• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Entertainer at Poly Fired - Lipoa's Return!! & 'Ohana's changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaguy

Mouseketeer
Latest update on Page 13, post 184

Update on Page 7, post 104.

I haven't posted on these boards in over a year, for various reasons, but I now feel compelled to share the story of a loyal Disney CM who has been recently fired, in hopes that many of you know her and will support her by writing to Disney about your displeasure.

Many of you may know Lipoa - one of the main entertainers at OHana's for the past eleven years, and the woman who until recently, greeted guests as they entered the ceremonial house. Approximately ten days ago she was terminated under what may be considered questionable circumstances. Over the years, my family has gotten to know her very well and we communicate with her throughout the year. We spoke with her last night, and this is her story:

Apparently, several weeks ago, while she was leading the kids at OHanas through the limbo pole (which she does almost nightly) one child's father got down on the floor to snap a picture. In the process of doing this, he managed to capture a view up Lipoa's dress (bear in mind, he was lying on the floor taking a picture). This apparently enraged the guest and he complained to management. His feeling was that Lipoa had somehow intentionally 'flashed' him and that her behavior was innapropriate. He was so enraged that he then took his complaint to higher-ups in California. Subsequently, Lipoa was placed on one week's suspension, then later terminated because of the incident.

Those of you that know her, or have experienced her show at OHana's, understand that she is a kind and wonderful entertainer, and her character is such that it is ludicrous to think she was terminated due to such a ridiculous complaint.

She was a loyal and talented entertainer at the Polynesian for eleven years and she deserves fair treatment after all of the people she has so positively touched.

I hope that those of you that know her, will find time to send a letter or e-mail to guest relations, or to the general manager of the Polynesian - Dave Venerables - stating your displeasure with her termination. A manager at the Poly told me that if enough complaints come in, they will make a difference.

Thanks for your attention. Feel free to send me a private message for more details.

Here are some photos of Lipoa -

100_0558.jpg

100_0380.jpg

100_0379.jpg

This is insane!! She is such an awesome entertainer, and so fun to watch!! That is very sad that they would terminate her for this, when she probably should have been the one to complain about a father lying on the ground, snapping a picture up her dress!! Hopefully, lots of people complain and they will rethink this... :furious:

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her, but certainly feel for her. She might want to consider consulting a lawyer for wrongful termination. If she was doing her job the way she was instructed, and the guest was at fault for the risque picture, it could help. I know Disney has too much money for it too really go somewhere in court, but maybe a mediator or something could help. I would also look into the jacka*s lying on the floor taking pics to begin with. Indecent photos without permission is illegal, and she may could get somewhere there... or at least make him miserable for what he put her through. I think it is a shame Disney chose that approach instead of standing behind a long-time, faithful CM.

Don't know why this thread was moved - Lipoa worked in many different areas of the resort over the years, not only Ohana's.

She is not the type to pursue an attorney's representation. She is very low-keyed and soft spoken when she is not working and entertaining. Just a show of support in the way of e-mails or letters would be greatly appreciated by her. Her main concern was for guests, and although the Disney machine is far too large and well funded for her to successfully fight, I know many people will miss her now that she is gone. It is truly a shame.

It is nuts to be fired based on one complaint. Anyone who works with the general public can tell you that half of the people are crazy and there is no way to please them! :confused3

deerslayer said:
It is nuts to be fired based on one complaint.

Maybe there had been more than one complaint? What company wants to lose a good employee? Even with deep pockets, termination costs, hiring costs, and training costs to bring someone new in is a cost most firms try to avoid. I guess if the spot will go unfilled, those costs would not be an issue and Disney will actually save money over the long run.

-- Rob

I encourage all who know or had any dealings with Lipoa to do something. She is the sweetest person ever!

That would be Lipoa. We are on a call right now to the Poly and have an e-mail waiting to be sent. I am shocked by this. She is the classiest lady, who never forgets my two son's names, always tells O'Hana's it's their birthday and will sit at the table during her break to catch up with us. It is truly shocking.

With all due respect- is it possible there is more to this story? It just doesn't sound right...

deerslayer said:
It is nuts to be fired based on one complaint. Anyone who works with the general public can tell you that half of the people are crazy and there is no way to please them! :confused3
I've never seen her, but as someone who works with the public I agree 100%. People are crazy & always think they are right!! Give me a break-what was there to complain about!!

susieq76 - That was my reaction as well ... the whole thing just doesn't make sense. All I have is Lipoa's side of the story, and she felt the entire thing made no sense as well. It is just amazing to me that a guest can get someone with eleven years experience fired so easily, and with only one completely bizarre complaint. Lipoa did tell me that the management at the Polynesian supported her, but that the final decision came from California and the Polynesian's hands were tied.

And just to clarify, Lipoa was the main entertainer at OHana's. She worked five nights a week for the last eleven years. Her position will be filled by a woman who previously worked at the Polynesian concierge and in the luau dinner show.

If any of you are so inclined, please send letters and/or e-mails on her behalf.

I think she should sue the guy who took the picture. He is much more at fault than she is. Very sad story.

I am curious to hear if there is more to the story. Being in HR, she would have a lawsuit if those were the circumstances for her termination.

My DH and I are in total shock. We love the Poly and have always enjoyed Lipoa. Do you have contact info for the people we need to contact at WDW?

thanks,

That's pretty awful news.
We were there the week before last, and my wife commented how she missed "the woman performer" and preferred her to the man who was filling in (who I thought was perfectly good, but she had become part of the tradition of going there.)

mcreamer9 - I do have more details but they are not all that relevant. I do only have her side of the story and I am going on the fact that I have known her for nearly a decade and I have faith in her character. She is a lovely person.

I believe she has grounds for a lawsuit as well, but she is a very quiet and soft-spoken person (when not entertaining) and I know she will not pursue anything. She told me that she may move back to Hawaii to start over. It's very sad.

Lowillian - I posted contact information above. Please show your support if you are as shocked as we are. Thanks.

Alohaguy,
Just sent an email. Please keep us posted if you hear anything.

thanks for sharing this information,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter