Do you think it's appropriate to take children to an alcohol centered event, even if they allow all ages?

The beer/cider fests I've been to don't allow anyone under 21.

When I was a kid, my parents dragged my sisters and I (9, 12, 14) to a bunch of wineries one day when we were on vacation in CA. We did not have much fun, but it was never an issue that we were there.

Sure. We've brought our kids to breweries and such. It's pretty typical around here.

Signed - a Minnesotan who spends a good chunk of my time in WI.

nope I think I it’s wrong but most people are not like me. I do not drink in front of kids. When I’m on a cruise I only drink in the adult areas.

If an event or venue is primarily for adults, I don't think people should bring their children even if not specifically forbidden. It is absolutely fine to have adult only events. Kids don't have to be included in everything that their parents or adult family members do.

I think it's fine depending on what your goal is. Kids are around people drinking all the time, Christmas parties, weddings, bbq's etc. Now if the main point of the evening was to get drop dead, drink till you pass out and puke drunk, then no. But a brewery tour or wine tour when you have a sample at the end? I think that's fine. It's how kids learn to drink responsibly.

I think it depends on the situation and the kids. :)

When I was a kid there were times we'd be on vacation or on a day trip through a certain region or town and if there was a winery, we'd stop. My parents stopped at playgrounds and toy stores, too, so it was a lesson in consideration, fairness, and patience for us. They didn't stay a long time and we were old enough for it to be reasonable to simply tell us to sit quietly for a bit and for us to actually be able to do so.

If the younger kids got bored quickly, the older ones would entertain them. We almost always wound up with a package of wine crackers in appreciation for decent behavior, which believe it or not, we considered to be a real treat, LOL!

For those mentioning that the kids will definitely be bored the entire time, do you not go out to eat or just sit somewhere and have a conversation? I guess I just don’t see how sitting at a table in a brewery is any more boring than sitting at a restaurant or on a park bench.

My kids (now teens, oldest is 21) have been to many breweries. They actually really enjoy the tours and most places we go either have food trucks, live music, or board games. They’re more like coffee shops from the 90s— a comfortable place to hang out and talk.

That said, I have been annoyed quite a few times with other people’s (young) kids and won’t bring mine to certain venues because they feel more like they’re just for adults. In those situations, I think having kids around sometimes makes people uncomfortable and I wouldn’t want to ruin anyone else’s experience.

For those mentioning that the kids will definitely be bored the entire time, do you not go out to eat or just sit somewhere and have a conversation? I guess I just don’t see how sitting at a table in a brewery is any more boring than sitting at a restaurant or on a park bench.
If you're going to a winery for samples or a brewery for samples (so outside of a tour) there's not much else going on but looking at the list of what they have, being given advice on options depending on your tastes, purchasing either wine or beer, etc. One of the wineries we go to from time to time it's just a tasting room with tables and someone comes to the tables with the wine list, you check off what ones you want to try, and they bring those out to you, then you either purchase wine or not. There's no other draw there (but the wine IS good). That said they have specific nights and events where they bring in food trucks, where they have smaller concerts, and bands playing and those are more geared towards 'fun for all'.

Sure. We take our kids to breweries & cideries all the time - we own a vacation home at a ski resort and have probably 15-20 breweries/cideries/wineries in a 10 mile radius of our house. Modeling responsible alcohol consumption is one way to raise children who become responsible consumers of alcohol, if they choose to consume it. My kids regularly see DH and I drink alcohol, but they've never seen us intoxicated because we never get intoxicated. We just choose to model good behavior.

No.
What if the kid is your sober transportation? ;)
I'd call an Uber rather than count on my teen to drive me around while I'm drunk.
I grew up in WI, raised our son in da U.P., and both places are like the line in "Sweet Home Alabama", "A baby....in the bar....". Lots of children in bars playing video games, having fish fry, etc. Not saying it's right, just saying it's not unusual.....
I was that kid. My alcoholic Dad frequently took me out to bars; in retrospect, I think my mom sent me out with him trying to get him to spend more time with me /thinking he wouldn't drink if I were along too. Yeah, I was allowed to have soda and French fries in the bars -- things that were not allowed at home often -- but I very much disliked going with him.
I think it totally depends on the circumstances and the kids. We did a 10-night California Coast road trip last summer. We stopped to taste a few wines at a warehouse one day and then at a winery on one other day (we wanted to buy a few bottles for the rest of our trip and we wanted to taste what we were buying first). In total, I'd say it took about 2.5 hours. Our kids were 11 & 13 at the time, so definitely old enough to occupy themselves with books and devices. Nobody batted an eye, and we felt completely comfortable with them there.
Okay, I can see this -- not that it's ideal, but I can see it. It was in the middle of a trip, so it's not reasonable for you to leave the kids at home, and they're a little young to stay alone in a hotel room for an afternoon. And, as you say, they were old enough to sit in a corner and occupy themselves. You're talking about an hour or so in the middle of a trip that didn't center around drinking. I assume this was balanced out with kid-oriented stops like water parks, etc.
nope I think I it’s wrong but most people are not like me. I do not drink in front of kids. When I’m on a cruise I only drink in the adult areas.
I won't say I never drank in front of my kids when they were small -- I am a very infrequent drinker (much to do with the example of an alcoholic father). My kids occasionally saw me get a Margarita when we went out to a Mexican place; every now and then they saw me have a drink at home in the evening -- frequently they saw me use wine in cooking. They never saw me drink to the point of drunkenness or drive while drinking. They often saw their dad have a single beer at a restaurant, then pass the keys to me (because I rarely get a drink at a restaurant). We both set an example of moderation and responsbility.

There are a few events like this in my area. I'd it is split on those that allow under 21's and those that don't. IMO, kids do not belong at adult venues / events.

No I do not. I ran a local brewery tasting room. We did not have a restaurant, it was just beer. I was always amazed at how many dad would bring the kids with him while he had a pint (or two). This is not families traveling with kids stopping in while on the road. These were locals.

For the record, I am also against alcohol being offered (to adults) at kids birthday parties, graduations, etc.

When I was twelve I dragged my dad to Oktoberfest here. My art teacher was there, he set up an art booth in the fest, and I was a teacher's pet and loved him, best damn teacher I ever had.
Never ever again though. Dad had a few beers and then... drove me home. As I said, never again. It's a wonder we survived that particular drive.

If I had a kid I'd probably avoid. Yes, they have kid's booths and art, but I just can't predict how the other possibly inebriated adults will behave and quite frankly as an adult I don't want to be around it. I won't judge anyone that has a kid there though, not at all. Just my choice.

For the record, I am also against alcohol being offered (to adults) at kids birthday parties, graduations, etc.
Are you OK with alcohol being served to adults at a wedding reception where there are kids in attendance? If so, do you see a big difference between children seeing adults drinking alcohol at a wedding reception versus at a graduation party?

Are you OK with alcohol being served to adults at a wedding reception where there are kids in attendance? If so, do you see a big difference between children seeing adults drinking alcohol at a wedding reception versus at a graduation party?

The wedding is an event for ADULTS (the couple getting married), not children. The graduation party is FOR the minor/children. It is not the children SEEING the adults drinking that is the issue for me. It is who the event is being held for. Being held for adults, with children in attendance - okay. Being held for a child, with adults in attendance - not okay.

The wedding is an event for ADULTS (the couple getting married), not children. The graduation party is FOR the minor/children. It is not the children SEEING the adults drinking that is the issue for me. It is who the event is being held for. Being held for adults, with children in attendance - okay. Being held for a child, with adults in attendance - not okay.
Not for nothing but people get married all the time under the age of 21 where the couple wouldn't legally be able to drink.

My high school graduation I was 18 (an adult) and not a minor unless you were referring to minor as in under 21.

Maybe it's just the uniqueness of our rules and norms that Federally the drinking age is 21 but at the same time at age 18 for many things you're considered an adult too.

So I guess are you only considering "adult events" to mean when the individuals in question are aged 21 and up?

So I guess are you only considering "adult events" to mean when the individuals in question are aged 21 and up?
In this context YES (obviously).

Events for those 18 - 20 should not include alcohol, as they are not legally allowed to be drinking. I do not want to (in fact won't participate) in any type of discussion about whether they "should" be allowed to drink or not.

In this context YES (obviously).

Events for those 18 - 20 should not include alcohol, as they are not legally allowed to be drinking. I do not want to (in fact won't participate) in any type of discussion about whether they "should" be allowed to drink or not.
Actually, it’s the sale of alcohol to persons under 21 that is typically illegal. There are many, many circumstances where those under 21 are legally allowed to drink including religious ceremonies/weddings, because it was provided to them by an of-age spouse, or simply because they have parental permission to do so.

https://www.mic.com/articles/148513...-the-us-this-map-shows-drinking-laws-by-state
For a state-by-state breakdown:
https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/underage-drinking/state-profiles

Interesting. My perspective would be that the event is really more FOR the guests than for the person that is being celebrated.

When I got married, I was thinking more about the comfort and enjoyment of my guests than just what I like (I didn't even stay for the whole reception). I was 21 when I got married, but had my wedding been a year earlier I can't imagine even considering that no one else should be allowed to drink alcohol just because I couldn't. To me that would be like if I were a super picky eater or had lots of food allergies that I would only serve foods that I like even if I knew no one else would enjoy them. Or if I were having a birthday party and all my guests were kosher, I wouldn't serve pork as the only food option because the party is "for me".

ETA: I didn't mean "interesting" as snarky. I genuinely do find it interesting to see how differently people see things and like to discuss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter