• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

drowning at Castaway Cay yesterday

I am a close friend of a man, who was drowned at Castaway Cay and passed away on Feb. 27, 2015.
I posted my first message recently to correct the misunderstanding and wrong info on this board, disproving my friend's death and advising witnesses to move on. Moreover, on behalf of family and friends, I wanted to thank those of you who helped my friend, rescueing, giving CPR, and comforting and praying for his wife and daughter while others were trying to save him.

There has not been any official statement nor media coverage regarding the incident, and this message board is only source friends can find any details from witnesses who have shared their insights.
As family and friends want to know what caused the drowning, I posted the link on Eugene's memorial facebook page to this message board. My intention to post the link was not to disrupt this message board with outcrys nor allegations but for friends to read about the accident instead of asking the family who is deeply in sorrow. Nevertheless, family is, also, seeking more details. I asked friends to be respectful and not to contact any poster directly when I posted the link.

Gratefully, some posters from here reached out and shared their sympathy and supports to the family. I am so touched and thankful for those who wanted to know Eugene's welling-being and wished him the best. Each of you touched so much not just family but friends who are witnessing this great kindheartedness and compassion. Ironically, there has not been any communication between the family and DCL as far as I know.

This thread was created by someone who heard about Castaway Cay Drowning and wanted to know what and how drowning happened. I understand some are annoyed with a few posts from newbies but I don't think it is necessary to lock the thread or track IP addresses. Those of you who are seasoned posters here should know how to ignore absurd posts instead of engaging with them.

We, family and friends, really appreciate those of you who shared the details, and we would like to get more details from others as well from this thread.

I hope # of posts I've made will not disprove my credibility. If anybody is in doubt, please pm me or check the memorial facebook page as I am managing the page for Eugene.

https://www.facebook.com/foreugene

We just disembarked from the Fantasy and wanted to provide some insight. We were on the beach that was adjacent to the snorkeling area. One member of our party was snorkeling and the other was watching children close to the shore. Suddenly, whistles were blown and lifeguards were rushing to the rope that divides the snorkeling beach from the family beach. I saw them bring out a seemingly lifeless body and a woman (did not appear to be related) was carrying his legs. He was young and we found out later had a wife and 5 year old daughter. They immediately began working on him. This was around 11:30/11:45. People were crying and it was horrible. Many children didn't see because they were busy playing and parents did their best to keep them distracted. Apparently, his snorkel vest was tangled on something, which prevented him from raising his head. This was in pretty shallow water. The Coast Guard helicopter came around 4:45, which was quite some time after the incident occured. It was right outside of our balcony and although someone was holding an iv bag. We didn't observe any breathing aids at all during this entire transfer which lasted about 10-15 mins. From our vantage point, it appeared as if no one worked on him at all during this time. We were told he didn't make it, but truly hope this is not the case. This is a huge tragedy and I hope that more information is released about what exactly occurred so this will never happen again.

Thank you for sharing insights here.
Unfortunately, my friend didn't make it. Hope this will never happen again to anyone.

We were right there when you helped bring him out. My husband (doctor) was helping with CPR. I was there with his wife and daughter (keeping them away) so they could work on him.
Were still both so upset, I've searched everywhere hoping to find out how he is.... I kept telling his wife, they're doing everything, he will be ok?? But is he ok??? That whole time plays over and over....
If you find out anything could someone please let us know.

I sincerely thank you and your husband from deepest heart for helping my friend. Unfortunately, my friend did not make it. His wife remembers you and she is very thankful that you were praying for the family while holding them away.
Thank you.

I sincerely thank you and your husband from deepest heart for helping my friend. Unfortunately, my friend did not make it. His wife remembers you and she is very thankful that you were praying for the family while holding them away.
Thank you.
Daisy123456789 was it you who stood on the beach with Wife and Daughter helping them while CPR was being administered? I am trying to help find all that were involved with helping the family. And do you know who the gentleman was that helped me try to get him out of the water?

When cruising I was surprised at the number of elderly in wheelchairs and on oxygen. While I was pleased to see family taking their parents /grandparents on the trip of their lives, it is inevitable that some may pass from natural causes periodically.......

Frankly, I can think of a lot worse places to be when called home.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter