• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

drowning at Castaway Cay yesterday

I don't see how HIPPA would apply here since CC is in a foreign country and the DCL ships sail under the flag of the Bahamas. No other US laws apply to the ships such wage and workers comp.:confused3
Because this is specifically stated in the DCL cruise contract:
GOVERNING LAW
Disney Cruise Line vacation reservations are deemed to be contracts made in the state of Florida and are governed by Florida law and, to the extent applicable, United States maritime law, to the exclusion of all choice-of-law rules which might otherwise apply. Any legal action relating to a Disney Cruise Line vacation reservation shall be brought and maintained exclusively before any court located in Brevard County, Florida, or the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida (Orlando Division).

Because this is specifically stated in the DCL cruise contract:
Well, really this only applies to the jurisdiction affecting the contract itself. So, if there is a lawsuit involving the contract, Fl law would apply for jurisdictional purposes regarding the contract (which courts it can be brought in, how damages are handled, etc.) It doesn't mean that Florida or US law applies to the day to day operations of the ship.

The US government does mandate that ships docking in US ports follow some specified US laws (like ADA) but HIPAA may or may not be among those. (It may, but if it does this clause wouldn't be the reason.)

Last edited:
FWIW, it's the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. HIPAA. Not HIPPA or HIIPA. Of course, that's just the pedantic in me. :rolleyes1:P:D

I would like to clarify some false statements on this board regarding the drowning at CC on Friday, 2/27/15.
Contrary to many beliefs on this message board, my dearest friend was drowned and passed away after he arrived in Miami on Friday. The cause of the death was drowning, not heart attack, accordingly to medical examination.

What caused lots of confusions was that the description of the person who was deceased a day before in CC was almost identical and there was no media coverage regarding my friend’s death.
I am very thankful to those of you such as Anonymous12345 who shared some insights on this board.

I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Jsimmet and Daisy123456789 who helped my friend regardlessly and your warmest heart to seek on the internet to ensure his well-being. On behalf of Eugene's friends, we can not thank you enough. Unfortunately, what was supposed to be a fun family vacation turned out to be this unimaginable tragedy and it was his last promise to his loving daughter. The family is undoubtedly in deepest sorrow and seeking insight of what happened and how it happened as his wife and daughter did not witness the accident. There are many questions to ask than answers.

The funeral service was held on Friday evening in NJ and we are building a memorial facebook page to remember how great person he was and how he has touched and inspired many.

https://www.facebook.com/foreugene

added:
If there is any witnessed who can share insights and details, please help to share as family and friends are seeking some details. It seems like this board is only place we can find any details about the accident.

This is something nobody wants nor needs to go through even for those who helped and witnessed the accident. Once again, I sincerely thank you for those who reached out and helped my friend. I had a chance to talk to my friend wife. I remembers somebody was holding her and praying for her. I said she is very thankful for her.

Last edited:
So sorry... Thank you for giving us the update and clarifying the details. Prayers for the family and friends:littleangel:

wow, I checked out the FB page. thank you for the update. Thoughts and prayers with the family and those involved in the rescue.

This is so absolutely absurd and shocking to hear about near death experience or being drowned at CC. It appears to be more than one incidence. How come we don't hear about this from any major broadcast/ news?. Doesn't public have a right to be informed about this place? Don't they have any protocols in case of emergency to save people from drowning? If this were uncontrollable matter for any reasons, they should have shut down the place-CC. People are dying from this place!! In other words, people are apparently being sent out to CC for snorkeling with a defective vest/life jacket. Wow I would not tolerate to witness any family members from drowning whatsoever. It's a heart broken story A defective life jacket ? If this were not a safe place for snorkeling for a entire family, people should be at least informed of number on the drowning incidences involved at CC in the past? Who wants to lose any family members during a family vacation? Who is responsible for this tragic event?

Disney should disclose number of drowning deaths at CC for safety reasons. Disney cruise should have a better safety protocols to ensure an excellent vacation for the whole family.

and here's another new member who just created their log in yesterday and the only thread they've ever commented on is this one.

I am sincerely sorry for the loss of life. It is a tragedy and I can understand how those who were close to the victim would want answers but a public forum is not the place to do this. Nor is it a place to try to stir up public outcry. It is a horrible situation. I feel for the family but it is ridiculous to assume there are cctvs all over the entire island. The life vests provided are not a substitute for being able to swim.

No one knows what Disney and the family has discussed. No one here knows what caused the accident. Sadly these threads always have a mess of rumors.

Our prayers to the family.

AKK

Last edited:
I'm almost never one to advocate for a thread being locked, but the obvious sketchiness of some of the newly-created accounts posting here is concerning.

If there is still anything official to be done, such as reaching out to possible witnesses, I'd think it would be better done in a medium where you can prove your credentials. Otherwise, the attempts to whip people up into a frenzy are really transparent.

Folks, I strongly suggest that you not engage if you aren't sure as to the authenticity of a post. This is an emotional topic, many people would like answers and there are many rumors floating. Unfortunately, this forum is not likely to provide answers and responding only encourages more of the same. If a post doesn't seem appropriate, please use the "Report" button below the post next to the username and date/time stamp.

I feel for the families involved in all 3 incidents and hope they are able to find the answers they need.

I don't see how HIPPA would apply here since CC is in a foreign country and the DCL ships sail under the flag of the Bahamas. No other US laws apply to the ships such wage and workers comp.:confused3

Well, really this only applies to the jurisdiction affecting the contract itself. So, if there is a lawsuit involving the contract, Fl law would apply for jurisdictional purposes regarding the contract (which courts it can be brought in, how damages are handled, etc.) It doesn't mean that Florida or US law applies to the day to day operations of the ship.

The US government does mandate that ships docking in US ports follow some specified US laws (like ADA) but HIPAA may or may not be among those. (It may, but if it does this clause wouldn't be the reason.)

Exactly!! Even though the ships fly under a foreign flag, if ships want to port in U.S. ports they must agree to abide by certain U.S. laws....now if maritime safety laws conflict with say an ADA law, well then the Maritime law trumps the ADA law. And there are a few cases of those types of things.... for example when it comes to ship structure and accessibility because they have to keep it so that they can shut off sections of the ship in the event the vessel were to take on water. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter