Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

I was able to ride twice today, the second time being a same-day FP that I didn't expect to get. But as I was sniffing around the app for another fourth-and-later FP in mid-afternoon, it offered me a time for FOP. Miracles never cease.

The first time I rode was this morning. I got to the tapstiles around 7:15 a.m. and general admittance began about 8:05 (9:00 official opening time, non-EMH). I walked at what you might call a "purposeful pace" and I made it to just before the bridge near Tiffins. The crowd started moving again around 8:30 and I pretty much walked on. I had Seat 1, and rather to my surprise, there was no issue at all. The restraints came up and that was it. It was a tad tight, perhaps, but nothing unusual. (I am about 5-8, 265 lbs, size 48 pants.) However, when I rode again in the evening, I got Seat 16 and that was significantly less comfortable. It wasn't clear to me that the restraints had secured fully, and sure enough I could hear the CM coming over. But that turned out to be for the guy next to me, who did successfully scoot up another inch or so. After exiting my first ride somewhere around 9:00 a.m., I saw the standby was posted at 120 minutes.

This may have already been mentioned here, but anyway, I would recommend emptying pockets completely, then sucking it up and scooting forward as far as you possibly can. I didn't try the 'shoes off' gambit as it appears they have wised up and are forbidding riders from going shoeless.

I apologize if this has been covered (I read the first 6 pages and didn't see any discussion about this yet), but what about tall, thinner people? My dh is 6'5" and wears a size 16 shoe. He's only about 200 lbs though and his calves are not particularly large. Think his foot size or leg length could cause problems?

I apologize if this has been covered (I read the first 6 pages and didn't see any discussion about this yet), but what about tall, thinner people? My dh is 6'5" and wears a size 16 shoe. He's only about 200 lbs though and his calves are not particularly large. Think his foot size or leg length could cause problems?
he should be fine. the reality is that a vast majority of people are able to ride. worst case scenario he needs to be a bit flexible in order to fit into the restraints.

I feel the need to comment. I read this thread and was pretty worried about not fitting. I am 5'7" and around 250 lbs. My weight is in my midsection. My son is 6'0'' and around 260. We went to Pandora last week. We both tried the test seat first and had no problem and we had no problem once we got in to the real seat. The ride was absolutely mind-blowing incredible. Did not feel a twinge of motion sickness like some described. So, if you are nervous due to your weight - at least give the test seat a try since it was worth the angst I felt beforehand. It was more comfortable than 7DMT which we both had to squeeze into. Hope this helps!

Just got back. I wasn't able to ride. The castmember was kind and said my legs were too "muscular".

This. I have had multiple experiences on rides at Disney where my whole party fit comfortably and were trying to ride the rides, and other guests made fun of us for daring to be multiple fat people having fun in public.

It really, really sucked. In my best friend's case, another guest absolutely ruined her first time riding Soarin' by giving her huffy, angry glares the whole ride because she dared to be a fat person on the ride (NOT encroaching on their space, mind you, just being Fat in Public.) You can't ride a Disney ride for the first time twice, so it's totally tainted it for her forever, and I hate that.

On another trip, she and I and her mom and 3-year-old-niece all rode "Livin with the Land". None of us are tiny, but the CM put us all in the front row of the boat and it caused some noticeable dipping in the front - nothing to stop the ride, but it was noticeable. The tourists behind us made nasty, rude noises and comments throughout the ride and applauded when we disembarked. It was horrible.

People can be truly awful.

Wow...I am so sorry...that is just horrible...all of it. You and your friends and family should never have had to suffer those things. I am so disappointed and sad and angry that there are people who would treat anyone this way.

And not just you...there are several people who wrote before you about how badly they've been treated. I just got to the point when I read your post that I had to stop and say something...I couldn't even finish reading the thread.

We're all in this life together...if we can't at least treat each other with kindness, empathy, and understanding, we are truly lost.

Just wanted to report back. Rode FOP for the first time in September at 307 pounds. Had gastric bypass surgery in mid-October. Rode again in mid-December at 260 pounds. And just got back from a late January trip. Rode at 235 pounds.

On the first trip, I fit two out of three ride attempts. On the second trip, I fit but still needed to change to flip flops from tennis shoes. On the most recent trip, I fit comfortably with tennis shoes on.

Related, this most recent trip was the first time I've ever ridden SDMT and not had my legs bruised and in pain. The ride is a lot more fun when you're not hurting!

I haven’t read all the replies but I’m disheartened by society where people are more worried about them closing it down to address the issue then by some people not being able to ride it because the Imagineers didn’t think it through.

Maybe they should put 2 ride vehicles in each theatre to accommodate larger guest and while their at it, 2 smaller ones for kids that do not meet the height requirement.

Update on our experience: We were nervous, but it worked!

I am 5'3" and 222 lbs with a 47" waist and 18.5" calves. Size 9 shoes. I fit easily and comfortably. DH is 5'11" and weighs 226 lbs. He fit but was less comfortable. His calves are not as big as mine at the widest point, but are more muscular overall. He wears a size 11 shoe.

It seems to be an overall body shape issue for some and not to depend upon any one measurement. It is worth trying as the ride is wonderful!

Good luck everyone!

I have been overweight most of my life. I'm 6'1" and my Heaviest was 269, wore XXL shirts with a 42" waist. I have never encountered anyone being rude or commenting on my weight. In January 2016 I had chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack. After spending 2 days in the hospital I was released with a clean bill of health. Ended up being a pulled muscle but being 50 and over weight I guess I panicked and worried myself to the hospital. The doctor told me I had to lose weight but told me not to go on a diet. He simply gave me a list based on what I told them I eat. The list was 10 things I wasn't allowed to eat until I lost 50 lbs. After that I was allowed to eat what I wanted on Sunday only. He called it reward day. I have maintained 205 for almost 2 years with a 36" waist and wear a large shirt now. The best part is I got to the point where I am able to jump on the trampoline and swing on the swing set with my daughters. Our 2 last Disney trips have been the best because I didn't have to worry about fitting on rides. I did gain 10 lbs last month on our 12 day vacation. I ate a lot! but just by going back to my good habits, I have already lost 6 lbs of that gained weight. We just got back 4 weeks ago and rode FOP no problem. I did see 2 people having a hard time getting the restraints to lock. Now I am by no means downing any person that is overweight. It has been my life for most of my life. I have always avoided going swimming but this year I actually took off my shirt and got in the pool at the Contemporary with my 2 girls. It was the most memorable part of our vacation. Disney builds rides for the majority of people, not all people. We all make choices and anyone can lose weight if they want to. Blaming Disney may not be the answer.

So happy for you - and as you say, it's 'not' a diet, but eating as a way of life. That's what I do - mostly eat only 'half' of what I could really enjoy, but health is much more important to me.
Not a easy road to travel, but sooo worth it.

So happy for you - and as you say, it's 'not' a diet, but eating as a way of life. That's what I do - mostly eat only 'half' of what I could really enjoy, but health is much more important to me.
Not a easy road to travel, but sooo worth it.
I am still struggling with my weight and probably will for the rest of my life. As I said, I put some weight back on while on vacation ..(I refuse to diet while on vacation) .. and took 6 lbs right back off put some back on over the holidays. Holding steady at 215. This may be my ideal weight or I may need to jump start my metabolism. Either way, it's still better than where I started. I just started back with interval training so the weight should come off easy over the next few months but I still have to tell myself " I do NOT need that cookie!" lol

I forgot about this thread ... lol. Meant to post after last trip. Anyway, I rode in late November for the first time. I was very worried about fitting (like probably anyone on this thread). I'm a little over 6'3", and probably 300-305. I'm probably as big around the midsection as I've ever been - probably 48". I blew right by the test chair and just decided to wing it. The ride vehicle was definitely not comfortable, and I was probably pushing the maximum size it could accommodate. Long story short, I fit ... but it was tight. I didn't need a cast member to push or anything, but I could tell from where the leg restraints were that it was a close thing. The problem, surprisingly, wasn't in my thickness, but in my height - I have very long legs and my legs didn't bend at the right point for the calf restraints. I'm in the process of dropping some weight before our summer trip, when I hope to ride it again. That will really help, as without a doubt I'll be a little more flexible to change the angle my legs fold.

Overall, the ride design is a little questionable to me. The ride itself is great, and I see the need for a bit of restraint to keep people from becoming disoriented and accidentally dismounting, but I'm not sure what the leg restraints add thus raising panels up along each side of the calf wouldn't do. I guess I have to trust the engineers, but it seems unnecessarily restrictive. Still though, all in all the ride was more comfortable for me than trying to squeeze onto 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain or Splash Mountain - all of those are worse for me than this was.

Just returned from WDW and wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences on FOP. I followed this thread leading up to our trip and was fairly certain we would fit based on everyone else's experiences. Wanted to report back in case others come along that are also worried about fitting.

We rode 3 times over the week and I fit with no issues whatsoever. I'm 5'4" and about 260. I was able to scoot all the way forward on the seat and fit comfortably with no pushing from the CMs.

There was one time when we rode after getting caught in a torrential downpour. My pants (well, whole body really) were soaked. It made it harder to scoot on the seat. My wet clothes were sticking to the vehicle. So if you're worried about fitting don't try it after getting drenched.

Also, for any large chested ladies - the ride hits lower than chest level so "the girls" are not a concern. I'm fairly short at 5'4" and very large chested and still the seat hit me squarely around the abdomen and my chest was not an issue at all. Sorry if that's TMI but I was legitimately concerned about it and thought others might be too.

It’s me, the OP of this thread. Wow, I can’t believe it’s still going.

I just wanted to come back & report that my BF can now ride FoP without a problem. He swears by changing out of his cargo shorts into gym shorts, and changing from his sneakers to flip flops. I don’t know why this works but it does, and he hasn’t had the CM have to try to fit him in, either.

Just returned from WDW and wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences on FOP. I followed this thread leading up to our trip and was fairly certain we would fit based on everyone else's experiences. Wanted to report back in case others come along that are also worried about fitting.

We rode 3 times over the week and I fit with no issues whatsoever. I'm 5'4" and about 260. I was able to scoot all the way forward on the seat and fit comfortably with no pushing from the CMs.

There was one time when we rode after getting caught in a torrential downpour. My pants (well, whole body really) were soaked. It made it harder to scoot on the seat. My wet clothes were sticking to the vehicle. So if you're worried about fitting don't try it after getting drenched.

Also, for any large chested ladies - the ride hits lower than chest level so "the girls" are not a concern. I'm fairly short at 5'4" and very large chested and still the seat hit me squarely around the abdomen and my chest was not an issue at all. Sorry if that's TMI but I was legitimately concerned about it and thought others might be too.

Thanks for the report! The girls are always a real concern in restraints. Glad to hear they are not an issue here.

I haven’t read all the replies but I’m disheartened by society where people are more worried about them closing it down to address the issue then by some people not being able to ride it because the Imagineers didn’t think it through.

I think the Imagineers did think it through - they can't possibly build every attraction to fit every single person on this planet. If it gets closed down during your one trip to WDW, so you can't ride this attraction, how would you feel?

Overall, the ride design is a little questionable to me. The ride itself is great, and I see the need for a bit of restraint to keep people from becoming disoriented and accidentally dismounting, but I'm not sure what the leg restraints add thus raising panels up along each side of the calf wouldn't do. I guess I have to trust the engineers, but it seems unnecessarily restrictive. Still though, all in all the ride was more comfortable for me than trying to squeeze onto 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain or Splash Mountain - all of those are worse for me than this was.

Some of what people are thinking of as restraints are actually part of the ride enhancement.

My DH is 6'5, too, and has a size 15. It was the feet that made him not be able to ride...he couldn't get them in there enough to get the legs in enough to be strapped in :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter