Facial Sunscreen or SPF Moisturizer that doesn't "run"

robinb

DIS veteran
I'm heading to WDW in the summer for the first time in years. I am very fair skinned with red hair and I burn easily. I don't usually wear make up but I am thinking of trying a tinted moisturizer. I wear SPF 70 on the rest of my body but I don't want to smear it on my face. In the past, I have purchased tinted mousturizer or BB cream and once I start to ... sweat ... it runs into my eyes and they burn. Not pretty or comfortable! Any suggestions for something that I can pick up at a local department store? I don't have enough time for online sales.

You sound like you have my complexion. I like Citrix Vit C antioxidant (although it is on the expensive side). It is only SPF 40 but I never burn with it (I do reapply every few hours). It is a thick zinc formula that you need to warm up on your fingers to rub in but it stays in place once it is on.

Adding one more... Eucerin Daily Protection doesn't run and is my drugstore go-to if I don't have time for mail order or running to sephora.

I can't compare, but I use bare minerals which does have an spf, and it still sweats off (I blot with kleenex, napkins etc) and then I'd burn (esp my nose!) so I'd keep sunscreen to schmear on - well the dermatologist recommended a product called color science, and I got it at Amazon - (*warning its ridiculous expensive i.e. $50)

It worked! I'd put it on my hair part, my lips, its still a dry powder, make up base - but it never came off ! and I never got red! (went in June heat index factor was 100+!) I just couldn't take a chance on my nose (due to precancerous cells)

I use La Mer and love it (I have fair, sensitive skin), but it's really expensive. I get it at Nordstrom!

I live on Maui and love this for days at the beach when I'm sweating and in and out of the water. You can choose a tint depending on your complexion. It's very popular with surfers cuz it stays on so well and since it is a stick it's super convenient to reapply and tiny enough to fit in your bag/pocket. Amazon usually has it.

The Shelter Sun Resistant Foundation Face Stick SPF 50 from Vertra

Lightweight, SPF foundation based sunscreen for face. Optimum Broad Spectrum protection against damaging UVA rays and skin burning UVB rays. This formula glides on smoothly and blends into the skin providing superior sun protection without sacrificing that natural look.

If you're near a Sephora, check out the Shiseido sunscreens. Generally speaking, Asian sunscreens tend to be very cosmetically elegant and lightweight. Some of the Shiseido ones also have a high Zinc Oxide percentage, which is definitely a good thing to have! SPF only tells you how much UVB is blocked, but not anything about UVA (which does not burn you but does cause premature aging and skin cancer as they penetrate the skin more deeply than UVB). Zinc Oxide is a very good filter for blocking UVA.

That said, please use a dedicated sunscreen and don't rely on tinted moisturizers or BB cream alone for your sun protection! You need roughly 1/4 a teaspoon of sunscreen on just your face to provide full protection. If you don't use enough, the amount of SPF/PPD you're getting actually goes down pretty dramatically no matter if it's listed as SPF 50+ or not. Most people don't use a full 1/4 tsp of foundation/moisturizer on their face.

I'm a fan of Clinique City Block. What I have is SPF of 25. I'm pretty sure you can get a free sample at Macy's, Bob Ton or Sephora. I think some Ulta stores might stock Clinique, too.

I use aveeno face sunscreen meant for children that comes in stick form. It doesn't run and seems to work well.

I use all Korean and Japanese skincare, (and I have fair Irish skin). I'll echo what a previous poster said, it's just superior in every way. My personal favorite is Amore Pacific Cushion Compact. It has a high SPF and lightweight, buildable coverage. Its $60 at Sephora, but it comes with a refill cushion and lasts forever.

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive facial sunscreen with benefits Hada Labo Tokyo makes a day lotion with SPF 50 that has all sorts of other great benefits. I love it, and its available at Ulta and now Walgreens, for around $15.

Perricone makes a great sunscreen powder too, it comes in a long tube with a big brush on the end. It makes a little bit of a mess in application, but its guaranteed to be matte and not run in your eyes. That is available at Sephora too.

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive facial sunscreen with benefits Hada Labo Tokyo makes a day lotion with SPF 50 that has all sorts of other great benefits. I love it, and its available at Ulta and now Walgreens, for around $15.

Oh, I forgot that Hada Labo put out a line in America! Their Tokyo line sunscreen has Avobenzone in it though. =(

I know some stores like Urban Outfitters (and Sephora) are starting to carry K-Beauty products, although I don't know how great their selection of imported sunscreens is going to be with a lot of the newer, really nice filters still not available for sale in the States.

Last edited:
My wife is partial to the CeraVe sunscreen and the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (although I don't believe this comes with SPF). She is red-headed and fair-skinned and burns extremely quickly.

Oh, I forgot that Hada Labo put out a line in America! Their Tokyo line sunscreen has Avobenzone in it though. =(

I know some stores like Urban Outfitters (and Sephora) are starting to carry K-Beauty products, although I don't know how great their selection of imported sunscreens is going to be with a lot of the newer, really nice filters still not available for sale in the States.

Amazon just started a Korean beauty boutique on their website! It's a whole section in itself, they have all the major K brands like Étude House, Skin Food, and The Face Shop.

In the UK we have a brand called Malibu (not to be confused with the coconut rum!).

They do a spray that you can use on your parting and in your hair in general. It doesn't make hair greasy. I use it on my hair, ears neck and forehead to stop melting when I get hot.

Standard cream for nose and cheeks down

Amazon just started a Korean beauty boutique on their website! It's a whole section in itself, they have all the major K brands like Étude House, Skin Food, and The Face Shop.

I saw that! Just in time for the Prime sale. If only they had Sunkiller, that 130+ SPF sunscreen from Mentholatum, or Canmake's new Mermaid sunscreen... I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're also a member of /r/AsianBeauty?

I use Coola SPF 30. It's organic and stays on my face all day. I'm even able to apply my foundation over it without it being sticky. It dries pretty matte which I love because I hate how sunscreen makes my skin so shiny!

They also sell it as a tinted moisturizer and it is described as a bb cream. I get the bb cream with no tint. It's great for sensitive skin too.

"Protect and boost your skin's defense against aging caused by the sun with this antioxidant-infused, Farm to Face® sourced broad spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen with a refreshing cucumber scent. Designed for all skin types, this non-greasy formula is crafted with 70%+ certified organic ingredients. Organic Evening Primrose and Linseed Oils reduce inflammation, even skin tone, and balance moisture. Safflower Oleosomes provide lasting hydration while the phyto-protector Plankton Extract stimulates and rejuvenates weathered skin. Organic Acai Oil, known for its anti-aging benefits, delivers abundant antioxidants through its Omegas-3/6/9, Vitamins B1/2/3, and Vitamins C and E."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter