome to the Disboards, slpybeartx. What a wonderful post. And I'd be remiss if I didn't congratulate you on your weight loss. Woot...woot! I have not been to WDW in several years, but I am really looking forward to riding the FOP. I have a FP+ already for this June 2018.

I wanted to ask you or others some questions based on your report...

Hello Ray, the pics do a great job showing you the seat. Let me try and answer a couple of your questions with how I boarded...

Pulling yourself into seat? Slide onto the seat first, then use the handles on the front to pull yourself INTO the seat as far as possible.
Putting your legs in? There are molded spaces that your knees "nest" into. Once you are seated pull your knees up into the molded areas.
Posture for closing the guards? Using the handles on the front of the ride, pull with your arms and try and move your "seat" as far forward into the ride seat as possible. Don't "hunch" down, sit up straight as possible. At the same time, push your knees up "into" the knee rests. I tried not to stand on my "tippy toes" as that will flex your calf muscles and make them a bit larger.

It sounds and reads more complicated than it really is. I would suggest trying the seat outside to get comfortable.

Enjoy! It's a great ride.

You just gave me some hope. We are going during Memorial Day weekend and my wife is on a mission to ride FOP twice. We are getting up at 5:30 am to do a 7 am Early Entry and have a FP for 4:30 in the afternoon. I am hopeful that I can join her as I heard the ride is amazing. I am a little bit shorter than you are with a similar weight and have also lost some as you have. Thanks for the encouraging post.

Go for it! Congrats on your journey losing some lbs... I hope you come back here after to post and I read about what a fun time you had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter