Elephant In the Room... But...

I really don't let those posts from naysayers who bad mouth or complain about DCL bother me. I've sailed on DCL more than any other cruise line and although I've taken advantage of better deals on other cruise lines I always come back to DCL because for me they provide the best cruise experience.

I agree with you for the most part. However, when someone is personally attacked as the OP was on a different thread, it does bother me. It is not the DIS I know and love.

It is very interesting to me because nowadays I find I spend more time on other DIS forums than I do on dcl's Dis forum. I have noticed that people are critical of Disney on other DIS forums and do not get reprimanded by other disers, but whenever people are critical on the DCL forum, there is a real pushback. I do feel more comfortable on the dl or wdw or dvc DIS forum. On the DCL forum, there is like a mini police force that comes out to try to purge criticism or even just different opinion. It is an interesting dynamic. I also occasionally listen to the DIS podcasts and find that the DIS owners and their staff are often critical of Disney. I find it very refreshing to have that more honest open discussion and am thankful for disboards in general.

I think both the DCL haters and lovers are more noticeable here because it seems to be a much less busy forum. I do remember posters on the resorts board years ago who loved one deluxe resort and went out of their way to rain on the parade of those excited about a stay at any other deluxe resort. When I was new to the boards, it bothered me a bit but after a while I just felt sorry for them.

Last edited:
And the DVC forums actually are pretty critical regularly, with a side dose of telling would-be purchasers not to believe what the guides tell them. To the people who defend Disney, the DVC forums would probably break them!

Ha! True.

And the DVC forums actually are pretty critical regularly, with a side dose of telling would-be purchasers not to believe what the guides tell them. To the people who defend Disney, the DVC forums would probably break them!
I am so appreciative to all of you on the dvc forum. We never would have considered resale without disboards. Life changing information.

I used to recommend DVC to lots of people, but I don’t anymore unless they go resale. Like others, I’m not a fan of the direction they seem to be taking with Riviera. We’ll happily stick to the original 14...

I agree with you for the most part. However, when someone is personally attacked as the OP was on a different thread, it does bother me. It is not the DIS I know and love.

I think both the DCL haters and lovers are more noticeable here because it seems to be a much less busy forum. I do remember posters on the resorts board years ago who loved one deluxe resort and went out of their way to rain on the parade of those excited about a stay at any other deluxe resorts. When I was new to the boards, it bothered me a bit but after a while I just felt sorry for them.

Did that post get deleted? I really didn't see any personal attacks, but if it did happen, I agree it is wrong. I did see a snarky comment captured in a quote and figured it was that. Many though are taking shots at us too, people have wondered if we work for other lines, nope, called platinum cruisers trolls, nope, this is also not right.

I hope that this board doesn't turn into CC, but did notice the tone change when the alcohol policy changed, and of course there has always been the defend DCL crowd, which I used to be a member of.

Yes, it was deleted. LOL about wondering if you work for other lines. I haven't seen those posts. I enjoy your perspective and those of many others who have enjoyed other lines including mevelandry. I do feel sorry for the couple of individuals who go out of their way to be mean, extremely negative or condescending.

I have read a lot of threads and find nothing troll like negative against DCL.. All negative comments for me have a point and have a valid basis for discussion. Example is the priced out thread. FACT DCL is tons more expensive than other cruise lines.. Even with the free soda (lol!) this is a basis for discussion such as , is it worth it? Some will argues, yay or nay. To get more defensive or argue otherwise simply means you are drinking the Disney Kool-Aid.

I have read a lot of threads and find nothing troll like negative against DCL.. All negative comments for me have a point and have a valid basis for discussion. Example is the priced out thread. FACT DCL is tons more expensive than other cruise lines.. Even with the free soda (lol!) this is a basis for discussion such as , is it worth it? Some will argues, yay or nay. To get more defensive or argue otherwise simply means you are drinking the Disney Kool-Aid.
Yes, but when you point out that how RCCL is increasing prices on the Oasis class ships and that CCL (or Princess, NCL, et. al.) would be a much better value than RCCL, it doesn't seem to register, even though it follows the same logic.

I like to discuss all lines, and I find this (and I really like @mevelandry 's thread) is a great place to do so. However, there needs to be room for people that like ALL lines. It does seem that if one says something positive about DCL or points out something that is a misconception, etc., they immediately get labeled as a DCL "sunshine pumper". Hey, I'm a sunshine pumper for all the lines (with one exception - RCCL - only because we had a not so great experience there, but I do hope they can change that perception one day!). Just because someone points out something positive about DCL doesn't make them a "defender", etc. There is room for discussion of all lines. They all have their strengths and weaknesses...

As an aside, I kind of see that in the country in general today. You have to take sides. Not sure why one can't have his/her own individual viewpoint...

Even with the free soda (lol!)

Isn't it obvious that a $2k RCL cruise is more expensive than a $5k DCL cruise if you include the soda? How are you not seeing that?!

FWIW, I don't see a lot of hostility here and I appreciate the fact you can be critical or price compare without getting the thread immediately locked.

. Just because someone points out something positive about DCL doesn't make them a "defender", etc. There is room for discussion of all lines. They all have their strengths and weaknesses..

So true, or you're accused of :
drinking the Disney Kool-Aid.
Which is usually not the case.

Everyone should feel free to spend their vacation money where and how they want, but if you cruise DCL and pay high prices you're accused of drinking the kool-aid, being a DCL apologist, being foolish for spending so much money, etc. If you respond that you've paid the same or less than the other lines for a DCL, that is challenged and/or ignored. The current rhetoric appears to be, ironically on a DCL thread, that's you're a fool or a spendthrift if you sail DCL and if you pay a fraction to sail another (fill in beloved other line) you are more intelligent, fiscally responsible, and handsome (sarcasm font). I think missing the point is this is all for vacation that most of the world can never afford and spending your (alleged) fraction of DCL cost is still out of the reach of the majority of the population. So if you sail (fill in blank) for x dollars versus sailing DCL for y dollars, guess what? It's still a luxury.

Vacations are personal and there's no wrong way to do them. That's the frustration I have with this forum lately-apparently there is, to some, a right way. I really appreciate discourse without insults. To thine own self be true...

FYI... (You are free to ignore) This expression is never well received here because it references to Jonestown.

Everyone should feel free to spend their vacation money where and how they want, but if you cruise DCL and pay high prices you're accused of drinking the kool-aid, being a DCL apologist, being foolish for spending so much money, etc. If you respond that you've paid the same or less than the other lines for a DCL, that is challenged and/or ignored. The current rhetoric appears to be, ironically on a DCL thread, that's you're a fool or a spendthrift if you sail DCL and if you pay a fraction to sail another (fill in beloved other line) you are more intelligent, fiscally responsible, and handsome (sarcasm font). I think missing the point is this is all for vacation that most of the world can never afford and spending your (alleged) fraction of DCL cost is still out of the reach of the majority of the population. So if you sail (fill in blank) for x dollars versus sailing DCL for y dollars, guess what? It's still a luxury.

Vacations are personal and there's no wrong way to do them. That's the frustration I have with this forum lately-apparently there is, to some, a right way. I really appreciate discourse without insults. To thine own self be true...

I don't think this has been true. It's more "if that's how you want to spend the money, fine, but don't come in claiming that the $3k difference between lines is made up for by adding specialty dining (upgrade on DCL too) and a soda package." Because that just is weird.

Well, the part I highlighted in your comment doesn't sound entirely false. I mean... I don't think being frugal or trying to find the greater value for your buck, or thinking that DCL raise they prices a little bit too high/too fast compared to other lines is "wrong".

I wanna joke about this so much (!!!) but my comment would be rated R and off topic :blush:... Moving on.

Last edited:

We are value cruisers, which may include paying 3100 for a week in an oceanview on a new Celebrity ship with an adult beverage package included or sailing concierge on the Fantasy twice. We all value things differently. Some value the Disney characters, so Disney makes perfect sense for them:) Since the Disney brand doesn't hold much value for us, we branched out, but always do price out DCL as well.

Value is always so personal, and I do feel really bad for those that truly love Disney can't afford it anymore.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the new ships come out:)

When it cost a family of four over 20,000 for a European cruise I think it’s enevitable that discussions on alternative cruise lines is going to happen. I’m not sure what OP expects people to do ignore the elephant in the room...which is Disney’s pricing. For most people cost is the number one factor in choosing a vacation. If its not then consider yourself very lucky.

When it cost a family of four over 20,000 for a European cruise I think it’s enevitable that discussions on alternative cruise lines is going to happen. I’m not sure what OP expects people to do ignore the elephant in the room...which is Disney’s pricing. For most people cost is the number one factor in choosing a vacation. If its not then consider yourself very lucky.
Agreed. As others have mentioned, there is an ABD Forum on Disboards. An ABD tour would also cost my family of four over $20 K plus air. The conversation on that forum is about alternate means to touring Europe, and the pros and cons of various tour companies. There are many extras that ABD offers, so it is good to know what you are getting (or missing out on) by booking with other tour companies or doing it yourself. This way, Disboarders can make informed decisions. I have not cruised in over 15 years and appreciate the feedback offered by the more experienced cruisers on Disboards. I can weed out the constructive feedback from the griping-just-to-gripe comments. I am sorry OP felt attacked, though.

I just came upon this thread, and although I've never cruised DCL...I'm a avid cruiser. So far Carnival is my favorite. Didn't like Royal, and I do like NCL. To me, cruising is just so simple, get on the boat and start the party! I'd love to try DCL, but unfortunately it is out of my budget. There is always something to like and something to complain about on any cruise. When my sister and I first went on Royal, we started making faces, right away. This particular cruise was recommended by a Royal Activist...LOL...so we decided to take her advice. Things were smelly and old, but we didn't want to be disappointed, especially since we just got on...so we started to look for things we liked about the ship. By end of the cruise we are happy to report we had a blast! We met some cool people and had so much fun. We also laughed and joked about our friend's particular taste in cruiselines, and we got to make fun of her (in a nice way). We did decide Royal isn't for us, but we're glad we didn't let first impressions ruin our cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter