Does your job allow you to vacation anywhere?

On a side note, someone mentioned tracking and I have read some interesting articles about that. As if we did not already know that we are tracked via our phones I am reading how how much information they are gathering and how it is being used. While most articles assure you that you are not identified by name the reality is they have that data readily available. One article dealt with North Texas, which is really the DFW Metroplex. The head of a phone tracking company said that they had correlated data and were able to determine peoples movements and meetings/ encounters. A "meeting" involved a users phone being within a certain proximity to another users phone and measuring the number of encounters that lasted more than a certain amount of time. The average encounters outside the home pre pandemic was determined to be like 8 or so a day. When the area was shutdown in phase 1 that number dropped to 3 and then when it opened back up the number jumped to 6 and that correlated exactly with the spike in cases in North Texas. So they are certainly using the tracking data, and it would be a very easy step to start tracking peoples travels. I am not a lawyer but can certainly imagine that if you employer issues you a work cell phone then they have the right to track it. If so then you may think your employer does not know where you are but they can find out.

Not paranoid about it or anything and not saying big brother is watching but it is extremely clear that he has the technology and capability to do so. Also along the same lines most places I go now refuse cash which means credit or debit cards so they can track you that way as well. We are definitely moving into a strange new world. I am by no means a conspiracy theorist but goodness knows those who are, are being given tons of ammunition to feed the fire.

To me it's not a conspiracy, it's just becoming a reality that we cannot just disappear off the grid any more. No theories anymore but reality.

I thought this thread was about whether your job allows you to vacation anywhere. It's not new states having such restrictions especially in the new england area with questionnaires, etc but this still isn't related to whether or not your job allows you to travel or not travel. The answer is still you can travel but you'll have to do xyz after or once you're there.

Also I'd be careful in saying "this is why we are a low state"--many states fell to that folly and ended up sliding backwards fast.

My work is forcing a 14 day quarantine (paid) after any trips longer than 2 days out of the state. I manage about 16 employees and everyone is jumping ship to take advantage of this sweet deal. We have a lot of part time staff that do not have paid vacation time so they are loving it. A week of unpaid vacation plus 2 weeks of paid vacation time where they are expected to quarantine from work, but are free to just live their best lives getting paid without doing crap. Yes, I'm a little bitter. I have to make the work schedule and it is not fun or fair when I have to schedule around this stupidity. I think the quarantine should be unpaid, taking a vacation is a choice. Taking an out of state vacation as opposed to a staycation is a choice. We are literally paying staff to make unwise choices (or in the case of one person who claimed to be out of state but instead did not go anywhere- lie about fictional vacations).

My work is forcing a 14 day quarantine (paid) after any trips longer than 2 days out of the state. I manage about 16 employees and everyone is jumping ship to take advantage of this sweet deal. We have a lot of part time staff that do not have paid vacation time so they are loving it. A week of unpaid vacation plus 2 weeks of paid vacation time where they are expected to quarantine from work, but are free to just live their best lives getting paid without doing crap. Yes, I'm a little bitter. I have to make the work schedule and it is not fun or fair when I have to schedule around this stupidity. I think the quarantine should be unpaid, taking a vacation is a choice. Taking an out of state vacation as opposed to a staycation is a choice. We are literally paying staff to make unwise choices (or in the case of one person who claimed to be out of state but instead did not go anywhere- lie about fictional vacations).
I understand why you're bitter and I would be too. BUT, on the other hand, if you tell people the quarantine is unpaid, you risk them NOT telling you about the travel and then coming to work infected but asymptomatic. I don't know what the right way would be.

Curious. How would your employer know where you went? I’ve wondered this about all the states that are mandating 14 day quarantine post travel. How do “they” know where you traveled to?

lol. I’m not paranoid, I don’t think we are being tracked. But I think this is something that people are being expected to self report. And I don’t trust that everyone is going to honor these mandates.
I guess you could lie but I wouldn't consider doing so but some may. Although I believe generally most people will do the right thing...at least the ones I know. I may not like some of the requirements and/or precautions but I don't have a problem complying with them.

Maybe the answer for this particular situation is to make tighter vacation policies. Why are you getting a whole week of unpaid vacation and still employed? I'm not saying that isn't unheard of but sounds like the company would be opening them up to abuse before this pandemic and in some cases it's being exploited slightly more than before. If you didn't get paid vacation as part of your employment status seems like being gone for a whole week would be issues with availability.

I get your bitterness but I think maybe this issue lies with this time off from work policy not that the quarantine is paid. The paid part typically is because companies are trying not to run into issues where employees were denied the time off afterwards to isolate or continued working because they had to (for financial reasons or fear of getting let go) or in part it incentive dishonest behavior. Starting at the front end by disincentivize vacations by tightening up vacation policies (like how many days you can take with it being unpaid, how available you are, etc) may help curb that part especially as you have a lot of part time staff that do not qualify for paid vacation time.

As far as the staycation there are states that may be considered higher risk because of large increase in spread but that doesn't mean taking vacation days but staying home means you're 100% less at risk. Your behaviors during your vacation time can directly influence that.

I thought this thread was about whether your job allows you to vacation anywhere. It's not new states having such restrictions especially in the new england area with questionnaires, etc but this still isn't related to whether or not your job allows you to travel or not travel. The answer is still you can travel but you'll have to do xyz after or once you're there.

Also I'd be careful in saying "this is why we are a low state"--many states fell to that folly and ended up sliding backwards fast.

Yeah except those states opened too fast &
Early. Some states actually take this serious.
And yes because I work for the state I am restricted on where I can go and that’s my job rules. So it is right on track with what I posted at the beginning my job restricts where I can travel period!

Yeah except those states opened too fast &
Early. Some states actually take this serious.
And yes because I work for the state I am restricted on where I can go and that’s my job rules. So it is right on track with what I posted at the beginning my job restricts where I can travel period!
Hawaii didn't open too fast, in fact they have what is considered a very strict policy. They just had their single highest daily amount of cases since the pandemic. The cause was attributed to mostly gatherings (tourism isn't really happening there).

Way too many people IMO use the excuse of "well yeah that's because that state reopened too fast" the concentration shouldn't be on a state reopening too fast at least not anymore. It should be on how quickly the tides can turn when you become too complacent, when you forget that citizen behaviors within your own state also can be a large factor not just outside visitors, when you forget..it can happen to you. I've seen quite a few posts from people who focus a lot on out of state visitors but rarely much concentration on their own citizens. I just hope everyone is staying vigilant and keeps going. We're way too early in this. You've seen states that were quite fine for a while, no large measurable uptick in cases in reopening. It was simply citizen behaviors who let their guard down.

I think it was meant more along the lines of people won’t really be allowed to come here on vacation without quarantining or risk fines. I kind of understood the post to tie in with the topic. A lot of these threads and topics are all related so I get where the poster was coming from.

As far as a “low state”, I’m praying it stays that way but things can certainly change on a dime.

Maybe the answer for this particular situation is to make tighter vacation policies. Why are you getting a whole week of unpaid vacation and still employed? I'm not saying that isn't unheard of but sounds like the company would be opening them up to abuse before this pandemic and in some cases it's being exploited slightly more than before. If you didn't get paid vacation as part of your employment status seems like being gone for a whole week would be issues with availability.
So people who don't work for companies that offer paid vacation don't deserve to take week long vacations? Ever?

I think it was meant more along the lines of people won’t really be allowed to come here on vacation without quarantining or risk fines. I kind of understood the post to tie in with the topic. A lot of these threads and topics are all related so I get where the poster was coming from.
Totally, but I think that had already been pointed out to the poster. There are a lot of states with quarantines at the state level. Employers may or may not be following this as part of their policy but at this rate it's almost a daily update of what state is added to this state's quarantine list and what state has been removed. It still isn't meaning a person's employer is prohibiting travel to that state unless people have stated as such which is what the poster created this post about. I can see if the thread was about if your company is following state guidelines for quarantines but it was about does your job allow you to vacation anywhere. Clearly a lot of people are saying their job is allowing them to travel anywhere at the present moment with some saying they will have you quarantine when you get back. Either way I don't disagree with your viewpoint on the subject so I'll let it drop and move on :)
As far as a “low state”, I’m praying it stays that way but things can certainly change on a dime.
I pray as well for all the states that have been able to drastically reduce their numbers that they can keep it that way and states that have drastically increased their numbers that they can get back to a better place soon enough :hug:

So people who don't work for companies that offer paid vacation don't deserve to take week long vacations? Ever?
Not at all what I said. I think that's a way of going to the extreme for the sake of going to extreme because no where in there did I say you don't deserve a vacation. Deserving one and it being part of company policy are way different things.

Take retail for example. Part of your employment is being available (often nights and weekends typically with large blocks of time that are blackout dates). If you took too many days off from work it may go against company policy because you're not available. Many retail workers don't earn vacation time.

I say my comment having worked in fields where it would have basically been impossible to take vacation right now simply due to vacation policy and that was both at places with paid or unpaid vacation time. It didn't mean I didn't deserve it, of course I did. But in relation to person's complaint about the 2 week quarantine being paid I felt in my opinion, that the focus should have rather been on the front end as that would make the person's viewpoint of a vacation being unnecessary (can't say I disagree with them at the present moment) less desirable right now simply due to the vacation policy in place; it may cut down on abuse. That's exactly what the quarantines at the state level are doing in terms of desirability. It makes it a deterrent to coming and going from certain places because of the length of time involved which impact people with paid vacation time and without paid vacation time.

Actually they don't. You even admit it in the OP...
If I go to any of other states I have to do a 14 day quarantine before work.
If your employer truly "restricted" you on where you could go, you wouldn't be allowed to go there. Meaning if they find out you went there, you could be fired. But you even admit that if you go to certain states, you need to quarantine before returning to work. Therefore you can still go to those states. It's your choice. You just need to quarantine when you return. Just because they make it unpleasant doesn't mean you're restricted.

I get your bitterness but I think maybe this issue lies with this time off from work policy not that the quarantine is paid. The paid part typically is because companies are trying not to run into issues where employees were denied the time off afterwards to isolate or continued working because they had to (for financial reasons or fear of getting let go) or in part it incentive dishonest behavior. Starting at the front end by disincentivize vacations by tightening up vacation policies (like how many days you can take with it being unpaid, how available you are, etc) may help curb that part especially as you have a lot of part time staff that do not qualify for paid vacation time.

As far as the staycation there are states that may be considered higher risk because of large increase in spread but that doesn't mean taking vacation days but staying home means you're 100% less at risk. Your behaviors during your vacation time can directly influence that.
My company is non profit and most policies are very weak. The policy makers are an unpaid board of directors who consider their positions more about padding their resumes rather than anything they really care too much about. I literally have one employee that has missed 6 weeks of work due to 2 vacations (one to Myrtle Beach, another to Florida Keys). Pre-covid she would have been paid 0 work hours, with the covid measures in place she has enjoyed 80 hours of pay. She has been employed with us for barely 5 months. The board of directors tells me that their hands are tied and that the 4 weeks of paid time is 'to protect the rest of us'. The 'out of state' part is stupid as I live in a state that has pockets of very high risk areas.

Hawaii didn't open too fast, in fact they have what is considered a very strict policy. They just had their single highest daily amount of cases since the pandemic. The cause was attributed to mostly gatherings (tourism isn't really happening there).

Yeah, 60 new cases a day is their highest so far for Hawai'i. Compared to Texas, Florida, etc, that's fantastic. Maybe pick another state as your example?

Yeah, 60 new cases a day is their highest so far for Hawai'i. Compared to Texas, Florida, etc, that's fantastic. Maybe pick another state as your example?
With all due respect that's part of the problem. When you're talking about a state reopening too soon you're comparing what the cases were relative to when they reopened and the rate of acceleration in comparison to the phases (and what was included in the phases) and how quickly a state moved from one phase to the next.

Of course Texas, FL and other have high numbers but they are problematic because of what their numbers were and what happened over time especially when you look at FL recently. I agree Hawaii looks fantastic when compared to the other states but that's not what you should be looking at. Hawaii relative to their cases over time have gone up to the highest in the whole pandemic and they are having issues stemming not from reopening but from gatherings mostly. You cannot just use another state just because the case amount is lower than another state If you were to look at overall numbers you'd have to include states that have high numbers in comparison to other states and yet some states are decreasing thus they are in a better position.

Comparing states to states in terms of raw number muddies the waters. It's comparing what each states' numbers were over time. In a nutshell the poster said "yeah because those states reopened too soon" but that not indicative of what occurred everywhere. Hawaii was just one example but there are other states that were fine (considering that is) until longer into their reopening plan. Fatigue, being over it, choosing to engage in riskier behaviors (like gatherings) because you reached your point, more specifically bars (which weren't always allowed soon into a reopening plan), not mandating masks in enough time (tied with compliance of mask usage), etc are all part of what contributes to rising cases. It's not just a simple "they reopened too soon". So yes I stand my example using Hawaii (as one that is not tied to reopening too quickly) which knows it needs to get a handle on its rising cases quickly so it doesn't slip into a situation that other states are experiencing. ETA: and I should say this is sorta getting off topic and I take the responsibility for bringing that to the table.

My company is non profit and most policies are very weak. The policy makers are an unpaid board of directors who consider their positions more about padding their resumes rather than anything they really care too much about. I literally have one employee that has missed 6 weeks of work due to 2 vacations (one to Myrtle Beach, another to Florida Keys). Pre-covid she would have been paid 0 work hours, with the covid measures in place she has enjoyed 80 hours of pay. She has been employed with us for barely 5 months. The board of directors tells me that their hands are tied and that the 4 weeks of paid time is 'to protect the rest of us'. The 'out of state' part is stupid as I live in a state that has pockets of very high risk areas.
I'm sorry :( That does sound frustrating. I can't imagine 6 weeks! Yes I do agree on the out of state for some areas that makes sense but for others you could be just hopping around in your state and yet be going to places with a fairly high rate of spread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter