First MNSSHP - Oversold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m starting to remember why I don’t visit these boards as often as I used to...
I came here because in just 3 short weeks I'll be going to Walt Disney World. It is a very happy thought, but now I wonder if it is a good idea. I am obviously going to have a horrible time there. I know because I read it here on this board. The whole trip is going to miserable, and maybe I should just cancel the thing now and save myself some money.

If you are so miserable and so hate Disney, why are you here? No, that is a serious question.

It is what it is and complaining here isn't going to change anything.

Thanks not only for a terrific review, but also keeping your posts on the non aggressive side as well.

It's possible that some people's heated replies are partially due to the frustration that they experienced with these parties. But you know, even on these hot topic threads, people can learn some serious stuff. Here is my take away.

1. Your party make up can seriously impact how you feel about these parties. People with small kids may not enjoy them as much, because the things little kids will want to do is collect candy for sure, meet characters, and see parade/ fireworks. Ap users who are there for the special stuff are feeling completely ripped off. People who want to use this as a ride opportunity can do VERY well with this party.

2. Sunday may be better than Tuesday's for best party dates. This makes complete sense to me, but won't bore you with the reasons I believe it to be very accurate.

3. Using a party ticket for your MK day, if you you have to buy park tickets may actually be cost effective if you are only there for one or two days with the added bonus you can still get in early to the park with your party ticket, and still book 3 FP+ ( is this correct???) and have less wait time on standby rides. Sweet!

4. I had another good point, but am now having a senior moment and can't remember. I am going to post this and then come back and edit if my brain kicks back in again. Perhaps some coffee will help

What I do know is that everyone's experiences and perceptions are valid, and it's always useful to see them written about here on the dis. What is important to keep in mind is what the party group make up is, what we're thier priorties, and then what were their experiences. Then you can figure out if this is going to work out for YOU and YOUR group or not.
I think you summed it up perfectly!

we went to the first party this year. It has been 6 years since our last MNSSHP. It was our 4th MNSSHP.
We got into line to meet Pooh and friends after 7 pm and waited 90 minutes! At some point we had reached the point of no return so just stayed in line. They were cute and sweet but 90 minutes for Pooh and friends! My DDs really love them. We did not do much trick or treating but had good viewing for fireworks and the 2nd parade and also short waits for rides. Some Long lines for the special snacks which werent even that good.

If you aren't getting double 5-6 FPs each day (so 10-12), you aren't doing it right.
Note I said I read estimates of the party number of guests, true no one knows since Disney does not release the numbers to the public, which I think they should at least when they say “limited” number of tickets will be sold for an event.
I believe they raise the number of tickets sold just the same as the prices like any other business because they can.
I also believe we will see this continue as long as people are willing to go to 2 or more parties because of the parties being busier, they do so to be able to do all the want to accomplish at said events

There is no question the ticket sales have increased significantly. Remember, it was in I think 2015 when like half The days sold out, way in advance, stunning everyone. That hasn't happened since. Why? Because they sell more tickets.

The issue with the first party is that they send out a lot of comped tickets to bloggers/media people/etc plus still sell a full allotment to the general public.

There is no question the ticket sales have increased significantly. Remember, it was in I think 2015 when like half The days sold out, way in advance, stunning everyone. That hasn't happened since. Why? Because they sell more tickets.

Exploding ticket prices could be a factor too.

We go to the party purely for the atmosphere, and if we ride a few rides and get to see a few different things then that to us is money well spent. We are fortunate enough to be at wdw for 13 days so we don't have to park commando everything. This will be our 8th MNSSHP, looking forward to it. And we don't costume, its just too hot for that, which also helps keep us happy and cool in the crowds, avoiding the costume melt downs we have seen so often over the years. But as always YMMV.

That was our plan as well, but you couldn't do anything without a 30 minute plus wait. this includes trying to buy bottled water. We ended up riding some of the kiddie rides with shorter wait times because all of the party stuff was just too busy.

I'm here now and my Friend went the first night (her first time) and couldn't believe how crowded it was. She experienced the same thing, crazy waits even to get something to drink for your kids. She said she never would have bought the tickets had she known it would have been that crowded.

I went last August the first night and we were also disappointed with how crowded everything was. At least 30 minute wait or more for rides. I mean "it's a small world" had 30 minute wait - that's nuts! It was also hard to get around because of the heavy crowds which gave us a sub par experience. I was scratching my head saying I couldn't believe I paid extra money to feel crowded like a sardine and get some candy. We didn't get on one ride that night. I wish I would have written to guest communications when we got home but I was swamped with work. I just chalked it up to "one and done" experience.

Now here's what I'd like to add - some posters have said Disney doesn't promise you low crowds. But people's perception is of low crowds - for good reason. Before we went , quite a few people told me they had went years ago and talked about the low crowds. Told me of walk on rides. Disney markets it as an exclusive experience - only ticket holders can go. The perception by many is that it will be lower crowds and a special, more intimate MK experience.

Had I known what the crowds were like I would have never shelled out the money for it. My friend who just went felt exactly the same way. I think Disney should release the attendance numbers - in fairness so people can make an informed decision when they buy their tickets.

I wouldn't go on the first night anything opened and expect low crowds. So many people want to be first. And add to that all of the media type guests, and you will have a packed park.

So for anyone who has experienced the excessive crowds at any of the recent parties, I encourage you to write to Disney and Express your disappointment. I did and finally got to speak to someone today. I did not ask or receive compensation, but I did get to express my concern that the parties Have become too crowded to enjoy the party activities and I do feel like at least I was heard. I also suggested bringing in fans into the Disney jR Dance Party tent which should be an easy fix. Will anything change? I do not know, but I know unless people speak up, nothing will. Maybe if enough people express their feelings, they will reconsider capacity or add in more party stuff to better absorb the crowd.

I'm here now and my Friend went the first night (her first time) and couldn't believe how crowded it was. She experienced the same thing, crazy waits even to get something to drink for your kids. She said she never would have bought the tickets had she known it would have been that crowded.

I went last August the first night and we were also disappointed with how crowded everything was. At least 30 minute wait or more for rides. I mean "it's a small world" had 30 minute wait - that's nuts! It was also hard to get around because of the heavy crowds which gave us a sub par experience. I was scratching my head saying I couldn't believe I paid extra money to feel crowded like a sardine and get some candy. We didn't get on one ride that night. I wish I would have written to guest communications when we got home but I was swamped with work. I just chalked it up to "one and done" experience.

Now here's what I'd like to add - some posters have said Disney doesn't promise you low crowds. But people's perception is of low crowds - for good reason. Before we went , quite a few people told me they had went years ago and talked about the low crowds. Told me of walk on rides. Disney markets it as an exclusive experience - only ticket holders can go. The perception by many is that it will be lower crowds and a special, more intimate MK experience.

Had I known what the crowds were like I would have never shelled out the money for it. My friend who just went felt exactly the same way. I think Disney should release the attendance numbers - in fairness so people can make an informed decision when they buy their tickets.

Bingo!! They had gone "years ago". If they'd gone last year, I'd put more a bit more stock in what they said. But even one year can change things - not to mention "years ago".

I went in I think 2000. I have not been since. I in no way expect it to be the same crowd-wise as 18 years ago when I go on the 9th. But I'm going to go in with ONE or TWO must-dos and enjoy those and the things I would like to do and not stress about what I can't do. Focus on the positive!

(This whole discussion reminds me of the cruise forums where people are all "Yes, stay on the ship in Nassau! It'll be empty!" When in reality many people stay onboard in Nassau. So it's less crowded than a sea day, but nowhere near the "empty" ship people thought they were going to get.)

We went a sold out Christmas party in 2017. The park itself was very crowded and almost impassible around the hub and main street, because of so many people waiting for the parade/stage shows/fireworks. Getting across the hub with a double stroller was truly one of the worst experiences I ever had at Disney. People were screaming at eachother about "stealing" spots, blocking views etc., and nobody was observing the designated walkways because they all paid lots of money for this party and weren't going to miss out on the "special" party activities. In contrast, my family and I chose to go on rides and take in the party decor from a distance. We also grabbed a couple of the free treats but only if the lines were not too bad. We did not wait in line for any characters, we just saw them as we walked past and pointed them out to our kids. With very few obvious exceptions (7DMT, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, BTMRR) there was not a single wait time more than 10 minutes despite the insane crowds at the hub.

That ride-focused strategy was fun for us as we do not stay long at Disney World so we only ever have a single MK day and the party lets us fill in the gaps with rides we don't have time or fastpasses for on a regular day. But everyone who was trying to catch the parade and character meet and greets must have had an awful time. Then again, on a crowded regular park day, people trying to get on rides have an awful time with crowds too, and the crush to see HEA has gotten insane. One thing we have learned about Disney World is to go in knowing you can't do it all, that you are going to miss out on some things you want because of lines too long/no fastpass/ride is down, and just roll with it.

Bingo!! They had gone "years ago". If they'd gone last year, I'd put more a bit more stock in what they said. But even one year can change things - not to mention "years ago".

I went in I think 2000. I have not been since. I in no way expect it to be the same crowd-wise as 18 years ago when I go on the 9th. But I'm going to go in with ONE or TWO must-dos and enjoy those and the things I would like to do and not stress about what I can't do. Focus on the positive!

(This whole discussion reminds me of the cruise forums where people are all "Yes, stay on the ship in Nassau! It'll be empty!" When in reality many people stay onboard in Nassau. So it's less crowded than a sea day, but nowhere near the "empty" ship people thought they were going to get.)

People are waiting over 2 hours -to meet a character. That's a problem. Others who paid the high premium in order for their kids to enjoy found that impossible in some cases, due to parade crowds lining the street 5-deep. That's a problem. If you're marketing a hard ticket event with a price tag centered on character experiences, shows, and a parade, these should be accessible without having to sell your firstborn. This isn't about an empty park, at all.

I feel like each year the crowd level keeps increasing at the parties to the point where they are no longer fun. We last attended at MNSSHP IN 2016 and said never again. For a family of 6 we spent a lot on tickets and walked away half way through the party with very little candy, having gone on only like two rides, and a very grumpy husband. Our whole family was ready to go, which is not usual.

People are waiting over 2 hours -to meet a character. That's a problem. Others who paid the high premium in order for their kids to enjoy found that impossible in some cases, due to parade crowds lining the street 5-deep. That's a problem. If you're marketing a hard ticket event with a price tag centered on character experiences, shows, and a parade, these should be accessible without having to sell your firstborn. This isn't about an empty park, at all.

And others at the same parties have reported very different things if you're willing to rearrange the schedule or catch the parade from Frontierland or anywhere not on Main Street. Flexibility is really the key to making things enjoyable - even if you have a zillion MUST DOs. (I've also heard a few podcasts - even one with parents - who advocate splitting up to get things done if one kid wants to meet Character X and another wants to go on Ride Y and there "is only time for one". If you send Mom with one kid and Dad with the other, bingo, you've gotten both things done with those who want them. If both kids want both, they might have to make a choice. And... "Life's full of tough choices, isn't it?")

Even as a solo adult, I have to make choices about things to do or not - even on a regular day and NOT at a party. And I don't have the ability to "divide and conquer" - so I'll end up in a longer line to meet Moana because I don't have someone to hold my place while I run and get my wristband.

And others at the same parties have reported very different things if you're willing to rearrange the schedule or catch the parade from Frontierland or anywhere not on Main Street. Flexibility is really the key to making things enjoyable - even if you have a zillion MUST DOs. (I've also heard a few podcasts - even one with parents - who advocate splitting up to get things done if one kid wants to meet Character X and another wants to go on Ride Y and there "is only time for one". If you send Mom with one kid and Dad with the other, bingo, you've gotten both things done with those who want them. If both kids want both, they might have to make a choice. And... "Life's full of tough choices, isn't it?")

Even as a solo adult, I have to make choices about things to do or not - even on a regular day and NOT at a party. And I don't have the ability to "divide and conquer" - so I'll end up in a longer line to meet Moana because I don't have someone to hold my place while I run and get my wristband.

Not everyone going is an experienced Disney commando. I also recognize that experiences differ from one party to the next, from one year to the next. Me? I've been going since 1984, have seen it all a bazillion times, and know the parks like the back of my hand. *But*, everyone is not me, and every party is different. If Disney is selling you an expensive ticket to parades, shows, character meets, etc, *any* paying guest should be able to show up on *any* party night with the reasonable expectation that they will be able to do what is advertised without having to repel down the side of Cinderella's Castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter