DVC Rental Store - Is there a waitlist?

christopherb76

Earning My Ears
I am considering booking a stay at a DVC resort in January 2023 by renting points from "DVC Rental Store". I have heard that DVC point rental sites such as these currently have very few DVC owners who have listed their points, resulting in long waitlists or queues for bookings. I contacted "David's Vacation Club Rentals" who confirmed that there are waitlists for almost every DVC resort. When I contacted "DVC Rental Store", they wouldn't tell me anything except that they would be happy to discuss availability with me only AFTER I submit a booking request and send them money. Has anyone recently booked through "DVC Rental Store" and could kindly let me know if they are also experiencing a similar shortage of DVC owners/points and putting booking requests into waitlists? Thanks!

I am considering booking a stay at a DVC resort in XXXXXXXXX by renting points from "DVC Rental Store". I have heard that DVC point rental sites such as these currently have very few DVC owners who have listed their points, resulting in long waitlists or queues for bookings. I contacted "David's Vacation Club Rentals" who confirmed that there are waitlists for almost every DVC resort. When I contacted "DVC Rental Store", they wouldn't tell me anything except that they would be happy to discuss availability with me only AFTER I submit a booking request and send them money. Has anyone recently booked through "DVC Rental Store" and could kindly let me know if they are also experiencing a similar shortage of DVC owners/points and putting booking requests into waitlists? Thanks!
I think that they are all experiencing a shortage of owners willing to rent their points out. Many owners are just returning to Disney vacationing and are using the points themselves. Others would rather get more $ for their points and deal directly with renters than accept the small amount that intermediaries pay.

If you're trying to book any later than early November 2022, you run into the problem that only someone who owns at Resort X can book at Resort X. And if it's a small resort or one that is very new, there won't be a lot of owners putting their points up for rental.

I attempted to use DVC Rental Store last month to book a February 2023 stay at Beach Club. No luck, no owners were interested in renting me points. I got my deposit back.

At this point I'm going to go with the sure thing, I'll contact my Dreams Unlimited travel agent to book a regular Beach Club or Yacht Club room in the summer when the 2023 reservations become available.

As PP mentioned:
At 11 months out, DVC owners can book their home resort.
At 7 months out, DVC owners can book any resort.

If you want January 2023, that's 9 months out.
So in order to book a stay at resort XYZ now, the agency not only needs to have an owner who wants to rent out enough points -- they need to have an owner who has XYZ as their home resort who wants to rent out enough points.

When I notified David's that I had points to rent out, they got back to me immediately with someone who wanted a reservation which could use those points, in the 7-11 month time frame. Twice. So there definitely were people on a wait list.

I have not used the DVC Rental Store, so I have no personal experience to share regarding them.

You can make a hotel reservation through Disney so that you know you will have somewhere to stay, and put yourself on the waitlist at David's or DVC Rental Store to see what happens.

I booked for January couple weeks ago directly with an owner. Didn't realize how fortunate I was.

In February, I tried to book a trip with David's and DVC Rental for October. They both had wait-lists. I waited for a month and never got off the wait-list, so ended up booking with Costco when they had a Dolphin/Swan special. This is actually what led me to purchasing my own points!

We’re using DVC Rental Store for our November 2022 trip after using them twice in the past (2015 and 2017). Requested exactly 11 months out with giving them a deposit, but took about 6 weeks for them to find an owner with the points at Kidani, where we wanted to stay. Good luck to you!

I think that they are all experiencing a shortage of owners willing to rent their points out.

I think it’s a simple matter of price= supply and demand. The rental sites have not raised the price they pay owners, so owners are not sufficiently incentivized to work with them. I have over 1000 points ready to go for rent, and prefer to use an intermediary. But if they insist on only offering 2018 pricing, I‘ll find a different use, or rent direct, probably on Facebook. Maybe here on the rental board.

I think it’s a simple matter of price= supply and demand. The rental sites have not raised the price they pay owners, so owners are not sufficiently incentivized to work with them. I have over 1000 points ready to go for rent, and prefer to use an intermediary. But if they insist on only offering 2018 pricing, I‘ll find a different use, or rent direct, probably on Facebook. Maybe here on the rental board.
In May of 2021, David's offered Owners $15.50 per point for making reservations in the 7-11 month range at most resorts. Now their website shows they are offering Owners $17.00 per point for making reservations in the 7-11 month range at most resorts (Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are the ones that are excluded from this higher price).

The DVC Rental Store pays $16 per point. I don't know what they paid in the past.

I know Owners have reasons for not liking David's. And I know Owners can potentially do better by renting on their own.

But when you said, "they insist on only offering 2018 pricing," it sounded like they have not raised the rates that they pay owners since 2018, and that is not the case.

Last edited:
DVC Rental Store needs to up their game. A $1 per point difference is significant.

In May of 2021, David's offered Owners $15.50 per point for making reservations in the 7-11 month range at most resorts. Now their website shows they are offering Owners $17.00 per point for making reservations in the 7-11 month range at most resorts (Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are the ones that are included).

The DVC Rental Store pays $16 per point. I don't know what they paid in the past.

I know Owners have reasons for not liking David's. And I know Owners can potentially do better by renting on their own.

But when you said, "they insist on only offering 2018 pricing," it sounded like they have not raised the rates that they pay owners since 2018, and that is not the case.
Thank you for that correction. The change to $17 at David’s may be recent? I missed that. Makes sense that it would increase with inflation in resort pricing at Disney direct.

Hey Everyone - As many of you may be aware, one of the many hats I wear is as Member Relations Supervisor at DVC Rental Store.

There are two primary factors that are required to fulfill a reservation request: Availability and Points. The first of these is typically the largest obstacle to overcome as we continue to see a large availability crunch for certain resorts even beyond the 7-month window. We also find ourselves currently in one of the most demanding periods ever for guests wanting to travel to Walt Disney World. This goes far beyond DVC and even Disney is facing challenges of its own due to this. Long story short, no amount of points or rooms will ever keep up with this demand.

Our team here is working hard each and every day to ensure that we match as many reservations as possible.

Oh... and all that pricing talk... Well... I'll chat with you next week... 😎

In May of 2021, David's offered Owners $15.50 per point for making reservations in the 7-11 month range at most resorts. Now their website shows they are offering Owners $17.00 per point for making reservations in the 7-11 month range at most resorts (Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are the ones that are included).

That is true, but brokers are regularly charging renters 25 a point and can’t fill the requests fast enough. I believe owners deserve more than a dollar or two price increase. I’m not alone I’m sure.

I don’t know about specific brokers but there does seem to be high demand and low supply for DVC points. I had a previous renter email me asking about whether I was renting again because she couldn’t find a Boardwalk owner to rent from! Unfortunately with land borders now open, I (and many other fellow Canadians) are using our points again. I have two years worth of trips to catch up on.

That is true, but brokers are regularly charging renters 25 a point and can’t fill the requests fast enough. I believe owners deserve more than a dollar or two price increase. I’m not alone I’m sure.
David's charges Guests $20 per point for stays within 7 months, and $21.50 for stays beyond 7 months.

I don't have time to look up DVC Rental Store.

As I said before, I understand why owners would prefer to rent out their points on their own, but I don't think brokers are regularly charging $25 a point.

David's charges Guests $20 per point for stays within 7 months, and $21.50 for stays beyond 7 months.

I don't have time to look up DVC Rental Store.

As I said before, I understand why owners would prefer to rent out their points on their own, but I don't think brokers are regularly charging $25 a point.
Supply and demand says they should be….and passing along more of that increase to points owners, which will loosen up supply of points for sure.

We were with DVC rental store looking for Poly in Nov and we were told the waitlist for Poly is long (didn’t say exactly how long). I asked about GF and CC (2 bedrooms) and was told those waitlists were not as bad. This was right at the 11 month window. We gave up after a week and I used it as an excuse to add on more points…

Supply and demand says they should be….and passing along more of that increase to points owners, which will loosen up supply of points for sure.

Eh....most members bought their points to use themselves. The price that makes me want to rent out my points rather than use my points is the price at which I can book a nicer hotel room at Disney with the cash I receive than what I'd get for points. Of course, that isn't going to happen because at that price the renter could book that room themselves, and the broker wouldn't make any money. There are certainly some members for whom that nicer room might not be a Disney vacation - i.e. I could rent my points and spend the week on a beach in the Caribbean. So you'll get a few more points with raised prices - but I wouldn't expect a ton since people who bought DVC tend to be very fond of Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter