DVC Rental Store - Is there a waitlist?

That is true, but brokers are regularly charging renters 25 a point and can’t fill the requests fast enough. I believe owners deserve more than a dollar or two price increase.
I suspect it will not be very much longer before the market switches from a price-per-point model to a price-per-reservation model---and we are already seeing that for rentals of existing reservations.

That's largely because there is a significant disconnect between Disney's rental rates vs. points required for studios vs. 1BR/2BRs. At $25/pt, lots of studio options make sense for the renter as a real savings to justify the more restrictive terms and higher risk. For larger villas, not so much.

I don't think the number of points available for rent is much lower than at other times so much as that overall demand for them, and by owners deciding to use their points mayve even for something extravagant, is sky high.

Why don’t these brokers start suing more for rentals? I’ve considered renting before but don’t want the hassle of doing it myself and after accounting for my dues on the points, renting them out is a terrible value. I’ve decided to just book higher point rooms than rent any excess. It seems they don’t understand the concepts of supply/demand and inflation.

After hearing about being able to rent out existing reservations and naming your own price for it from a podcast, I reached out to them about doing so for a trip we couldn't go on that was within the 30 day mark. They acknowledged the naming your price that they do for existing reservations, but in the context of reducing the price per point lower than the 14.50/pt in order to get it rented out in time. It was a Saratoga studio rental for MLK holiday weekend and we were about 2 weeks out. In order to get it rented out, they said they'd have to reduce it down to where I would get paid $7 to $9/pt, which to me was insulting. No way am I going to spend 1hr+ on the phone with member services to switch over an existing reservation for $9/point. They did mention I could always cancel the reservation and rebook something more popular like Poly and rent that out at a better rate. Instead, I posted in on a facebook group and got it rented out at $17/point that same day.

After hearing about being able to rent out existing reservations and naming your own price for it from a podcast, I reached out to them about doing so for a trip we couldn't go on that was within the 30 day mark. They acknowledged the naming your price that they do for existing reservations, but in the context of reducing the price per point lower than the 14.50/pt in order to get it rented out in time. It was a Saratoga studio rental for MLK holiday weekend and we were about 2 weeks out. In order to get it rented out, they said they'd have to reduce it down to where I would get paid $7 to $9/pt, which to me was insulting. No way am I going to spend 1hr+ on the phone with member services to switch over an existing reservation for $9/point. They did mention I could always cancel the reservation and rebook something more popular like Poly and rent that out at a better rate. Instead, I posted in on a facebook group and got it rented out at $17/point that same day.
Ha better than they told me! I was in a similar situation within 30 days and they told me I might have to rent it as low as $1 per point!!! Yeah right! I’d rather just take the loss than hassle with them so someone could get five days on my points for 100$!

I think that they are all experiencing a shortage of owners willing to rent their points out. Many owners are just returning to Disney vacationing and are using the points themselves. Others would rather get more $ for their points and deal directly with renters than accept the small amount that intermediaries pay.

If you're trying to book any later than early November 2022, you run into the problem that only someone who owns at Resort X can book at Resort X. And if it's a small resort or one that is very new, there won't be a lot of owners putting their points up for rental.
Thank you, this was helpful. I'm new to renting DVC points and after finding a reservation available, there was no one who had points available.
So I'm learning as I go. And your post helped. Thanks!

Every time I put my points for rent it didn't take more than 30 minutes for the resale company to locate a buyer so I've always assumed that the demand was high.

I suspect it will not be very much longer before the market switches from a price-per-point model to a price-per-reservation model---and we are already seeing that for rentals of existing reservations.

That's largely because there is a significant disconnect between Disney's rental rates vs. points required for studios vs. 1BR/2BRs. At $25/pt, lots of studio options make sense for the renter as a real savings to justify the more restrictive terms and higher risk. For larger villas, not so much.
I agree, renting points from resorts like Boardwalk with great point charts are a steal, particularly studios. They could definitely raise prices or do a price per reservation model. Just undercut the cash room price a bit, owners and stores would profit.

I am considering booking a stay at a DVC resort in January 2023 by renting points from "DVC Rental Store". I have heard that DVC point rental sites such as these currently have very few DVC owners who have listed their points, resulting in long waitlists or queues for bookings. I contacted "David's Vacation Club Rentals" who confirmed that there are waitlists for almost every DVC resort. When I contacted "DVC Rental Store", they wouldn't tell me anything except that they would be happy to discuss availability with me only AFTER I submit a booking request and send them money. Has anyone recently booked through "DVC Rental Store" and could kindly let me know if they are also experiencing a similar shortage of DVC owners/points and putting booking requests into waitlists? Thanks!
I rented out my AKV home points two weeks ago for Christmas. I looked at the available requests, grabbed one in my point range, and rented at only $16. I needed to pay for my daughter's wedding cake, realized I had extra points, and now can claim my dues on 67 points on my taxes since I rented them and must pay taxes on those rented points. I didn't make much, which is why I would not do this regularly at $16. I suggest that you put in your request to get it on the board. From the people's listings, it is a male with two children. Possibly a father with 2 kids wanting to get special something for the kids. Hope they enjoy it. Got my cake money paid, and I might consider more rentals if this works out since the pay would be at least $2 more a point. The companies needed to up $ issued to members. All went up so much to become a member, and the payout at $16 is on the low side. I was inexperienced and saw fast $$ for a need right then. The points rented them as soon as they were on the board. More might rent now...

Same- I had a reservation and was told it was better to cancel and rent out just the points at a different resort.

Same- I had a reservation and was told it was better to cancel and rent out just the points at a different resort.
Better for who? Better for the rental agent as they get quick easy money, and their percentage doesn't change. Confirmed reservations are worth more, IMO, because they are for dates that are likely not bookable anymore for any price.

Better for who? Better for the rental agent as they get quick easy money, and their percentage doesn't change. Confirmed reservations are worth more, IMO, because they are for dates that are likely not bookable anymore for any price
Better for who? Better for the rental agent as they get quick easy money, and their percentage doesn't change. Confirmed reservations are worth more, IMO, because they are for dates that are likely not bookable anymore for any price.
Something this first time renter did not think about.

Lowlight, As a newbie, I didn't understand this. I went back after your reply and researched more (this is on me- but it's difficult to know what to research when you just step in). I noticed that there were many reservations already there and a query: how much do you want for your point? I thought this meant that people were just not able to cancel without losing points and that they were taking a smaller amount. HECK NO! When I did the math, it makes my $16 ppt for an AKV in DEC look like a steal. (I rented right before the $18 increase.) I feel foolish, but lesson learned. Thank you for your post. The OP is doing a better job than I did because they are inquiring here. The exact message I got was "better to cancel" because it is easier to rent by keeping points flexible. Ok- no one mislead me because I can see that it was within 2 days of picking a person that the paperwork began. However- next time I am going to keep my prime reservation (that I wanted but my daughter's wedding is in the way, lol, and I wanted so badly to pay for her cake) and let it stay until right before banking and bank. That seems smarter.

At least one of the rental stores reach out to me once a week.
They need points but do not want to pay the owners fairly for them.

plus one of the companies put all of the liability on the owners. Zero protection for the owner.

A lot of people just don’t want to deal with them right now. It is easier to rent direct

I also tried to rent from DVC rental and Dave’s. Neither had points so after a month of waiting I got antsy and found these disboards. Found someone right away and got my points for $17. I am very happy 😃. I got the confirmed reservation in my Disney account before I paid. I know I have to trust that they won’t cancel the appointment but I think that’s a risk I am willing to take,

I attempted to use DVC Rental Store last month to book a February 2023 stay at Beach Club. No luck, no owners were interested in renting me points. I got my deposit back.

At this point I'm going to go with the sure thing, I'll contact my Dreams Unlimited travel agent to book a regular Beach Club or Yacht Club room in the summer when the 2023 reservations become available.

I saw many BCV confirmed reservations in redweek for Jan. to Mar. 2023. Not sure if one of them would match your schedule/room size/price.
I wonder if many dvc owners rent out in redweek or other common timeshare rental sites.

I saw many BCV confirmed reservations in redweek for Jan. to Mar. 2023. Not sure if one of them would match your schedule/room size/price.
I wonder if many dvc owners rent out in redweek or other common timeshare rental sites.
At this point, we're done with WDW for a few years I think. We just got back from Spring Break and I wasn't impressed. The magic is gone for me. And they gave me food poisoning.

For February 2023, I think we'll be going to Great Wolf Lodge instead... 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter