Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

We will be renting a scooter that disassembles to fit in a personal vehicle. Will that be possible if we want to use Uber?
Sure, it's possible...subject to a number of caveats.

First, you have to consider your entire party -- not just the scooter. So if you have luggage, shopping treasures, too many people, need a car seat for a child, etc, any of those things could change the whole equation.

Second, we have one of those for Grandma, and I can tell you that even the small ones are very heavy. It is quite possible to hurt yourself lifting it into a car -- both DW and I have strained our backs more than once. A driver may not be able, or willing, to help load the scooter into their car. They may also be concerned that loading it might cause damage to their car. A driver would be well within their rights to say no for either reason.

My suggestion is this. IF you decide to use Uber, place your ride request -- and as soon as a driver accepts, call the driver and explain the situation. If the driver is not comfortable with the scooter, YOU cancel the ride immediately. If the driver does not speak English or does not understand what you're telling them, YOU cancel immediately. Under the new rules, you have only two minutes to cancel without a cancellation fee. I'm quite confident that if you get charged and explain to Uber about the phone call, they will refund the fee ($5). They're not going to penalize a customer for being conscientious...but don't push your luck.

In a few markets, Uber has a service called Uber Assist for customers with special medical needs, but I don't believe Assist is available in the Orlando market.

In a few markets, Uber has a service called Uber Assist for customers with special medical needs, but I don't believe Assist is available in the Orlando market.
Boy are they missing an opportunity in Orlando. As many ECV users, and seniors as they have. It would likely be popular

Boy are they missing an opportunity in Orlando. As many ECV users, and seniors as they have. It would likely be popular
I think the problem has been getting drivers to agree to sign up for Assist -- some because of the extra time involved, and the smart ones who realize the risk involved. I'm an EMT and I wouldn't do it because of the liability. But we don't have it in Miami anyway.

Second, we have one of those for Grandma, and I can tell you that even the small ones are very heavy. It is quite possible to hurt yourself lifting it into a car -- both DW and I have strained our backs more than once.

And you don't want to hurt your back while you're at Disney World. That could ruin your vacation -- and cause long-term back problems which you really don't want.

I think the problem has been getting drivers to agree to sign up for Assist -- some because of the extra time involved, and the smart ones who realize the risk involved. I'm an EMT and I wouldn't do it because of the liability. But we don't have it in Miami anyway.
Yes, and I believe that under ADA, they cannot charge extra for this service. If Uber can't charge extra, they're not going to pay the drivers extra out of their own corporate pockets. The only reason to sign up would be pure altruism.

Yes, and I believe that under ADA, they cannot charge extra for this service. If Uber can't charge extra, they're not going to pay the drivers extra out of their own corporate pockets. The only reason to sign up would be pure altruism.
Uber does not charge extra for the service. They DO pay Assist drivers 10% more via a lowered Uber commission.

Are the tolls included in those price quotes to or from MCO?
Yes, but keep in mind that any fare estimate is just that -- an estimate. The much more accurate price is what you see on your app just before you request the ride -- that is the fare you will pay.

On tolls, Uber and Lyft add the SunPass toll amount (which is discounted) to your fare and bill it to your credit card. The toll is actually paid by the driver's SunPass, and the driver gets a straight pass-through of the toll. So you get the toll at a discounted price, the driver loses nothing, and Uber makes nothing on the toll.

First, you have to consider your entire party -- not just the scooter. So if you have luggage, shopping treasures, too many people, need a car seat for a child, etc, any of those things could change the whole equation.

Second, we have one of those for Grandma, and I can tell you that even the small ones are very heavy. It is quite possible to hurt yourself lifting it into a car -- both DW and I have strained our backs more than once. A driver may not be able, or willing, to help load the scooter into their car. They may also be concerned that loading it might cause damage to their car. A driver would be well within their rights to say no for either reason.

My suggestion is this. IF you decide to use Uber, place your ride request -- and as soon as a driver accepts, call the driver and explain the situation. If the driver is not comfortable with the scooter, YOU cancel the ride immediately. If the driver does not speak English or does not understand what you're telling them, YOU cancel immediately. Under the new rules, you have only two minutes to cancel without a cancellation fee. I'm quite confident that if you get charged and explain to Uber about the phone call, they will refund the fee ($5). They're not going to penalize a customer for being conscientious...but don't push your luck.

We will have a strapping 16 yr old who is more than capable of lifting the parts into the vehicle - heaviest piece is supposed to be @ 40lbs. Good advice about calling the driver upon acceptance. Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

I read that you can tip in the Uber app in Orlando. Does anybody know if you can tip in the app in other parts of the country?

Edit- Just got an email from uber saying in-app tipping is working throughout the US and tomorrow (Tuesday) they will match the tips.

Last edited:
I read that you can tip in the Uber app in Orlando. Does anybody know if you can tip in the app in other parts of the country?
I know it's rolling out slowly around the country. So the answer will be maybe depending on where you are and when you are there

ETA saw on the app that tomorrow, 7/18, they are going to match tips to celebrate rolling out tipping nationwide. So must have reached everywhere now

I know it's rolling out slowly around the country. So the answer will be maybe depending on where you are and when you are there

ETA saw on the app that tomorrow, 7/18, they are going to match tips to celebrate rolling out tipping nationwide. So must have reached everywhere now
Screenshot_2017-07-17-13-24-01_resized.png

I don't know whether it's nationwide, but it's live in Miami AND ORLANDO.

I don't know whether it's nationwide, but it's live in Miami AND ORLANDO.
National launch should mean nation wide, no?

And it's here for my local rides. I was checking for the PP to see what was available here when I saw that announcement.

Has anyone noticed any changes to Uber/Lyft now that Minnie Van's are here (at least in test mode)?

Has anyone noticed any changes to Uber/Lyft now that Minnie Van's are here (at least in test mode)?
What types of changes would you think there could be? Shouldn't have any impact. Minnie Vans uses are much more limited

I updated my Uber app in case that was necessary for tipping. Using Uber tomorrow; might as well let the driver get the double tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter