Do you think it's appropriate to take children to an alcohol centered event, even if they allow all ages?

For example, a wine tasting, beer fest, etc. An event where the main purpose is to drink.
Depends on the event. If you're just going into a winery for a tour and tasting it's fine. But if it is an all evening tasting event, somewhere, then probably not. And definitely not if it's just a drinking fest type event. Although those tend to be 21 and up only around here so it wouldn't really be an issue.

Last edited:
I think it depends, we have gone to events like these but not with the purpose to get "drunk" but to taste. We enjoy learning about different wines and local beers.

We have over 100 breweries in our county and there are kids at them all the time, looking very bored. However, all the beer festivals I've been to have all been 21 and over events.

I think it depends on the venue, the type of event, & the children.

We took our kids with us on a tour of a distillery that included free tastings. No one was getting drunk, & the tour was informative.

For example, a wine tasting, beer fest, etc. An event where the main purpose is to drink.

A wine tasting or other alcohol tasting event, no.

A brewfest? Depends on what they would have available for the kids. I would go earlier in the day, rather than later, to help avoid some crowds.

A brewery tour or winery tour, sure, as long as they are old enough to behave. I would not like to be on a winery tour with a crying infant in the group, or a tantruming 3 year old.

It really depends on the circumstances. I went to Italy in 2017 with my daughters--the younger one was 14. The trip included touring a winery and having a wine tasting. I let her sample some of the wines. She tried a few sips, no big deal. She also wasn't the youngest person there (I have no idea if other parents offered wine tastings).

We went back to Italy in 2018, when my youngest was 12. He was also offered wine at various venues/meals. NBD.

We're going on a cruise this summer, and are doing an excursion in Sweden that includes a visit to an ice bar. There, I think minors get a non-alcoholic drink. My kids are fine with that--neither of the younger ones were much impressed with the wines they tried.

No problem. We're surrounded by dozens of breweries, wineries, and even ciderys here in central Va. A lot of them have playgrounds, food, etc. On the weekends, it's kind of a festival atmosphere, with live music, food trucks etc. We live in a rural area, so nothing goes much past dark here, like 11-7. Not exactly a raccous adult vibe.

If I had kids, I’d probably avoid taking them to event where they’d be bored the ENTIRE time. That’s not fun for anybody

I would be willing to expose them to adults who were drunk, provided that their father & I didn’t go there to get drunk (drink, sure). If that were the case I’d leave behind

I would never take my kid on a pub crawl.

But Cincinnati has a big Oktoberfest where it is promoted as a family event with stuff for all ages. Naturally, drinking is the number one thing at this event, but we have taken her in the daytime with us and enjoyed food/beer and fun activities for the whole family.

Depends on the specifics, but in wine country it's very common to see families at wineries. It's more of a social thing and many of the wineries are very scenic and have food/picnic areas. I've met up with friends at wineries before with kids present and the adults will try a bit of wine, and the kids will run around and snack on some food. I don't see anything wrong with it, and some of them even have areas/activities for kids. The kids had a lot of fun playing together and weren't bored at all.

We have a wonderful local beer garden that allows kids and dogs. It has outdoor type games, board games, music, etc. They have seasonal events, too. What is NOT good about the kids is the parents who let them run around despite the multiple signs saying to not let your kids do so. I have seen a few...collisions. Other than that, I'm ok with them. Its not a meat market type place.

There are tons of breweries, cideries and distilleries popping up and all the ones I've been too are kid friendly. I don't have an issue with it.
I did go on one brewery tour on our summer vacation where no kids were allowed on the tour but they were allowed in the bar area. I am going to an alcohol fest in a few weeks and it is 21 and over only.

Each 'event' could be structured completely different so it's not a hard and fast rule for me.

There are wineries that have games and whatnot available and things to occupy kids (and adults) but if the intent is to drive from winery to winery getting samples that's probably not the best place to be dragging the kids around.

Brewery tours sometimes have separated ones for those who are of age and those who are not and sometimes there's not a limit on the tour just the obvious limit on the samples. Tours, as much as they can be about the samples at the end can be quite educational.

A festival def. depends on how it is set up. Boulevardia (hosted by Boulevard Brewery) is a large festival. It is centered around beer, food, and musicians, etc. Kids are def. kept in mind and in fact kids 12 and under are free. Now if you're under 16 you cannot enter without adults there.

I would think you'll more run into "don't belong there" situations when the kids are left to roam free and are causing a ruckus or when parents get judgement glares or comments towards behaviors observed at such events as that's more of a user-beware issue.

My days of doing anything that was "centered" around alcohol were over long before I had any kids. But someone mentioned a brewery tour earlier and I can highly recommend the Budweiser brewery tour in St Louis as enjoyable for the whole family. Beautiful Clydesdale ponies and the Dalmatians, an interesting look at the brewery process, and beer samples for the grownups. And it's free!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter