Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

What size Uber for 2 adults, one child, 3 suitcases and 3 carryons?

Thank you!
My trip in June was me, DH and DGD with the same exact inventory. We used Lyft Plus (Same as Uber XL) to go from WDW to Universal and Universal to MCO
I remember debating with myself and deciding that I would worry if we'd fit in some of the cars we'd usually ride in. Several of those standard cars would not hold 3 full size suitcases easily. Rather that worry or struggle to make it fit I just opted to use the bigger vehicle just to not have to worry about it. We had more room than we needed but it was better than not having enough room or being tight

Honestly, looking back over my history, even when DH and I are alone, if we have checked size bags, we call for the size up vehicle. Carry on only we'll do standard.

How long would it take to get to Disney Springs and Typhoon Lagoon from the Polynesian using Uber?

First of all, I really appreciate having actual Uber and Lyft drivers on this forum taking the time to answer questions! I have recently had multiple issues in large cities - Chicago and Boston - ordering both Uber XL and Lyft Plus vehicles for 5 people, but when the driver shows up their vehicle will not accommodate more than 4 people. One driver in Chicago told us she was not an XL driver and had no idea why she got the pick up. It has been very frustrating.
I am traveling to Disney next month and plan to use Lyft for travel between resorts for reservations. I will again have 5 people - 4 adults, one child - and am concerned about this happening again. Have any of you seen this in Orlando? I have spoken to people at both Uber and Lyft about it but did not get much of a response as to why it was happening.

First of all, I really appreciate having actual Uber and Lyft drivers on this forum taking the time to answer questions! I have recently had multiple issues in large cities - Chicago and Boston - ordering both Uber XL and Lyft Plus vehicles for 5 people, but when the driver shows up their vehicle will not accommodate more than 4 people. One driver in Chicago told us she was not an XL driver and had no idea why she got the pick up. It has been very frustrating.
I am traveling to Disney next month and plan to use Lyft for travel between resorts for reservations. I will again have 5 people - 4 adults, one child - and am concerned about this happening again. Have any of you seen this in Orlando? I have spoken to people at both Uber and Lyft about it but did not get much of a response as to why it was happening.
It's hard to figure out why that happened, but if it has happened multiple times it may be something about how you are ordering the ride.

The displays the apps give you vary from market to market because different classes of service are offered in different markets, so what I'm going to tell you may not be 100% accurate for the Orlando market. If I make a mistake, hopefully Joel (who drives in Orlando) will correct it.

On the Lyft rider app, there is a pretty straightforward list of vehicle types, showing how many riders they seat and how far away they are. Other than you accidentally touching the wrong class, I don't know how your ride type could get messed up. Unless...Lyft didn't have any Plus vehicles available, sent you a regular vehicle and hoped for the best. I have not heard of them doing that, but if indeed you ordered Plus it should not be possible for the ride to go to a smaller vehicle. Just keep in mind that Plus and Premium are NOT the same thing, and a Premium request may very well dispatch a smaller car.

On the Uber app, you see a couple of choices across the bottom of the app and you have to scroll right to left to see the other choices. In my market, Uber XL is all the way over -- the last option. Again, if you selected the right class of service, it should not be possible for you to get anything less. With Uber, remember that only LuxSUV or BlackSUV are the same size vehicles as XL. Those three will carry 5-6; anything else will not.

On those rides where you got the wrong car, go back through your ride history and be sure you were NOT charged cancellation fees when the wrong vehicle showed up. If you were, that's not your fault, so ask the company to refund the cancellation fee and they will.

We have requested larger vehicles with both Uber and Lyft in Orlando several times and have never not gotten the proper size vehicle. It is very clear and easy to select the service size you need on their apps. They make it clear how many can be seated in the vehicle when you select it so it shouldn't be incorrect
With both services they tell you the vehicle that is coming. You can know right then if it will fit your group, or not and plan accordingly to accept or not if it's not the right vehicle for that service size.
Are you saying that it didn't do that? Or that a different vehicle came than the one that showed on the app?

We have requested larger vehicles with both Uber and Lyft in Orlando several times and have never not gotten the proper size vehicle. It is very clear and easy to select the service size you need on their apps. They make it clear how many can be seated in the vehicle when you select it so it shouldn't be incorrect
With both services they tell you the vehicle that is coming. You can know right then if it will fit your group, or not and plan accordingly to accept or not if it's not the right vehicle for that service size.
Are you saying that it didn't do that? Or that a different vehicle came than the one that showed on the app?

The issue is definitely not user error. As AngiTN notes, it's very easy to select the size vehicle you need for your group size. In a couple of cases, i was simply not familiar enough with the type of vehicle that was sent for me to know if it would hold my group or not. On a few occasions, we knew that the vehicle type was not large enough and we cancelled before they arrived. I have never been charged a cancellation fee. However, Uber did charge me once for an XL when the car that arrived was not an XL and the driver confirmed that she was not considered XL (we just took 2 separate rides on that occasion). They did eventually refund me the difference but it took multiple emails for that to happen.
I am glad to hear that this doesn't seem to be an issue in Orlando. I will cross my fingers and see what happens!

My granddaughter and I need to be at the Magic Kingdom at 8:20 am for breakfast at royal table. At what time should I request an Uber car to be sure to make it on time? Also, do Uber drivers find using the "bubble bum" acceptable for a 5 year old?

Oops forgot to mention - we are staying at OKW. Can Uber pick up at our building or do we need to go to the main building?

We stayed at OKW last year... I would allow yourself 30 minutes for the journey and probably another 30 at least to get through security.

When we booked last year the Uber came to our building - it comes to where ever you are when you book I believe so once you've ordered it, don't move!!

We stayed at OKW last year... I would allow yourself 30 minutes for the journey and probably another 30 at least to get through security.

When we booked last year the Uber came to our building - it comes to where ever you are when you book I believe so once you've ordered it, don't move!!

Thank you!! Wow...had no idea security would be that much of a hassle.

At that time of day, with lots of people from buses and cars arriving at once, it can get pretty emotional...

is that a nice way of saying "shoving and pushing"?
I really don't know what to expect...I've read different things...like "go early - it isn't crowded" and "be prepared because folks are lined up runners and will charge as soon as the rope drops".

I am going to be in a time crunch September 10th going from EPCOT to Disney Springs to go see The Wrath of Kahn.

Is the Uber pick-up by the busses at EPCOT?

And can Uber drop me off close to the theater to minimize the time walking?

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter