• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Facebook pet peeves.

Sharing the ins and outs of a progress report? What are those even? Mini-report cards?

A progress report usually comes out halfway into the mark reporting cycle, as a warning. If your district splits the year into 9 week quarters, the progress report would come at week 4-5. It's telling the parents "YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO FAIL THIS MARKING PERIOD IF YOU DON'T MAKE THEM DO THEIR HOMEWORK!" And then the parents/kids get 4 weeks to shape up.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Maybe, but I'm getting the impression students get both now? IDK, it was just an example, but I am going to have to ask my teacher mom tonight at the kids holiday pageant. Can't wait to see 2 and 4 olds sing and dance...lol.
Yeah I got both Progress Reports and Report Cards. I think I was commenting on the terminology aspect because you said you got report cards every 6 weeks. To us, that was a progress report as your report card was your final grades at the end of the semester.

It was broken up into quarters as well (outside of middle school as ours was trimesters) but I do believe those were still called progress reports to us with the report card being end of the semester type thing.

Most of what Facebook is now is my pet peeve. I used to be on it like a zombie and then after Cambridge Analytica I quit completely for about 9 months. Complete and utter waste of time filled with mostly garbage if you ask me. Now I go one it a couple times a week if that and I only post major events in my life now.

Several of mine have been mentioned already, like vague booking and sharing false info without fact checking.

I like to use Facebook to keep up with people, both those that I know well and especially those that I don't have the opportunity to interact with on a day-to-day basis. But...
-- People who share things ALL the time. I have a couple of people on my feed (usually older) who seem to think that if a meme says "Share this." that it means that you *must.* "Share this is you've ever used a rotary telephone!" "Share if you support our troops." "If you think all children deserve love, share this!" I also have several people on my feed who share their own posts a lot, and I'm not sure why they do that?
-- I have a couple people who go on posting binges, usually about stuff I don't care about. I know one guy who seems to live post when his favorite team is one. I can log on and my whole feed is "OMG! Did you see that? So awesome." and "Are these refs smoking something?" and "Jackson for MVP! Oh yeah!"
-- And finally, and this is reserved for the people that I know pretty well... but when I know the reality does not match the Facebook post. Examples: The friend who is seriously considering leaving her husband who posts "I love him so much." and "My husband is my best friend' posts. The mom I know is having a horrible time with her son -- failing classes, getting into trouble, disrespectful at home -- who posts about what an amazing, kind, generous, thoughtful person he is and how lucky she feels to be his mom. Or, another friend who will brag about her daughter's accomplishments and embellish, embellish, embellish. (Once, she bragged about how amazing her daughter was at track. She's just in awe, etc. She cropped a photo *i* took. In the post, it looks like her daughter came in first place, but really, she was second-to-last. She just cropped out all the other runners who were ahead. Why would she do that?) I don't air my dirty laundry on Facebook either, but I don't lie/fake things. (If it was my son who was being a jerk, I wouldn't necessarily tell everyone on FB about it, but I also wouldn't describe him as the sweetest, kindest, most loving child in the world on Facebook either. There is the option of not saying anything.) Maybe lots of other people flat out lie on FB too, but I don't know them well enough to know that they're lying.

I could unfriend/unfollow these people but all of them do post things that I'm interested in. They just ALSO post stuff I don't like. I wish Facebook would let you set up filter words for posts or something. "If it includes ____, ____, or ___. Hide it."

"Missing my Grandpa so much...he would be 111 today if he hadn't died 20 years ago". Dude was 91 and had a good life!
Ok this one made me giggle.
I hate vague bookers. Just post the issue or shut up. I don't care.
I also hate people who are trying to be influencers. Drives me nuts. I don't want your "encouraging post" and I am NOT going to follow you on ALL your social media platforms so you can 'grow your brand".
My biggest pet peeve are people who only post Bible verses. I am so glad your devotions are helping you, I don't need to hear about it.

Several of mine have been mentioned already, like vague booking and sharing false info without fact checking.

I like to use Facebook to keep up with people, both those that I know well and especially those that I don't have the opportunity to interact with on a day-to-day basis. But...
-- People who share things ALL the time. I have a couple of people on my feed (usually older) who seem to think that if a meme says "Share this." that it means that you *must.* "Share this is you've ever used a rotary telephone!" "Share if you support our troops." "If you think all children deserve love, share this!" I also have several people on my feed who share their own posts a lot, and I'm not sure why they do that?
-- I have a couple people who go on posting binges, usually about stuff I don't care about. I know one guy who seems to live post when his favorite team is one. I can log on and my whole feed is "OMG! Did you see that? So awesome." and "Are these refs smoking something?" and "Jackson for MVP! Oh yeah!"
-- And finally, and this is reserved for the people that I know pretty well... but when I know the reality does not match the Facebook post. Examples: The friend who is seriously considering leaving her husband who posts "I love him so much." and "My husband is my best friend' posts. The mom I know is having a horrible time with her son -- failing classes, getting into trouble, disrespectful at home -- who posts about what an amazing, kind, generous, thoughtful person he is and how lucky she feels to be his mom. Or, another friend who will brag about her daughter's accomplishments and embellish, embellish, embellish. (Once, she bragged about how amazing her daughter was at track. She's just in awe, etc. She cropped a photo *i* took. In the post, it looks like her daughter came in first place, but really, she was second-to-last. She just cropped out all the other runners who were ahead. Why would she do that?) I don't air my dirty laundry on Facebook either, but I don't lie/fake things. (If it was my son who was being a jerk, I wouldn't necessarily tell everyone on FB about it, but I also wouldn't describe him as the sweetest, kindest, most loving child in the world on Facebook either. There is the option of not saying anything.) Maybe lots of other people flat out lie on FB too, but I don't know them well enough to know that they're lying.

I could unfriend/unfollow these people but all of them do post things that I'm interested in. They just ALSO post stuff I don't like. I wish Facebook would let you set up filter words for posts or something. "If it includes ____, ____, or ___. Hide it."

My mil shares all those “if you love your grandchild with all your heart” posts. Usually with the heading “this is so true”.

I do laugh when that occasional pop-up in FB asks for my cell phone # "in order to make your profile MORE secure"......ummmm no thanks. Giving MORE personal data to FB or any online website simply puts your information in one location that makes identity theft more lucrative for the next group who hacks their database.

My boys actually got a nice note from their uncle (wife's side of the family) who said that even though he's far away, thanks to Facebook, he's enjoyed keeping up with what's going on in their lives. To me, that's the one benefit of Facebook - the ability for those who wouldn't normally be able to keep in touch very well to get updates on family and friends in different areas.
I agree. I have an elderly aunt that I don't get to see very often. She doesn't have FB but her adult children do and they show her posts and pictures from relatives.

Bragging in general. We have a family friend who just got married. His wife is the biggest bragger.

Self-righteous “lectures” telling others how to feel or behave... Especially if it’s in regards to anything political.
I turn off notifications for those who frequently preach a point of view that seems to stress me out.

Isn't that what you're doing?
Not at all, my reply wasn't a complaint. It's a "pet peeve". I never complain about people complaining about people lol :) You know, the freedom of speech yada yada. My pet peeve is the actual post like "OMG, Suzie is so mean" or "My boss is such a jerk" etc. etc. Hope I cleared that up for ya.

You never had progress reports growing up?

That was very common in my schooling days. Heck in elementary school and middle school we had to have our parents sign off on them a lot of times.

I don't remember in elementary, but in junior and senior high we received "interim reports" halfway through each of the four marking periods. I'm not sure if they needed to be signed by parents and returned. We'd bring them from class to class and the teacher would have us do some busy work while he/she filled them out with a grade and any comments.

I don't remember in elementary, but in junior and senior high we received "interim reports" halfway through each of the four marking periods. I'm not sure if they needed to be signed by parents and returned. We'd bring them from class to class and the teacher would have us do some busy work while he/she filled them out with a grade and any comments.

When I was in high school, interim progress reports were only given to students who were failing or in danger of failing a class. I guess so there were no surprises when the reports cards came out.

I do Facebook because I despise phone calls and I have people I care about who are half a world away from me.

That said, my profile is locked down as far as it can go... you can't search for me on Facebook, only Friends of Friends can attempt to send a friend request, the only person that can post on my wall is *me*, etc. Every friend I have I have placed on the Block App Invites so I never see the stupid games/quizzes they play. I make liberal use of the Snooze for 30 days function for my more obnoxious Friends.

One thing Facebook does very well is showing you how racist, sexist, homophobic, or just how terrible in general the people in your life really are. It has let me cut several people in my life *out* of my life with no regrets, once I saw how awful they actually were. (When people show you who they really are, believe them.)

Virtue-signalling. When people make empty vacuous expressions of piety, particularly on issues such as social and environmental.

I always post the same response to these people: "Matthew 6:5; read it, try living it."

Last edited:
When I was in high school, interim progress reports were only given to students who were failing or in danger of failing a class. I guess so there were no surprises when the reports cards came out.

I asked my mom about it - she's been teaching for 40+ years and obviously raised me. There were every 6 week report cards when I was growing up and the only progress reports were handed out to kids who were behind; now they give them to every kid and the grading period is longer. So, I wasn't crazy to not be aware that it was a thing. I'm not good at many things, but school was one so I never got a progress report.

I asked my mom about it - she's been teaching for 40+ years and obviously raised me. There were every 6 week report cards when I was growing up and the only progress reports were handed out to kids who were behind; now they give them to every kid and the grading period is longer. So, I wasn't crazy to not be aware that it was a thing. I'm not good at many things, but school was one so I never got a progress report.

How many marking periods were there?

We have quarters which are approximately 10 weeks long. Progress reports were issued 5 weeks after the report card. Our MS and HS recently did away with progress reports because the parent portal is supposed to be updated in real time. Unfortunately not all teachers do it. But that's a whole different complaint.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter