First MNSSHP - Oversold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of 2 hour character waits...

Would it really hurt WDW that badly to put the popular greets in the Mickey/Tink hall and have 2 or 3 of each so the waits can be cut at least in half? What's the downside? The cost would be minimal. $1k for a costume? $9/hr for the CM x's 20 CM's (to include all ancillary staff needs for the extra characters). So like $5k per night in extra cost for WDW (very quick estimation), but more acceptable waits for your customers, who are paying 100% more than they were 10 years ago.....Again, why don't they do this? I have my theory, but it's laced with cynicism...

Not everyone going is an experienced Disney commando. I also recognize that experiences differ from one party to the next, from one year to the next. Me? I've been going since 1984, have seen it all a bazillion times, and know the parks like the back of my hand. *But*, everyone is not me, and every party is different. If Disney is selling you an expensive ticket to parades, shows, character meets, etc, *any* paying guest should be able to show up on *any* party night with the reasonable expectation that they will be able to do what is advertised without having to repel down the side of Cinderella's Castle.

But where do they advertise that you can do everything with no waits? I've never seen that advertised anywhere.

And I'm not a commando. I don't mind waiting in lines and I've never felt like I had to do everything, even when I didn't know I was going to be back.

We're clearly never going to agree though. :D

But where do they advertise that you can do everything with no waits? I've never seen that advertised anywhere.

You also have not seen it suggested anywhere here.

People are waiting over 2 hours -to meet a character. That's a problem. Others who paid the high premium in order for their kids to enjoy found that impossible in some cases, due to parade crowds lining the street 5-deep. That's a problem. If you're marketing a hard ticket event with a price tag centered on character experiences, shows, and a parade, these should be accessible without having to sell your firstborn. This isn't about an empty park, at all.

And others at the same parties have reported very different things if you're willing to rearrange the schedule or catch the parade from Frontierland or anywhere not on Main Street. Flexibility is really the key to making things enjoyable - even if you have a zillion MUST DOs. (I've also heard a few podcasts - even one with parents - who advocate splitting up to get things done if one kid wants to meet Character X and another wants to go on Ride Y and there "is only time for one". If you send Mom with one kid and Dad with the other, bingo, you've gotten both things done with those who want them. If both kids want both, they might have to make a choice. And... "Life's full of tough choices, isn't it?")

Even as a solo adult, I have to make choices about things to do or not - even on a regular day and NOT at a party. And I don't have the ability to "divide and conquer" - so I'll end up in a longer line to meet Moana because I don't have someone to hold my place while I run and get my wristband.
We lined up for the parade 25 minutes early IN FRONTIERLAND and it was already hard to find a spot. We ended up sitting behind another family who when the parade started, made room for my toddler on the curb so he could see better. People that came 5 minutes after us were 4-5 people deep. We left after the parade and saw the crowds on Main Street which were much worse. But even frontierland was not a clear spot 25 minutes before first parade.

My family and I were at the 1st party and I didn't find it as crowded as others are stating. The longest line we waited in was an hour for Lotso. My family did SM with 15 minute wait. HM was about 15 minutes too. We didn't do the 1st parade purposely because I knew it would be crowded. We waited til the 2nd and walked right up to the beginning of the parade in Frontierland about 10 minutes before it started with a great view of it all. We watched the fireworks from behind the castle and had no one around us. We walked right on to Pirates around 10:40 or so. I saw Moana at 11:30 and waited only 20 minutes. Didn't have waits for trick or treating either. Walked up and got loads of candy. I guess I must have hit it right all night.

So Disney creates a meet and greet party that for $175 (not including party entry) you can see the characters.

So for anyone who has experienced the excessive crowds at any of the recent parties, I encourage you to write to Disney and Express your disappointment. I did and finally got to speak to someone today. I did not ask or receive compensation, but I did get to express my concern that the parties Have become too crowded to enjoy the party activities and I do feel like at least I was heard. I also suggested bringing in fans into the Disney jR Dance Party tent which should be an easy fix. Will anything change? I do not know, but I know unless people speak up, nothing will. Maybe if enough people express their feelings, they will reconsider capacity or add in more party stuff to better absorb the crowd.

:thumbsup2 I’m pleased you felt like you were heard. I agree with you, if no one speaks up, nothing will change.

I can tell a few posters feel that threads like this are negative, but I genuinely believe that feedback (both good and bad) given in a calm, considered way is a positive thing. It gives businesses the feedback they need to provide improved services, but it also helps customers like myself make informed decisions on how best to spend their money and time.

I always read good and bad reviews before deciding on travel options and can quite honestly say that my travels are enriched as a result. While there will always be those reviews that are overly picky and need to be taken with a grain of salt, it’s generally the negative feedback that ensures I go into experiences with realistic expectations and less chance of disappointment or getting caught up in a dangerous situation.

I’ve continued reading this thread with interest, because to be honest, I do feel a bit sad that I’ve decided against going to the Xmas party this year. If it turned out even half as enjoyable as the MNSSHP we did 5 years ago, it would be worth it. However, to truely enjoy the party I think we would need a shift in priority (rides rather than Xmas) and I’m not sure if that makes it worth the extra ticket.

Continued food for thought.
Here’s hoping Disney is listening.

Above post says it well. Companies should not be afraid of feedback good or bad. As most in this thread have been extremely civil in its criticism there’s no need for those to come in and rebel against it.

Perception is reality and if for a few individuals the party is overcrowded than it is to them. Doesn’t stop others from having a great time, but doesn’t make the criticism any less valid.

I think I have made a decision. Now first of all, let me say this. We attended MVMCP on Dec 1st 2016. It was crowded but very manageable and we had a great time with all the festivities, ate some good treats and rode a lot of rides with minimal waits. 2017 we did MNSSHP on Sept. 12th. No one was there. At all. Really short lines for meet and greets, walked up to parade at the hub right before it started, got our pic with the Boo To You sigh, got lots of candy and rode everything many many times. My wife and little one went back to the Contemporary around 10ish and me and my then 6 year old rode Space 16 times. Yep 16 times. They let us just go around the wall at the exit and right back on so we didn't need to exit the long way. But, that was when Irma hit so it was a fluke. We did the party again on the 17th and even though it was a Sunday, it was so crazy busy we left really early. So back to my decision. I was on the verge of just cancelling the party after reading all the complaints about the first few but after a family talk and looking at our itinerary we decided to keep the party but walk back to the resort around 5:00. Take an hour or so to recharge and grab a bite to eat at the CL lounge then head back to MK (arrive around 8:00) that way we can stay for the second parade and hopefully ride what we want later in the night. Hopefully this plan works. If not it will be a very expensive lesson learned.

(Edited the dates. I'm not all here sometimes)

Last edited:
We did the party again on the 10th and even though it was a Sunday, it was so crazy busy we left really early.
The parks were closed the 10th and the 11th of September last year (2017) so yeah no MNSSHP.

Do you mean you went Sunday the 17th of September 2017? If so I could totally believe it was busy. There were at least some people who had moved their trips due to Irma. On Monday the 18th when we left Orlando we went monorail resort hopping in the morning and the people were def. increased in crowds at the TTC and MDE reflected there were more people there inside the parks (45min waits for things that had been walk ons previously). We were at Universal Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th so I couldn't tell you what the actual crowds for WDW was those days.

The parks were closed the 10th and the 11th of September last year (2017) so yeah no MNSSHP.

Do you mean you went Sunday the 17th of September 2017? If so I could totally believe it was busy. There were at least some people who had moved their trips due to Irma. On Monday the 18th when we left Orlando we went monorail resort hopping in the morning and the people were def. increased in crowds at the TTC and MDE reflected there were more people there inside the parks (45min waits for things that had been walk ons previously). We were at Universal Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th so I couldn't tell you what the actual crowds for WDW was those days.
yeah .... I got my dates totally screwed up. Our first party was on the 12th. second was on the 17th. I just scrolled back the calendar and posted the wrong dates. We weren't even there yet on the 5th lol

Picture time :)

MK_TOMRLD1_20170913_40482704399311.jpg

MK_MSFIRSTA_20170913_404826440340 - Copy.jpg
MK_MSFIRSTA_20170913_404826508163 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I think I have made a decision. Now first of all, let me say this. We attended MVMCP on Dec 1st 2016. It was crowded but very manageable and we had a great time with all the festivities, ate some good treats and rode a lot of rides with minimal waits. 2017 we did MNSSHP on Sept. 12th. No one was there. At all. Really short lines for meet and greets, walked up to parade at the hub right before it started, got our pic with the Boo To You sigh, got lots of candy and rode everything many many times. My wife and little one went back to the Contemporary around 10ish and me and my then 6 year old rode Space 16 times. Yep 16 times. They let us just go around the wall at the exit and right back on so we didn't need to exit the long way. But, that was when Irma hit so it was a fluke. We did the party again on the 17th and even though it was a Sunday, it was so crazy busy we left really early. So back to my decision. I was on the verge of just cancelling the party after reading all the complaints about the first few but after a family talk and looking at our itinerary we decided to keep the party but walk back to the resort around 5:00. Take an hour or so to recharge and grab a bite to eat at the CL lounge then head back to MK (arrive around 8:00) that way we can stay for the second parade and hopefully ride what we want later in the night. Hopefully this plan works. If not it will be a very expensive lesson learned.

(Edited the dates. I'm not all here sometimes)
I was at the party last year on September 5th and you're so right - that party was a ghost town. It was kind of awesome, except for the fact that Irma was bearing down on us! But that week was pretty amazing crowd-wise.

We lined up for the parade 25 minutes early IN FRONTIERLAND and it was already hard to find a spot.

We waited til the 2nd and walked right up to the beginning of the parade in Frontierland about 10 minutes before it started with a great view of it all.

A great example of how two people can see the same thing in two totally different ways (granted, one could have been at the first party and the other the second, but people are complaining about crowds at both).

And now we have some unofficial numbers. Former capacity was about 20k-22k, now they are selling over 30k! I trust Pete’s sources.

That was an interesting episode.

I can only hope that Disney don’t wait until next year to start to listening and reacting to feedback, but rather start now.
Surely it’s not in their interest to have a whole season of Halloween and Xmas parties where people are disappointed like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter