Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I updated my Uber app in case that was necessary for tipping. Using Uber tomorrow; might as well let the driver get the double tip.
You are the BEST Aunt! Those poor drivers in Orlando drive for something like 45 cents per mile (IRS figures it costs you 53.5 cents to drive your car). They have the lowest rates in the country (our Miami rates are 50 % higher than Orlando's). They deserve your support!

Has anyone noticed any changes to Uber/Lyft now that Minnie Van's are here (at least in test mode)?
I agree with Angie, it will have no effect. First of all, there is nothing Uber/Lyft can do in response. But secondly, the MV thing is going to be so limited, I don't think it will affect the rideshare companies.

It will be kind of like the Express Lanes on our expressways. Those who want to pay more will do so.

Folks who want to Uber offsite for better food and shopping, with more variety and lower prices...will do so.

What types of changes would you think there could be? Shouldn't have any impact. Minnie Vans uses are much more limited
Types of changes could include:

An outright ban on Uber/Lyft. WDW is private property and they could do this.

Economic sanctions, such as charging parking fees to enter parks and/or resorts

Service slow down, require them to show identification of driver and/or passengers each time they enter a resort or park.

Etc...

Service slow down, require them to show identification of driver and/or passengers each time they enter a resort or park.

Etc...
Sure, theoretically they could do most of that...:rolleyes:

But what on earth would be the possible benefit to Disney of doing that?

More people using Minnie Van's which let's Disney capture more of that income?
  • And the thousands of offsite guests who Uber to WDW every day? Or want to dine at one of the resort restaurants?
  • The onsite guests who prefer Uber to DME from the airport?
  • Onsite guests who want to Uber back to the resort mid-day for a nap rather than waste 2 hours busing?
Disney's challenge will be keeping up with the demand for Minnie-vans, NOT fighting off Uber/Lyft, et al.

Etc...
They will not ban Uber or Lyft
I really wish people would just think for a minute and they'd realize all the reasons why

1, Minnie Vans don't go off property. Uber and Lyft do. Unless Disney plans to ban guests from leaving. Which is ridiculous. Not everyone off site rents a car. Plus, what about local guests who want to come and have a drink and not drive home? Of course they will continue to allow Uber and Lyft to operate

2, they don't have enough Minnie Vans to fill the need of every Uber and Lyft vehicle in use in property. Minnie Vans only fill the need of the Plus size or XL and then it can't possibly be all of those.

3. Minnie Vans don't operate 24 hours a day

Any one of those things tells you they have no interest in making this replace Uber/Lyft

It just takes using common sense to figure it out

They do not

Thanks! Good to know. We have our 3 yr old niece with us and was considering occasional Lyft rides. Especially with their promo for new users that sound perfect for short trips across property. With no carseat, that option is off the table.

This now leads me to wonder whether Lyft will default to Minnie Vans for trips within WDW property, and if so, whether the app will allow riders to override that and request a Lyft or Lyft Plus vehicle.

BTW, Lyft has informed drivers that they will be switching to up-front pricing in Orlando, as Uber did a few months ago.
I can't imagine that Lyft will make all riders use Lyft Plus size vehicles. Surely this is a type of service category all on it's own
Lyft, Lyft Plus, Minnie Van. Sort of like Uber has Uber, Uber XL and Uber Family (or however the category is, I haven't used it)
Minnie Van will only show up as an option on property
Now, it may well give you Minnie Vans as the first choice if it's within operating hours, you select Lyft Plus service option and you are on Disney property, and your destination is Disney property.
I don't see it limiting you to that option though. I could be wrong of course.
And obviously it won't be an option if your destination isn't on property

'Twould be awesome if Disney allowed Lyft into MK & FtW, but Uber might mount a legal challenge.
As they should!
Besides, I don't foresee any changes to where Uber and Lyft get to drop off at MK.
They will allow Minnie Vans to drop off at MK as they are Disney vehicles and Disney employees. Uber/Lyft vehicles and drivers are not.

I inadvertently omitted
'Twould be awesome if Disney allowed Lyft into MK & FtW, but Uber might mount a legal challenge.
More importantly, riders would choose a less expensive Lyft ride over Disney's Minnie-van. Allowing Lyft those privileges would hurt Disney.

I wonder if Lyft and Minnie Lyft's will share the same pickup/dropoff locations.
No. The Minnie-vans will have access that rideshares do not because the drivers are Disney employees. One good example is CSR where the vans will be able to go through the unmanned gates to pick up/drop off right at your door, but Uber/Lyft cannot.

People are all wrapped up in the fact that Disney is using Lyft's app to request the cars. It's not making Minnie Vans a Lyft service. It's just using the app. The 2 are not the same thing. They are smart to let someone else develop the app and "ride along". App development is not their strong suit. Glad they've realized that, for once.

People are all wrapped up in the fact that Disney is using Lyft's app to request the cars. It's not making Minnie Vans a Lyft service. It's just using the app. The 2 are not the same thing. They are smart to let someone else develop the app and "ride along". App development is not their strong suit. Glad they've realized that, for once.
Yes, but this could be the beginning of some sort of partnership, which could lead to each funneling business to the other. Giving Lyft preferential treatment could conceivably be part of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!