Favorite experiences for kids (besides rides)?

francisca2022

Earning My Ears
Hello hello!

We are going to Disney for 10 days in February 2023. Mom, dad, grandparents, and 3 kids (5,3,1 years old).
We are going to the parks 7 days, planning on a few rest days, renting stroller, etc. I think we have the basics covered 🤞
But, non of the adults in the group have been to WDW in the past 15+ years so we don't really know what other things (besides rides) are out there.

What other experiences are great for kids that we won't want to miss?
Could be any special restaurants, tours, stores, activities, or anything that made your trip memorable for your little ones.
We are not from the US, so something like the Lego store would be huge for them.

I've seen some post on character dining, princess boutique, etc. but it's a little overwhelming. I would love to hear what you consider are the must-dos for 1-5 year olds.

Thanks for much!!!!

We were just at WDW last month with our almost 3yr old. He likes characters but doesn't want them too close. The character interaction at Topolino's was so great that he actually let the characters come near him. I have a great picture of Mickey playing peekaboo with him. Would definitely recommend their character breakfast.

He also enjoyed the parade at the Magic Kingdom. We used Genie+ for it, which is not necessary, but allowed us to grab a pretzel right before the parade and have a good viewing spot without having to wait in the sun beforehand.

We did a 20 minute Capture Your Moment photo session at Animal Kingdom. We brought both of our son's grandmothers and they were both so happy to get one on one photos with their grandchild. We ended up with some nice family photos as well. Might be nice since you mentioned you are bringing grandparents.

It depends on what your kids are into because there is so much to do! There is a Lego store at Disney Springs, so if you’re interested in Legos that would be fun. You can go out there one evening to have dinner and shop. If your 5 year old is a princess fan, Bippidy Boppity Boutique just reopened.

As far as character meals, there aren’t as many options since Covid. One of our personal favorites is Ohana breakfast at the Polynesian. I believe characters are getting ready to come back soon. Pre-covid you would meet Mickey, Lilo and Stitch. We always had great food and character interaction here and my kids love it. Hopefully, it will still be as good! There is a character breakfast at Topolino’s that consistently gets great reviews, but I’ve not personally done it. There is also Chef Mickey’s, which I would recommend for breakfast over dinner.

When my kids were 5 and 3, pony rides at Ft Wilderness, visiting the horse barn, the horsedrawn carriage (reservations required for carriage but not pony rides) and playing on resort playgrounds. They liked the Cape May character breakfast and Chef Mickeys, though 1 of my kids did go through a phase at age 1 of not wanting to get close to characters (though she did love watching Star Wars characters from afar) and the other kid loved giving characters hugs when he was 1.5. At AK, the Wilderness Explorer books are fun, and there was a little activity book in the Seas part of Epcot. Also look for Epcot Kidcot stops. If there is an Epcot scavenger hunt, it is great for 5 year olds. My 3 year old participates too, but loses interest halfway through. At age 1, other than rides, my kids most enjoyed playgrounds and watching water features and trains.

When my kids were 5 and 3, pony rides at Ft Wilderness, visiting the horse barn, the horsedrawn carriage (reservations required for carriage but not pony rides) and playing on resort playgrounds. They liked the Cape May character breakfast and Chef Mickeys, though 1 of my kids did go through a phase at age 1 of not wanting to get close to characters (though she did love watching Star Wars characters from afar) and the other kid loved giving characters hugs when he was 1.5. At AK, the Wilderness Explorer books are fun, and there was a little activity book in the Seas part of Epcot. Also look for Epcot Kidcot stops. If there is an Epcot scavenger hunt, it is great for 5 year olds. My 3 year old participates too, but loses interest halfway through. At age 1, other than rides, my kids most enjoyed playgrounds and watching water features and trains.
thanks so much for all of these ideas! I didn't know about any of them, will definitely look them up

When my oldest was 5yo, she did a pony ride before our ADR at Trail’s End. The pony peed while she was on it and she still says it was one of her favourite memory of WDW. Another one for my girls is to go to POFQ and eat beignets. Sometimes, it’s the little things that make a trip extra special.

Honestly there are a ton of experiences but for my kids the parks and resort pools was plenty to make the trip magical without anything else. We have done character breakfasts which the kids really loved and is a good way to be up and personal with their favorites without the stress and hassle of standing in line. Ft wilderness also has a campfire singalong with Chip and Dale nightly. It is free and a lot of fun. Very relaxing and there are food trucks where you can buy snacks and makings for s’mores. They also have a Disney movie outdoor afterwords.

It technically is part of a ride, but my girls loved running around and seeing all the fishes in the aquarium at the living seas.

At AK, I would try to get a breakfast reservation at Tusker House. Great character interaction. Also, my girls loved the wilderness explorer at AK. They get stamps for visiting different parts of the park.

It technically is part of a ride, but my girls loved running around and seeing all the fishes in the aquarium at the living seas.

At AK, I would try to get a breakfast reservation at Tusker House. Great character interaction. Also, my girls loved the wilderness explorer at AK. They get stamps for visiting different parts of the park.
thanks so much, the wilderness explorers sounds great. Do we just show up? Is this through the Disney app?

We just got back with our two grand kids ages 1& almost 3. Hands down their favorite was the resort pools. They also enjoyed waiting for Dumbo in the indoor play area. They also loved meeting the characters. We only had one character meal because we were unsure how it was going to go. We did Garden Grill and it was perfect for us. We went in the morning, stayed until lunch, then headed back to the room for naps. A couple nights we went back into the parks for dinner and a couple rides.

My kids like the Lego store in DS (building their own character, visiting the sculptures outside). They love TRex restaurant in DS too. They love renting boats and surrey bikes and taking rides, visiting the stables at FW, carriage rides at FW, fireworks cruises, and the parade. They also love just swimming at the resort. Pretty much anything we do in Disney they like lol, but these are their non ride favorites.

I've seen a number of parents post that their kids were more thrilled by riding the Skyliner than by a lot of the actual rides.

In fact, one parent posted that their kid kept saying, "I want to ride the one up in the air again." Yup, meant the Skyliner.

Best of all, you won't have to get off and return later if you'd like to keep riding. :)

I've seen a number of parents post that their kids were more thrilled by riding the Skyliner than by a lot of the actual rides.

In fact, one parent posted that their kid kept saying, "I want to ride the one up in the air again." Yup, meant the Skyliner.

Best of all, you won't have to get off and return later if you'd like to keep riding. :)
This is definitely true! My son loved the skyliner! For days after returning home he assumed we would still take the skyliner to get places. Very disappointing to have to ride in the car instead. 🤣

Hello hello!

We are going to Disney for 10 days in February 2023. Mom, dad, grandparents, and 3 kids (5,3,1 years old).
We are going to the parks 7 days, planning on a few rest days, renting stroller, etc. I think we have the basics covered 🤞
But, non of the adults in the group have been to WDW in the past 15+ years so we don't really know what other things (besides rides) are out there.

What other experiences are great for kids that we won't want to miss?
Could be any special restaurants, tours, stores, activities, or anything that made your trip memorable for your little ones.
We are not from the US, so something like the Lego store would be huge for them.

I've seen some post on character dining, princess boutique, etc. but it's a little overwhelming. I would love to hear what you consider are the must-dos for 1-5 year olds.

Thanks for much!!!!
we stayed in a cabin in the Fort Wilderness and 4 year old granddaughter was disappointed we could not ride or take a bus home. do not be surprised that the kids favorite thing is not in a park or an experience

Tusker House breakfast is great for kids! The environment in there is exciting because of the characters, but never overwhelmingly loud or claustrophobic. The characters come around multiple times and do an adorable dance that kiddos can get involved with. The simba waffles and POG juice are a must, too! Hitting up this place after a morning safari ride is a great way to do AK with kids IMO :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter