• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Entertainer at Poly Fired - Lipoa's Return!! & 'Ohana's changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a call from disney this morning. The girl told us she was contacting us about our e mail about Lipoa and wanted us to know that she was back. I told her we knew and thank you very much. At least they are acknowledging us. That is a breath of fresh air. I always wonder if disney takes anything I write in all those surveys they send me seriously. I am glad the e mail helped and aloha guy, you are a great friend to Lipoa, thanks from all of us disers and loyal Lipoa fans.

I got a call from WDW this morning also - left a message saying they thanked us for our concern and stated that Lipoa is back at the Polynesian. It is definitely interesting that they are getting back to everyone. I'm somewhat impressed that they chose to listen to their e-mails, and it surprises me even more that they have taken the time to get back to people. Perhaps the sheer volume of e-mails made them feel it necessary to address the situation.

Got my call and it made my day! I could not be happier!! (Actually, I could - POWERBALL) I am a little suprised that I/we got phone calls. There must have been a very serious meeting behind closed doors in order for that to happen.

I am proud of my friends at the DIS for e-mailing their support and I'm even more proud of The Polynesian/Disney for stepping up to the plate and doing it the way Walt would have done it. I'm looking forward to seeing Lipoa, The Poly, and WDW the 2nd week of June.

We spoke with Lipoa last night about her return to the Polynesian -

First of all, she remains incredibly grateful to everyone that sent e-mails, wrote letters, and called on her behalf. She was told by her union rep. that it was the public response that got her reinstated so quickly. Her rep. also said that he'd never before heard of someone being rehired after being terminated by Disney. Apparently, the flood of e-mails that came in has also been the talk of the Polynesian. Lipoa said that CM's from merchandise, as well as bellmen and others, have approached her and told her that they knew of her story, and of the thousands of e-mails. Most of them had also read her story on these boards - so they already knew the specifics of her situation. (So there are many CM's that read these posts).

Tuesday the 9th was her first night back, and she said that although she was a bit nervous to return after all that happened, she was excited and the night was great. She is thrilled to be back and has received a warm welcome from everyone.

Here is the 'Ohana news: Lipoa told us that the format of the entertainment in the restaurant is changing. They have apparently hired a choreographer(or something similar) from broadway to make changes to the show. It will now be a more 'formal' show - meaning less spontaneous and more structured. Lipoa will be in certain areas of the restaurant at certain times, and will no longer be allowed to roam freely from table to table. This is apparently being done to make it easier for the servers to move throughout the dining areas. Also, the limbo contests are officially over (go figure), so no one will be able to take pictures from the floor anymore. Apparently, the only thing remaining from the old shows are the coconut races. The whole pace of Lipoa's entertainment will be more structured.

She stated that one of the results of this change is that she is no longer able to visit with everyone at their tables. However, she has told all the servers that she wishes to know if someone who supported her on these boards is in the restaurant. The only way this can be done, she felt, is if there was a "code" to let servers know that someone from the Dis is there - so, if you have supported Lipoa with e-mails and you are dining at 'Ohana's tell your server that "Alohaguy sent you" - (I know it seems a little like a covert operation, but that's what Lipoa came up with ) - and she will come over and thank you for your support. Remember, she wants to thank everyone that sent e-mails on her behalf because she feels she owes her job to those that did. So she wants everyone to make themselves known when they come to 'Ohana's by saying "Alohaguy sent me".

So the bottom line is: we did make a difference, and Lipoa wants to thank everyone that took time out of their lives to speak up on her behalf. She is a classy, caring lady, who will now be able to continue making people smile thanks to everyone's efforts. And as long as we continue to care about keeping special CM's like Lipoa working at Disney, then Disney will continue to be a special place for everyone.

Thanks again for all the support, and happy New Year to everyone.

That's great to hear! Hopefully "structured" doesn't take away all the fun. . . we're trying to talk my uncle into letting us take my cousin now that she's addicted after their first trip earlier this month and I REALLY want to take her there - I think she'd love it!

Of course, if it turns out kinda blah without all that spontanaety at least we know we have the power of numbers behind us:rotfl:

Glad to hear Lipoa's become somewhat of a Disney "legend"!!

I am on with WDW Dining making our ADR for Sunday, July 9th at 7:15pm. :yay: Can't wait to use the "code" when we arrive!! Great job Alohaguy!!! Way to go Lipoa!!

I wonder if we'll be the first to use the code?? We will be there this Sunday celebrating DD's 7th b-day. We are all so excited that she's back!! Can't wait.
:banana:

To the OP: thank you for working so hard to bring this to all of our attention, and to 'right' a very obvious 'wrong'.

I'm so glad that everything worked out for Lipoa, and can't wait to see her the next time we stay at the Poly.

Now, if we could only do the same for poor Tigger. :tigger:

Just got an e-mail from Lipoa - she wanted me to pass along that she completely understands why Disney is making the changes to the show in 'Ohana - she knows they want more of a stage show, to be consistent with other venues at WDW. She just wanted to make sure it was clear that she wasn't upset with the changes.

Thanks again.

Aloha

Hmmmm.....seems to me the man taking the photograph "doth protest too much". Maybe he really was trying to take an obscene photo, got one, and his significant other spotted it. To cover his actions and save himself the wrath of his significant other, he used Lipoa as a scapegoat? That really would be another all-time low for humanity. As it is, this guy's lucky Lipoa isn't suing him.

Well, I'm glad the voice of reason and the emails of hundreds brought Disney to their senses. Good things should happen to good people and it's the normal folks (of course, I count myself as one) that have to stick up for each other.

I have never had the pleasure of seeing Lipoa perform. I'm going to Disney next week and I'm going to try to secure reservations now whether or not her show has been changed. Anyone with this type of following must truly help create a magical experience that shouldn't be missed!:thumbsup2

I wonder if we'll be the first to use the code?? We will be there this Sunday celebrating DD's 7th b-day. We are all so excited that she's back!! Can't wait.
:banana:

Unless her schedule has changed, Lipoa doesn't work on Sunday and Monday nights. Sorry to disappoint. But I'll check with her and get back to you.

Aloha and have a great dinner.

Thanks for updating us on all things going on with Lipoa. You are right, she is a very classy lady who takes her Hawaiian heritage seriously and wants to convey that to folks dining there. Just makes us feel like we are closer to the warmth of the Hawaii sun, but with the magic of WDW and Lipoa to get us there!

We had a great experience with Lipoa a couple of years ago. It was just DH and I and we were seated right by the aisle where they were doing the coconut races. After she came over and gave us leis and said "thank you so much for being understanding of the children's activities" I guess she thought it was disturbing us. Just the opposite we love Ohana and the entertainment.

I do know a server who was fired from WDW and later reinstated so it does happen on occasion. This was the food & beverage workers union, I imagine Lipoa is in a different one.

I'm so glad that the issue was resolved successfully before I got to the end of this thread!!! O'Hanas is a must every trip (the boys just love it there) and even though my DS's are grown, we've spent many a happy time watching my nieces and nephews enjoy the fun!

Will they still be doing the Hula at 'Ohana? My DD loved this on our trip in September :confused3 . The cocnut races are alright, nothing great. They should make a few menu changes while there at it, back to the old menu. It's still om our list for ADR"s mostly for entertainment and the bread pudding.

This was the saddest story with then that happiest ending I have ever read....ABOUT SOMEONE WE LOVE!!!!!! Oh man, Ohana without Lipoa would not have been Ohana!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to give her a big hug when we go there on 4/1!!!!

Ohana means family...never leave anyone behind!

We went to Ohana on 1 March for dinner. The show was the same as always - Lipoa coming out, doing the hula with the kids, coconut races and the limbo - I did note that she's a little more subdued - no more high kicks.

I used the Alohaguy sent us code with our server - she came out, took a photo with my daughter and thanked us for our support. She also made us honorary limbo pole holders and gave us a signed photo and some magical cupcakes! She expressed a lot of gratitude for Alohaguy's posts and for the rousing support she received as a result.

She was remarkably not bitter at all about the incident, and her attitude and disposition really makes her an outstanding CM, in my opinion. She WAS the entertainment for the kids, and they had a blast.

Thanks to Alohaguy for letting us know of the situation.

Thank goodness she was reinstated! We got to know her 2 years ago when I was there for my birthday. She let my BF and I hold the shakka maracas and limbo pole and let me make a special song request. She is a such an asset to Ohana!

It is a shame though that someone like her had to be put through something like this.

Chrissie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter