Do you think it's appropriate to take children to an alcohol centered event, even if they allow all ages?

Actually, it’s the sale of alcohol to persons under 21 that is typically illegal. There are many, many circumstances where those under 21 are legally allowed to drink including religious ceremonies/weddings, because it was provided to them by an of-age spouse, or simply because they have parental permission to do so.

https://www.mic.com/articles/148513...-the-us-this-map-shows-drinking-laws-by-state
For a state-by-state breakdown:
https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/underage-drinking/state-profiles
Yeah that's why I said Federally. State by state's vary.

For instance in my state it is allowed "the furnishing by a parent or legal guardian to a child or ward but the exception only applies to cereal malt beverages (defined as any fermented but undistilled liquor brewed or made from malt or from a mixture of malt or malt substitute, but not including any liquor which is more than 3.2 percent ABW)."

IDK how many people really do that though.

I get the PP's point if they just wanted to use a generalized rule of no go for that age bracket.

As said above it all depends. I have a friend who just did a winery tour in South Africa. They had juice tastings for the kids. I thought that was fantastic. If it is a place that welcomes children absolutely. I would generally say during the day not at night. Also as long as my kids aren't bothering other people. Also just because it was mentioned, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with there being alcohol at events where kids are present such as birthday parties and such. One reason is I refuse to treat alcohol as taboo. My children know that my husband and I drink occasionally and they know that we are responsible about it. This will help them as they get older.

nope I think I it’s wrong but most people are not like me. I do not drink in front of kids. When I’m on a cruise I only drink in the adult areas.

I am just curious about your opinion. You have every right to it, and I understand that.

I think we can both agree drinking in excess in front of children is not acceptable. But do you think it is wrong to have a glass of wine at dinner at home in front of kids? Do you think it is teaching kids something abhorrent? IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with having a drink in front of kids at dinner or social event as long as it is handled responsibly, and the given that you aren't driving. I am just trying to learn your viewpoint, maybe gain a new perspective.

Another question for everyone. My parishes Summer Festival. It is definitely for families, with kids carnival games and fair rides. Also has food booths, live music (geared for adults), gambling (adults only), and sells beer/wine. There are police all over the festival making sure of the safety of all visitors. Is it wrong for our church to sell alcohol at this event? I can tell you it is there biggest seller. I see nothing wrong with it, we have never had an incident of drunken crazy behavior and it attracts a lot of non parishioners and is always a fun time for all.

For example, a wine tasting, beer fest, etc. An event where the main purpose is to drink.
Heck yeah! We live in Germany and kids, babies are all over beer and wein
fests. It's part of the culture. Not everybody drinks, and there is great food and enterainment.. I think it's a cultural thing... Alcohol and responsible drinking should not be demonized..

And who said that an "drinking" social event means one needs to be drunk... Weinfest by us are family days... we ride our bikes, and my DH and I have a glass or two of wine and eat with the kids. and head back home... great afternoon.

american are strange in how they perceive alcohol in a social setting. No wonder college kids go nuts once they are out of the house.

I am just curious about your opinion. You have every right to it, and I understand that.

I think we can both agree drinking in excess in front of children is not acceptable. But do you think it is wrong to have a glass of wine at dinner at home in front of kids? Do you think it is teaching kids something abhorrent? IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with having a drink in front of kids at dinner or social event as long as it is handled responsibly, and the given that you aren't driving. I am just trying to learn your viewpoint, maybe gain a new perspective.

Another question for everyone. My parishes Summer Festival. It is definitely for families, with kids carnival games and fair rides. Also has food booths, live music (geared for adults), gambling (adults only), and sells beer/wine. There are police all over the festival making sure of the safety of all visitors. Is it wrong for our church to sell alcohol at this event? I can tell you it is there biggest seller. I see nothing wrong with it, we have never had an incident of drunken crazy behavior and it attracts a lot of non parishioners and is always a fun time for all.
I agree with everything you said and I absolutely do not think it is wrong for the church to sell alcohol.

I see no issue with it. We always have some type of alcohol in our house. Most of our social events with friends and family include alcohol. We do have some in our family that act as if alcohol is the devil. It's comical to me.

My grandmother (and other family members) made comments about me having alcohol at my son's HS grad party. I told them they didn't have to come if they didn't agree with it. Same with DD's quinceanera next year. I've heard "it's a kids event. you shouldn't have alcohol." Yea the party is in honor of my kids but we cater to our GUESTS. Yet these are the same people who drank like fish when I was a kid. The hypocrisy. LOL

Would I take my kids to an event that was centered around drinking? It would depend on the event and my kids ages. DD14 would love to go to a winery and eat cheese and crackers while we tried wine. She's very social like that. Would I take a 3 year old? No, mostly because I want to enjoy myself without tending to a toddler and I wouldn't want my toddler to annoy other guests who are enjoying a day or night out.

I believe in showing children responsible drinking at a young age. That's how they learn. I do think American's have a strange view of alcohol.

In this context YES (obviously).

Events for those 18 - 20 should not include alcohol, as they are not legally allowed to be drinking. I do not want to (in fact won't participate) in any type of discussion about whether they "should" be allowed to drink or not.
Gotcha.

Yeah wasn't referring to should or shouldn't there so you're good :)

In this context YES (obviously).

Events for those 18 - 20 should not include alcohol, as they are not legally allowed to be drinking. I do not want to (in fact won't participate) in any type of discussion about whether they "should" be allowed to drink or not.
Interesting, here almost every celebration includes alcohol, first birthday parties, graduations, christenings, communions... Even HS sports end of season dinners have alcohol, either byo or for purchase, depending on the venue. At HS football games many walk across the street to the Elks to buy a beer or two. Our Saint Patrick’s Day parade was Saturday, all of the bar/restaurants in town had things set up for kids in the beer tents.

american are strange in how they perceive alcohol in a social setting. No wonder college kids go nuts once they are out of the house.
Culturally speaking yes alcohol is one of our taboo type things.

But don't equate that to mean other countries don't have their own issues.

A study in 2015 in Germany "14.1% of the 12– to 17-year-olds surveyed had practiced binge drinking at least once in the preceding 30 days. The school program “Klar bleiben” (“Keep a Clear Head”) was designed for and implemented among 10th graders. The participants committed themselves to abstain from binge drinking for 9 weeks." (Bolding is mine because we're talking about 10th graders!). Additionally "Germany’s Federal Centre for Health Education (Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung, BZgA) estimates that in 2015 almost 70% of 12– to 17-year-olds in Germany had already drunk alcohol, and that approximately 1 in 7 adolescents had consumed 4 or more alcoholic drinks on at least one of the last 30 days. "

For the U.S. the information I found was from 2018 so not a tit for tat and the ages do include a bit more but close enough " According to the 2018 NSDUH, approximately 4.3 million people (about 11.4 percent) ages 12–20 (11.3 percent of males and 11.4 percent of females) reported binge drinking in the past month."

I think you could also look at drinking ages here. For instance in Germany it's 16 (age 18 for harder liquor). Beer can be given to kids as young as 14 if they are in the presence of their parents/guardians. For the U.S. Federally it's 21 with states having various exceptions allowable. Are the behaviors between the two countries really that different? Binge drinking seems to be a problem amongst the youth in both. Or is it really just a different age bracket/time period in one's life where the binge drinking is more prevalent between the countries?

The wedding is an event for ADULTS (the couple getting married), not children. The graduation party is FOR the minor/children. It is not the children SEEING the adults drinking that is the issue for me. It is who the event is being held for. Being held for adults, with children in attendance - okay. Being held for a child, with adults in attendance - not okay.

A good host provides for all their guests. The party may be to "honor" a child, or minor but if adults are invited that party is also for them to enjoy.
I get that people disapprove, but personally I think it's a bit too sheltering. There is nothing illegal or immoral about alcohol, it isn't going to scar kids for life seeing adults have a drink.

Which I’m guessing they can do without alcohol.

Of course they can, nobody said otherwise.
It's a drink option for those who want it, again not illegal or immoral therefore not inappropriate.

There is a difference between binger parties, falling down drunk and having a beer, wine or a cocktail, or even 2 at a party. They are not mutually exclusive, serving alcohol does not always equal a drunken fest.

I don't see an issue, but my kids would because they get bored out of their minds whenever I drag them to some tap room to try some new beers.

I don't think that it's inappropriate. In my personal opinion, I'd just rather not see kids at an "adult" type event because it's just that...an event for adults. I will also say I don't have kids or particularly want them so we attend adult events because there usually aren't children present. Would I call out or think badly of someone who brought their child to an event (if they allowed all ages)? No not at all. I worked at a winery for a few years and while it wasn't super common, people would show up with kids while they did a tasting or enjoyed a glass of wine or pint of beer on the deck. It was a non-issue.

As for family type events such as grad parties, weddings, birthdays, etc...you'd be hard pressed to find a party around here that doesn't include adult beverages, whether children are present or not. I don't know if it was because I come from a big Irish Catholic family, but alcohol was always at a gathering. Heck, a child's first birthday party isn't really for the child, it's for adults to socialize and have a good time, usually with cocktails. Grad parties were the same way.

Drinking alcohol responsibly isn't taboo, it's not something to be hidden away or kept secret. I think there are much more important things to worry about than whether a kid sees a legal adult with a beer in their hand.

No. I took my then 9 year old to Epcot during food & wine. NEVER AGAIN. But I’d go adults only, but sloppy drunks of that level - I had no idea what I was exposing my kid to and quickly departed.

Which I’m guessing they can do without alcohol.
That's usually where the conversations start to become one extreme over another because I've never met a person who has or does drink alcohol to actually say "I can't enjoy such and such without alcohol". I always here that line of defense from those who have more of a no-alcohol or much stricter viewpoint on alcohol.

**Not saying that's you just my own observation.

I always here that line of defense from those who have more of a no-alcohol or much stricter viewpoint on alcohol.
I don't have a no alcohol viewpoint. I drink and have no issues with " you" having a drink. I just don't see that alcohol needs to be offered or consumed at an event designed for kids/under 21. My one year olds birthday or my 18 yo graduation is a celebration celebration of HER and providing alcohol just wouldn't be something I would do.

As has been discussed many other times. It is how one grows up. Alcohol was never part of celebrations, holiday's, etc. So it is normal to me. If you grew up with it as part of your family's celebrations it may be odd to have it NOT be offered.

yeo I think it’s wrong to drink in front of kids. Never have and Never will. I know I’m in the minority but that’s the way I feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter