Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I need to uber/lyft/taxi from HS to GF for an ADR, will there be taxi's outside the gate or should I just arrange for uber/lyft ride? There will be 5 in our group btw
Generally, taxis do not take 5 passengers, although I believe Mears may have larger vehicles available. You'd have to check with them, and it would probably be expensive.

With 5 people, you will need either Uber XL or Lyft Plus which seat six. You could also order two cars, but in the Orlando market I'm pretty sure that would cost more than one XL/Plus.

But why would you not just take the free Disney bus?

I need to uber/lyft/taxi from HS to GF for an ADR, will there be taxi's outside the gate or should I just arrange for uber/lyft ride? There will be 5 in our group btw
There should be taxis, but you will need a van. DHS has the smallest taxi stand of all the parks; I don't know whether there will be a taxi van waiting. FYI, taxi vans charge exactly the same rate as sedans.

For 5 riders on a ride-sharing service, you will need to request an UberXL or Lyft Plus. They do cost about 50% more than the basic services, but still cheaper than a taxi.

I've never used lyft or uber, and don't really want to have to, but it appears that the buses are now only running 45 minutes before park opening, and we have an early breakfast ADR at another resort. There's no way we could bus from our resort to a park to our ADR resort and find the restaurant in less than 15 minutes. :( Frustrating, as they advertised breakfast transit to me when reserving.

So, I'm wondering, which service is easier to use in scheduling a pickup? More reliable? Which app (phone with a fast draining battery and very little space) is most intuitive and uses the least amount of space? Only ever used a cab once, and it showed up almost 45 minutes late- so really nervous about trying something new in a new place so early in the morning. Compared fare calculators and it appears that Lyft would be significantly cheaper (by over $10) but I don't know how accurate those are. Everyone on these boards makes it out to be a very affordable option, but I'm skeptical as we will be traveling early and in peak season.

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you in advance. All the drivers on here seem really kind so that is reassuring.

POFQ to AKL (Jambo House?)- arriving by 7:10 a.m. as we need to find BOMA (first time visitors to that area) for a 7:30 reservation.
First, who told you buses are only running 45 min before park opening? I'd question that source first

After that, no way is Lyft $10 cheaper than Uber because neither should even be $10 total. Unless you are looking at a higher class of service or something. Or Family with car seat. How many is in your group? Any under 6? How many if yes?

You won't need to schedule anything, you just get on the app and request a car when you are ready to depart. From FQ, we request one as we walk past the pool and the car will get there minutes after we walk out of the Lobby. Typical response time for both services is about in 5 min, or less. They really are the same service wise. If you need a car seat your only option is Uber, Lyft doesn't have a car seat option. Right now, Lyft is the only one that allows you to tip via the app though that is in the process of changing and eventually it will be possible with Uber. This will make them have even less of a difference to me.

I don't think the size will vary between the apps. I keep location services off on all apps, never letting them run in the background, only choosing the options that allow it to run only when using the app. If the app doesn't have that option, I turn it off/on when I need it manually. You won't believe how much this will save your battery.

As for finding Boma, you won't need 1 min for that. Walk in the lobby, down stairs to the 1st floor on the elevator and you are there.

First, who told you buses are only running 45 min before park opening? I'd question that source first

After that, no way is Lyft $10 cheaper than Uber because neither should even be $10 total. Unless you are looking at a higher class of service or something. Or Family with car seat. How many is in your group? Any under 6? How many if yes?

You won't need to schedule anything, you just get on the app and request a car when you are ready to depart. From FQ, we request one as we walk past the pool and the car will get there minutes after we walk out of the Lobby. Typical response time for both services is about in 5 min, or less. They really are the same service wise. If you need a car seat your only option is Uber, Lyft doesn't have a car seat option. Right now, Lyft is the only one that allows you to tip via the app though that is in the process of changing and eventually it will be possible with Uber. This will make them have even less of a difference to me.

I don't think the size will vary between the apps. I keep location services off on all apps, never letting them run in the background, only choosing the options that allow it to run only when using the app. If the app doesn't have that option, I turn it off/on when I need it manually. You won't believe how much this will save your battery.

As for finding Boma, you won't need 1 min for that. Walk in the lobby, down stairs to the 1st floor on the elevator and you are there.

The Disney website did... https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/bus-transportation/

"Getting to Disney Theme and Water Parks from a Disney Resort Hotel
Bus service from Disney Resort hotels begins 45 minutes prior to park opening and ends 1 hour prior to park closing.
Return service to Disney Resort hotels ends 2 hours after park closing."

As far as pricing, I used the company's official websites for quotes. Don't know what to tell you, but neither was under $10. We are a party of two.

I need to have it scheduled. I won't be able to relax if it isn't. As far as finding Boma, hopefully you are correct. It takes me longer to find places sometimes, and I like to give myself time so I don't worry.

The Disney website did... https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/bus-transportation/

"Getting to Disney Theme and Water Parks from a Disney Resort Hotel
Bus service from Disney Resort hotels begins 45 minutes prior to park opening and ends 1 hour prior to park closing.
Return service to Disney Resort hotels ends 2 hours after park closing."

As far as pricing, I used the company's official websites for quotes. Don't know what to tell you, but neither was under $10. We are a party of two.

I need to have it scheduled. I won't be able to relax if it isn't. As far as finding Boma, hopefully you are correct. It takes me longer to find places sometimes, and I like to give myself time so I don't worry.
The website is wrong, as it often is. They run much earlier than that. But, when going from Resort to Resort, we never take buses. We always take Uber/Lyft. It's just too hard to do buses resort to resort. Plus, it takes so long. When you have to be somewhere early, why spend an hour traveling when you can spend $5 and save an hour.

You have to have entered something wrong on the websites. I've taken Lyft/Uber from FQ to everywhere on property during several stays. It was no where near $10.

upload_2017-7-10_9-55-46.png
upload_2017-7-10_9-57-55.png

Lyft median price is $1 less than Uber; both are just over $10.

Uber does tend to be slightly higher, because they have decoupled their fares from actual time and mileage. They are now based on Uber's estimate of time and mileage, which seem to be on the generous side in favor of Uber. They've also just recently increased their "Booking Fee" by $0.50; Lyft hasn't matched that increase yet.

Last edited:
POFQ to AKL (Jambo House?)- arriving by 7:10 a.m. as we need to find BOMA (first time visitors to that area) for a 7:30 reservation.
As I said above, the only accurate estimate you will get is to have both apps on your phone and check right before you submit your ride request. Anything else is meaningless.

I checked RideGuru and got $9.30 for Lyft and $9.72 for Uber X, so as you can see the prices are all over the place.

A taxi, incidentally, was $24.19 according to RideGuru.

Also, for planning purposes, it's 7.1 miles and an estimated drive time of 13 minutes according to RideGuru.

If Joel thinks differently, he has a much better sense of timing because he drives there.

Last edited:

The website is wrong, as it often is. They run much earlier than that. But, when going from Resort to Resort, we never take buses. We always take Uber/Lyft. It's just too hard to do buses resort to resort. Plus, it takes so long. When you have to be somewhere early, why spend an hour traveling when you can spend $5 and save an hour.

You have to have entered something wrong on the websites. I've taken Lyft/Uber from FQ to everywhere on property during several stays. It was no where near $10.

If we can't trust the website of the company whose property we're visiting... who can we trust? I'm sorry, but I don't know how to process that. As for prices, they vary by when you run them, so my results were higher the first time I did it then they are for right now. But yes, as previous posters have noted- prices are not as low as they may have been for you, if these are accurate. As another poster noted, these may be inaccurate as it is very much a "time and place" estimate.

1.JPG 2.JPG

The inclusive transit is a primary reason we are choosing to visit Disney. It bums me out that it isn't as advertised, but I am dealing with it. I understand why some people prefer this route, it is just not my preference to spend on this. I am also going to need to convince my partner into doing this- when I presented him with the option earlier he very much wanted to use the bus. Now that the bus is not an option, we have to eat this cost somewhere else. It will be fine, I just needed some guidance. Honestly I feel like you think I'm just being ignorant- but that is not the case and I am getting confused by your responses. I got the answer I needed from the other poster, so it's cool.

It was no where near $10.
Things are slowly changing, and both companies are finding ways to charge more for their services. Any time you see taxi fares 2 1/2 times higher than rideshare, that's just ridiculous and will not last...even in a very low-fare market like Orlando.

For most rides around WDW, I would plan on more like $10-$12.

The inclusive transit is a primary reason we are choosing to visit Disney. It bums me out that it isn't as advertised, but I am dealing with it.
Disney's bus service is very good, but it's not 24/7. It's also not a full recliner seat for every passenger...lol!

I think Angi is correct in saying that the website is not always accurate. I would wait until you get to PORFQ and check with the staff there and find out what time the buses actually start. The CMs will have a much better idea than the website. And -- worst case scenario -- what happens if you are 10 minutes late for your ADR? Nothing. Rest assured they will still take your money! Disney is not in the business of turning customers away -- they'll get you in.

I would wait until you get to PORFQ and check with the staff there and find out what time the buses actually start. The CMs will have a much better idea than the website.
Actually, resort cm's only parrot what's on the website. They don't usually receive any training on transportation.

The most reliable source for transportation information (and rumors ;) ) is a bus driver. This board is a close 2nd.

Actually, resort cm's only parrot what's on the website. They don't usually receive any training on transportation.

The most reliable source for transportation information (and rumors ;) ) is a bus driver.
This mirrors what I learned on my first visit. I went to the desk to ask about a breakfast adr and was given misinformation. We waited over an hour and were late to our adr, but a kind bus driver did try to help us get there close to on time. The restaurant was kind of snooty about us being late and I wanted to avoid a similar experience. Maybe I will try to ask a bus driver the day before-they were the nicest people in property! :)

Last edited:
View attachment 251561
View attachment 251563

Lyft median price is $1 less than Uber; both are just over $10.

Uber does tend to be slightly higher, because they have decoupled their fares from actual time and mileage. They are now based on Uber's estimate of time and mileage, which seem to be on the generous side in favor of Uber. They've also just recently increased their "Booking Fee" by $0.50; Lyft hasn't matched that increase yet.

As I said above, the only accurate estimate you will get is to have both apps on your phone and check right before you submit your ride request. Anything else is meaningless.

I checked RideGuru and got $9.30 for Lyft and $9.72 for Uber X, so as you can see the prices are all over the place.

A taxi, incidentally, was $24.19 according to RideGuru.

Also, for planning purposes, it's 7.1 miles and an estimated drive time of 13 minutes according to RideGuru.

If Joel thinks differently, he has a much better sense of timing because he drives there.

If we can't trust the website of the company whose property we're visiting... who can we trust? I'm sorry, but I don't know how to process that. As for prices, they vary by when you run them, so my results were higher the first time I did it then they are for right now. But yes, as previous posters have noted- prices are not as low as they may have been for you, if these are accurate. As another poster noted, these may be inaccurate as it is very much a "time and place" estimate.

View attachment 251579 View attachment 251580

The inclusive transit is a primary reason we are choosing to visit Disney. It bums me out that it isn't as advertised, but I am dealing with it. I understand why some people prefer this route, it is just not my preference to spend on this. I am also going to need to convince my partner into doing this- when I presented him with the option earlier he very much wanted to use the bus. Now that the bus is not an option, we have to eat this cost somewhere else. It will be fine, I just needed some guidance. Honestly I feel like you think I'm just being ignorant- but that is not the case and I am getting confused by your responses. I got the answer I needed from the other poster, so it's cool.

Sorry, no experience with any fare quoting services. Never used it. No experience with how accurate they are.
I have however, used the services. A lot. And know what I paid. That is what I'm reporting on. Real live experiences. And it's fairly recent, we were there for 10 days in late May, early June and used it at least once a day. Take that for what it's worth. I was only trying to be helpful.

Disney's buses are great for getting you to their parks. That's their primary goal. They start at 6:30, no matter what the website or anyone at the resort tells you. The roll out and start running to parks at 6:30. Will that get you to your ADR at another resort on time? No idea. It's a pain in the hind quarters to go from resort to resort using Disney transportation. It does not provide that particular part of transportation. You must go via a park. That will add a lot of time. About an hour to be safe, since you don't know how long you will have to wait on each bus. In your case this will cut you quite close and probably not worth the risk.

Last edited:
I am also going to need to convince my partner into doing this- when I presented him with the option earlier he very much wanted to use the bus. Now that the bus is not an option, we have to eat this cost somewhere else.
I have to laugh at myself here. We are all so busy trying to answer your questions based on what we know best -- we missed the most important thing. You are going from RESORT to RESORT. There are no resort to resort buses.

Oh well, at least that solves your partner's concern!

I have to laugh at myself here. We are all so busy trying to answer your questions based on what we know best -- we missed the most important thing. You are going from RESORT to RESORT. There are no resort to resort buses.

Oh well, at least that solves your partner's concern!
Oh, I knew this ;) That's why I was asking. Bus we'd need to go POFQ-AK-AKL.
However, with a lyft/uber we can go directly there. The issue is buses may not start running until 7:15 (though if it's 6:30 it would work) and the ADR is at 7:30. There's no way we'd make it.

Oh, I knew this ;) That's why I was asking. Bus we'd need to go POFQ-AK-AKL.
However, with a lyft/uber we can go directly there. The issue is buses may not start running until 7:15 (though if it's 6:30 it would work) and the ADR is at 7:30. There's no way we'd make it.
Even starting at 6:30, I wouldn't trust Disney Transport for a 7:30 meal. Usual advice is to allow 90 minutes traveling between resorts.

Even starting at 6:30, I wouldn't trust Disney Transport for a 7:30 meal. Usual advice is to allow 90 minutes traveling between resorts.
Nope, me either. Not and be comfortable about it. It may be ok but it may not be. Just too risky, too much out of your control since you never know how long you'll be waiting for a bus for AKL when you get to whatever park it is that shows up first. I'd be nervous, on edge the whole time.

I like requesting an uber or hopping in a cab which is already at a hotel. I prefer this to scheduling a ride. I personally stress more about a scheduled ride failing to show up. And if I had to get from one resort to another, i would Uber rather than hoping that a bus would show up when I expect it to. Or wait for the bus with a back-up plan of requesting an Uber if the bus didn't show up when I thought it should.

Last edited:
We will be renting a scooter that disassembles to fit in a personal vehicle. Will that be possible if we want to use Uber?

We will be renting a scooter that disassembles to fit in a personal vehicle. Will that be possible if we want to use Uber?
I opted not to use Uber when I rented one for my Mom. I wasn't comfortable taking it apart or loading it and didn't want to put it on the driver to do it. We used a taxi that was handicapped accessible instead and relied on buses more. If you are more comfortable with the ECV use you may be more comfortable taking it apart and loading it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter