Epcot Spine and Entrance Project

My first reaction after reading the blog post is thank goodness they're finally redoing the park entrance. The Leave a Legacy monoliths have been an eyesore for years.

I was APALLED the first time I saw Leave a Legacy. Normally the park entrance is not a super big deal to me but WOW I could not believe they installed those. I am thrilled they will be leaving.

I see a playground, a nice garden area and a mystery building. I see nothing to get excited about YET.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. So far there doesn't seem to be anything to get excited about. In fact, Club Cool going away hurts since its a tradition for my family and I to stop there and get a Frozen Coke when we are leaving Innovations and headed to World Showcase. And, that area behind Club Cool is where we take a quiet rest break.

The way I see it, those buildings have been mostly empty for years. Instead of trying to fill them, and add plenty of attractions, Disney is going to get rid of one and part of another. I call that a net loss in my book.

I also wonder what the premise of Epcot is. Has that ever been mentioned?

I still don't think Disney knows what to do with the area of Epcot outside of the World Showcase.

Last edited:
This quote is from the above post:

"One of the specifics that wasn’t discussed was what would happen to the granite monoliths that they are currently displayed on. It turns out that the future of Epcot doesn’t include moving those monoliths."

This wasn't what I was expecting and it doesn't seem like you can see those in the concept art. Also, it would seem like the monoliths would need a lot of refurbishing if you just pulled the photos off of them.

Is this blog post mistaken?

"One of the specifics that wasn’t discussed was what would happen to the granite monoliths that they are currently displayed on. It turns out that the future of Epcot doesn’t include moving those monoliths."

This wasn't what I was expecting and it doesn't seem like you can see those in the concept art. Also, it would seem like the monoliths would need a lot of refurbishing if you just pulled the photos off of them.

I believe they are referring to the pictures. The pictures will be moved to a new location and the monoliths will be removed completely.

Perhaps they're confused because the Leave a Legacy tiles will still be displayed, but not in the same area. The tombstones....err, monoliths are definitely getting removed.

edit: rteetz beat me to it

Odd. They sure look like they're removed in the new concept art. Of course IT IS concept art. What the heck is that the golden column under SE?

eeb1029380498234234fi-613x345.jpg

I'm guessing typo.
They tried writing:

"the future of Epcot doesn't include those monoliths"
and
"the future of Epcot includes moving those monoliths"

at the same time, and this was the result.

Odd. They sure look like they're removed in the new concept art. Of course IT IS concept art. What the heck is that the golden column under SE?

eeb1029380498234234fi-613x345.jpg

yeah, I think what they meant is that the monoliths will be removed from their current spot but the new location of the plaques with the faces on it will be mounted to a different surface, not the current monoliths. So the monoliths themselves aren't moving to the new location - just the plaques

I have no issue with this. If some of the comments Martin is making over on WDWMagic are correct ( and he is 99.9% of the time) this has a lot more info forthcoming and the project is massive. Complete overhaul to SSE and how long it will take ( 2 years) is not just due to the ride being redone, but is apparantly a lot to do with the redesign and possible Demo of much of the current innoventions areas. Moving this new "kids play" area into the WOL pavillion allows them to get rid of the whole Innoventions area buildings and still have meet and greets for kids but in a more kid friendly environment. That allows for a redo on Mousegears and then as they work on the "space" side of FW, they can work pavillion by pavillion to update/improve Seas and Land, and eventually ( per the information I am putting together from people who know and comments Martin makes) eventually redo Imagination. It is not the priority at the moment and the purple dragon is safe. At least for the time being. Ill be excited to see the new reimagined FW part of Epcot.

That is so like yesterday.

It'll be a giant hat with a DVC sales booth at the bottom.

Oh my word, this had me laughing out loud. Maybe I’m getting too old (27), but I am so dang sick of the DVC hounds. “You want more FastPass+? Gift card? Take a tour!” If I had a dollar every time I was asked, I’d be able to afford DVC in cash at this point.

Oh my word, this had me laughing out loud. Maybe I’m getting too old (27), but I am so dang sick of the DVC hounds. “You want more FastPass+? Gift card? Take a tour!” If I had a dollar every time I was asked, I’d be able to afford DVC in cash at this point.
Interesting. Never had them hit me up for any sales stuff. I'm sure they must. We go by all the time, as my kidlet is always seeing what they have for pins.

I said this on Twitter, and I'll say it again.

For those of you that did not get to experience the original entrance, I can't tell you how happy for all of you now. It was so welcoming, and relaxing with the BG music, the fountain, and all of the flowers. I can't wait!

When did the original entrance go away? I have been going since before Leave a Legacy, but cannot recall if the other "stuff" was different at that time. It's all a blur when you are racing to Living with the Land ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter