dog park? Picnic area? Just wondering..

jelo

Preparing for our Universally Magical vacation
Good Morning!

We are headed to Disney!! Yay!

I have met some people online thru a FB group(dog breed) and we would love to have a meet up.

We don't want the extra expense of renting a car or car service to drive us somewhere off the resort area. So I was wondering if Disney had a dog friendly area, picnic area or dog park somewhere?

If we were to meet offsite, this meeting could take hours, and I don't want to miss Disney time!! LOL!

There's a dog park at Fort Wilderness called "Waggin Trails", I believe. It's a bit of a hike from the main parking area, around a mile maybe?. It's a nice area for dogs to exercise, the only thing is I'm not sure if you have to be a guest at FW to go there, but a quick call to FW could answer that question. Good luck!

Interesting, especially in that the site I linked doesn't seem aware of it.

Couple of things the OP should be aware of before choosing this as their meeting spot:
As the woman in the video stated, it's about a mile from the VS parking lot to the dog park.
No personal vehicles are allowed inside except VS guests.
Pets aren't allowed on WDW transportation.
And then the rules on the sign. It might also be a good idea to ask on the Camping forum, whether outside dogs are allowed to visit the dog park.

So you're want to go to Disney
World to hook up with other dog people at a dog park. This is a totally new thing on these boards. Following...

Meet at a Public Dog Park offsite. Think about all of the other Disney Guests who do not want to come into contact with your animals.
Fort Wilderness apparently does have a dog area and if other Disney guests don’t want to come into contact with these dogs, I hope they are smart enough not to go there. It seems to me that a lot of people on these boards would go out of their way to visit it, just so they could complain.

I disagree that anyone would go out of their way to visit a fenced in no leash dog park with a list of rules, to complain. Now, granted, it that person were to exist, they would be able to use WDW transportation to get close to the area.

FW has allowed dogs for quite some time.

However, if you're at a different resort, you are kinda out of luck because WDW transport doesn't allow pets, and it is legal for Mears, Uber and Lyft drivers to deny service to persons traveling with pets.

(Key word is pets. I used it on purpose. Before anyone discusses the scenarios where a dog is allowed. Said dogs are not classified as pets.)

The dog park at Ft Wilderness is for Guests of that resort (just like Feature pools). Sounds like the Management there needs to be alerted to this new potential problem. It's a shame that some people always try to get around the rules with no regard for other Guests.

The dog park at Ft Wilderness is for Guests of that resort (just like Feature pools). Sounds like the Management there needs to be alerted to this new potential problem. It's a shame that some people always try to get around the rules with no regard for other Guests.

OP asked for suggestions. Some else suggested maybe looking at the Fort Wilderness dog park. Now it's a new potential problem that needs to be reported to management?

It's a shame some people always have to go overboard and make things into something they aren't. I think just letting OP know that the park is intended for Fort Wilderness guests only would have been sufficient, since they likely had no idea.

So you're want to go to Disney
World to hook up with other dog people at a dog park. This is a totally new thing on these boards. Following...

They aren’t going to Wdw in order to meet up. They are going to Disney AND want to meet up.

I go to Disney AND go to weight watchers meetings. Maybe I’d go to an adult children of alcoholics meeting. Etc.

This isn’t weird at all.

Except for the concept of off leash parks. Those are weird.

Then again, I was raised with Alaskan malamutes, and someone who lets them off leash is obviously trying to get rid of them. So.... Maybe if I’d been raised with GS, poodles, or Goldens I’d feel different.

What problem?

That someone asked a question, another one said “this exists but I don’t know if you’re allowed to go” and others say “no it’s for FW guests with dogs”? That doesn’t sound like a problem. Sounds like a ton of good info.

Oh, the other thing I realized, catching up on this thread: the OP asks about a picnic area. The dog park prohibits snacks/food/treats - both canine and human.

Fort Wilderness has picnic tables outside of the dog fenced in area. I say bring a sandwich and enjoy OP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter