Fastpass return or replacement?

Not quite sure what Disney is doing here. At DL, it's basically MaxPass, but without any free FP's, adding some LL$s, and (so far) no yearly AP addon price. This, along with the recent SoCal AP changes, makes me think that Disney is FINALLY trying to attract out of state tourists. AP's typically won't be spending the extra $20 a pop and with more blackout days, means less crowds AND Genie+ benefits for tourists (who are more likely to pay for Genie+ than SoCal residents). If that ends up how it plays out, that's a win for me (since I don't live in Cali any more). But it's likely to anger those SoCal APs. Interesting...

What really has me scratching my head is how this would work at WDW. Because the problem there isn't the AP's. So that means a TON of tourists will be buying this. Yes, it is technically more rides, but there will be many times more people trying to use Genie+ at WDW. I've seen FP's for the more popular rides disappear by noon with MaxPass at DL. What happens when 10x the number of people are trying to book LLs with Genie+ at WDW? Way less LLs, that's what. I could easily and consistently get 10+ FP's a day on my last trip to DL with MaxPass, without park-hopping. If Disney can pull the same in Florida, well hats off to them. But I don't see it. WDW isn't DL and this program just doesn't make sense to me there.

Just for an example. Say you're gonna do HS that day. You get your RotR boarding pass at 7am and get a late boarding group, then book your G+ for SDD. But because you were booking RotR, SDD is already out until noon. Your G+ is now unable to make more LLs until after you do SDD. So your RotR return time is gonna be later, your SDD isn't until noon, and you can't get more G+. So you're in standby lines until after noon, check your G+ and ALL of the "good" HS G+ LL's are gone for the rest of the day. So you just paid $15/pp for SDD and nothing else. I just don't see how WDW avoids this, especially on busier days.

I have to say, Disney did a good enough job with Genie+ that I can see the potential. I just don't see how they are going to realize that potential at WDW, where the demand for skipping lines is going to outstrip the benefits of G+. Then what? If you don't have G+, you'll have major FOMO. So everyone buys G+. Now LLs are fill up so fast that you can only get 2-3 a day. So the 3 free FP's end up being 3 FP's for $15. And Disney makes a ton of $ with no added benefits to the customer. So G+ ends up angering the biggest demographics in both parks over $15 a person? Like I said, I see the potential, but wow this certainly has backlash potential too. Risky move.

Me personally, as a DL regular and with my first ever WDW trip planned for 2022, I like it. The potential tourist win at DL is there, and I'm all for making SoCal AP's pay more or wait in longer lines (as an ex-AP who now lives out of state, I can dislike them now). And for a one-and-done trip to WDW, I'm already only paying less than $70 a day a ticket. $15 more isn't gonna make me cancel my trip. So bring on Genie+!!

One final thing. No deluxe resort perks for G+? That's a mistake. A family of 4 gets MORE at a Disney Park now with Genie+ by saving money on that hotel stay and putting that money towards G+ and LL$. That's crazy and surely something Disney will look at. But since I'm not staying at a Deluxe, again, it's a win for me!

Can't wait to see all the creative ways guests use the new system. But in a way, they'll have to. Genie is gonna be telling all the secrets to the average first time guests right there on the app. Gonna make those "power user" guests kinda angry too I'm guessin.....

I mean a lot of this is to be determined. But I once had to extend a trip by a day for a snow storm. Booked MK with no plan and got 12 FP that day just booked whatever was open, people are going to figure out work Genie the same way we workedFP+

I don’t really see how this is that different then FP+ except for now I need to pay for it…. But of course I could be way off base here

I think it WILL cost you much more. I think you will need to pay quite a bit more to get on headliners. I think this $15 will only get you on things like Winnie the Pooh, Gran Fiesta Tour, Barnstormer, etc.

The fewer people buying the headliners means less people bypassing the lines so standby shouldn’t be THAT bad. Right?

Exactly. Get a 9 am FP and now all of a sudden have less then 2 hours to get family ready, on transportation, through gates, and to the ride. That’s a lot to ask of some kids and families.

I think you can pick your time. I think I read that. So you can choose 10 instead of 9.

I think it WILL cost you much more. I think you will need to pay quite a bit more to get on headliners. I think this $15 will only get you on things like Winnie the Pooh, Gran Fiesta Tour, Barnstormer, etc.
First GFT never had FP, so not sure why it would have LL.
Second, there are only 10 rides that won't be available with Genie+, that leaves a whole lot of really good rides that will be included (they already said 40)

they can’t as there not tall enough
You don't need rider swap then. The point of rider swap is so that the second rider doesnt have to ride alone. Its never been meant to cheat the FP+ line.
Eg- my family
My older son and I ride SDMT w/ LL. My husband waits with our baby. My husband can then do LL with my older son. My husband has to pay but my son gets his second ride "free" so my husband isnt alone.

What I wonder is how this will impact standby lines.
If LL proves popular, will we see standby times increase (because people paid for a ride they wouldn't have waited for) or stay roughly the same as they were when FP was king?

(2) When you are paying extra for the Lightning Lane rides that aren't included in Genie+, can you choose a time, or are you stuck with next available (the way you are with Genie+)?

It would suck to get up at 7 am and pay $100 or more for my family to ride FOP and then find out that we have to get there immediately to ride.

I'm guessing that you will make a reservation for an available time slot and then pay OR it will be a thing like an immediate FP where you book it while outside of the ride and then get in line within a very short time. I don't think you will pay and then find out your reservation time.

Does anyone know how those individual FPs work at DLP? Will probably be similar.

After reading most of this thread now, I’m just as confused as I was this morning. I don’t know if I have the energy to even try to figure it all out. I’m left with more questions than answers and am just generally frustrated. Every time I think o understand it, another aspect is revealed. I have to get up at 7am every morning I’m there for the privilege of purchasing a pass for a headliner?

Why did they have to make this so dang complicated?

After reading most of this thread now, I’m just as confused as I was this morning. I don’t know if I have the energy to even try to figure it all out. I’m left with more questions than answers and am just generally frustrated. Every time I think o understand it, another aspect is revealed. I have to get up at 7am every morning I’m there for the privilege of purchasing a pass for a headliner?

It's actually quite simple, when you arrive at the park they'll confiscate your credit card. If you ride any rides you don't get it back when you leave. If you even think about riding RotR they'll slash your tires as well.

It's not complicated at all. Starting at 7am you can buy Genie+ for the day and you can then book your first FP. At the same time you can book the top tier rides for more money.

Truth be told, anyone I see pushing this as a good thing I suspect is probably a poster with an agenda, either they work for Disney or are paid to try to push a message by the same. I can understand those who aren't up in arms over this change but those promoting it as a good thing is beyond my comprehension right now.

I think this is a good change over the current system, which is nothing. Just like the extended hours starting this fall are better than the current alternative, also nothing. COVID was a complete reset. We can’t compare them to EMH or FP+. They are gone (and they probably would have been gone with COVID or without).

And those that have trips coming up, who are locked into those trips, are desperate for ways to make our trips better. So to a lot of people this is a good thing. I have $10+k invested in a trip I have been planning and paying for for 3 years. If I have to drop another thousand to make this long awaited trip more enjoyable I will do it. And I’ll be happy about it. No agenda involved.

I think you are right . I also think that the option RIDE NOW, will be $$$. GENIE knows you are in line or close to an attracation and will offer you that option if you'r willing to pay the price.

The MaxPass: The Sequel part is not bad. As far as upcharges go, a similar system to what was working in DL? Fine. I would hope that with the reservation system they could strategically drop times throughout the day based on attendance. I don't know, that may be asking too much of Disney IT.

Way too many questions about the additional charge options though. Which rides? How much? Surge pricing? Are the prices going to be predictable? How many paid slots are going to go to those new rides vs. 'free' boarding groups? Do I have to budget a ride on Ratatouille?

Also I can't believe how stingy they are being with onsite guest perks. You get the privilege of waking up early to make a purchase is... something. You can't even give people 24 hours Disney? It seems so short sighted.

The MaxPass: The Sequel part is not bad. As far as upcharges go, a similar system to what was working in DL? Fine. I would hope that with the reservation system they could strategically drop times throughout the day based on attendance. I don't know, that may be asking too much of Disney IT.

Way too many questions about the additional charge options though. Which rides? How much? Surge pricing? Are the prices going to be predictable? How many paid slots are going to go to those new rides vs. 'free' boarding groups? Do I have to budget a ride on Ratatouille?

Also I can't believe how stingy they are being with onsite guest perks. You get the privilege of waking up early to make a purchase is... something. You can't even give people 24 hours Disney? It seems so short sighted.

The benefits of staying onsite really has been slashed left and right.

First GFT never had FP, so not sure why it would have LL.
Second, there are only 10 rides that won't be available with Genie+, that leaves a whole lot of really good rides that will be included (they already said 40)
Aren’t there about 49 rides/attractions in total? If they said “over 40 rides” I imagine almost every ride would offer LL. So, maybe not GFT specifically, but I imagine the Genie will be directing people to the less popular rides to spread the crowds around, especially if they max out on LL capacity for the more popular rides early in the day.

10 pay-to-ride rides will probably be the ones that are typically our top priority. If the standby is long (will the system make standby longer or shorter? Who knows?) and we want to be guaranteed to ride these 10 rides once during our week long visit, and we pay $4-$24 per ride, that’s an extra $200-$1,200 for a family of 5. Genie+ adds an extra $75/day (or $525 over 7 days).

So, I’m potentially still looking at possibly paying an extra $725-$1725 for a week.

I would LOVE to be wrong. I really would. Maybe I’m being illogical. I hope I’m being illogical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter