First Disney Trip...Ready To Go Again.

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Not sure if anyone will read this, but I'm feeling a bit of Disney withdrawal so thought I'd start a trip report to see if it help. ;) It's amazing how you plan and plan for about 9 months (just like having a baby) and then it's over so quick (ok, so that part is not like a baby). One thing I will say...is I was so hyped and excited about this trip that I was wondering if I was going to feel let down when we actually went. The verdict? Absolutely not! The trip was everything and more!

Since going into this trip, it was possibly the only time we'd be coming to Disney, we went all out...BBB, MNSSHP tickets, Memory Maker, Disney Dining Plan (and going over by 2 credits). I wanted us to do everything without holding back.

Speaking of planning and planning, I'd like to take a moment to thank people on here. I mean, I've read some books and looked at the Disney site, but really, most of my findings have been from posting on here. I find the best research comes from talking with others who have experienced it and knows first hand how things work. All this does not go unappreciated.

Ok...so here I go...first report for a first Disney trip (hopefully not the last). Guess this will be written over many days.

The Players
SO there's me and DH (both 41) and DS9 and DD5. We're from Toronto, Canada.

DD5 is a real girly-girl. Loves princesses, dressing up and is still in that believing age, so I figured this would be quite magical for her.

DS9 loves rides, has gotten into Star Wars (yah for HS), and eating out with treats (well, who wouldn't?)

DH is easy going but hates crowds (oh oh).

Me, well I like things organized and like to plan.

Up to now, we haven't travelled that much on real vacations. We often do mini-road trips on holiday long weekends. We did take them to NY 2 years ago and 3.5 years ago we did go on a Disney cruise, but that was not the same as we went with family so it wasn't "our trip" IYKWIM.

Kids have been super excited for this trip. When we told them about the trip end of August, DD has been diligently crossing off each day on her calendar in the evenings, counting down. So cute.

Sunday Oct 19 - Departure Day!
Yah...it's day to leave to Disney. Kids got up with no issues.
We left for the airport at 7:30am for our 10:30am flight, and our trip was pretty smooth. Arrived on time at 1:20pm. Got our bags quickly, but then a long slow line at the rental car. So it took us a bit longer than expected to arrive at our resort Art of Animation.

Art of Animation - such a cute resort. I really love the theming. There are beautiful and impressive hand drawn Disney characters on the walls in the lobby. The grounds are also themed. We stayed in the Cars suite, so it was like we were in Radiator Springs. Our room...adorable and detailed, even the washrooms. And the room was spotless. What I loved as well is that the suite had two full washrooms, which is very efficient when trying to get out quickly in the mornings with showering.

Originally, we had planned to head over to Magic Kingdom when we arrived. We figured we would have time before our 7pm ADR, so I had booked three FP (Peter Pan, Barnstormer and Buzz). However, by the time we got settled and ready to go, it was 4:30pm. And we had heard about the parking at MK, so we decided it wouldn't be enough time so we didn't bother. Our kids love video games so we went down to the video arcade and let them play until dinner.

Ohana - Time to go to dinner. Since we had rented a car, we drove to the Polynesian. We were impressed with how we pulled up, they scanned DH's magic band and said 'you have a 7pm dinner reservation at Ohana'. Cool!
I had heard about the construction, but it really wasn't that bad. We checked in, and boy was the lobby busy. But overall, we were about 15 minutes early and they took us maybe 10 min after our ADR. We got a spot by the window. They took our kids order and brought us the food. I don't eat meat, but there still was not a lack of selection. Everything was delicious, and DH was in heaven as he is a meat eater. Kids enjoyed too.

Nothing else planned for the night. We knew we'd want an early start next morning so back to the resort (which really wasn't early for our kids since they normally go to bed at 8pm).

Subscribing. Sounds like a great first day. And u ate at one of my faves on ur first day in disney! Can't wait to read more.

Monday Oct 20 - Magic Kingdom

So our first park day is MK. Yes, i realize this is not a good idea in terms of crowds, but we wanted to start at "the park". Plus, Monday and Wednesday are our only days to catch the Electrical Parade. I promised DH a 'day off' from the parks on Wednesday so that leaves today. So...we are going knowing to expect crowds.

This should have been an amazing day but, but during the night I had an awful migraine. Then as we were driving to MK I knew I wasn't right as I felt very nauseous. Was hoping it was short lived but no such luck. But what was I to do but stick it out?

I had my touring plan with a few early rides, but by the time we entered the park and got those famous castle pictures done on Main Street it was about 10:30am. DS and I had a FP for Big Thunder Mountain and DH and DD were going to ride Little Mermaid stand by. Having no idea how far things are on foot, we decided to split up and head to our first rides.

I will say that I do love FP...just pass all those people in the queue. Big Thunder does eventually meet up with the main line, but I think it wasn't even 3 minutes or so before we were on the ride. And wow...Big Thunder is tons of fun. Not huge drops down the hill but fun turns. And as an adult, I was really taking in the scenery. It's a beautiful and detailed roller coaster. So my only complaint with the ride is that it did not help my nausea situation. But, never the less, it's one of my favourite rides (2nd place).

After the ride we met up with DD and DH (DD LOVED Little Mermaid. Apparently her reaction was really priceless...seeing Ariel and other characters 'live' for the first time). After this we went on the classic Its a Small World. The kids loved seeing all the dolls and the music, and DH and I could appreciate the different cultures and languages. Very cool.

Next was lunch at Columbia Harbor Castle. I really wanted to try this QS as I'd heard great things, but I couldn't eat so just sat with my family. Dh got the tuna since I said it was recommended on here and kids got chicken fingers. They all enjoyed.

After lunch it was rides such as Mickey's PhilarMagic, and Peter Pan FP (again, would have been cool had my stomach not been out of whack). By this point I had to sit down and just let DH, DD and DS go off on a few rides. Was so angry that I was feeling so lousy. But they did return for 7DMT. No way was I missing this one after managing to grab a FP. And yeah, it is a very cool ride (and love the 'Hi Ho' song in the middle and the video you get with it). But as I walked off...of course the nausea was stronger and I managed to throw up (in the plastic bag I was carrying around for this purpose). This was a good thing as it gave me some relief.

Continued on to rides such as Winnie the Pooh (ok, not sure we'd go again) and Monsters Inc show (very cute).

Then was our BOG dinner. Was sooo looking forward to this but alas, was not meant to be. I do though LOVE the atmosphere and even the outside area where you wait with your buzzer. And the ballroom? Beautiful. We sat right near the window with the snow. Lovely.

[lunch hour at work done...to be continued...]

we will all be WDW first timers in Feb/March - so reading yours... we are; however, Disneyland vets (we lived there lol).

You are living my fear - someone is going to be sick... Murphy's law! :)

we will all be WDW first timers in Feb/March - so reading yours... we are; however, Disneyland vets (we lived there lol).

You are living my fear - someone is going to be sick... Murphy's law! :)

Yes, I had this fear too...mostly of one of our kids who are exposed to so much. I guess on a positive note, if one of us were to get sick, glad it was me...since I would force myself to keep going. Didn't want our kids to miss out on rides, A&E for DD, and Electrical Parade.

I'm glad you've decided to do a trip report! Look forward to reading more :)

Thanks. Will write it over multiple days when I have moments.

Monday Oct 20 - Magic Kingdom Continued

So back to our BOG dinner. ... I did order the shrimp and scallops as was looking forward to this, but only had one scallop and a bite of the pastry. I would say it was only 'ok', but perhaps if I was well I would have liked it better. DH also said his meal was ok but not amazing. Kids enjoyed their meal and their desserts. That is what I was most looking forward to...the tripple chocolate cupcake (I'm a chocoholic) but I couldn't even look at the dessert cup. Oh well....maybe next time (cause BOG is so easy to get an ADR for...lol).

When done with the meal DD went to meet The Beast...which is impressive since a year ago, she would have been terrified of Micky Mouse, never mind about The Beast. (DS had no interest since it is princess-related). Got some cool photos, and DH joined in too.

After dinner was very exciting for DD as she was meeting her idols...Anna & Elsa (after persistent checking over and over, I managed to grab a FP). Needless to say, she was very happy and got another great batch of pictures.

We were going to head back to the resort since i wasn't well, but the whole reason for coming to MK on a Monday was to see the Electrical Parade, and it was 8:30pm now, so just stuck it out. It really was quite impressive with all the lights...beautiful at night.

Then back to the hotel and time for bed!

So sorry for you feeling queezy on your 1st day. Hopefully it was only that day.
I am so afraid of that tho! But you stuck it out like a trooper
I have never been to BOG, but the cupcake sounds amazing! Guess when I get to go, I'll JUST HAVE to get BOTH the cupcake AND the grey stuff ;)

So sorry for you feeling queezy on your 1st day. Hopefully it was only that day.
I am so afraid of that tho! But you stuck it out like a trooper
I have never been to BOG, but the cupcake sounds amazing! Guess when I get to go, I'll JUST HAVE to get BOTH the cupcake AND the grey stuff ;)

Yeah...first day was rough, but thank goodness just the first day (plus a few hours) and then was fine. Never the less, trip was still amazing!
Ha ha...enjoy both desserts at BOG

Tues Oct 21 - Hollywood Studios

I woke up still feeling yucky on our second park day. Problem is...this is the one park that we were really had to split up as DH and DS had boyish stuff planned and DD and I had the girly things. And like most girls, I didn't want DD to miss Frozen sing along (she and I had FP) and likewise, didn't want DS to miss Star Tours (DH and DS had FP). DH said we could change our park day and he'd just take them to MK, but we had FPs and dinner ADR booked. So really, no choice but to get up and force myself. Never the less, thank goodness that although the first two hours were rough, things did start to improve and by say 11am I felt much better so could see it was lifting.

I had heard about advice from here about getting to the gate before rope drop and then RUN to the Jedi Training for sign up. But unfortunately because of my health, we didn't quite make it as early as planned, but we did still get there just past 9am. We went straight for the sign up, and of course, DS was on the waiting list. (Crazy how fast it sells out). So what this meant was that DH and DS had to keep checking for cancellations. But they were determined to do so throughout the day as DS really wanted to try it.

While they were lining up, DD and I went to Muppets 3D. Cute, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it (even as a Muppets fan as I grew up with them). Then we all met up for the Toy Story Ride with FP. That one was quite cool. But after that, we basically split up until dinner. DH and DS did Star Tours, I think 3 times (poor DH as he felt yucky but did it for DS), saw the stunt shows...and YES...they did manage to find an empty spot at one of the Jedi Trainings. They were shocked that someone was a no-show...but yah! And DS absolutely loved it....So anyone with a child who loves Star Wars...have them try it.

DD and I went to the Frozen Oaken Trading Post where she got to play with snow (but not a novelty for us as we're from Canada), and then we went to Little Mermaid which she loved, she met Sophie (first meet and greet so was special for her), had lunch (yah...I could eat), and saw the other shows in the afternoon; Beauty & The Beast (great show...recommend it) and Disney JR (am I the only one that thought it was really stupid that we were sitting on the floor, but yet the characters were coming out of the stage - meaning you could barely see them???). We ended with Great Movie Ride (people warned of it being scary but I guess I underestimated DD as she wasn't scared at all and quite liked it).

Then end of day we met for dinner. I had heard many bad reviews of Hollywood & Vine....bad food and dirty. But we didn't find either. Maybe it was because we came early but it was perfectly clean (and believe me, I have high standards). And the food? I wouldn't call it amazing or to go out of your way for it, but it was fine. I don't eat meat and there was enough selection and our kids enjoyed. Not sure why the awful reviews. (Maybe if we weren't using a dining credit we would have rated it lower).

Last was Fantasmic. The dining package gave us great seats...right in the middle. The show was really cool...a mix of characters, lighting, fireworks over the water. We quite enjoyed and glad that we got to see it.

Then back to our hotel after a full day. DD5 is quite exhausted after a full day and late night the previous night so she falls alsleep quickly. DS got used to 'getting to' stay up later and watch tv.

Oh and meanwhile, I was on the laptop setting up FPs for our Wednesday...which was our "day off from the park"...he he (since we never made it to the park on arrival day).

Glad u were able to enjoy the day. I was really sick one trip and had to push thru as to not disappoint the little ones. I know what u mean about disney junior. That show makes no sense to me. The poor kids can't see and the CMs had to keep telling the kids to sit down and then there were times in the show where they wanted them to stand...then made us try to get them to sit again. Very confusing for the little ones.

Glad u were able to enjoy the day. I was really sick one trip and had to push thru as to not disappoint the little ones. I know what u mean about disney junior. That show makes no sense to me. The poor kids can't see and the CMs had to keep telling the kids to sit down and then there were times in the show where they wanted them to stand...then made us try to get them to sit again. Very confusing for the little ones.

Thx...hope you weren't sick too long. It sucks.
So I'm not the only one who things it makes no sense the how they implemented Disney JR. So silly since you only see the top half of the characters.

Sounds like a very fun day. Never tried the vine place because my parents were obsessed with 50s prime time.
Super neat that your son got to be a part of the Jedi show! Proud daddy moment I bet!
I love fantasmic! It's so thrilling and exciting and B-E-A-utiful.
Looking forward to your next vacation day.

Oops..have been so busy haven't entered another entry so here I go.

Wed Oct 22 - "Day Off" (Plus Epcot)

One compromise I made for staying onsite was to have one non-park day, so this was planned for the middle of our trip on the Wednesday. BUT...since we never made it to the park on arrival day, we had one extra park ticket. I suggested to DH that he still get his "DAY" off, but perhaps we head to Epcot in the evening and then we can at least catch Illuminations. So he reluctantly agreed. :thumbsup2

Our morning started with a breakfast at ADR at Boma's as I'd heard such great things. Luckily we had our rental car as otherwise it may have been awkward to get to. Breakfast was really yummy with tons of selection (that French Toast Bread Pudding was super yummy and decadent) and this was Dh's favorite breakfast.

After breakfast we returned to our resort to use the pool. Like all week, it was a beautiful day with sunshine (we really lucked out with the weather!). We went to The Finding Nemo pool as it was larger than the Cars one. I was happy to see life jackets as DD doesn't swim. Kids had fun, but honestly I was happy when it was time to leave. (I grew up with a pool in our backyard but am not a swimmer)

After lunch we drove to an outlet mall (again, a promise to DH). Now normally I love shopping, but compared with Disney, I wasn't into it. I think I looked at one kids store and otherwise, just followed DH where he wanted to go (and just wanted to get back...as did the kids).

Now originally when we had this trip planned, DH was really excited to hear that there was a Golden Corral nearby (hey, don't laugh). But after the full breakfast at Boma, he changed his mind (yah). So....we headed off to Epcot. :cool1: We were inside around 5pm.

We already have Epcot planned for half of Friday , but the good thing about adding another Epcot day, is that we could schedule a FP for Test Track (since FP on Friday is for Soarin). DS really wanted to ride this so great. I also had scheduled two other FPs which ended up being quite useless since the lines at this point were quite short (Dh was laughing at my "great FP use", but would have preferred long lines???). We started at The Nemo ride, which was cute, and then off to Turtle Talk. We quite enjoyed Turtle Talk and it was neat as Crush talked to my kids (DD was too shy so DS pitched in). We also went on Figment. My kids enjoyed it but the best was seeing DH's expression of "this is the most ridiculous things I've ever seen". Too funny. DD wanted to do a character greet (Mickey and pals) so I took her while DH and DS checked out a store.

Then we grabbed QS at Sunshine Seasons. This is the best QS...delicious beet and goat cheese sandwich (healthy) with whoopie pie for dessert (not healthy). Then off to Test Track. VERY COOL ride. You first build your car. This was so funny as DS car was like a normal race car. DD car looked like a big purple truck. Hilarious. We were all laughing but DD was proud of her truck. The ride was super neat. DD5 had her hands up at the fast part. Very glad we had a chance to ride this.

Last we went to Illluminations. This was the first time our kids had seen fireworks. And wow...beautiful!
So glad our non park day ended with Epcot...he he.

Thurs Oct 23 - Magic Kingdom

Today was our second planned MK day...and at least this time I could enjoy it without feeling like I was gonna barf. ;)

We got up and ready much quicker this time (I love the two full washrooms at AoA). Parking at MK is a pain, but we got there early enough that we were pretty close to the entrance so we could skip the tram and just walk to the monorail.

Since we were there as planned, we could follow the schedule (a schedule that DH later admitted that he was impressed with). So we were first off to Adventureland to ride Jungle Cruise standby. Wait wasn't too bad (maybe 17 minutes) and we got on the boat. Our driver was funny, but I found the ride just 'ok' (and DH was giving me the 'what corny jokes' look). Our kids seemed to enjoy it though.

After that we went to Pirates of Carribean FP. Got a few magic shots done first (cute one of DH and DD dancing with Olaf...and one of DS and DD with Pascal from Tangled ). Then on to POTC. Now none of us had seen the movie (even though the movie is based on the ride) so it didn't mean too much but the atmosphere was neat with cool skeletons and such. Only thing I didn't like is that I was sitting on the right side of the boat and got soaked...not once but twice! And it wasn't super hot out to dry off quick. Oh well, I didn't melt.

Next we did Magic Carpets, which seems like a boring ride for Disney. Then off to Big Thunder Mountain Run with our FP. This was DH and DD first time but they loved it. DD used to be quite a chicken on these things but something changed over the summer and now she loves it...always puts her hands up in the air which is quite cute.

After BTMR, we split up for a bit as DS and DH wanted to ride Splash Mountain and I promised DD I'd take her on my favorite from when I was a kid...Haunted Mansion. Again, if it was 6 months earlier she wouldn't have gone near it (and DS wouldn't go on it with me...original FP that I changed) but now she was excited and kept saying 'I'll go on it with you mommy'. So off we went...the queue is cool with lots of things to read. People had warned of the Stretching Room being scary for young ones, but it was really no big deal at all (and even less if you didn't look up). Then we boarded the doom buggies and it was so much fun. DD loved it...which made me very happy too (i.e. when you can share something together). She wanted to ride it again, but we left it for another time.

We ended up spending the rest of the day separated from DH and DS since DD had BBB booked after lunch. So the two of us grabbed a quick bite and she changed into her Anna dress...and off we went to her appointment. Now what a special experience for little girls...they are truly treated like a princess with their hair getting done up (which looks silly but they love it), make up and nails. Then the photos, which are quite precious.

...to be continued...

Awww how neat that your daughter got to do BBB. And major thumbs up for having a definitely more enjoyable Day at Magic Kingdom this time!!

Quick question though, I've never gone to the parks in a car so I have never experienced the parking. Is there a reason why it was a hassle this time?

Awww how neat that your daughter got to do BBB. And major thumbs up for having a definitely more enjoyable Day at Magic Kingdom this time!!

Quick question though, I've never gone to the parks in a car so I have never experienced the parking. Is there a reason why it was a hassle this time?

Yes...i recommend to do BBB once for a little girl.

Parking isn't so straight forward at MK. After parking you take a tram (unless close enough to walk), then the monorail to get to the front gates. Other parks you just park your car and walk.

Glad to hear you had a great first trip! I'm suffering from a bit of PDD myself, maybe I need to write a TR myself! Enjoying reading along! That stinks you were sick on your first day, nothing worse than not being able to enjoy what you planned for so long! Glad you felt better on day #2 though!

Glad to hear you had a great first trip! I'm suffering from a bit of PDD myself, maybe I need to write a TR myself! Enjoying reading along! That stinks you were sick on your first day, nothing worse than not being able to enjoy what you planned for so long! Glad you felt better on day #2 though!

Thank you for your words. Aside from me getting sick our first day, everything was perfect.
And totally know how you feel with PDD...part of the reason I decided to write a trip report (and to have the full memories written down). Guess I'm taking my time too to stretch it out...cause then what?
Would love to read yours if you write one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter