First MNSSHP - Oversold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've successfully done that with normal days. People think it's wonderful they can get 3 rides with short waits, even if all the other rides will have long waits.

9 experiences a day was the standard expected for decades. You could get 5-6 Fastpasses not long ago.

Now, you need to stay on property for a week, get your FP+s 2 months in advance, and think it's great that 1 or 2 of your rides is on an actual good one.

It also wasn't long ago that you could basically sit on Big Thunder the last couple of hours of a Party.
If you aren't getting double 5-6 FPs each day (so 10-12), you aren't doing it right.

So I just returned from WDW and we attended Friday night's party. I hadn't been in 3 years and never on opening night and I couldn't believe how crowded it was compared to the 2xs prior I had attended. The lines for candy were crazy that we didn't even stop. Now I just listened to yesterday's Dis Daily Fix and I hear it was oversold. Is this true? If so, that is a huge disappointment. We ended up leaving right after the first parade because it was just too crowded.

They have been doing this with the MVMCP as well. We waited years to go and then finally went in 2017, NEVER AGAIN!! It was ridiculously crowded and not sold out. They must wait until they are at regular capacity before they declare the parties sell outs anymore. I had asked about the MNSSHP as well (if it is as crazy busy) and was told it wasn't because we thought about trying it, NOPE not after your post. Not worth the xtra for us. It's ridiculous that in order to see particular characters that are only at the party that you have to start lining up at 4:00 and still wait 3 hrs, got to be kidding...just don't see the "magic" in that!

There's a lot of pent-up demand exploding right now - people who have put off pricey vacations for years or are just feeling a little more confident in splurging right now, plus the fact that wdw actually has new stuff to see in the past year for the first time in geez...how long? Plus, of course, WDW has definitely increased party capacity to sell more tics.

But the economy will nosedive again. (NOT that I'm wishing for that, of course! :sad2:) But inevitably, a crash will come - and there's nothing that drops attendance back to reasonable levels like a deep recession and families tightening their belts.

Sadly, the most enjoyable travel experiences are always during times when most people can't afford it. Deals are great, crowds are lower and hotels, restaurants and theme parks roll out the red carpet and eagerly appreciate their guests again.

Waits of 2+ hours for the premium experiences people are paying for aren't worth the premium price. We would love to meet Jack and Sally, but there's no way I'm waiting 2 hours, nor am I going to get on line an hour or 2 before the party starts to be at the front of the line when they come out to meet, because it's still 2 hours of waiting. Last year we spent a good 40 minutes waiting to buy an Oogey Boogey popcorn bucket, and I was annoyed at that. There was a 2 per person limit, and someone in front of us was with a group of 4 or 5 and they were all buying 2 each. I was going to lose it if we didn't get the ONE that we wanted for ourselves.

These kind of wait times during a hard-ticket event is too much. When you're paying extra on top of the thousands of dollars you are already paying, i don't think it's unreasonable to not have to stand in line 40 minutes for a popcorn bucket or 2+ hours to meet Jack and Sally.

These kind of wait times during a hard-ticket event is too much. When you're paying extra on top of the thousands of dollars you are already paying, i don't think it's unreasonable to not have to stand in line 40 minutes for a popcorn bucket or 2+ hours to meet Jack and Sally.

I went to the 8/17 party. For me, it wasn't paying "extra"; I was paying to go to the Magic Kingdom. I was visiting relatives a couple of hours away and wanted to visit the Magic Kingdom for the day and spend the night at a Disney resort. Much to my surprise, a party, the first party, was going to be going on 8/17. Perfect, I thought. I'll attend the party and forego a day ticket. I won't have to leave home at the crack of dawn to get there, I'll still have 8 hours in the park, the ticket to the party is cheaper than a day pass, it'll be (hopefully) not as hot at night and the most obvious...yayy it's MNSSHP!!

I bought my ticket and booked a room for the night. I have been to MVMCP many times but have never been to MNSSHP. I read up on it. I read the boards here. I knew it was going to be crowded because it was the first party and well, because it's Disney. I felt prepared. I haven't been to Disney World in many years and was very excited. My main goal was rides, parade and fireworks. I had no desire to TOT or meet any characters. Honestly my main goal was to soak it all in because hell, I was in the Magic Kingdom.

I made my three fast passes, made an itinerary on TP, read as much I could and dreamed of riding Splash Mountain once again. I was ready.

I had THE best time. Call me crazy, but I didn't experience the insane crowds everyone is referencing. TP was amazing and I followed my plan exactly and got 10 rides in before 7:00. The only lines I encountered was the time it took to get through the queue. I then shopped a little and ate dinner at Pecos Bills. Pecos Bills was busy, but not crazy by any means - maybe 3 people in front of me and I easily found a table. I then grabbed a dole whip (with no wait) and found a front row spot to the 1st parade in Frontierland 25 mins before the parade started. At the end of the parade I rode one more ride then made my way to the hub, arriving about 15 mins before the fireworks. It was congested walking to the hub, but imo not too terrible. I was able to find a great spot and sit and wait for the show, with my legs stretched out, with nobody right next to me and it remained that way throughout the show. My view was amazing. After the fireworks I made my way to main street to shop. I hit the bakery on my way out to get the specialty cupcake (which was gross - 1/4 cake and 3/4 icing) - with only two people in front of me. I made my way out of the park and headed to my bus stop. It was 11:35. The bus was there waiting and once I boarded we waited another 5 minutes for other guests to show up and then were on our way. I was back at my resort 20 minutes after I left the park.

Everything went exactly as I had planned it. It was an amazing night and it was way more than I had imagined it would be. Granted I didn't do all the Halloween stuff, but I did what I wanted to do. I don't look at is as an "extra" ticket. If you don't go to the park that day, the party is your park day (night.) It's not extra - it's just got some extra stuff to do if you choose to do it. (Well, it's extra if you have an AP :)) Go with an open mind and a plan. Enjoy the decorations, the costumes and the music and have a blast!

Last edited:
I went to the 8/17 party. For me, it wasn't paying "extra"; I was paying to go to the Magic Kingdom. I was visiting relatives a couple of hours away and wanted to visit the Magic Kingdom for the day and spend the night at a Disney resort. Much to my surprise, a party, the first party, ,was going to be going on 8/17. Perfect, I thought. I'll attend the party and forego a day ticket. I won't have to leave home at the crack of dawn to get there, I'll still have 8 hours in the park, the ticket to the party is cheaper than a day pass, it'll be (hopefully) not as hot at night and the most obvious...yayy it's MNSSHP!!

I bought my ticket and booked a room for the night. I have been to MVMCP many times but have never been to MNSSHP. I read up on it. I read the boards here. I knew it was going to be crowded because it was the first party and well, because it's Disney. I felt prepared. I haven't been to Disney World in many years and was very excited. My main goal was rides, parade and fireworks. I had no desire to TOT or meet any characters. Honestly my main goal was to soak it all in because hell, I was in the Magic Kingdom.

I made my three fast passes, made an itinerary on TP, read as much I could and dreamed of riding Splash Mountain once again. I was ready.

I had THE best time. Call me crazy, but I didn't experience the crazy crowds everyone is referencing. TP was amazing and I followed my plan exactly and got 10 rides in before 7:00. I then shopped a little and ate dinner at Pecos Bills. Pecos Bills was busy, but not crazy by any means - maybe 3 people in front of me. I grabbed a dole whip an then was able to get a front row spot to the 1st parade in Frontierland 25 mins before the parade started. At the end of the parade I rode a couple more rides then made my way to the hub, arriving about 15 mins before the fireworks. I was able to sit and wait for the show, with my legs stretched out, with nobody right next to me and remained that way throughout the show. My view was amazing. After the fireworks I made my way to main street to shop. I hit the bakery on my way out to get the specialty cupcake - two people in front of me. I made my way out of the park and headed to my bus stop. It was 11:35. The bus was there waiting and once I boarded we waited another 5 minutes for other guests to shop up and we were on our way. I was back at my resort 20 minutes after I left the park.

Everything went exactly as I had planned it.
As I stated earlier, here’s an example of different goals. It seems your main goal was rides, so yes, lines were lighter and you were successful. For those of us that have APs, and paid extra to do Party stuff, the experience was much different. We ended up doing rides because the party stuff was just too crazy. But for us, that was a waste of money. We could have easily gone to another park that night for free with our AP if rides were our goal.

As I stated earlier, here’s an example of different goals. It seems your main goal was rides, so yes, lines were lighter and you were successful. For those of us that have APs, and paid extra to do Party stuff, the experience was much different. We ended up doing rides because the party stuff was just too crazy. But for us, that was a waste of money. We could have easily gone to another park that night for free with our AP if rides were our goal.

Yes I was successful. Very. And I did say it was different if you had an AP - that it would be an extra ticket. Just letting folks know the other side of the coin. Not everyone is going to be miserable and that, depending on your goal, it isn't a waste of money for everyone.

I went to the 8/17 party. For me, it wasn't paying "extra"; I was paying to go to the Magic Kingdom. I was visiting relatives a couple of hours away and wanted to visit the Magic Kingdom for the day and spend the night at a Disney resort. Much to my surprise, a party, the first party, was going to be going on 8/17. Perfect, I thought. I'll attend the party and forego a day ticket. I won't have to leave home at the crack of dawn to get there, I'll still have 8 hours in the park, the ticket to the party is cheaper than a day pass, it'll be (hopefully) not as hot at night and the most obvious...yayy it's MNSSHP!!

I had THE best time. Call me crazy, but I didn't experience the insane crowds everyone is referencing. TP was amazing and I followed my plan exactly and got 10 rides in before 7:00. The only lines I encountered was the time it took to get through the queue. I then shopped a little and ate dinner at Pecos Bills. Pecos Bills was busy, but not crazy by any means - maybe 3 people in front of me and I easily found a table. I then grabbed a dole whip (with no wait) and found a front row spot to the 1st parade in Frontierland 25 mins before the parade started. At the end of the parade I rode one more ride then made my way to the hub, arriving about 15 mins before the fireworks. It was congested walking to the hub, but imo not too terrible. I was able to find a great spot and sit and wait for the show, with my legs stretched out, with nobody right next to me and it remained that way throughout the show. My view was amazing. After the fireworks I made my way to main street to shop. I hit the bakery on my way out to get the specialty cupcake (which was gross - 1/4 cake and 3/4 icing) - with only two people in front of me. I made my way out of the park and headed to my bus stop. It was 11:35. The bus was there waiting and once I boarded we waited another 5 minutes for other guests to show up and then were on our way. I was back at my resort 20 minutes after I left the park.

Everything went exactly as I had planned it. It was an amazing night and it was way more than I had imagined it would be. Graght.) It's not extra - it's just got some extra stuff to do if you choose to do it. (Well, it's extra if you have an AP :)) Go with an open mind and a planted I didn't do all the Halloween stuff, but I did what I wanted to do. I don't look at is as an "extra" ticket. If you don't go to the park that day, the party is your park day (nin. Enjoy the decorations, the costumes and the music and have a blast!

Well that's good to know if you don't plan on doing the Halloween stuff during MNSSHP you'll have a good time.

Well that's good to know if you don't plan on doing the Halloween stuff during MNSSHP you'll have a good time.

While I do appreciate your sarcasm, I wouldn't go quite that far. Last I time I checked, the parade and the fireworks were part of the party. Rides are part of the party - including the three with the with the Halloween special effects - all of which I did. Easily. I shopped for exclusive Halloween merch with no problem ---> part of the party. I picked up my sorcerer's card on the way out with no wait...part of the party. As for trick or treating? No thank you. Even if that were offered every day, in every park, year round - I would not waste my time waiting in line for ordinary candy that can be found anywhere. Party or no party.

I've been an AP holder myself. I've attended MVMCP many times as an AP holder and always had a blast and never felt I wasted my money. Not sure why I'm having to defend myself or my experience. You do what makes you happy. I can appreciate that if your goal was to TOT and do character meet and greets than your experience was different. I was just sharing my experience. To each their own. I am not going to apologize for having a fabulous time.

Last edited:
I know I have read estimates of the amount of tickets being sold has increased from around 15,000 years ago to around 35,000 now.
I know when we went to the Christmas party in 2012 it was not crowded at all It was a Nov 30 party if I remember correctly
I do think Disney feels they can keep raising the amount of “limited” tickets and people will just attend more than one party in order to do all they wish to accomplish during the events
I am really hopeing I am not disappointed when we go or it will be our first and last party
We also are not going for the rides, characters, or candy our main goals are the HP castle show, the parade and fireworks only

I thought Disney didn't release those sorts of numbers. Is it someone's guess, or someone who actually has inside knowledge? Disney won't even tell us how many people a park holds, so I'm doubting they will state how many tickets they sell. I will say I don't know if at first they kept the parties more exclusive and now they don't. And is Disney selling more tickets due to demand, or is it that more people are feeling flush enough to buy them?

No idea if the PP's numbers are right, but they seem pretty believable to me.

I thought Disney didn't release those sorts of numbers. Is it someone's guess, or someone who actually has inside knowledge? Disney won't even tell us how many people a park holds, so I'm doubting they will state how many tickets they sell. I will say I don't know if at first they kept the parties more exclusive and now they don't. And is Disney selling more tickets due to demand, or is it that more people are feeling flush enough to buy them?

Note I said I read estimates of the party number of guests, true no one knows since Disney does not release the numbers to the public, which I think they should at least when they say “limited” number of tickets will be sold for an event.
I believe they raise the number of tickets sold just the same as the prices like any other business because they can.
I also believe we will see this continue as long as people are willing to go to 2 or more parties because of the parties being busier, they do so to be able to do all the want to accomplish at said events

Note I said I read estimates of the party number of guests, true no one knows since Disney does not release the numbers to the public, which I think they should at least when they say “limited” number of tickets will be sold for an event.
I believe they raise the number of tickets sold just the same as the prices like any other business because they can.
I also believe we will see this continue as long as people are willing to go to 2 or more parties because of the parties being busier, they do so to be able to do all the want to accomplish at said events
I have always assumed they don't say how many they sell so they can increase it without blowback.

While I do appreciate your sarcasm, I wouldn't go quite that far. Last I time I checked, the parade and the fireworks were part of the party. Rides are part of the party - including the three with the with the Halloween special effects - all of which I did. Easily. I shopped for exclusive Halloween merch with no problem ---> part of the party. I picked up my sorcerer's card on the way out with no wait...part of the party. As for trick or treating? No thank you. Even if that were offered every day, in every park, year round - I would not waste my time waiting in line for ordinary candy that can be found anywhere. Party or no party.

I've been an AP holder myself. I've attended MVMCP many times as an AP holder and always had a blast and never felt I wasted my money. Not sure why I'm having to defend myself or my experience. You do what makes you happy. I can appreciate that if your goal was to TOT and do character meet and greets than your experience was different. I was just sharing my experience. To each their own. I am not going to apologize for having a fabulous time.

Thanks not only for a terrific review, but also keeping your posts on the non aggressive side as well.

It's possible that some people's heated replies are partially due to the frustration that they experienced with these parties. But you know, even on these hot topic threads, people can learn some serious stuff. Here is my take away.

1. Your party make up can seriously impact how you feel about these parties. People with small kids may not enjoy them as much, because the things little kids will want to do is collect candy for sure, meet characters, and see parade/ fireworks. Ap users who are there for the special stuff are feeling completely ripped off. People who want to use this as a ride opportunity can do VERY well with this party.

2. Sunday may be better than Tuesday's for best party dates. This makes complete sense to me, but won't bore you with the reasons I believe it to be very accurate.

3. Using a party ticket for your MK day, if you you have to buy park tickets may actually be cost effective if you are only there for one or two days with the added bonus you can still get in early to the park with your party ticket, and still book 3 FP+ ( is this correct???) and have less wait time on standby rides. Sweet!

4. I had another good point, but am now having a senior moment and can't remember. I am going to post this and then come back and edit if my brain kicks back in again. Perhaps some coffee will help

What I do know is that everyone's experiences and perceptions are valid, and it's always useful to see them written about here on the dis. What is important to keep in mind is what the party group make up is, what we're thier priorties, and then what were their experiences. Then you can figure out if this is going to work out for YOU and YOUR group or not.

Less for More!!!...this is why I stopped going to WDW over 3 years ago. I prefer to remember it as the special place that it was once was , rather than the money grubbing Operation it is today. Im all for making a profit, but there is a limit between profit and taking advantage (a line they crossed a long time ago) I will take trips to DL from time to time... because for me, it still retains much of that Original feeling...I hope that wont change

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter