dog park? Picnic area? Just wondering..

https://www.disneylists.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Waggin-Trails.jpg
Rule # 2: "All dogs must be supervised at all times by a person 12 years of older while in the dog park. Dog owners are responsible for the actions of their dogs."
So we have:
  • Use of the dog park by non-FW persons and dogs is questionable or prohibited.
  • All persons in the meet-up will need to walk about a mile from the resort entrance to the dog park, and another mile back.
  • The desire for a picnic spot does not mesh with (a) no food in the dog park or (b) eating at picnic tables outside the fenced area.
While the OP (personally or representing the entire group) doesn't want to leave WDW property, there doesn't seem to be a location that meets all the desires/needs.

Really, the only way to do what they want would be for all parties to be staying at Fort Wilderness.
  • No question about whether WDW/FW rules allow them access to the dog park.
  • Few, if any, issues with actually accessing the park.
  • Zero need to leave WDW, thereby not taking "hours" away from theme park time.

To those who took my questions seriously, thank you. I really did try to find what I was looking for online, but couldn't.

I know that POR is dog friendly, but I did not want to invite non guests with their pups to POR or even if it was allowed, and was looking for something that would be out of the way and not bother anyone. Not trying to get around rules at all, just trying to not have to pay for transportation off the resort. We aren't talking about hundreds of people and their dogs here....4 people and maybe 3 dogs.
We are not bringing our dog, but I would love to meet the dogs that I see daily online, in person.

I thought that in this day and age of internet relationships, this question wouldn't be seen as a negative. I know these people online, I like them...but want to meet in a public area....

So from the advice I could weed from the negative comments, we would definitely have to meet off site somewhere. So I will have to budget for that extra expense then.

There's a dog park at Fort Wilderness called "Waggin Trails", I believe. It's a bit of a hike from the main parking area, around a mile maybe?. It's a nice area for dogs to exercise, the only thing is I'm not sure if you have to be a guest at FW to go there, but a quick call to FW could answer that question. Good luck!

That's why I wondered if it would be a place that would agree, since it's dog friendly anyway. I may call to see, but I'm guessing it is only for the guests to use.

So you're want to go to Disney
World to hook up with other dog people at a dog park. This is a totally new thing on these boards. Following...
We are going on a family vacation and the people who live in the area would like to meet us. We aren't paying all the money to go to Disney to just meet them...We will be there for 2 weeks, and thought we would try to accommodate them for an hour or two.

Fort Wilderness apparently does have a dog area and if other Disney guests don’t want to come into contact with these dogs, I hope they are smart enough not to go there. It seems to me that a lot of people on these boards would go out of their way to visit it, just so they could complain.
I guess a lot of Disney people aren't dog people...

They aren’t going to Wdw in order to meet up. They are going to Disney AND want to meet up.

I go to Disney AND go to weight watchers meetings. Maybe I’d go to an adult children of alcoholics meeting. Etc.

This isn’t weird at all.

Except for the concept of off leash parks. Those are weird.

Then again, I was raised with Alaskan malamutes, and someone who lets them off leash is obviously trying to get rid of them. So.... Maybe if I’d been raised with GS, poodles, or Goldens I’d feel different.

What problem?

That someone asked a question, another one said “this exists but I don’t know if you’re allowed to go” and others say “no it’s for FW guests with dogs”? That doesn’t sound like a problem. Sounds like a ton of good info.

Thank you for your sane response. I love malamutes and huskies! But I have a cocker spaniel who doesn't NEED to be in an off leash park. It's just that an off leash park happens to be the most dog friendly spot.

Oh, the other thing I realized, catching up on this thread: the OP asks about a picnic area. The dog park prohibits snacks/food/treats - both canine and human.

We don't intend to eat anything. But a picnic area would be outdoors, and that's where the pups need to be.

https://www.disneylists.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Waggin-Trails.jpg
Rule # 2: "All dogs must be supervised at all times by a person 12 years of older while in the dog park. Dog owners are responsible for the actions of their dogs."
So we have:
  • Use of the dog park by non-FW persons and dogs is questionable or prohibited.
  • All persons in the meet-up will need to walk about a mile from the resort entrance to the dog park, and another mile back.
  • The desire for a picnic spot does not mesh with (a) no food in the dog park or (b) eating at picnic tables outside the fenced area.
While the OP (personally or representing the entire group) doesn't want to leave WDW property, there doesn't seem to be a location that meets all the desires/needs.

Really, the only way to do what they want would be for all parties to be staying at Fort Wilderness.
  • No question about whether WDW/FW rules allow them access to the dog park.
  • Few, if any, issues with actually accessing the park.
  • Zero need to leave WDW, thereby not taking "hours" away from theme park time.
Use of the dog park by non-FW persons and dogs is questionable or prohibited." is the answer...

1 mile is not a long distance to walk, and we wouldn't be picnicking, but might like to sit and talk. They are all Floridians, and I don't expect they want to stay at the FW...but of course they might, that's up to them.

I guess a lot of Disney people aren't dog people...

I think this is an unfair comment. Many of us like dogs, however we all understand that like most amenities, those you want to use are for resorts guests only. There are some resorts that welcome dogs, but the guests who are availing themselves of that perk are paying dearly for that, and might not be happy that you want your friends to be able to bring their animals to a Disney resort for free.

The areas that are open to dogs who are with WDW resort guests are limited, and those who do not want to be around animals know where they are. You may be comfortable bringing friends animals to a picnic area in a WDW resort, but I know that if we stumbled into that my DD would lose her lunch.

Think of your request as if you were attempting to bring a few of their family friends into your resort pool. This is clearly unacceptable, and many of those who were staying there might take issue with your idea, and would suggest you pay for a water park. This would not mean we disliked kids. We simply do not want to pay for the privilege of hosting your friends at our resort pool. You were only trying to save money and time for yourself, but you would be in clear violation of the rules. The same holds true with inviting friends to bring their dogs to visit you at FW.

I know that POR is dog friendly, but I did not want to invite non guests with their pups to POR or even if it was allowed
It's not dog-friendly, so much as pet dogs are allowed in some/limited rooms. But no, there's no real place for dogs to just hang out.
We will be there for 2 weeks, and thought we would try to accommodate them for an hour or two.
Two weeks? Why not take an afternoon and meet them somewhere? Does anybody know what the dog situation is at Disney Springs?

It's not dog-friendly, so much as pet dogs are allowed in some/limited rooms. But no, there's no real place for dogs to just hang out.

Two weeks? Why not take an afternoon and meet them somewhere? Does anybody know what the dog situation is at Disney Springs?

You are very invested in this subject. I am wondering why? When is the last time you stayed at FW or any of the other dog friendly resorts? Did you have a bad experience at one of the dog friendly resorts? We just stayed at POR and saw many dogs in the parks and at several resorts. All dogs and owners were wonderful and very well behaved.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/hotels-pet-friendly/

Last edited:
1 mile is not a long distance to walk

I was thinking the same thing. We walk several miles daily with our dog, thought it was a bit funny that folks made a big issue out of walking a mile to reach a dog park! OP I wish you the best of luck & am sorry you've had to put up with so many snarky comments. For what it's worth, I'd call FW & ask them if they have any suggestions for you. Enjoy your visit with your friends!

You are very invested in this subject. I am wondering why? When is the last time you stayed at FW or any of the other dog friendly resorts? Did you have a bad experience at one of the dog friendly resorts? We just stayed at POR and saw many dogs in the parks and at several resorts. All dogs and owners were wonderful and very well behaved.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/hotels-pet-friendly/
Wrong. I am a stickler for rules.
  • What I do, where I go, where I stay does not matter for this conversation.
  • I do not camp. What the OP does and where they go will not affect me.
  • It is genuinely regrettable that you view the various research i did and information i provided as negative to the degree of calling me out and questioning me.
  • Either you saw many service dogs in the parks, or you saw many let owners who lie about their dog being a service animal, or a combination of both.
  • Pets are not allowed in the parks. Emotional support animals are not allowed in the parks.
  • Pet-friendly resorts does not mean anyone from anywhere is welcome to bring their dogs to a meet at any of those four resorts. It means some rooms allow pets/ESAs - different from service dogs which are permitted anywhere.

Wrong. I am a stickler for rules.
  • What I do, where I go, where I stay does not matter for this conversation.
  • I do not camp. What the OP does and where they go will not affect me.
  • It is genuinely regrettable that you view the various research i did and information i provided as negative to the degree of calling me out and questioning me.

I am sorry if you found my post negative. It was not my intent. Looking at your post count it seems that you spend a large amount of time at WDW because you answer so many questions on so many topics. I was just wondering what your experience was at dog friendly resorts. I think providing first hand knowledge to people is important. That is why I was asking about your experiences. :flower1: I hope you have a wonderful day!

I am sorry if you found my post negative. It was not my intent. Looking at your post count it seems that you spend a large amount of time at WDW because you answer so many questions on so many topics. I was just wondering what your experience was at dog friendly resorts. I think providing first hand knowledge to people is important. That is why I was asking about your experiences. :flower1: I hope you have a wonderful day!

I found your post critical as well. You are correct. @kaytieeldr is a very helpful poster, and often will research to help folks here.
I find it strange that when people here stick to the rules that WDW imposes, and try to explain why something will or will not work, they are often criticized. I like dogs, however my DD does not. We are purposely not staying at a dog welcoming resort for that reason. We do not want to stumble across a group of people who are using the resort as a visitation center for their animals, because traveling will inconvenience them. Now I don't camp, and I am not planning to visit FW, however if the rules there stipulate that only dogs who are with paying resort guests are welcomed, I expect that rule should be followed, just as I expect that there be no extra people hopping into a resort pool, or whatever else may come up in the course of a stay.

I found your post critical as well. You are correct. @kaytieeldr is a very helpful poster, and often will research to help folks here.
I find it strange that when people here stick to the rules that WDW imposes, and try to explain why something will or will not work, they are often criticized. I like dogs, however my DD does not. We are purposely not staying at a dog welcoming resort for that reason. We do not want to stumble across a group of people who are using the resort as a visitation center for their animals, because traveling will inconvenience them. Now I don't camp, and I am not planning to visit FW, however if the rules there stipulate that only dogs who are with paying resort guests are welcomed, I expect that rule should be followed, just as I expect that there be no extra people hopping into a resort pool, or whatever else may come up in the course of a stay.

Like I said I was not trying to be critical! Sorry if it came across that way.

I posted a video that I had recently watched that showed a couple who live in Orlando visiting the dog park at FW. They had no issue at all. Like I said first hand knowledge is helpful.

I am sorry your daughter is afraid of dogs. When we were there last month I would estimate that we saw at least 30 dogs in the parks. They were on leashes , in strollers and on the monorail. My son and his girlfriend who live locally and are AP holders said that the number of dogs in the parks has been on the rise.

Last edited:
Like I said I was not trying to be critical! Sorry if it came across that way.

I posted a video that I had recently watched that showed a couple who live in Orlando visiting the dog park at FW. They had no issue at all. Like I said first hand knowledge is helpful.

I am sorry your daughter is afraid of dogs. When we were there last month I would estimate that we saw at least 30 dogs in the parks. They were on leashes , in strollers and on the monorail. My son and his girlfriend who live locally and are AP holders said that the number of dogs in the parks has been on the rise.

I should have been more clear, and was just discussing how I had taken the post. I am sorry.

My DD is not afraid of dogs. She does not like them. SHe has no issues with service animals and supports that they are welcomed however if you saw them all over the parks, in strollers. Etc, you saw pets, and that is going to become problematic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter